Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does your game run on high settings with no lag?

Comments

• Options
    beautimousbeautimous Posts: 108 Member
    I also sometimes play on my laptop, which also has AMD graphics, and though it runs quite well, it lags in san myshuno and pretty much anytime i have draw distance on high. It's about two years old, unsure of the specs atm but I can post those later on if you'd like, just so you can get an idea of what sort of laptops run ts4 at what capacity.

Two things I'd recommend for laptop gaming of any kind though, would be a good mouse and a cooling pad, with the cooling pad being crucial to laptop health and the mouse just making sims play waaaaay easier.
  • Options
    AmiutzaAmiutza Posts: 1,796 Member
    This game has a frame rate issues... Zooming out can cause drops in FPS. It doesn't effect everybody but there are quite a few people with this issue. Even high end machines get it. It's the game and EA needs to address it which I doubt they will at this point. That's the only issue my custom built desktop has with this game. (specs in siggy) My computer btw is overkill for sims but sims is not the only game I play.

Never ever get an all in one for gaming... this includes sims. Only get a laptop if you must be mobile because you really can't upgrade much on a laptop. Desktops will always be the best price-wise and performance-wise. It wouldn't hurt to stop by tech before you make your purchase. Cooling is very important and some known PC brands will cut corners by sticking parts in a very cramped cooling starved case not to mention cheap low wattage power supplies. Another issue with this game is it's very hard on CPUs generating a lot of heat and plenty of people have posted about their systems overheating because of this and they don't have a properly cooled case.
    The zoom out frame drop is probably due to the game running on DirectX 9 and no 11 compatibility (but fingers crossed they add it). The san myshuno lag affects high end computers pretty bad as well, so that's a fix that has to come from EA. It really is worth investing into a computer that will be able to run the entire game at ultra settings, I can't tell you the difference it makes. If I was at my pc atm I'd show you a side by side picture of low vs ultra, so if you're really interested in a comparison let me know.

For the op, memory aka RAM had nothing to do with the graphic settings. As long as you have 8gb of ram you don't need more, especially not for sims. The visuals are 100% relying on your graphics card, so the better it is, the better frames you get basically :) Hope that clarifies it a bit!
    hhHD2XB.png
    My tumblr - A world of clutter and color
  • Options
    chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    edited February 2017
    This game has a frame rate issues... Zooming out can cause drops in FPS. It doesn't effect everybody but there are quite a few people with this issue. Even high end machines get it. It's the game and EA needs to address it which I doubt they will at this point. That's the only issue my custom built desktop has with this game. (specs in siggy) My computer btw is overkill for sims but sims is not the only game I play.

Never ever get an all in one for gaming... this includes sims. Only get a laptop if you must be mobile because you really can't upgrade much on a laptop. Desktops will always be the best price-wise and performance-wise. It wouldn't hurt to stop by tech before you make your purchase. Cooling is very important and some known PC brands will cut corners by sticking parts in a very cramped cooling starved case not to mention cheap low wattage power supplies. Another issue with this game is it's very hard on CPUs generating a lot of heat and plenty of people have posted about their systems overheating because of this and they don't have a properly cooled case.

I find a lot of computers that meet requirements to run the game off the shelf. Have good cases but the PSU is so low. I already told op to make sure if they go for desktop they have at least a 500 watt PSU
    I saw. I only suggest they stop by tech before they purchase.

This would be a good deal It has a 600 watt psu https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883230168&cm_re=cyberpower_computer-_-83-230-168-_-Product

Remember it's not just about the wattage.. some off the self do come with seriously cheap power suppliers. not all do but allot of them do.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    xitneverendssxitneverendss Posts: 1,772 Member
    Amiutza wrote: »

The zoom out frame drop is probably due to the game running on DirectX 9 and no 11 compatibility (but fingers crossed they add it). The san myshuno lag affects high end computers pretty bad as well, so that's a fix that has to come from EA. It really is worth investing into a computer that will be able to run the entire game at ultra settings, I can't tell you the difference it makes. If I was at my pc atm I'd show you a side by side picture of low vs ultra, so if you're really interested in a comparison let me know.

For the op, memory aka RAM had nothing to do with the graphic settings. As long as you have 8gb of ram you don't need more, especially not for sims. The visuals are 100% relying on your graphics card, so the better it is, the better frames you get basically :) Hope that clarifies it a bit!

Ooooh so TS4 doesn't run with DX11? Didn't know this!
  • Options
    chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    Amiutza wrote: »

Ooooh so TS4 doesn't run with DX11? Didn't know this!

TS4 is old school LOL. directX 9 only
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    DukeCybranDukeCybran Posts: 75 Member
    To me, my game FPS is normal, but it's always laggy, say, 3x speed often causes lags in response :[
    C4jGfkwVUAQbeSb.jpg:large
    My game ID: DukeCybran_TW;
    Language: English, Simplified/Traditional Chinese. Happy simming!
  • Options
    ShinobuTypeErrorShinobuTypeError Posts: 2,838 Member
    I have a mid-range desktop that was probably considered high end like 5-6 years ago, lol....but it runs Sims 4 pretty good with very minimal lag. I only get lag when I've had the game running too long and my RAM is reaching its limit. I have all of the settings as high as they get except reflections which I have set to medium because I don't care that much about reflections.

Specs are i7 processor 4.5ghz, Nvidia 660 GTX 2 gb graphics card, 10gb of RAM, and a 800 watt power supply. It has cooling, but I couldn't tell you what it is because my bf built the computer and I'm not sure what he put in there.

I will say that I agree with what others have posted that a $500 laptop is probably not going to meet your needs if your aim is to be able to run the game on high graphics settings with minimal lag. A lot of laptops come with a decent amount of RAM these days and some have good processor speeds, but most laptops come with integrated graphics chips which are barely adequate for most games, unless you're paying a good amount of money for a gaming laptop.

Seeing as Sims 4 is still not done releasing content and it's only going to get more demanding on systems the more expansions and other content are added to the game, I'd plan for the future and spend your money wisely on a good desktop that you can upgrade later, or a gaming laptop with specs that far exceed the minimum requirements (if you absolutely must have a laptop).
    "It's like there's a pink elephant in the room and no one's allowed to talk about it."
  • Options
    aaronjc123aaronjc123 Posts: 1,117 Member
    There's a tiny bit of lag in San Myshuno but no lag in the other worlds.
  • Options
    Sid1701D9Sid1701D9 Posts: 4,718 Member
    Well, the lag problem isn't always the graphics card either, some of the higher up Nvidia cards and AMD cards can bottleneck the processor, which means the card slows down because the processor can't keep up. Even though it says its compatible, stay away from any processor clock speed under 2.0GHZ, especially laptops or notebooks. If you get a Desktop make sure it has both Dedicated and Intergraded video card, that intergraded may not be as good for games as the dedicated, but if the dedicated card fails for some reason, you can still access your computer by a intergraded video card to recover your information. Also stay away from the Dual cards either bought together or single cards rigged up in a SLI or Crossfire array, as the game don't recognize computers with two video cards, and would most likely crash,. Actually there is only a few games that can utilize the SLI or Crossfire capability..
    Sid1701d-"I love my life, live my life and live to play, laugh and have fun."

"Love will Fight, Love will Win and Love will Survive."
  • Options
    BrownGamerGurl1BrownGamerGurl1 Posts: 1,136 Member
    edited February 2017
    I have a mid-range desktop that was probably considered high end like 5-6 years ago, lol....but it runs Sims 4 pretty good with very minimal lag. I only get lag when I've had the game running too long and my RAM is reaching its limit. I have all of the settings as high as they get except reflections which I have set to medium because I don't care that much about reflections.

Specs are i7 processor 4.5ghz, Nvidia 660 GTX 2 gb graphics card, 10gb of RAM, and a 800 watt power supply. It has cooling, but I couldn't tell you what it is because my bf built the computer and I'm not sure what he put in there.

I will say that I agree with what others have posted that a $500 laptop is probably not going to meet your needs if your aim is to be able to run the game on high graphics settings with minimal lag. A lot of laptops come with a decent amount of RAM these days and some have good processor speeds, but most laptops come with integrated graphics chips which are barely adequate for most games, unless you're paying a good amount of money for a gaming laptop.

Seeing as Sims 4 is still not done releasing content and it's only going to get more demanding on systems the more expansions and other content are added to the game, I'd plan for the future and spend your money wisely on a good desktop that you can upgrade later, or a gaming laptop with specs that far exceed the minimum requirements (if you absolutely must have a laptop).

Ok. Thanks 4 the run down.My picture quality right now is actually okay for casual playing and the game doesnt lag. But thats because i play on custom settings and with the most demanding settings set to low. I wonder if playing on ultra high setting is even all that much better or rewarding. Idk. This is a pic from my game. I think its good enough. If the laptop im using now can do this. I think the newer afforable laptop will be perform considerably better.

Of course the image could be more precise .My thing is i think even a computer with slightly better specs, would help :)
    I might not get a computer right now after all if i have to spend 700-800+ dollars. I like to spend my money on my 2 year old daughter more <3

MoSo2qE.png
  • Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    edited February 2017
    I recently upgraded my desktop pc with a new graphics card (nvidia geforce gtx 1060 6gb), more memory (32gb which is the full potential my motherboard can have) and a new screen. The combination of new graphics card and alot of memory really improved the game for me. I had 8gb ram before, but not that much on the graphics card itself. Also the new screen really help with seeing the pretty graphics lol. I haven't experienced much lag since upgrading, and I even upped the screen resolution. It's really hard to go back after you've tried a higher screen resolution. ;)
    (btw I have a i7 4ghz processor)

My motherboard is not the newest, but I read up on ram, and some seemed to say that when it comes to gaming it's the amount of ram that's important, and not the speed so much. Ofcourse you should probably use the highest speed your motherboard allows though, but the point is even if you can't have the newest and best speeds, it's still worth it to get more ram for your motherboard.
    Post edited by Aine on
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    Aine wrote: »
    I recently upgraded my desktop pc with a new graphics card (nvidia geforce gtx 1060 6gb), more memory (32gb which is the full potential my motherboard can have) and a new screen. I The combination of new graphics card and alot of memory really improved the game for me. I had 8gb ram before, but not that much on the graphics card itself. Also the new screen really help with seeing the pretty graphics lol. I haven't experienced much lag since upgrading, and I even upped the screen resolution. It's really hard to go back after you've tried a higher screen resolution. ;)

I think the laptop i was considering has 4 gb processor,it for sure has 8 gb ram. Other than not costing me an arm and a leg i think its perfect for an affordable upgrade . It also has amd graphics, which is what i had before on my former beloved desktop.

After thinking everything over i cant see myself spending a lot of cash to get a slightly better game picture right now :s
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Aine wrote: »
    I recently upgraded my desktop pc with a new graphics card (nvidia geforce gtx 1060 6gb), more memory (32gb which is the full potential my motherboard can have) and a new screen. The combination of new graphics card and alot of memory really improved the game for me. I had 8gb ram before, but not that much on the graphics card itself. Also the new screen really help with seeing the pretty graphics lol. I haven't experienced much lag since upgrading, and I even upped the screen resolution. It's really hard to go back after you've tried a higher screen resolution. ;)

I think the laptop i was considering has 4 gb processor,it for sure has 8 gb ram. Other than not costing me an arm and a leg i think its perfect for an affordable upgrade . It also has amd graphics, which is what i had before on my former beloved desktop.

After thinking everything over i cant see myself spending a lot of cash to get a slightly better game picture right now :s
    Yeah it's hard, it's why I have a desktop not a laptop, because it's a more stable build and you can upgrade piece by piece. Laptops that are actually made for gaming are super expensive. It makes sense though - all the components of a laptop are smaller versions of what the desktop has. It's also a problem with cooling with all the components squished together like that, so it's very expensive to get a laptop to not overheat instantly.

Still, even with a desktop upgrading is not something you do on a whim unless you're super rich, but my old graphics card was about 6 years old, and the screen was older than that. It was time lol.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member

I find a lot of computers that meet requirements to run the game off the shelf. Have good cases but the PSU is so low. I already told op to make sure if they go for desktop they have at least a 500 watt PSU
    I saw. I only suggest they stop by tech before they purchase.

This would be a good deal It has a 600 watt psu https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883230168&cm_re=cyberpower_computer-_-83-230-168-_-Product

Remember it's not just about the wattage.. some off the self do come with seriously cheap power suppliers. not all do but allot of them do.

true. However this person has a lower budget. Does not really want to spend a lot of money per their posts. With a low budget of $700 I did tell op the computer would be lacking some kind of better hardware. I find several desktops that meets game requirements with a low PSU. Nothing you can do about this with a low budget
  • Options
    azxcvbnm321azxcvbnm321 Posts: 532 Member
    Do you know there is a "sweet spot" for buying gaming computers? That's because, no matter what, you have to pay for the "barebones" system, the motherboard, the wiring, the cooler, the case, etc. Even if you have the very worst CPU that doesn't run anything, you still have to sink money into the "bones" of the system and that is wasted.

The difference between a budget desktop and a decent (ok, very good for this forum lol) gaming desktop is only around $150-$200! Yes that's the difference between a budget desktop with a GTX 1050ti which, for most gamers, would be barely adequate and in need of upgrading the day you received it...vs...a GTX 1070 which is a top end card and can play any game at 1080p at ultra settings. Heck, even an upgrade to a Radeon HD 480 8GB would be a big step, and cost only $70 more.

Please ask Chesterbigbird or someone at the tech section to find you a "sweet spot" desktop instead of having a budget. If you can't afford the new computer, just save up $200 or so more and then ASK FOR A NEW BUILD (tech gets old fast). This is much much better than spending $799 on a computer when just a little more could get you so so so much benefit. It will also save you money in the long run because the new "sweet spot" computer will last a lot longer before needing to be upgraded.

I'll use an analogy. Would you rather pay $20000 for a brand new car or $16000 for the same model car with 80000 miles on it? This is the equivalent. But I only have $16000 you say. Then save up, because it makes no sense whatsoever to get that used car when for just a little more you can have a brand new one that will last a lot longer.
  • Options

The difference between a budget desktop and a decent (ok, very good for this forum lol) gaming desktop is only around $150-$200! Yes that's the difference between a budget desktop with a GTX 1050ti which, for most gamers, would be barely adequate and in need of upgrading the day you received it...vs...a GTX 1070 which is a top end card and can play any game at 1080p at ultra settings. Heck, even an upgrade to a Radeon HD 480 8GB would be a big step, and cost only $70 more.

Everything you said its true but I had to laugh at most gamers will have to upgrade the 1050 ti the day they get it :p the 1050 ti is a decent card especially for playing the sims games Its slightly better than my card http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-1050-Ti-vs-EVGA-GeForce-GTX-960-SuperSC-ACX-2.0-4-GB

• Options
    Sid1701D9Sid1701D9 Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited February 2017
    I would stay away from the budget desktops because they sell you cheap boards, with the highest rama nd video cards, but the mother board is the main heart of the computer so I would focus on the best motherboards and inexpensive expansion stuff that can be changed out at a later date. Get the Asus motherboards these are designed for gaming and video processing the good ones have titiam transitors, they should last as long as the current technology or longer. I haven't had one of them blow in years and I built 3 computers, these things control the power to select systems of the motherboard and are designed to blow to protect the critical components in case of a power surge.

Edit: also a side note best time to buy computers is after valentines day, wait until middle of march and you can get a 2,000 dollar computer for 800 dollars. reason for this is no mark up for valentines day, Christmas, New Years Thanks Giving, and most companies the new lines come outer Late Summer Spring so you can take them camping, that is how I got my Laptop which had a original retail cost of 2, 300. USD and I got it for 800.00 USD
    Sid1701d-"I love my life, live my life and live to play, laugh and have fun."

"Love will Fight, Love will Win and Love will Survive."
  • Options

Everything you said its true but I had to laugh at most gamers will have to upgrade the 1050 ti the day they get it :p the 1050 ti is a decent card especially for playing the sims games Its slightly better than my card http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-1050-Ti-vs-EVGA-GeForce-GTX-960-SuperSC-ACX-2.0-4-GB

Yeah i was told this is a good card lol
  • Options

Yeah i was told this is a good card lol

the new 1050 ti is a good card for the sims games. You also need a good i5 desktop processor, a good power supply. Good case with good cooling etc. All the computer hardware has to work together. The lower your budget the harder it is going to be to have a computer with good hardware. The game requires a mid range gaming desktop or higher end gaming laptop to survive the game as it adds more and more. Each time you add to this game ( even just a patch ) will be more demanding on your computer. If your computer is under the recommended requirements, your computer may not survive the game. This game is no where near complete. This game was not meant to be played on low end computers as some may think. This is why some people in this thread have been advising you to save for a good computer. If you buy something that will not last the game you will then be stuck with a computer that can no longer run the game and a game you can't play

This is the desktop requirements and it is a mid range gaming desktop to survive the game

RECOMMENDED SPECS:
    PROCESSOR: Intel core i5 or faster, AMD Athlon X4
    VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GTX 650 or better
    MEMORY: 4 GB RAM
    HARD DRIVE: 15 GB of Hard Drive space
  • Options
    simlish1simlish1 Posts: 2,738 Member
    I have a gaming pc and it runs on ultra with no lag.
    Origin ID - eliselove1
    Four Seasons Properties

• Options
    Sid1701D9 wrote: »
    I would stay away from the budget desktops because they sell you cheap boards, with the highest rama nd video cards, but the mother board is the main heart of the computer so I would focus on the best motherboards and inexpensive expansion stuff that can be changed out at a later date. Get the Asus motherboards these are designed for gaming and video processing the good ones have titiam transitors, they should last as long as the current technology or longer. I haven't had one of them blow in years and I built 3 computers, these things control the power to select systems of the motherboard and are designed to blow to protect the critical components in case of a power surge.
    Agreed, motherboards are relatively cheap compared to other components aswell, so it's best to get the newest you can find.
    Allons-y!

• Options
    SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    Simanite wrote: »
    @BrownGamerGurl1 Desktop. 32GB memory and i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz. GeForce GTX 980 graphics.

Wow thats a lot of Ram . No wonder.

No one needs 32 gb of ram. This desktop with the 17 , 32 gb ram and a 980 card is over kill for the sims . No one needs more than 8 to 16 gb of computer ram depending on the games they are playing. There are some heavier games on the market that will require more than 8gb ram. If your only playing the sims you don;t need more than 8 gb

Gurl who says I don't need 32 GBs?

0rhoL-.gif
  • Options
    bythedreadwolfbythedreadwolf Posts: 832 Member
    This is the desktop requirements and it is a mid range gaming desktop to survive the game

RECOMMENDED SPECS:
    PROCESSOR: Intel core i5 or faster, AMD Athlon X4
    VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GTX 650 or better
    MEMORY: 4 GB RAM
    HARD DRIVE: 15 GB of Hard Drive space

This is basically my PC.

Windows 7, 64-bit
    Intel Core i5 3570 @ 3.40GHz
    6 GB RAM
    GeForce GTX 650

I can play The Witcher 3 in medium/high settings just fine (sure, there's a fps drop, but it doesn't bother me that much) and yet, it can't play TS4 on ultra anymore. I don't understand how a game like TS4 requires so much from PCs. I could play it on ultra at launch with zero lag, but now it's starting to lag like crazy and I only have two packs installed so far. And it's the type of lag that annoys me the most, which is when the game doesn't respond for a few seconds, specially when I zoom out/in or move the camera around. But then people say they have great PCs and they still experience lag, so I never know if the problem is from my PC or from the game, which is so frustrating. But if I could play the game fine at launch but not anymore, then I'm guessing it will only get worse as more patches and packs get released, to the point where the supposedly "recommended specs" (which should mean you can play the game just fine with at least medium settings, sometimes more) won't be true at all.

• Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    edited February 2017
    I have a high end desktop that's ran Sims 4 on ultra since release day. I've never encountered any lag in the actual game, but I do sometimes see lag while using the gallery. My fan never kicks it into overdrive while playing the game (or any other games i play), but clicking the 'community' tab turns it on full force and usually results in a ton of red X's in place of the pictures. 100% issue with Sims 4 though (more specifically, its reliance on Origin), I have never experienced that with any other internet content sharing feature (such as the steam workshop).

I can run it on medium settings on my '15 MBP, and it runs - however there is a noticeable increase in lag, and decrease in performance (this system has EA culling enabled). Granted it's playing on a laptop, it still functions relatively well considering it being on medium settings (turning them down would probably improve performance, but would turn me off playing... Sims 4 on low looks terrible, even worse on laptop mode).
  • Options
    littlearchitectlittlearchitect Posts: 277 Member
    edited February 2017
    One of the frustrations that I had had when buying a new laptop. I really wanted to play TS4 on ultra settings. And I'm not even a hardcore gamer. I was choosing what to buy so hard that a salesman finally asked me what game I would like to play on the laptop. They laughed when I said the sims. My laptop specs are as follows.

PROCESSOR: i7 6500U CPU @ 2.6 Ghz
    VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GTX 950
    MEMORY: 8 GB RAM

According to what I tested, on ultra settings, I can run the game without lag and with speed x3. Not in San Myshuno! I have lags with speed x3.
    Even the graphic is on medium settings or lower, San Myshuno festivals lag much more than home lot.
    I found out that for my laptop, edge smoothing is the only factor that is affecting game performance. I can play the game really well with other settings on max with edge smoothing low.

So can any IT person or computer person enlighten me whether it's the game itself or my laptop that needs a fix?
    Is it because of my processor speed not being fast enough?

Post edited by littlearchitect on
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon__gif___fan_art__by_hazzaplumbob-dayfe38.gif