Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Show Me Your Lighting Mods

Comments

• Options
    RevanRevan Posts: 127 Member
    edited February 2017
    Revan wrote: »
    Hey guys, I have to bother you with a plum question, but I can't seem to find an answer for it anywhere else. I've downloaded this lighting mod by brntwaffles (Update 3.0 with Lucky Palms water and no Aurora) and these clouds by Nilxis, put them both in my Mods folder (Documents>Electronic Arts>The Sims 3>Mods>Packages>Lighting Mod + Clouds) and...well, nothing has changed, really. I don't see any difference and the clouds don't even show up as far as I can tell. I'm currently playing in Bridgeport, my graphics settings are all on the highest level possible except for High Detail Lots (it's set on 4), Draw Distance (it's set on medium) and Tree Detail (which is set on high). Now, I'm no stranger to downloading/installing mods and CC, but I'm pretty sure I did something wrong. I just don't know what it is...any input is appreciated. :) And if you need more info/screenshots, let me know! Thanks!

I'm pretty sure it's because Bridgeport already has custom lighting. The mod you're trying to use only works in worlds with no custom lighting already unless you edit some sort of file but I don't know anything about that lol. So if you were to use that mod in like Sunset Valley or Hidden Springs or most custom worlds, you'd then be able to see the lighting mod.

Not sure about the clouds though? I would think that would work in any town.

Thank you and @aricarai so much for your input. :) I've actually downloaded a different lighting mod by the same creator and now I am spotting a noticeable difference in lighting. So I most likely just didn't realize before that there was a difference in lighting with the other mod, haha~ -.- Sorry about that!

As for the clouds: I'll download another replacement for them, maybe this one right here and perhaps this will work, since the other one just doesn't show up for me in the game. :neutral:

"Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?"

• Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited February 2017
    @Revan Some sim days no clouds appear just like in real life. Don't know if you played for more than a sim day but that could be it.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    @Revan Some sim days no clouds appear just like in real life. Don't know if you played for more than a sim day but that could be it.

Oh yeah, I hope this is it - I've installed a different replacement for the clouds (the one I mentioned in my last post), and with it came a couple other ones for the stars, the moon, the sun, etc. They all work fine, so you might be right about the clouds not always appearing. I've only played for roughly 2 sim days, so hopefully they'll show up eventually. The lighting mod looks so pretty, but a litte bland without some fluffy clouds IMO. ^_^ I've attached a couple screenshots below, just to show you what it looks like in-game. Anyway, I guess I'll just have to play for an extended period of time and see if this'll do anything~

Thank you for your input!

Here are three screenshots, each taken at a different time of day; no clouds in sight, however, I really love the improved lighting:

33040810195_2448598fa9_z.jpg

32914434531_3ed67dce40_z.jpg

32914435551_8420b07a4a_z.jpg

• Options
    CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    I've noticed that when I load a save for the first time, even if it's a duplicated save, there are no clouds. If I save, quit and reload, there are clouds the second time.
  • Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    edited February 2017
    I took a dozen screenshots but I'm just posting one. Brntwaffles Blue Skies and Sunshine with Lucky Palms water. I may have imported dDefender's dynamic shadows into the file with S3PE but I didn't compare it without importing the shadows so no idea if this is the same thing either way. Also using Nilxis Realistic Clouds.

It sure is purty. :D

32663658340_ff247e15eb_c.jpg

Edited to Add: Yes, I had imported dDefender's dynamic shadows into this mod. But I haven't compared it with a before and after to know whether it's the same lighting either way.
    Post edited by HappySimmer3 on
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    jillbgjillbg Posts: 4,600 Member
    @petalbot That was fantastic! :) You've put in a lot of work to show the differences between the lighting mods! :o Concerning spoilers, just write spoiler instead of img and voilà!
    NymlADp.jpg
  • Options
    Candyd wrote: »
    I've noticed that when I load a save for the first time, even if it's a duplicated save, there are no clouds. If I save, quit and reload, there are clouds the second time.

Thank you for the suggestion @Candyd ... I've tried to replicate this method in my game, unfortunately, it didn't work. ;_; Apparently there's another possible solution for this problem that I haven't seen before - I found it on MTS. It says that you have to enable Advanced Rendering , so I might try this later. I've been playing for a sim week, still no clouds...too bad. :/

• Options
    lanlynlanlyn Posts: 5,031 Member
    @petalbot Thank you for posting the side-by-side comparisons. That was very helpful! :)

And I enjoy seeing everyone's beautiful scenery screenshots! B)
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    @Simasaurus09 Thanks, that's awesome :smiley: And yes, clearing cache has become a habit after playing ever since I've been using mods. I'm going to try it in a minute, if I'm blown away I'll share the result here ^.^
    Well, it took me a couple of days but here I am ;) Installed it and tested it in Monte Vista.

Screenshot-1215_zpsxrdawwib.png

Screenshot-1220_zpslmjp6jq9.png

Screenshot-1225_zpsjaxbccwg.png

Screenshot-1235a_zps8mynliaa.png

Screenshot-1238_zpsqpzly1ku.png

Screenshot-1245_zpsvz5vvfsp.png

Screenshot-1249_zpsizprdelw.png

(yeah, love that lighthouse, can you tell? :p )

Love it. Not entirely sure about the moon though..., maybe it's a bit too much.

(I have Wasset_BetterSnow, Wasset_EnchantedMoon_v2 and Wasset_EnchantedSky, all Brntwaffles)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    @JoAnne65 Great pics :) This is the moon I use:

http://potato-ballad-sims.tumblr.com/post/132236536504/flings-open-door-hey-ive-also-got-candy
    tumblr_ocppilWEQh1ssiu0eo1_1280.png

I have a faint memory of you asking me questions about lighting mods sometime last year or maybe even before that. You wanted to know what was so different about them vs EAs lighting. I wonder if you prefer mods over EAs lighting now.
  • Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    Gorgeous @JoAnne65 :mrgreen:
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    @Simasaurus09 I think I prefer that moon (the one you show). Thanks, I'll try that one instead.
    I certainly like what I see in my game now, but I'm a bit hesitant when it starts to feel 'too much' for me. I don't want it to become kind of 'otherworldly' beautiful myself, with all kind of colours and lighting effects. I love that in screenshots, but when playing I want it to look a bit more plain. I guess I'll always be a 'Maxis Match but a little better' kind of simmer ;)
    (I believe I don't have a real lighting mod yet by the way, this is only sky, moon and snow?; I think I'll also try the other brntwaffles mod gaiahypothesis posted, this one. In any case I'm really glad I can experiment with this in such an easy way, without having to mess with codes!

@aricarai Thanks :smiley:
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Yaaay, I've finally got the clouds to show up in my game! Easily enough, I just had to enable Advanced Rendering. :)

33075946215_4e2de06da2_h.jpg

32949049041_cb60171e1d_h.jpg

I've decided to stick with the "Perfect Day Default Lighting Mod" by brntwaffles - it's a blend of the skies in Roaring Heights and Utopian Oasis Landing. Additionally, I've also decided to keep the various replacements for the moon, sun, stars, clouds, etc. I'm really happy with the results. :)

• Options
    NeonHighwaysNeonHighways Posts: 1,508 Member
    Wow, this thread was amazing, and really made me stop with the TS4 fanboyism and appreciate TS3 yet again. There's no beating these open worlds!

@GaiaHypothesis Those environmental mods were such a find! They look so much better than what I use, I love the stars, sun and moon. It also affects the snow, which is awesome!

@Jessa_Dakkar The lighting mod you use has the best lighting effect to me, it looks like it's another game and I really appreciate it, but I can't get over how yellow some times of the day look, and I really don't want to mess with the files... I wish I could use it, in some senses it looks the best!

For now I'll use wasset's environmental mods and gelina's lighting tweaks, because I was already not using any lighting mod because I wanted every world to have it's unique lighting, and that makes it even better!
  • Options
    ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    @JoAnne65 I switched to BurntWaffles Perfect Day. It's not too over the top (honestly, I could handle a bit more over the top, but it's still very nice) during the day and night isn't super dark, it's pretty light out. I've found other mods that I liked during the daytime, but the nights are like pitch black and without lights I can't see my sims or take pictures, but that's not the case with BW Perfect Day.

I'd share a couple pictures, but I honestly can't recall which scenery pics are with Perfect Day and which is with others. But when I start my game again, I'll snap a couple day and night pictures and show you.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    NeonHighwaysNeonHighways Posts: 1,508 Member
    ChelleJo wrote: »
    @JoAnne65 I switched to BurntWaffles Perfect Day. It's not too over the top (honestly, I could handle a bit more over the top, but it's still very nice) during the day and night isn't super dark, it's pretty light out. I've found other mods that I liked during the daytime, but the nights are like pitch black and without lights I can't see my sims or take pictures, but that's not the case with BW Perfect Day.

I'd share a couple pictures, but I honestly can't recall which scenery pics are with Perfect Day and which is with others. But when I start my game again, I'll snap a couple day and night pictures and show you.

I've tried all of brntwaffles lighting mods, and my favorite is Perfect Day with Roaring Height's water. It's not too over the top but also not too normal looking. I used it mixed with gelina's lighting tweaks and it made everything so beautiful! It's not hard to mix them in s3pe, you could try that!
  • Options
    @ChelleJo @NeonHighways Thanks, I will try that one then :smiley: There are six possibilities I see, I'll just try them all and pick the one that suits me best. I must add by the way that one of the things I love about TS3 worlds are the unique atmospheres. So I don't really want Dragon Valley to have an Aurora Skies feel and I'm about to start my sim's life in IP, I do hope that world will still feel like IP. Well, there's ony one way to find out: try it ;)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options

I've tried all of brntwaffles lighting mods, and my favorite is Perfect Day with Roaring Height's water. It's not too over the top but also not too normal looking. I used it mixed with gelina's lighting tweaks and it made everything so beautiful! It's not hard to mix them in s3pe, you could try that!

I'm using the one with IP waters. How hard is gelina's lighting tweaks? With instructions I tend to get lost reading them, I do better with pictures or video to show me step by step. I'm more of a hands-on learner.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    @ChelleJo

• Options

I'm using the one with IP waters. How hard is gelina's lighting tweaks? With instructions I tend to get lost reading them, I do better with pictures or video to show me step by step. I'm more of a hands-on learner.

If you have ever opened a package file in S3Pe then you have already done what it takes to tweak a lighting mod.

You use the 'resource > import > from package' to open it in S3PE. When it's open in S3PE you use the 'resource > Import > from package' commands again, only this time open the tweaks you want to include (gelina's tweaks for example). You will see a line crossed through one of the files and a new one created; just use 'save as' and rename it and now you have a tweaked lighting mod.

One thing I didn't like about gelina's lighting tweaks is that it has EA's regular sunrise and sunset times, 6am-6pm. So I first opened gelina's file and found the part where it mentioned sunrise/sunset and changed the 18 (6pm) to 20 (8pm sunset) with notepad, then used save as on that. Then that is the file I imported.

I'd do screenshots for you but I have no clue how to do that on my current PC.

• Options
    Thank you @Simasaurus09 and @HappySimmer3 I did notice the time of sunrise/sunset on the tweaks... that would override the lighting mod? Cause my lighting mod keeps it daylight longer and I'm don't want to go back to early sunsets.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Yes, if you import gelina's lighting tweaks it replaces the sunrise/sunset times in the mod you are using. But if you want to try it all you need to do is to open up gelina's tweaks and change the time and then you get to keep the times you prefer.

I'll see if I can figure out a way to take some screenshots.

OK, @Chellejo I downloaded an app called Bandicam and recorded a video. My first YouTube video. :p

I'm not sure how helpful it will be because I didn't add captions or anything and there is no sound. And you can ignore everything after I renamed the file. This was my first time using the thing so me stumbling around with it ain't pretty. :D

It starts with s3pe already open on my desktop. Then I go to FILE > NEW, then RESOURCE > IMPORT > FROM PACKAGE and I open the lighting file I want to edit (in this case Brntwaffles Blue Skies and Sunshine 1.5 LP Water with chance of Aurora.

Once that is open I press RESOURCE > IMPORT >FROM PACKAGE again and I go to the folder where I have gelina's lighting tweaks. I imported the one I tweaked, where I changed the sunset time. Then I SAVE AS. This file would then go in my Mods folder.

https://youtu.be/RqA7NMtpu0I

And this is how I altered gelina's lighting tweaks to change the time of the sunset.

https://youtu.be/hYn2WSI_Tk0
    Post edited by HappySimmer3 on

• Options
    lanlynlanlyn Posts: 5,031 Member
    @HappySimmer3 Thank you SO much for those videos. The second one is very helpful to me. I like Gelina's Lighting Tweaks, but I also want longer days. I was afraid the package would be difficult to edit, but after watching your video, I'm sure I can do that. I've done a little editing of packages before, so I'm comfortable trying this now with the Lighting Tweaks. :)
  • Options
    You are very welcome. It couldn't be simpler! And I'm definitely not a modder or anything. :p

Well, I guess you could say I know how to mod the mod now. :D

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Yes, if you import gelina's lighting tweaks it replaces the sunrise/sunset times in the mod you are using. But if you want to try it all you need to do is to open up gelina's tweaks and change the time and then you get to keep the times you prefer.

I'll see if I can figure out a way to take some screenshots.

OK, @Chellejo I downloaded an app called Bandicam and recorded a video. My first YouTube video. :p

I'm not sure how helpful it will be because I didn't add captions or anything and there is no sound. And you can ignore everything after I renamed the file. This was my first time using the thing so me stumbling around with it ain't pretty. :D

It starts with s3pe already open on my desktop. Then I go to FILE > NEW, then RESOURCE > IMPORT > FROM PACKAGE and I open the lighting file I want to edit (in this case Brntwaffles Blue Skies and Sunshine 1.5 LP Water with chance of Aurora.

Once that is open I press RESOURCE > IMPORT >FROM PACKAGE again and I go to the folder where I have gelina's lighting tweaks. I imported the one I tweaked, where I changed the sunset time. Then I SAVE AS. This file would then go in my Mods folder.

https://youtu.be/RqA7NMtpu0I

And this is how I altered gelina's lighting tweaks to change the time of the sunset.

https://youtu.be/hYn2WSI_Tk0

@HappySimmer3 OMG, thank you so much for those videos! I watched them and that makes it super easy for me to follow. One quick question, A couple quick questions, I have THESE installed with the perfect day lighting mod. Will the tweaks effect them at all? Will it work together? I'd adjust the sunrise/sunset in the tweaks before I "merge" the tweaks with the lighting mod, correct?
    p8L4V6v.png