Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The reason why The Sims 4 isn't as good.

Comments

• Options
    Fairy_HappyFairy_Happy Posts: 8,911 Member
    edited July 2016
    this iteration makes people selfish

"because i didn't ever like feature x, so i am happy it got removed FOR EVERY OTHER SIMMER TOO, even if i could turn it off, BUT I AM HAPPY THAT NOBODY GETS IT NOW, i am happy that others are unhappy, that others are not able to play THEIR WAY, i don't care who else plays my way, the most important thing is THAT I GET WHAT I WANT & THAT I AM NOT BOTHERED WITH FEATURES I DON'T LIKE"

great community :confused:

That's basically sums up the internet. Someone doesn't like something so everyone else has to dislike it too. Or someone disagrees and everyone else must disagree too. Or someone has a certain taste so everyone must have that taste too.

With Sims. People like Sims 4 so everyone else has to like it too or they are demanding and whiny. Or people dislike Sims 4 and anyone who likes it either works for EA or sucks up to them.

I, for one, wouldn't want to live in a world where everyone like the same things, or thought the same things, or agreed or disagreed with the same things or had the same taste. That would a boring world to live in. People need to learn to agree to disagree without all the drama.

Also, that iteration made me laugh, when it shouldn't have.

• Options
    Fairy_HappyFairy_Happy Posts: 8,911 Member
    edited July 2016
    Risakisho wrote: »
    People complained about lag in s3, so they found a solution and made it more suitable for lower end PCs to play too and cut off open world as that was a big contributor to lag.

From what I'm reading, people are not really digging the closed worlds. And of course it would play on lower end PC. I"m sure it would even play on a Commodore 64 since Sims 4 isn't even a game, it's a shell of a potential game!
  • Options
    RisakishoRisakisho Posts: 52 Member
    @friendlyone20 Yes not a lot of people like the closed in world, as I myself but I adjusted. I've seen people on the forum who actually like the more closed in world rather than the open world. It really just is preference in the end. I personally think Sims 4 could have been better, but it's not a bad game. I enjoy it as much as I did with sims 3. Sims 4 just have terrible EP releasing as it has been two years and only two EPs came out. Get to Together,I didn't want to waste my money on the second EP as the content in my opinion was eh. Sims 3 did definitely had better expansion packs in the two years since it was released. But even with sims 4 with just two EPs and 3 game packs I enjoy it even with the closed world (Though I would really had loved a semi open world...not just an open public space).
    b8EQfn6.gif
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    Evil_One wrote: »
    I shudder to think what horrible supernatural travesty we're going to end up with this time.

Vampires that sparkle ALL THE TIME?

Werewolves that are just ordinary people wearing a silly costume?

Witches that look and behave like something from a kids cartoon?

AFAIK, the vampires in TS3 were never intended to sparkle like that. I recall @SimGuruGrant explicitly state they were avoiding modeling vampires after the book Twilight -- including their sparkling.

Supernaturals added the sparkles, and I believe that was made by the other development studio (there were 2 for the majority of TS3's lifespan). I think this is just one, tiny example of the long list of negatives having 2 separate studios work on TS3 came with.

But it's only immortals who sparkle in sunlight, regular vamps don't.
    My vamps carried parasols, and so didn't sparkle. Unless they took the parasol down. It's rather comical to have a biker looking vamp, with a floral parasol on a sunny day.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    Stdlr9 wrote: »
    Seasons will happen, pets will happen. It's safe to say that.

Really? By "safe to say," you mean you have official proof? Would love to see it. The way TS4 made babies as creepy plastic-looking crying furniture, and apparently cannot make toddlers at all, it's going to be fascinating to see how dynamic pets are. I expect them -- if they come at all -- to be not much more than stuffed toys. Or wait, maybe the game will cull out all children to make room for pets.

I'm not assuming anything this time around. Just because we had something before it doesn't mean we'll see it again in this version.

Me too. Especially since they have this little policy now of "no announcing unless it's released within the financial quarter." After years of knowing the general idea of what was on the horizon, this policy doesn't make me confident at all in Sims 4. We won't even know whether or not we'll get an EP this year until October.
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member

Really? By "safe to say," you mean you have official proof? Would love to see it. The way TS4 made babies as creepy plastic-looking crying furniture, and apparently cannot make toddlers at all, it's going to be fascinating to see how dynamic pets are. I expect them -- if they come at all -- to be not much more than stuffed toys. Or wait, maybe the game will cull out all children to make room for pets.

I'm not assuming anything this time around. Just because we had something before it doesn't mean we'll see it again in this version.

Me too. Especially since they have this little policy now of "no announcing unless it's released within the financial quarter." After years of knowing the general idea of what was on the horizon, this policy doesn't make me confident at all in Sims 4. We won't even know whether or not we'll get an EP this year until October.

Or if we'll even end up getting an EP at all.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    coldplay2233coldplay2233 Posts: 451 Member
    It's pretty wrong if you ask me, to keep players in such suspense. As someone whos playing The Sims 4 today, I would appreciate it if they told us what the next expansion is, not have us waiting until October and wondering if we'll even get anything at all. I could mention some other game developers but I won't. But I will say, in comparison to those developers, this is pretty bad and I think it's not considerate to the consumer at all. There are many good reasons to be more transparent with your consumers. One of which is trust & communication. I know we have simgurudrake but I think she's been anything but transparent about the developers goals and the future of the sims. If anything drake is just a token appearance on these boards to give some kind of illusion that they care so that we keep buying stuff packs! Well I'm proud to say I haven't purchased any of them.
  • Options
    Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member

Or if we'll even end up getting an EP at all.

Oh yeah. I have some MAJOR concerns about that too. I'm trying to be patient and understanding, to not "cast aspersions" (as we've been lectured about before), but my trust in this company is at an all time low. I would like to hope that there will be an EP announcement this October, but I'm worried there will be no EP. The "no announce outside of financial quarter" policy hasn't helped me to regain trust, it's instead continued to negatively impact my relationship with them. The stuff packs are cute and all, but they don't make a well-rounded gaming experience for me. I don't wish to be unkind, but honestly, the consequences of "Nope, not going to E3, not going to EA Play, no presentation at Gamescom" doesn't inspire hope and feelings of stability in the franchise. Unfortunately, it does the exact opposite. I feel very uncomfortable and unsure about this company, and the wall of silence doesn't help.
  • Options
    HermaiHermai Posts: 366 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    The difference is, that what you're describing there was the game in its first six months. Then we got WA, with a load of open venues we could explore for hours and hours. Which means open world and rabbitholes don't make an open venue experience impossible, later other expansions and Store sets have confirmed that. And like I said, this was handed to us when the game was six months old, Sims 4 is much older than that and many things that are severely missed by people still aren't there.

My lots in 3 are about as crowded as my lots in Sims 4 now by the way (yes, I'm quite tireless where it comes to underlining that every time people bring that up as an excuse for loading screen galore, fake backdrops and uncontrollable sims). Not when I played the game in 2010 but they are now, nowadays computers apparently can handle The Sims and an open world much better. A difference is that in 4 sims will seek each others company more, which in nightclubs is great, but on other venues I don't like it. When my couple is romancing together with a cup of coffee in a cafe, I really don't want four NPC's in a row to join them.

I doubt by the way if Sims 3 really demands that much more from your pc than Sims 4 does, I for one couldn't play 4 on my previous computer. I had to buy a new one (and it handled Sims 3 on highest settings). I was playing Sims 2 a couple of days ago by the way, and when I sent my sim to a venue, there was nobody there. Sims started coming in as soon as I had arrived (I remember this being a disturbing ingredient for people of open world as well, even when open world means every sim spawning there that was closer to the venue than your sim will arrive sooner). In the end, and I waited for a rather long time, there were four visitors (and my sim). I sometimes wonder, now that I play three games simultaneously, whether people aren't judging the games through pink or muddy glasses.
    I think the hardware of the pc makes quite a difference in a game's performance. Not just the case of being high-end or not, but depending on the brand too. Slight differences in hardware can differenciate game performance quite a bit, I think.

My TS3 town are still a little ghost towns... specially the bars, for some reason. And I think TS3 dislikes the Nvidias GTX 970 for some reason. Still, it runs well an the open world is still very pleasurable to play in.

And as for TS2, back in the days my toaster ran super fine TS2, the community lots were crowded (but yea, you had to wait a little). But playing in my new shiny NASA computer, I only had ghost towns. I changed the settings to allow for max in everything, but still ghost towns. Since the game did not recognize my video card, it was fixed on only allowing 2 sims per party/community lot. I had to change that using a preloaded cheat code and then I was good to go. No more ghost towns. I mean, they are for 30 seconds into the lot, but then everyone arrives. Not much we can do about that though :/
  • Options
    MarmarSimsMarmarSims Posts: 183 Member
    Since I'm on laptop and I'm such a impatient woman, I would go with TS3. All your waiting are gone because of the open world.

Also, when I heard the Sims 4 coming out. I was so excited, I asked for it from my relatives who lived in the States. But they told me I have to study real hard to achieve the $60 priced game.

So I already got the game 4 months after the release, when I first installed the game I was so excited! But I needed to download Origin another 5 hours... Great.

The Sims download was just 1 minute, so I was ready to play.

But what I expected...

*cries*

They removed everything I love from the Sims 3 game, I expected better than that. They look goofy cartoon characters.

But. I think we should give TS4 a chance to change, right?
    30uejra.jpg
    Origin: maritakoyaki
  • Options
    MarmarSimsMarmarSims Posts: 183 Member
    Since everyone here is talking about CASts, what's that?

I know the CAS but what is CASts???
    30uejra.jpg
    Origin: maritakoyaki
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,629 Member
    edited July 2016
    MarmarSims wrote: »
    Since everyone here is talking about CASts, what's that?

I know the CAS but what is CASts???

CASt ("Create a Style") is the system in Sims 3 where you can use any colours and any pattern for any object.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    Milav10Milav10 Posts: 1 New Member
    sims 4 is just to difficult totallyy not my type sims 2 was the best.
  • Options
    TayTayGeeTayTayGee Posts: 313 Member
    I want toddler back...
  • Options
    alexandreaalexandrea Posts: 2,432 Member
    1. No challenge
    2. No reactions from the sims
    3. No toddlers
    4. No familiar aspects to the game at all. The sims all feel like friends in their households rather than actual families.
    5. The sims are wayyyy too goofy and never serious.
    6. Every pack they release is poorly done.
    7. The game lacks depth whatsoever.
    8. Loading screens. (I love TS2 and I can look past the loading screens in that game because the game was actually good)
    9. The game is too goal-oriented.
    10. My sims simply don't listen to me
    11. My sims feel like robots just trying to grab random tasks, they don't focus on one thing
    12. The game tries too hard to follow the latest trends
    13. Tiny worlds
    14. It's simply not a sims game
    p6tqefj
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    My lots in 3 are about as crowded as my lots in Sims 4 now by the way (yes, I'm quite tireless where it comes to underlining that every time people bring that up as an excuse for loading screen galore, fake backdrops and uncontrollable sims). Not when I played the game in 2010 but they are now, nowadays computers apparently can handle The Sims and an open world much better. A difference is that in 4 sims will seek each others company more, which in nightclubs is great, but on other venues I don't like it. When my couple is romancing together with a cup of coffee in a cafe, I really don't want four NPC's in a row to join them.

I doubt by the way if Sims 3 really demands that much more from your pc than Sims 4 does, I for one couldn't play 4 on my previous computer. I had to buy a new one (and it handled Sims 3 on highest settings). I was playing Sims 2 a couple of days ago by the way, and when I sent my sim to a venue, there was nobody there. Sims started coming in as soon as I had arrived (I remember this being a disturbing ingredient for people of open world as well, even when open world means every sim spawning there that was closer to the venue than your sim will arrive sooner). In the end, and I waited for a rather long time, there were four visitors (and my sim). I sometimes wonder, now that I play three games simultaneously, whether people aren't judging the games through pink or muddy glasses.

Again to mention again, sims 4 was rushed prior to release because of the sudden scrap of Sims 4 Olympus. So it explains the empty game play simmers experienced. Should it really be an excuse? I don't think so, but taking that into account it isn't really fair either. I don't know, Sims 4 seems to have run smoother on my old computer than sims 3 ever had.

What makes it 'unfair' to acknowledge the likely reason for such an empty game? What about considering what was unfair for the game, what was unfair for those who weren't in charge of releasing an unfinished product and in terms of the customer?

Where was the pricing mitigation to make up for such a bare base? Oh yeah, nowhere. We paid a premium for a game they rushed out when it wasn't ready and this game has suffered from that ever since. It certainly speaks volumes about how EA saw simmers and what they could get away with in releasing in that state.
    Instead of delaying to make sure they made sure Olympus didn't adversely affect their sims customers they released anyway. Then we've had this ridiculous waiting for a finished base when they should have been getting on with the new paid expansions. Instead they've had to chase their tails trying to implement new stuff as well as create the stuff to patch in what they hadn't finished yet. Perhaps that is why when the new content is released some people keep saying it is light on content.

It's not fair on them that the reputation of this game was damaged so hugely by the way this game has been handled when for most of the team it came from a decision above them, it's not fair that they are chasing after trying to make something solid of the base after its been released so its harder to work with.

It's not fair on this version that it wasn't finished before release. Whether you like the game or not it has had whole periods of 'potential' game play that was due to be there not actually present in game to be enjoyed. Not for a few days, or weeks. But for years.

It's certainly not fair at all to those of us who paid full price because we believed in EA, Maxis and the team to make up for the Olympus mess that we are this far in and still missing vast chunks of gameplay which shouldve been there from day one. The customers had zero responsibility for their desire to chase after a social online only game version of The Sims.

Besides TS4 has more than its fair share of issues with running on people's computers too. Just because TS3 was poorly optimised in your opinion doesn't make it okay for the next game to be the same way. They should all be robust.

There was a time where I believed in everything EA and Maxis did. They've ruined that by this experience.
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    My biggest issue with Sims 4 (besides relationship decay which can be fixed with mods, and toddlers who can't), is the terrible AI reactions. They don't seem to react as well as the sims in all of the past sims games...
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    NotLoudonWainwrightNotLoudonWainwright Posts: 863 Member
    There are no reasons because TS4 is easily the best game in the series and is the best game on the market today.
  • Options
    Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    Ugh, Colton give it a rest, will you?
    raw
  • Options
    MotherOfDeerMotherOfDeer Posts: 13 New Member
    well everyone has different opinions, I remember doing weird stuff in the very first sims game, like you could easily kill off your avatars
  • Options
    nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member

I think it's a robot, lol.

• Options
    simspeaker4simspeaker4 Posts: 5,999 Member

It's definitely not this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsHxyqN_gH0

But I don't think it's Colton either.

Meanwhile, TS4 is severely lacking in customization, chaos, and overdone in conformity. Just my opinion.
    I am a perfectly decrepit withered old hag who enjoys self-mockery.

Need help falling asleep? http://wry7000.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited January 2017

It's definitely not this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsHxyqN_gH0

But I don't think it's Colton either.

Meanwhile, TS4 is severely lacking in customization, chaos, and overdone in conformity. Just my opinion.

Agreed. He's a completely different entity. Colton at least got worked up and would respond. He's gone through many different versions of his name since release due to jailing and banning. This one just leaves their comment and abandons ship. More like a bot. Though, I feel there's a human behind it.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    Instead of delaying to make sure they made sure Olympus didn't adversely affect their sims customers they released anyway.
    Actually, as someone once pointed out to me regarding another game, forcing a game out when it isn't ready can be do or die. Look at what happened to EQNext.

You can't just delay and delay if the funding isn't there. It's a luxury that virtually no creative project has.

And in Sims 4's case, I don't remember when I first played it, but I'm pretty sure I tried it before they patched pools in and it was a solid game all on its own. It just was missing a lot of features that people were expecting it to have at launch. And they did patch in some of those features later, such as pools, at no extra cost to the customer. Which is not a detail to skate over. Even online games don't really get that kind of support, unless they're a specific kind of free-to-play model, in which case you don't really get the entire game unless you shell out money... usually at least twice (thinking of buy-to-play games with one box purchase, then again for each expansion).

Just something to consider. One payment into the Sims 4 for the base game. With the right sales, as low as what... $10-20? And you get the base plus the free updates they did.

Mind you, I'm not saying, "Oh man, they give SO MUCH AWAY BIG CAR SALE EVENT." But they could have gouged on stuff like pools and ghosts and they didn't. It isn't all bad.

And when it comes to releasing, sometimes it's a simple matter of, "This was the date you guys said you'd have the game ready to publish at in your contract. This is when it has to be done."
    "Could you adjust the contract?"
    "Yes, right after we finish printing money to continue funding for your project that is set to make nothing for the upcoming financial quarter."

I can be pretty hard on EA, but this is one case where I find it hard to put the onus on them. If Olympus was a failed project that got shelved (and not just a runaway rumor/legend), "make an online game" could have been a mandate from EA, but Maxis was still the ones making it. It may be there were parties in both companies whose ambitions were greater than what the team was capable of doing in the time allotted to them. It wouldn't be the first time a game nearly tanked due to the project going awry.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    papersuitcasepapersuitcase Posts: 838 Member
    edited January 2017
    alexandrea wrote: »
    1. No challenge
    2. No reactions from the sims
    3. No toddlers
    4. No familiar aspects to the game at all. The sims all feel like friends in their households rather than actual families.
    5. The sims are wayyyy too goofy and never serious.
    6. Every pack they release is poorly done.
    7. The game lacks depth whatsoever.
    8. Loading screens. (I love TS2 and I can look past the loading screens in that game because the game was actually good)
    9. The game is too goal-oriented.
    10. My sims simply don't listen to me
    11. My sims feel like robots just trying to grab random tasks, they don't focus on one thing
    12. The game tries too hard to follow the latest trends
    13. Tiny worlds
    14. It's simply not a sims game

All of this.

To expand on number 12:
    This especially bothers me. Not only is the game far too modernized with built in cell phones and the like, but it also feels like it has more of a political affiliation than it's predecessors which can cause some conflict.