Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

is nobody alarmed that vital gameplay is now sold in SPs?

Comments

• Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    mmoblitz wrote: »
    Linamints wrote: »
    I do not think the butler feature is in anyway vital game play. It is a nifty feature they are not obligated to add in for free, and it looks like a fairly high amount of coding went into it.

They added most of the other NPC's for free but they are not as complex as butlers. I'm not worried about this at all because I happen to really like stuff packs and the last few we've gotten have been really impressive.

The main reason I'm not worried about this is because I know how much works goes into these features and I don't demand free content from any game I play because having done programming on my own I can really appreciate how much effort it takes to make something that the game devs give away for free.

They are far more generous than I, as I don't think I could give away something that took that long to make.

Yes NPCs are being added in free patches but they aren't nearly as comprehensive as they were in the past. Look at the tragic clown. He was almost mystical in The Sims with interactions and abilities. There were even the clown catchers to remove them from your lot. What was added in TS4 a regular Sim in clown clothing that makes them sad. They are almost like a decor object that causes changes in emotions. You can turn any Sim into a clown by going into CAS.

That was kind of my point. The NPC's added for free so far are very simplistic, while from the brief look we've had into the butler it's going to be a much more advanced NPC that lives with you without adding to your household count. So it isn't surprising to me that they wouldn't want to patch it in for free as it likely took a lot more time to make.

The butler would have made more sense to be in CL EP that just came out. It's almost funny how this SP releases shortly after and has a butler in it. How many people do you really think would drop $10 on that SP without the butler in it? I'm willing to bet hardly any, but put that NPC in it that seems to have some decent GP to it and it will sell far more. I still think it should have been in CL, just like they were in TS3 Night Life.

Of course I really shouldn't care one way other another, since I don't play TS4, but I know a little something about how it works in the gaming industry and I know when companies are actually doing something for the fans and giving them a good deal, not just the illusion of one.

I don't see how the butler really fits into CL, other than the penthouses. And there are plenty of large houses in both Oasis Springs and Willow Creek (plus space for them in Newcrest) that a butler would be useful even if you don't own CL. And as I've said before, we're getting the butler cheaper than in previous Sims games since they're in a $10 SP rather than a $40 EP.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I do not think the butler feature is in anyway vital game play. It is a nifty feature they are not obligated to add in for free, and it looks like a fairly high amount of coding went into it.

They added most of the other NPC's for free but they are not as complex as butlers. I'm not worried about this at all because I happen to really like stuff packs and the last few we've gotten have been really impressive.

The main reason I'm not worried about this is because I know how much works goes into these features and I don't demand free content from any game I play because having done programming on my own I can really appreciate how much effort it takes to make something that the game devs give away for free.

They are far more generous than I, as I don't think I could give away something that took that long to make.

Yes NPCs are being added in free patches but they aren't nearly as comprehensive as they were in the past. Look at the tragic clown. He was almost mystical in The Sims with interactions and abilities. There were even the clown catchers to remove them from your lot. What was added in TS4 a regular Sim in clown clothing that makes them sad. They are almost like a decor object that causes changes in emotions. You can turn any Sim into a clown by going into CAS.

I do appreciate the nanny (once they fixed the eternal life bug) and the repairman; I've yet to encounter the tragic clown, thank goodness. We also got caterers and mixologists in base game - I don't remember if we ever had caterers in previous Sims games but I know we had mixologists in Late Night. I've even had a repairman die from electrocution in one game save -- I don't remember that happening in other games. The repairman is actually pretty comprehensive -- he (or she) will fix everything that needs fixing, rather than just a single item. When you live in an apartment with Gremlins randomly breaking every item in the apartment, getting the repairman to come fix the stuff while you go off to work is quite helpful.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    I don't see how the butler really fits into CL, other than the penthouses. And there are plenty of large houses in both Oasis Springs and Willow Creek (plus space for them in Newcrest) that a butler would be useful even if you don't own CL. And as I've said before, we're getting the butler cheaper than in previous Sims games since they're in a $10 SP rather than a $40 EP.

it would fit in CL the same way that it fit in Late Night - butlers are a feature of those that choose to live in penthouses and penthouses are in both. You can see it as butlers being cheaper, I see it as having to buy SPs for what I previously would have gotten in an EP. Same goes for upcoming vampire GP, unless they're bloody good I'm going to see it as just another feature that didn't make it into CL to be sold as a separate DLC and make EA more money.
  • Options
    CoreyCanadianCoreyCanadian Posts: 5,701 Member
    mirta000 wrote: »
    how come previously they could put it in expansions that we're already pay 40$ for, but now it has to come in stuff packs? Yes, they're a business. Yes, they're using the fact that they dominate the market. However, why should we just accept it as a new norm?

Well because that's just how they are functioning this generation. Also because maybe some people don't want to buy an expansion for one or two things they want, this makes it so that more content gets released. I swear it seems like no matter what EA does people will never be satisfied.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    how come previously they could put it in expansions that we're already pay 40$ for, but now it has to come in stuff packs? Yes, they're a business. Yes, they're using the fact that they dominate the market. However, why should we just accept it as a new norm?

Well because that's just how they are functioning this generation. Also because maybe some people don't want to buy an expansion for one or two things they want, this makes it so that more content gets released. I swear it seems like no matter what EA does people will never be satisfied.

EA was ranked worst company in the US for two consecutive years. Consumers have a reason to be skeptical of EA, they have proven time and time again that they will butcher a game to try and get more money out of it.

Skepticism against Maxis is equally justified. Within the past 4 years they've blatantly lied to their customer base solely to force a game online when nobody wanted it. They gutted TS4 and refused to disclose its features for the majority of its pre-release marketing run. Even now we get constant excuses why they can't give us what we're asking for, or expect, but still get other content no one really was asking for. In my opinion, Maxis can credit itself for its issues with their only PC game.
  • Options
    Aeroprincess87Aeroprincess87 Posts: 6,419 Member
    edited December 2016
    If you think the Sims 4 SPS are a rip off, then I shudder to think of what you thought of the ones from TS2 and TS3 that cost twice as much and only came with random stuff.
  • Options
    PixelsimmerPixelsimmer Posts: 2,351 Member

it would fit in CL the same way that it fit in Late Night - butlers are a feature of those that choose to live in penthouses and penthouses are in both. You can see it as butlers being cheaper, I see it as having to buy SPs for what I previously would have gotten in an EP. Same goes for upcoming vampire GP, unless they're bloody good I'm going to see it as just another feature that didn't make it into CL to be sold as a separate DLC and make EA more money.

Butlers were in Late Night because the pack also included fame and the life of the rich and famous (who ususlly lived in the houses just outside downtown Bridgeport), not because of penthouses really. It's a different concept.
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    edited December 2016

EA was ranked worst company in the US for two consecutive years. Consumers have a reason to be skeptical of EA, they have proven time and time again that they will butcher a game to try and get more money out of it.

Skepticism against Maxis is equally justified. Within the past 4 years they've blatantly lied to their customer base solely to force a game online when nobody wanted it. They gutted TS4 and refused to disclose its features for the majority of its pre-release marketing run. Even now we get constant excuses why they can't give us what we're asking for, or expect, but still get other content no one really was asking for. In my opinion, Maxis can credit itself for its issues with their only PC game.
    We shouldn't blame Maxis because Maxis is owned and completely controlled by EA. The developers therefore only have two options:
    1. To obey EA and EA's rules.
    2. To quit their jobs and apply for a job elsewhere.

The interesting things about EA being nominated as the worst company of the year several times and two times in a row ahead of Bank of America are the reasons which can be read on https://consumerist.com/2013/04/09/ea-makes-worst-company-in-america-history-wins-title-for-second-year-in-a-row/ (they aren't even mainly about the Sims games but much more general about all EA's games).

What you criticize Maxis for is true about EA's other games too even though those games aren't made by Maxis.
  • Options
    DeetoxicityDeetoxicity Posts: 20 Member
    I think the only reason i bought the VG stuff back was for butlers but I've yet to see any other stuff packs with things like that
  • Options
    mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    edited December 2016
    Butlers were in Late Night because the pack also included fame and the life of the rich and famous (who ususlly lived in the houses just outside downtown Bridgeport), not because of penthouses really. It's a different concept.

The also came in The Sims 2 Apartment Life. That had nothing to do with rich and famous and everything to do with expensive apartments.
    If you think the Sims 4 SPS are a rip off, then I shudder to think of what you thought of the ones from TS2 and TS3 that cost twice as much and only came with random stuff.

It featured no gameplay and didn't feel like it was ripped out of an expansion. The were used to just give you more STUFF on the side, if you felt like you needed it.

My all time favorite stuff packs are "the sims 2 h&m fashion stuff" for including a large selection of nice looking clothing, "the sims 2 ikea home stuff" for going perfectly with university and young adult life, "the sims 3 70s 80s & 90s stuff" for having a very visible unique theme with many many outfits (something that I expected here, unfortunately we got barely anything at all) and "the sims 4 movie hangout stuff" for while not fitting the name at all, having the craziest patterned almost hippie themed stuff and lots of it. Despite TS4 Movie Hangout coming with a popcorn machine, I completely did not need that popcorn machine from it, the wacky furniture could carry that SP alone. With this one though, there's barely anything actually Vintage themed, so its main selling point isn't gorgeous furniture or great looking clothing, it's the butler.
  • Options
    PixelsimmerPixelsimmer Posts: 2,351 Member
    edited December 2016

The also came in The Sims 2 Apartment Life. That had nothing to do with rich and famous and everything to do with expensive apartments.

So they were just thrown in because it was the last EP. But that doesn't mean butlers and apartments go necessarily together. I don't think anyone would actually associate those two. This means that, yes, butlers could have been included in CL but it would have been just as random as including them in GT or GTW. And the same could be said about any feature really: why don't they just release one single big expansion with every feature?

So, could butlers be included in CL? Yes and it woukd have been nice. Is the fact that they were not included evidence enough that they're selling CL in pieces? In my opinion, no since they belong to different themes.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Erpe wrote: »

We shouldn't blame Maxis because Maxis is owned and completely controlled by EA. The developers therefore only have two options:

The interesting things about EA being nominated as the worst company of the year several times and two times in a row ahead of Bank of America are the reasons which can be read on https://consumerist.com/2013/04/09/ea-makes-worst-company-in-america-history-wins-title-for-second-year-in-a-row/ (they aren't even mainly about the Sims games but much more general about all EA's games).

What you criticize Maxis for is true about EA's other games too even though those games aren't made by Maxis.

I didn't mix the two together. Maxis did everything I said, which is a reflection on themselves as well as Maxis
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited December 2016

Au Contrare - Butlers are technically a part of "grand", large elite households - not usually apartments - usually the overseer of the house hold male servants and in charge of the wine cellar, kitchens, ets .

As per sec:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butler

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    edited December 2016

You are a bit confused - as the worse company status had nothing to do with people who worked or were partners with EA - it was about consumers and customer service PERIOD, and according to people reporting on how they get that status was mainly due to what people on the internet thought about a company.

As far as work relations for the last several years (at least since 2012 to date 2016) EA has been voted by all it's employees (and even former employees - which says a lot) as the best company to work for. People actually love working for EA. So don't confuse those. Also EA asks the studios what they are doing and what they needs - they do not force studios to do anything. I have known several people who have worked in various places at EA and believe me they loved working for EA.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2013/04/09/ea-voted-worst-company-in-america-again/#74408a3e816d

https://www.cnet.com/news/how-electronic-arts-stopped-being-the-worst-company-in-america/

http://www2.ea.com/news/ea-named-to-best-places-to-work-2014-by-human-rights-campaign

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited December 2016
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

You are a bit confused - as the worse company status had nothing to do with people who worked or were partners with EA - it was about consumers and customer service PERIOD.

As far as work relations for the last several years EA has been voted by all it's employees as the best company to work for. People actually love working for EA and all the perks they get. So don't confuse those. Also EA asks the studios what they are doing and what they needs - they do not force studios to do anything. I have known several people who have worked in various places at EA and believe me they loved working for EA.

I can imagine that they do lol A company with such a ridiculously high revenue should have the means to offer perks to its employees. Now, if only they used some of that money to advance & deepen games instead of butcher them, they probably wouldn't have gotten their magnificent award twice in a row (although I think that was also very strongly related to their obsession with mirco-transactions and some unfortunate recordings of their ex-CEO). I do wonder though how much influence EA has over the games from the individual studios it buys. Getting perks & holidays isn't really the same as getting total creative freedom.
  • Options

You are a bit confused - as the worse company status had nothing to do with people who worked or were partners with EA - it was about consumers and customer service PERIOD, and according to people reporting on how they get that status was mainly due to what people on the internet thought about a company.

As far as work relations for the last several years (at least since 2012 to date 2016) EA has been voted by all it's employees (and even former employees - which says a lot) as the best company to work for. People actually love working for EA. So don't confuse those. Also EA asks the studios what they are doing and what they needs - they do not force studios to do anything. I have known several people who have worked in various places at EA and believe me they loved working for EA.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2013/04/09/ea-voted-worst-company-in-america-again/#74408a3e816d

https://www.cnet.com/news/how-electronic-arts-stopped-being-the-worst-company-in-america/

http://www2.ea.com/news/ea-named-to-best-places-to-work-2014-by-human-rights-campaign
    That is a truth with many modifications. From https://davidcrew.wordpress.com/2010/05/12/what-its-like-to-work-at-ea-an-employees-perspective/ :

"EA is known for killing employees to ship games – on brutal schedules.

Before I continue, I’ll admit that I am happy with my own experience at EA (see Pros). What follows is not sarcastic, but is an honest assessment of what I saw over 10 years of employment (at 3 different studios)

Read with a “just the facts” tone – and ignore the cynicism that creeps in (after 10 years, it is impossible to avoid)

EA does kill employees to ship games on brutal schedules. Seriously. The rumors wouldn’t be so persistent if there wasn’t truth there. Yes, many teams move into a mandatory 6 or 7 day work-week, with 12 hour days (with the occasional over-nighter). At the worst of crunch, I did several weeks of 14 hour days. With a 14 hour day, there is just enough time to get home, get enough sleep to stay alive, and go back to work. This *is* sustainable – for weeks on end, but isn’t much fun. All shipping projects crunch. This was true in 1998, and in 2008 – and every year between. Usually, this is assumed – and everyone (silently) knows that it is coming. Sometimes, when morale in the studio is low, management will hold an ‘all hands’ meeting to launch “new development practices” – and a “more efficient project management system” …. and a promise of a decent work/life balance, and short (or zero) crunch. Employees like the sound of it, but are very skeptical. But, over the next few months, the discover that the Management promises were true!! Sure, there was that ‘one big demo’ that required some late nights, but – otherwise – the work/life balance isn’t so bad!!!

I’m not sure why – but everyone seems to forget that ALL PROJECTS START THAT WAY. The problems start when the team is actually approaching Alpha. Suddenly, the team realizes that major systems – although planned well – have serious integration issues. Oh, and performance issues. Engineers are very quick to blame themselves. They work 10, 11… 12 hour days to work out the ‘critical’ and ‘blocking’ problems. Then, it is back to finishing features (but – uh oh – the Alpha date passed!!) … feature work continues into Alpha, and usually slips a bit into Beta. By this time, the entire team is working killer hours – meals are catered, and hundreds of wives are considering divorce. (Seriously, EA is not a safe place for your relationship). Anyway, by the time crunch arrives – everyone has LONG forgotten about the ‘new project management’ stuff. Who cares anyway?? The schedule is completely blown (because of multiple failures, it isn’t possible to “fault” one person – or one group). Most of the team feels half-guilty for letting the top-management down, and are convinced that they somehow brought this major breakdown upon themselves. So, mandatory 7 day week. We must finish this thing. We’ll learn from our mistakes. We know what went wrong, and we won’t repeat it. But, right now, we need to get this thing Gold – and shipped to sony and microsoft for approval. QA is still finding class A bugs — engineers yell at QA because the bug existed “since milestone 2!!” — why are we just hearing about it TODAY? But, secretly, the engineer also feels guilty for making such a stupid mistake, and works an all-nighter to get it fixed.

He looks like a hero, and management is pleased. Except – all he did is fix his own ‘one-liner’ bug, and it took him all night to track it down. Accomplishment? No. Paradoxical praise? You bet. (Pay close attention to what a company ‘says’ they value – and what they actually reward. EA rewards workers that kill themselves to get things done. Anyone that says differently is either hiding from that fact, or lying).

So, the game finally ships, and everyone goes on a week or 2 of comp time (resembling a coma). The game ships, sales are huge, game goes platinum, screen-shots and press coverage is everywhere. It feels good.

Management calls an ‘all hands’ meeting to discuss the upcoming cycle, and – maybe – promise some big changes. Will it ever change? Of course not. But, notice that EA employees will complain, but they don’t actually quit. Like crack, it is easy to complain about – but very difficult to walk away from. (Did you look at the value of your vesting stock? Holy crap!! I made more on stock that my entire salary last year!!!!)"

EA is an unbelievable hard company to work for. The most successful employees love it because they get high wages and stock as rewards for their success. But I doubt that the less successful employees like it very much even though they rarely dare to tell about their frustrations. Extremely long work days without good payment aren't for everybody. (Personally I wouldn't even consider to work for such a company.)
  • Options
    edited December 2016

That is a truth with many modifications. From https://davidcrew.wordpress.com/2010/05/12/what-its-like-to-work-at-ea-an-employees-perspective/ :

Before I continue, I’ll admit that I am happy with my own experience at EA (see Pros). What follows is not sarcastic, but is an honest assessment of what I saw over 10 years of employment (at 3 different studios)

Read with a “just the facts” tone – and ignore the cynicism that creeps in (after 10 years, it is impossible to avoid)

EA does kill employees to ship games on brutal schedules. Seriously. The rumors wouldn’t be so persistent if there wasn’t truth there. Yes, many teams move into a mandatory 6 or 7 day work-week, with 12 hour days (with the occasional over-nighter). At the worst of crunch, I did several weeks of 14 hour days. With a 14 hour day, there is just enough time to get home, get enough sleep to stay alive, and go back to work. This *is* sustainable – for weeks on end, but isn’t much fun. All shipping projects crunch. This was true in 1998, and in 2008 – and every year between. Usually, this is assumed – and everyone (silently) knows that it is coming. Sometimes, when morale in the studio is low, management will hold an ‘all hands’ meeting to launch “new development practices” – and a “more efficient project management system” …. and a promise of a decent work/life balance, and short (or zero) crunch. Employees like the sound of it, but are very skeptical. But, over the next few months, the discover that the Management promises were true!! Sure, there was that ‘one big demo’ that required some late nights, but – otherwise – the work/life balance isn’t so bad!!!

I’m not sure why – but everyone seems to forget that ALL PROJECTS START THAT WAY. The problems start when the team is actually approaching Alpha. Suddenly, the team realizes that major systems – although planned well – have serious integration issues. Oh, and performance issues. Engineers are very quick to blame themselves. They work 10, 11… 12 hour days to work out the ‘critical’ and ‘blocking’ problems. Then, it is back to finishing features (but – uh oh – the Alpha date passed!!) … feature work continues into Alpha, and usually slips a bit into Beta. By this time, the entire team is working killer hours – meals are catered, and hundreds of wives are considering divorce. (Seriously, EA is not a safe place for your relationship). Anyway, by the time crunch arrives – everyone has LONG forgotten about the ‘new project management’ stuff. Who cares anyway?? The schedule is completely blown (because of multiple failures, it isn’t possible to “fault” one person – or one group). Most of the team feels half-guilty for letting the top-management down, and are convinced that they somehow brought this major breakdown upon themselves. So, mandatory 7 day week. We must finish this thing. We’ll learn from our mistakes. We know what went wrong, and we won’t repeat it. But, right now, we need to get this thing Gold – and shipped to sony and microsoft for approval. QA is still finding class A bugs — engineers yell at QA because the bug existed “since milestone 2!!” — why are we just hearing about it TODAY? But, secretly, the engineer also feels guilty for making such a plum mistake, and works an all-nighter to get it fixed.

He looks like a hero, and management is pleased. Except – all he did is fix his own ‘one-liner’ bug, and it took him all night to track it down. Accomplishment? No. Paradoxical praise? You bet. (Pay close attention to what a company ‘says’ they value – and what they actually reward. EA rewards workers that kill themselves to get things done. Anyone that says differently is either hiding from that fact, or lying).

So, the game finally ships, and everyone goes on a week or 2 of comp time (resembling a coma). The game ships, sales are huge, game goes platinum, screen-shots and press coverage is everywhere. It feels good.

Management calls an ‘all hands’ meeting to discuss the upcoming cycle, and – maybe – promise some big changes. Will it ever change? Of course not. But, notice that EA employees will complain, but they don’t actually quit. Like crack, it is easy to complain about – but very difficult to walk away from. (Did you look at the value of your vesting stock? Holy plum!! I made more on stock that my entire salary last year!!!!)"

EA is an unbelievable hard company to work for. The most successful employees love it because they get high wages and stock as rewards for their success. But I doubt that the less successful employees like it very much even though they rarely dare to tell about their frustrations. Extremely long work days without good payment aren't for everybody. (Personally I wouldn't even consider to work for such a company.)

Well how well do you know that person? As I said I personally know people who have worked at EA and in all cases still claim that was the best place they ever worked. One worked there over 9 years, one only worked there a year and then went back to school to become of all things an animator and programmer. The third says they miss their nearly 4 year job at EA everyday.

As for crunch time there is no such thing in the game industry or in fact many industries out there where there is not grueling crunch time when it is time for a product to be in the last stages before being shipped. It is the way the world goes - you have delivery dates and they have to be met. Every job I have ever worked has had a grueling crunch time and frankly I do not have a single one of those I would ever classify as missing - lol - and that is the difference. It makes a difference when you know all jobs just about have a grueling crunch time with mandatory work days outside the norms - so you might as well at least pick a job you love of those kind of job and generally it seems people do love working at EA compared to many other game places they have worked before. In fact they actually say they like it for the creative freedom they had at EA. So I guess it depends on who you talk to.

Here's some reviews from mostly ex- EA employees themselves - keep in mind not every one is happy - lol - but it seems the happy one do far outweigh the unhappy - Also you can see the salaries etc by clicking the different headings at the top of that page. The ones that claim low pay were unskilled game testers mostly - which make sense as it is a lot of playing the same thing over and over to find issues. Monotonous to many. Understandable but better than flipping burgers for the same money if you ask me. A good reason to go to college - lol, and get skilled.

http://www.indeed.com/cmp/Electronic-Arts/reviews
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    LoltobiaslolLoltobiaslol Posts: 59 Member
    I like ts4
    5d00f4f56db94993d8d0df0233a2c485.gif

A corruption so profound, that going insane may be the only sane thing to do.
  • Options
    very much

• Options
    but it still needs some improvment

• Options
    like story pogression

• Options
    and townies going to work or playing in their garden

• Options
    and toddlers and pets and seasons

• Options
    and open worlds

• Options

I’m not sure why – but everyone seems to forget that ALL PROJECTS START THAT WAY. The problems start when the team is actually approaching Alpha. Suddenly, the team realizes that major systems – although planned well – have serious integration issues. Oh, and performance issues. Engineers are very quick to blame themselves. They work 10, 11… 12 hour days to work out the ‘critical’ and ‘blocking’ problems. Then, it is back to finishing features (but – uh oh – the Alpha date passed!!) … feature work continues into Alpha, and usually slips a bit into Beta. By this time, the entire team is working killer hours – meals are catered, and hundreds of wives are considering divorce. (Seriously, EA is not a safe place for your relationship). Anyway, by the time crunch arrives – everyone has LONG forgotten about the ‘new project management’ stuff. Who cares anyway?? The schedule is completely blown (because of multiple failures, it isn’t possible to “fault” one person – or one group). Most of the team feels half-guilty for letting the top-management down, and are convinced that they somehow brought this major breakdown upon themselves. So, mandatory 7 day week. We must finish this thing. We’ll learn from our mistakes. We know what went wrong, and we won’t repeat it. But, right now, we need to get this thing Gold – and shipped to sony and microsoft for approval. QA is still finding class A bugs — engineers yell at QA because the bug existed “since milestone 2!!” — why are we just hearing about it TODAY? But, secretly, the engineer also feels guilty for making such a plum mistake, and works an all-nighter to get it fixed.

Management calls an ‘all hands’ meeting to discuss the upcoming cycle, and – maybe – promise some big changes. Will it ever change? Of course not. But, notice that EA employees will complain, but they don’t actually quit. Like crack, it is easy to complain about – but very difficult to walk away from. (Did you look at the value of your vesting stock? Holy plum!! I made more on stock that my entire salary last year!!!!)"

Well how well do you know that person? As I said I personally know people who have worked at EA and in all cases still claim that was the best place they ever worked. One worked there over 9 years, one only worked there a year and then went back to school to become of all things an animator and programmer. The third says they miss their nearly 4 year job at EA everyday.

As for crunch time there is no such thing in the game industry or in fact many industries out there where there is not grueling crunch time when it is time for a product to be in the last stages before being shipped. It is the way the world goes - you have delivery dates and they have to be met. Every job I have ever worked has had a grueling crunch time and frankly I do not have a single one of those I would ever classify as missing - lol - and that is the difference. It makes a difference when you know all jobs just about have a grueling crunch time with mandatory work days outside the norms - so you might as well at least pick a job you love of those kind of job and generally it seems people do love working at EA compared to many other game places they have worked before. In fact they actually say they like it for the creative freedom they had at EA. So I guess it depends on who you talk to.

Here's some reviews from mostly ex- EA employees themselves - keep in mind not every one is happy - lol - but it seems the happy one do far outweigh the unhappy - Also you can see the salaries etc by clicking the different headings at the top of that page. The ones that claim low pay were unskilled game testers mostly - which make sense as it is a lot of playing the same thing over and over to find issues. Monotonous to many. Understandable but better than flipping burgers for the same money if you ask me. A good reason to go to college - lol, and get skilled.

http://www.indeed.com/cmp/Electronic-Arts/reviews
    You should read all his description on https://davidcrew.wordpress.com/2010/05/12/what-its-like-to-work-at-ea-an-employees-perspective/ because he actually also likes to work for EA where he got promoted to the top.

But it is a well known fact that EA always has been very hard to work for. Therefore most of Westwoods employees left when Westwood was bought by EA and many of them formed a new company such that they didn't have to just obey EA and take unpaid overtime too. That was a long time ago though and I believe that EA learned just a little from it because EA of course didn't profit from the purchase of Westwood for $122.5 million when almost all the employees just left. Still EA is very ambitios and also later reports from different sources show that EA is still "killing its employees to ship the games as fast and as cheap as possible". But I think that EA learned to pay the best employees extra both because it was so important to keep them from leaving and also to give the lower paid employees something to work extra hard for.

Other reports show how hard EA try to keep the employees by threatening earlier employees from hiring their earlier collegues in EA. See http://kotaku.com/5946457/read-eas-aggressive-warning-letter-to-a-former-employee