Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Let's Give a Big Hand to the Developers

Comments

• Options
    OilbasedoleanderOilbasedoleander Posts: 2,967 Member
    I just wanna add a slightly-less-glowing but still positive note:

I don't mean to be a downer, but the 2 year wait with absolute silence was still a bit much. I mean Dine Out for example had that baby bottle, and the devs claimed they added it "just because" and (intended or no) gave off an impression not to read too much into it. Why? If they can't outright say it, ok, but they not only didn't say a word, but seemed to be against the idea we'd get them. I think I even remember a statement that there were "no current plans to add toddlers" not too long ago. (6 months?)

I do still believe the communication - or lack thereof - could've absolutely been better and got downright unacceptable there, regardless of company policy about silence on updates; exceptions should exist in such extreme cases. If an opportunity arose for history to repeat itself, I would complain exactly as I had all over again. This is a feature people wanted at launch, and while two years and three months can be understandable from a development standpoint, two years and three months of pure silence while expecting people to just "have faith" cannot. I do think that is still something to improve on and that the people involved with the complaints and criticisms should not be shamed for having them. There's an "EA silence on family play" thread that made it to 1000 pages before we got Toddlers, and that to me is a perfect testament to why it was such a problem.

Having said all of that, I do view Toddlers (and the apparent quality of vampires) as symbolic. Hopefully, this can be the turning point for Sims 4 and hopefully this will mark an improvement in update/pack quality. I mention the above not to repeatedly shame EA or out of some petty desire to continue on with criticism, but because I just don't want us moving forward having learned the "wrong" lesson, thinking that 2 years and 3 months of silence is in any way acceptable. I don't want people to be soooooooo happy they forget the rather justifiable reasons for the outrage to begin with.

But this is all of course a lesson in learning from history. For the moment itself though...? Things look good. The Sims team has seen a change in management, to my understanding, and the release of toddlers was the #1 demand since release while I can personally attest the vampire powers system is plum similar to a suggestion I made. As I said, this is good. This is a good way to restore faith.

For the moment things look great and I hope the Sims team keeps up the good work. Let's move forward, let's improve the game, and let's learn from past mistakes.

There definitely shouldn't be any "I told you so's" nor should anyone apologize for demanding it and being upset for not having it at launch. If it was not for those who "complained" this most likely would not have happened.

But yes, I definitely agree with you on the silence. The lack of communication for this subject was pretty horrific. And it probably hurt their sales in the long run. Even fun little hints in the game would have been better then "anything is possible" because... no, anything is NOT possible especially with this base game and coding.

BUT! I enjoy the fact that they came in a patch... not pay-for DLC. I could only imagine the mixed emotions of players. "I'm so happy!! Finally!" to "Wait... you left them out of the base game and now I have to pay for them?!"

It's sad for me to think that's something they would have done... but this patch sheds a little more light and makes me feel like they are on their way to fixing this game to where it should have been at launch. Including ghosts and pools and such.

It's definitely positive!
  • Options
    candy8candy8 Posts: 3,815 Member
    I am very happy just hope I can play my game. The toddlers are so cute. Now for pets.
  • Options
    Teslachick2Teslachick2 Posts: 442 Member
    Thank you to all the sim gurus!!
    I regret some of my life choices.
  • Options
    LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    I'm someone who has been highly critical of the developers by calling them lazy, selfish, etc... and I now apologize for saying all those things. As it turns out, they were indeed working on a feature that I've often criticized The Sims 4 for lacking this whole time (toddlers). I was wrong and they actually deserve a lot of respect for listening to the fans. It was unfair to call them lazy and claim that they don't care about the game or their fans at all. I just didn't expect toddlers to actually arrive in the game so soon... mainly because I'm also shocked that nobody was able to leak anything about their development. I'm really surprised that the developers were actually able to keep toddlers so secretive without at least someone being able to leak information about them. This was very fantastic news to wake up with! :smiley: Now I'm excited to see what else The Sims 4 will come out with. After toddlers have finally been released, who knows what else? :smile:
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • Options
    NiniNini Posts: 309 Member
    THANK YOU!!!!!! <3
  • Options
    HannieHannie Posts: 608 Member
    Thank you so much! <3
  • Options
    StarfreeStarfree Posts: 1,454 Member
    Thank you Devs for all your hard work. You do an awesome job! And a huuuuuuuuggggggeeeeee cyber hug to you all and the gurus for putting up with some occasionally crabby simmers :smiley:
  • Options
    puderosasimspuderosasims Posts: 522 Member
    b0Wz1.gif
    (I've already used this gif but it fits so well.)
    Origin ID: puderosasims | Simblr
    English isn't my first language, so please excuse any mistakes.
    tumblr_n8pqhqmpdh1th4xn0o1_400.gif
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,970 Member
    I just wanna add a slightly-less-glowing but still positive note:

I don't mean to be a downer, but the 2 year wait with absolute silence was still a bit much. I mean Dine Out for example had that baby bottle, and the devs claimed they added it "just because" and (intended or no) gave off an impression not to read too much into it. Why? If they can't outright say it, ok, but they not only didn't say a word, but seemed to be against the idea we'd get them. I think I even remember a statement that there were "no current plans to add toddlers" not too long ago. (6 months?)

I do still believe the communication - or lack thereof - could've absolutely been better and got downright unacceptable there, regardless of company policy about silence on updates; exceptions should exist in such extreme cases. If an opportunity arose for history to repeat itself, I would complain exactly as I had all over again. This is a feature people wanted at launch, and while two years and three months can be understandable from a development standpoint, two years and three months of pure silence while expecting people to just "have faith" cannot. I do think that is still something to improve on and that the people involved with the complaints and criticisms should not be shamed for having them. There's an "EA silence on family play" thread that made it to 1000 pages before we got Toddlers, and that to me is a perfect testament to why it was such a problem.

Having said all of that, I do view Toddlers (and the apparent quality of vampires) as symbolic. Hopefully, this can be the turning point for Sims 4 and hopefully this will mark an improvement in update/pack quality. I mention the above not to repeatedly shame EA or out of some petty desire to continue on with criticism, but because I just don't want us moving forward having learned the "wrong" lesson, thinking that 2 years and 3 months of silence is in any way acceptable. I don't want people to be soooooooo happy they forget the rather justifiable reasons for the outrage to begin with.

But this is all of course a lesson in learning from history. For the moment itself though...? Things look good. The Sims team has seen a change in management, to my understanding, and the release of toddlers was the #1 demand since release while I can personally attest the vampire powers system is plum similar to a suggestion I made. As I said, this is good. This is a good way to restore faith.

For the moment things look great and I hope the Sims team keeps up the good work. Let's move forward, let's improve the game, and let's learn from past mistakes.

There definitely shouldn't be any "I told you so's" nor should anyone apologize for demanding it and being upset for not having it at launch. If it was not for those who "complained" this most likely would not have happened.

But yes, I definitely agree with you on the silence. The lack of communication for this subject was pretty horrific. And it probably hurt their sales in the long run. Even fun little hints in the game would have been better then "anything is possible" because... no, anything is NOT possible especially with this base game and coding.

BUT! I enjoy the fact that they came in a patch... not pay-for DLC. I could only imagine the mixed emotions of players. "I'm so happy!! Finally!" to "Wait... you left them out of the base game and now I have to pay for them?!"

It's sad for me to think that's something they would have done... but this patch sheds a little more light and makes me feel like they are on their way to fixing this game to where it should have been at launch. Including ghosts and pools and such.

It's definitely positive!
    I believe that is the best way they could come, FREE for if they came as paid DLC there would have been some angry customers. I am glad they are here for those who wished to have them and as an option as well. I play with toddlers on and off but never with babies. I feel everybody's joy.

Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    StarfreeStarfree Posts: 1,454 Member
    Oops. Don't know how the word "plum" got in there. I didn't type it. :(
  • Options
    RiaRia Posts: 1 New Member
    Still can't believe, I cried tears of happiness when I saw the news. Thank you, guys. That's a wondeful gift you've made today. You're the best!
  • Options
    brittpinkiebrittpinkie Posts: 52 Member
    Thank you so much, Devs! We are all so happy! <3
  • Options
    Aeroprincess87Aeroprincess87 Posts: 6,419 Member
    A standing ovation to the team, because not only did they finally add them into the game. They added them in a way that looks better than the Sims 2 and the Sims 3 toddlers combined. I mean, all the little touches and interactions. I think I might die of happiness right now.
  • Options
    ConclueConclue Posts: 2,307 Member
    edited January 2017
    Just finished watching the stream. They knocked it out of the park. The bed vs crib thing is a bit different, but it works, and I'm content with it personally - because there are so many improvements on what they seemingly can do! That's awesome. very happy Simmer today. I can't wait to join the Sims 4 era. There's part of me wanting to go to store and get game, and another part of me that is like "you will get nothing else dont and now isn't the time" LOL

They did an awesome job on them from what I just saw. What was best, was the classic Sims 2 glitch of Sims getting single serve plates stuck on their hands. It was literally like watching a moment from Sims 2 - and without toddlers, I dont know, the Sims doesn't seem like "The Sims". I'm very proud of what they've created. They're like mini kids! It's nice to see they could improve them from previous versions when everyone was like "just bring toddlers' lol

Kudo's & Bravo!
  • Options
    VkittyVkitty Posts: 40 Member
    Thank you Devs! Huge hugs to you all <3
  • Options
    blueturtleotterblueturtleotter Posts: 867 Member
    Thank you.
  • Options
    MendotaMendota Posts: 794 Member
    Thank you. I already enjoy the game, but this is great news for many. I have always stood up for the developers, being a coder myself I know how difficult it is. Happiness for all.
  • Options
    bevillebeville Posts: 1,151 Member
    I want to show some love too! Thank you super awesome guys, for this beautiful surprise today! <3
  • Options
    Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    Let nobody say that the Devs aren't suitably dramatic- which I can always appreciate! Thank-you Maxis!

Now, if this massive update would just finish downloading over my antiqued DLS hookup at work!
  • Options
    GonedalfGonedalf Posts: 62 Member
    Thank you so so so much! I AM SO EXCITED FOR TODDLERS AND VAMPIRES. This is turning into the best month for Sims ever.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    cartoon-man-with-a-big-hand-gesture-vector-id467030915?s=170667a

What?

You said a big hand...

Okay but really, sincerest thank you's to the developers who listened and took the time to make TS4 feel like a whole family playstyle again. But there's a long road and lots of work ahead to make each age feel unique and fun to play because this generation of sims needs to be what they intended from the start, all about the sims themselves, and that includes each life state. Let's hope this is a decent structure for family play. :)

Cheers to all who's been hoping and wishing for this.

Maybe they had to get all the age stages in first before they could work on perfecting them. Hoping that teens get some love next. <3
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    Well done devs <3 Thank you for not letting people's perception of people who wanted toddlers as *haters* get to you and understanding how important it was to so many players <3
  • Options
    DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    Big applause!! I couldn't thank the developers enough.

And well said, OP. :)
  • Options
    AceofSpades2231AceofSpades2231 Posts: 594 Member
    I haven't been in game yet but from the patch notes and videos, it looks like this is how toddlers should have been done! I Knew they would come but I was afraid that they would mess up. But they look great! Thank you I was pleasantly surprised today!
    eqnxTFN.jpg
    I love video games because of the things that I could never do in real life... For instance, in the sims you can get a job and a house.
    Origin ID: Mainmanvs100
  • Options
    Clk1143Clk1143 Posts: 1,014 Member
    Thank you developers both toddlers and vampires I'm pretty excited for. :)

As for the silent comment, that is not the developers fault. They have a contract saying they can not say anything about future content, this included things like toddlers. If a developer broke that contract they could get fired or even sued. It is the heads of EA who made those contracts...not the developers. It's also very normal in the technology field to have such contracts.