Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Just when I start feeling good about liking Sims 4...

...in comes LGR with another review that really brings me down. It's a shame that we have different views on it. I used to like his videos, but all he does is complain now. And since everyone takes his word as law here, I feel like the odd one out.
Origin ID: theAidster21

The Sims has always been an important part of my life, and may it continue to be so! Long live Sims!

[Due to some kind of glitch, I am unable to insert photos into my signature for some reason.]

Comments

• Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    SimFan298 wrote: »
    ...in comes LGR with another review that really brings me down. It's a shame that we have different views on it. I used to like his videos, but all he does is complain now. And since everyone takes his word as law here, I feel like the odd one out.

I don't think "everyone" here takes his word as law. I see plenty of dissent in every thread that gets started about his reviews. (Personally, I don't watch any video reviews - I get too impatient with them - but if I did, I'd do what I do with any other review: check some past reviews to see if I tend to agree with their opinions. If not, then I know they're not the reviewer for me.)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Well it isn't everyone, but he certainly has a very devoted following among some circles within the forum. For me, he's the only talking head for the series that I am aware of, mostly because his devotees come running to the forums to tell us each time he descends from the mountaintop with new tablets of stone. That sort of thing doesn't happen with other YouTubers here.
  • Options
    FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member

Well, I would recommend that you "mute" it while watching revues. That way you won't hear what they say, but you will see everything that comes in the pack!

I find LGR reviews entertaining. But I don't always agree with him and I don't take his word as law. I am sure you are not the odd one out ;)
  • Options
    TrashmagicTrashmagic Posts: 977 Member
    You could simply not watch his videos if they upset you this much?
    I'm not sure why people get so huffy about his videos and people openly enjoying them... :D
  • Options
    JayandMeekaJayandMeeka Posts: 2,377 Member
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    Well it isn't everyone, but he certainly has a very devoted following among some circles within the forum. For me, he's the only talking head for the series that I am aware of, mostly because his devotees come running to the forums to tell us each time he descends from the mountaintop with new tablets of stone. That sort of thing doesn't happen with other YouTubers here.

Haha how.. accurate. Made me chuckle.

@DeservedCriticism I have to say that was quite the interesting read there.. but if I may I think you're reading too much into OPs post. For me, it's like a little child showing off their new toy that they're so excited about to their friend.. and the friend comes back and spits on it. I, for one, refuse to state where I stand on the whole LGR fanbase because that's a can of worms I don't want to open.. but all I'm saying is that OP perhaps feels as though someone brought down the mood of excitement around something they're looking forward to.

I completely understand your post and found the read rather enjoyable. I'm just not sure it's that deep for OP.
  • Options
    JayandMeekaJayandMeeka Posts: 2,377 Member
    I watch his reviews because he is smart, funny and I really like his voice - which is more important to me than it should be regarding Let's Plays. Anyway, I have realized a long time ago that he plays The Sims very differently than I do, so I take his views into consideration, but his verdict rarely has anything to do with my decision of whether I like certain content and am going to buy it. You can respect and even appreciate someone's opinion without adopting it. Your play style should decide whether you purchase content not someone else's opinion about it.

how smart, accurate, and centered. :smile:
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    And that's what it comes down to. If you're enjoying something then it really doesn't matter what YouTubers or forum posters think. Like what you like.
  • Options
    CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    I like LGR's reviews, but you know... It's just a review. It's exactly like movies, games and music that almost everybody hates but you like. We all like something most people hate. Don't let others' opinions dictate what you like.
    Personally, I don't take reviews into account to make my opinion before buying. I rather wait for people to start playing and post their unedited videos. Raw videos, where you don't hear comments, just people playing, so I can see what interactions are available and all. I find them valuable, with Wiki articles and complete guides, for making my opinion about buying something, because they will always show more content than a review that must cut plenty of stuff to edit something that's just a few minutes long to be watchable without being boring.
  • Options
    Simmer_QueenSimmer_Queen Posts: 1 New Member
    Well we have a strong community of simmers on here and that's all that really matters, right?

• Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    edited March 2017
    I knew what LGR was gonna say before he recorded the video, so it's largely 'whatever' for me. What I find ridiculous is how folks around here are quick to say that not only is he honest, but he's the only honest one. :D Hey Clint, I didn't know IBM made pedastels for you to stand on! :p
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    I don't even know of any reviewers. I've never been interested. The game haters here take just about anything and turn it into a "fact" against Sims 4. Those people clearly have problems that are not even related to the game so there is no way I would ever let their opinions change mine.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • Options
    Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    I think it's great we have Simmers out there that can provide feedback on a specific pack. I always enjoy watching, but they never sway my opinion one way or another. A review is that...a review. There's no wrong way to play the Sims & everyone has their own game play style. LGR may not like the upcoming SP, but that doesn't mean I won't.
  • Options
    MonaveilMonaveil Posts: 652 Member
    edited March 2017
    My suggestion is stop watching his videos. I only managed to watch about 30 seconds of his Bowling "review" and decided that I will never waste my time watching any of his videos again. His "style" obviously appeals to many people though so, in the end, I guess that's what he's catering to. Look at all the attention he's gotten today while other reviews have gotten none.
  • Options
    PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    I don't take his word as law. It's obvious he's pretty much made up his mind before the review anyway. Who care what everyone else thinks? In the end it's whether you're having fun or not that matters.
  • Options
    Misa_wants_PepsiMisa_wants_Pepsi Posts: 229 Member
    edited March 2017

You shouldn't let anothers opinion diminish your enjoyment of something. Like what you like. Play what you enjoy. If you really don't like his content just don't watch them. There's many other content creators out there. And I'm sure (in fact I've seen the posts) there's many people on this forum that also share your view. So buck up chum
  • Options
    NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    There is nothing wrong with watching reviews and there is nothing wrong with a reviewer who has a different opinion about a game franchise. I actually watch most of LGRs content and I enjoy his series "Tech Tales" and his thrifting episodes.
    That being said, The Sims is a game that provides such a ridiculous amount of costumization that it allows for very different play styles to develop. I do not have to dismiss anyone's opinion on this game, I would even like to suggest that everyone is right and being honest, even if no one agrees and every single opinion differs. It is just a question of whether the base and material you are provided with has all or any properties that allow you to enjoy your experience.
    @KatyJay88 Thank you
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...