Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Show Me Your Lighting Mods

124...Next

Comments

• Options
    NeonHighwaysNeonHighways Posts: 1,508 Member
    Yes, if you import gelina's lighting tweaks it replaces the sunrise/sunset times in the mod you are using. But if you want to try it all you need to do is to open up gelina's tweaks and change the time and then you get to keep the times you prefer.

I'll see if I can figure out a way to take some screenshots.

OK, @Chellejo I downloaded an app called Bandicam and recorded a video. My first YouTube video. :p

I'm not sure how helpful it will be because I didn't add captions or anything and there is no sound. And you can ignore everything after I renamed the file. This was my first time using the thing so me stumbling around with it ain't pretty. :D

It starts with s3pe already open on my desktop. Then I go to FILE > NEW, then RESOURCE > IMPORT > FROM PACKAGE and I open the lighting file I want to edit (in this case Brntwaffles Blue Skies and Sunshine 1.5 LP Water with chance of Aurora.

Once that is open I press RESOURCE > IMPORT >FROM PACKAGE again and I go to the folder where I have gelina's lighting tweaks. I imported the one I tweaked, where I changed the sunset time. Then I SAVE AS. This file would then go in my Mods folder.

https://youtu.be/RqA7NMtpu0I

And this is how I altered gelina's lighting tweaks to change the time of the sunset.

https://youtu.be/hYn2WSI_Tk0

Wow, that was really nice of you! I didn't really notice that by merging the files I made the days be shorter, so it helped me too!
  • Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    edited February 2017
    @ChelleJo Yes, you first need to tweak the lighting tweak to reflect the sunset time that you want. Then you import your tweaked file into Perfect Day. (Actually you could import it and tweak it afterwards but since I'm trying different lighting mods I wanted to change gelina's settings.)

About your other mods, I'm curious - do they work now in conjunction with Brntwaffles Perfect Day lighting mod? Because if they do, I'm guessing they are either not included in Perfect Day to begin with OR they are over-riding Perfect Day settings.

You really don't have anything to lose to try it. Tweak gelina's tweak to change the setting file, then import it into Perfect Day and see if you notice any changes. Do your other mods still work?

You could even try importing those into Perfect Day but I have no idea if they are the same kind of file. That's not something I've tried before, but Brnwaffles says that she uses parts of other people's tweaks so I'm guessing she is importing them into her different lighting files (and maybe changing things as she likes, although I don't have any idea how to do that, I've only changed the sunrise/sunset times). The reason you have nothing to lose is that you rename the file each time you import another one so you could try it and if you don't like it just delete it and try something else. Just to be safe I probably wouldn't experiment on a valuable saved game but I really doubt you could hurt anything since package files don't change anything permanently with the game, at least not in my experience (unless it's a core mod).

@NeonHighways I'm glad it's helpful! When I imported gelina's settings it kept getting dark so early and then I figured it out. :)
    Post edited by HappySimmer3 on
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    I promise I will stop taking pics soon! LOL

Brntwaffles Blue Skies and Sunshine lighting mod with LP water and 10% chance of aurora (there is no zero aurora option unfortunately). I changed the sunrise/sunset times in gelina's lighting tweaks file then imported it into the mod. Shown in Lucky Palms.

32291557263_25f68bfbd1_c.jpg

32950431732_7aab958eae_c.jpg

32309941213_fdf5c258cb_c.jpg

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Stunning!
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    @ChelleJo Yes, you first need to tweak the lighting tweak to reflect the sunset time that you want. Then you import your tweaked file into Perfect Day. (Actually you could import it and tweak it afterwards but since I'm trying different lighting mods I wanted to change gelina's settings.)

About your other mods, I'm curious - do they work now in conjunction with Brntwaffles Perfect Day lighting mod? Because if they do, I'm guessing they are either not included in Perfect Day to begin with OR they are over-riding Perfect Day settings.

You really don't have anything to lose to try it. Tweak gelina's tweak to change the setting file, then import it into Perfect Day and see if you notice any changes. Do your other mods still work?

You could even try importing those into Perfect Day but I have no idea if they are the same kind of file. That's not something I've tried before, but Brnwaffles says that she uses parts of other people's tweaks so I'm guessing she is importing them into her different lighting files (and maybe changing things as she likes, although I don't have any idea how to do that, I've only changed the sunrise/sunset times). The reason you have nothing to lose is that you rename the file each time you import another one so you could try it and if you don't like it just delete it and try something else. Just to be safe I probably wouldn't experiment on a valuable saved game but I really doubt you could hurt anything since package files don't change anything permanently with the game, at least not in my experience (unless it's a core mod).

@NeonHighways I'm glad it's helpful! When I imported gelina's settings it kept getting dark so early and then I figured it out. :)

Thank you! Sorry it took me a minute to reply. I appreciate all your help! :) I'll probably try to add the tweak later today (if I get to play) and test it out. Beautiful pictures of Lucky Palm, btw. <3 them!
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    Odonata68Odonata68 Posts: 1,076 Member
    @HappySimmer3 Wow... just Wow!
  • Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    Gorgeous!!!!
  • Options
    RevanRevan Posts: 127 Member
    Holy cow @HappySimmer3 :open_mouth:

Absolutely gorgeous pictures! This is only my personal preference (obviously), but whenever I come into this thread (and the other rather active thread where we showcase our dull and lifeless Sims and their equally dreary environments/daily lives ;D), I can't help but look at TS4 and find its graphics a little bland, despite the undeniable colourfulness/cuteness of it all. I've been never blown away by a TS4 screenshot as much as I've been just now by looking at all of those beautiful screenshots here in this section. (Please don't me wrong though, haha - I like TS4 [parts of it] and I don't mean to sound like I'm bashing the game or something ;_;)
    "Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?"

• Options
    Loving all of these pictures!

I haven't had a chance to make many scenery pictures because I've been building, but here's my little contribution :mrgreen:

Screenshot-3_zps7x7v2v5l.jpg

Screenshot_zpsamhfccjs.jpg

Screenshot-98_zpskbswlfal.jpg

Screenshot-92_zpswoduhpnf.jpg
  • Options
    GITTE2001GITTE2001 Posts: 2,638 Member
    I just started a new save in Bridgeport and I think I'll use a lightning mod there. This topic made me do it xD
  • Options
    petalbotpetalbot Posts: 1,423 Member
    Wow, more nice pics posted since I've been away. Thanks for posting that tutorial @HappySimmer3! I was thinking it would be nice to combine Gelina's tweaks into one of the others.

I have more comparisons. This time I have Buhudain's v5.655 GOLD, Brntwaffles St. Clair, Perfect Day and Dream Dimension. I will post my previous pics here to have all the comparison's in one place. I'll be back later with pics from other worlds. I want to try out St. Clair in other worlds.

All comparisons done in Sunset Valley since everyone knows what that world looks like.

Sunset Valley 7 am.
    lighting%207am.jpg

lighting%2020%207am.jpg

lighting%207am_2.jpg

lighting%2019%207am.jpg

Sunset Valley 12:00 pm
    lighting%2012pm.jpg

lighting%2012%2012pm.jpg

lighting12pm_2.jpg

lighting%2011%2012pm.jpg

Sunset Valley 5:00 pm
    Lighting%205pm.jpg

lighting%2013%205pm.jpg

lighting%205pm_2.jpg

lighting%2014%205pm.jpg

Sunset Valley 7:30 pm
    lighting730pm.jpg

lighting%2016%20730pm.jpg

lighting%20730pm_2.jpg

lighting%2015%20730pm.jpg

Sunset Valley 11:30 pm
    lighting%201130pm.jpg
    Ooops! typo on this pic. All were taken at 11:30pm

lighting%2017%201130pm.jpg

lighting%201130pm_2.jpg

lighting%2018%201130pm.jpg

I might add a couple more comparisons at a later time. Maybe blue skies $ sunshine and Buhudain's gold with a couple of the other options.
    sigg.gif

• Options
    Oooh they're all gorgeous! Thank you for sharing @petalbot. I wish there was a way that lighting mods could randomise between all of them! Beautiful!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! Although all I did was aim the camera. :p

@petalbot thanks again for the lovely side-by-side pictures! Those really illustrate the differences between the different lighting mods. Very helpful!

@aricarai which lighting mod did you use? Is that just with gelina's lighting tweaks alone? Beautiful pictures!

• Options
    @HappySimmer3 - Thank you! I went with Fresh Cut Day on its own, no tweaks! :smile:
  • Options
    I think it looks great in Bridgeport!

• Options
    Supersoph13Supersoph13 Posts: 647 Member
    I have found this thread very interesting, kudos to you all :smile:

I have just added Fresh Cut Day into my game thanks to the wonderful comparison shots @petalbot posted. I have umm-ed and ahh-ed over which new lighting mod to try as I wasnt impressed with my previous mod and thanks to your post I was able to finally make a very easy decision! It looks like a new world and it has made my custom world a beauty! Love it.
    I dont think I would have even picked that one out, I had found it before and discarded it as not what I was looking for :lol: ...shows how much I know! :lol: Thanks again!
    My Sim, living her best life...
    pxs8nzx2nk1b.png
    #RagsToRiches
  • Options
    petalbotpetalbot Posts: 1,423 Member
    Here are some shots of Brntwaffles St. Clair with St. Clair water in a few different towns. No edits.
    Twinbrook
    Screenshot-45.jpg

Screenshot-47.jpg

University - I think Uni had good lighting on its own, but here it is with the mod anyway.
    Screenshot-51.jpg

Screenshot-56.jpg

Bridgeport
    Screenshot-77.jpg

Screenshot-80.jpg

Appaloosa Plains
    Screenshot-74_1.jpg

Sunset Valley
    Screenshot-88.jpg

Screenshot-96.jpg
    sigg.gif

• Options
    xitneverendssxitneverendss Posts: 1,772 Member
    edited February 2017
    Gorgeous pictures everyone! Since we're talking about tweaking world files for lighting mods, I did have a question. I wanted to tweak a store world so that my lighting mod would show up but I can't get the store worlds to open in s3pe. Expansion pack worlds open fine but store worlds don't for some reason. Anyone know why?

Never mind, figured this out eventually after a ton of digging!
    Post edited by xitneverendss on
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited March 2017
    @JoAnne65 Great pics :) This is the moon I use:

http://potato-ballad-sims.tumblr.com/post/132236536504/flings-open-door-hey-ive-also-got-candy
    tumblr_ocppilWEQh1ssiu0eo1_1280.png

I have a faint memory of you asking me questions about lighting mods sometime last year or maybe even before that. You wanted to know what was so different about them vs EAs lighting. I wonder if you prefer mods over EAs lighting now.
    I changed moons (great line isn't it ;)?), the one you linked.

maan02_orig.png

maan03_orig.png

maan_orig.png

(combined with brntwaffle's sky and snow; curious what the difference will be but I'll have to wait for wintertime for that)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    MrDavidVeigaMrDavidVeiga Posts: 34 Member
    This is my own lighting mod. I already published it for download and took some pics in game to show how it works in game.
    Dawning
    Screenshot-479.jpg
    Screenshot-480.jpg
    Screenshot-481.jpg
    Day
    Screenshot-505.jpg
    Screenshot-499.jpg
    Screenshot-498.jpg
    Sunset
    Screenshot-486.jpg
    Screenshot-487.jpg
    Screenshot-491.jpg