Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does your game run on high settings with no lag?

124...Next

Comments

• Options
    Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    I can play on ultra settings just fine. I do get some lag but still get 60 fps. Normally I get between 40-60 if I move around a lot. I think the only time I find the lag unbearable is in San Myshuno. But I'm doing a lot of upgrades this year since I just got this desktop in September. Coming from someone who played on a MBP before, the gameplay is literally night and day.
    1FKDfKj.png
  • Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    edited February 2017
    One of the frustrations that I had had when buying a new laptop. I really wanted to play TS4 on ultra settings. And I'm not even a hardcore gamer. I was choosing what to buy so hard that a salesman finally asked me what game I would like to play on the laptop. They laughed when I said the sims. My laptop specs are as follows.

PROCESSOR: i7 6500U CPU @ 2.6 Ghz
    VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GTX 950
    MEMORY: 8 GB RAM

According to what I tested, on ultra settings, I can run the game without lag and with speed x3. Not in San Myshuno! I have lags with speed x3.
    Even the graphic is on medium settings or lower, San Myshuno festivals lag much more than home lot.
    I found out that for my laptop, edge smoothing is the only factor that is holding back fast game performance. I can play the game really well with other settings on max with edge smoothing low.

So can any IT person or computer person enlighten me whether it's the game itself or my laptop that needs a fix?
    Is it because of my processor speed not being fast enough?
    It's a combination of things. All the operations required to run a game goes through the processor, just like everything else on the computer. The graphics card 'writes' everything to the screen and updates it, and depending on what it can handle and how much memory that is dedicated to the graphics card, it's faster or slower. The amount of RAM helps with how much can be 'pre-processed'. That's part of why the game runs better when you lower the settings, because the computer doesn't have to load as much in the memory. But if you set everything to high or ultra, then more memory is used until the lag starts. Or if you load a crazy amount of objects or cc - like a really big lot with lots of objects. But even if you have alot of memory, everything still has to go through the processor, and if things 'queue' up there, the game lags. If the graphics card doesn't have enough memory dedicated, the game lags, or if it's not fast enough to handle the graphics output, the game lags.

tl;dr: It's a combination of things.

Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    This is the desktop requirements and it is a mid range gaming desktop to survive the game

RECOMMENDED SPECS:
    PROCESSOR: Intel core i5 or faster, AMD Athlon X4
    VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GTX 650 or better
    MEMORY: 4 GB RAM
    HARD DRIVE: 15 GB of Hard Drive space

This is basically my PC.

Windows 7, 64-bit
    Intel Core i5 3570 @ 3.40GHz
    6 GB RAM
    GeForce GTX 650

I can play The Witcher 3 in medium/high settings just fine (sure, there's a fps drop, but it doesn't bother me that much) and yet, it can't play TS4 on ultra anymore. I don't understand how a game like TS4 requires so much from PCs. I could play it on ultra at launch with zero lag, but now it's starting to lag like crazy and I only have two packs installed so far. And it's the type of lag that annoys me the most, which is when the game doesn't respond for a few seconds, specially when I zoom out/in or move the camera around. But then people say they have great PCs and they still experience lag, so I never know if the problem is from my PC or from the game, which is so frustrating. But if I could play the game fine at launch but not anymore, then I'm guessing it will only get worse as more patches and packs get released, to the point where the supposedly "recommended specs" (which should mean you can play the game just fine with at least medium settings, sometimes more) won't be true at all.

I have no explanation why TS4 is so powerful. It is also extremely CPU heavy too. I know the game is playing plum for a lot of people that meet or exceed the recommended requirements. Tech and Bugs section have people posting all kinds of issues. The issues have been worse on some low end PCs that don't meet requirements. A lot of this stuff has been reported to EA and they should check into it. The fact that the game is locked into origin does not help either. Some reported some of the problems maybe cause by origin.
  • Options
    Simanite wrote: »
    Simanite wrote: »
    @BrownGamerGurl1 Desktop. 32GB memory and i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz. GeForce GTX 980 graphics.

Wow thats a lot of Ram . No wonder.

No one needs 32 gb of ram. This desktop with the 17 , 32 gb ram and a 980 card is over kill for the sims . No one needs more than 8 to 16 gb of computer ram depending on the games they are playing. There are some heavier games on the market that will require more than 8gb ram. If your only playing the sims you don;t need more than 8 gb

Gurl who says I don't need 32 GBs?

0rhoL-.gif

You may need 32 gb LOL. The average person does not. I have 16 but this game only requires 8 and op has a low budget so I don't even think more than 8 would fit in the budget ;)
  • Options
    AmaraStormAmaraStorm Posts: 80 Member
    I'm actually in the process of building my own PC because the one I have is not up to par with today's games and needs an upgrade. I'm running Sims 4 on Ultra with slight lag with a Nvidia gtx 770, 16g of ram and I don't even know what CPU. Brand new my computer ran everything on max settings no issue, but nowadays it's like, nope.... Not gonna. I want to play the Witcher 3, but if I'm going to have to play it on low settings I might as well just play the husbands copy on the Xbox.

I guess what I'm getting at.... Even with an i7 7700k, geforce 1080, and 16g of ram..... I'm still going to have lag with this game? Because while I do play other games, and am mainly building a new PC for Andromeda next month, I play Sims 4 more than anything else. I was hoping it would at least clear up a little lag.

• Options
    Big_Boy_Bmw760LiBig_Boy_Bmw760Li Posts: 93 Member
    iMac 5k user here. No lag so far.
  • Options
    Audio_5urfAudio_5urf Posts: 655 Member
    one thing i find that helps is playing offline. playing offline lets me play just under max without stutters.
    Lets make The Sims 4 great again!
    -- Origin ID: Audio5urf --
    Feel free to add me, and check out my gallery shenanigans.
  • Options
    AmaraStorm wrote: »
    I'm actually in the process of building my own PC because the one I have is not up to par with today's games and needs an upgrade. I'm running Sims 4 on Ultra with slight lag with a Nvidia gtx 770, 16g of ram and I don't even know what CPU. Brand new my computer ran everything on max settings no issue, but nowadays it's like, nope.... Not gonna. I want to play the Witcher 3, but if I'm going to have to play it on low settings I might as well just play the husbands copy on the Xbox.

I guess what I'm getting at.... Even with an i7 7700k, geforce 1080, and 16g of ram..... I'm still going to have lag with this game? Because while I do play other games, and am mainly building a new PC for Andromeda next month, I play Sims 4 more than anything else. I was hoping it would at least clear up a little lag.

EA is working on things. Some of us who help in tech are helping the Gurus and reporting issues. That i7 skylake and the 1080 is the highest hardware you can buy at the moment . If your game does lag more than likely it will be the game not your computer. If your playing other games like the witcher you should have no problem running that. I have a mid range gaming desktop and it can run the witcher 3 on high. It has an EVGA 960 superclock 4gb card, 16 gb ram and an i5 4000 series cpu. You will have no problem running most games on ultra with that rig. Leaving out games that may be optimized poorly. I know someone with the specs you want to buy and Planet coaster is still a mess for them (rolls eyes) . That game is powerful and optimized poorly