Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

is nobody alarmed that vital gameplay is now sold in SPs?

With butlers being SP exclusive, the way that I see it, this is an excellent business strategy. EA can churn out a 7£ stuff pack every month with a single gameplay element that would be important enough for us to fork over money (thieves, policemen, firemen, washing machines) and if enough players get excited about getting their favorite feature back and agree to pay 7£ a month, what is the point in even making expansion packs?

This is actually a great way to sell less for more and more often, very good for the franchise, however I see exactly 0 people worrying about it. Meaning happy customer, happy EA, even though in reality we're getting less for more cash.

Comments

• Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Similar thoughts to my own. The focus is now on smaller GPs with some 'fun' features to get players to try it. I have never played the GPs myself so I cannot comment too much but I have seen mixed reactions towards some of them. I see a lot of players have enjoyed 'Dinning Out' but less praise for 'Outdoor Retreat'

SPs also seem to cover this as well like you suggested. A dishwasher came with the kitchen one although it was actually free in the patch meaning the only things you where paying for was some kitchen items. The kids SP seemed cool with the 'monster under the bed' but I see the hype for that died off months ago
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    @king_of_simcity7 OT is the best GP and DO is the worst in my opinion, but the greater majority do feel differently.
    mirta000 wrote: »
    With butlers being SP exclusive, the way that I see it, this is an excellent business strategy. EA can churn out a 7£ stuff pack every month with a single gameplay element that would be important enough for us to fork over money (thieves, policemen, firemen, washing machines) and if enough players get excited about getting their favorite feature back and agree to pay 7£ a month, what is the point in even making expansion packs?

This is actually a great way to sell less for more and more often, very good for the franchise, however I see exactly 0 people worrying about it. Meaning happy customer, happy EA, even though in reality we're getting less for more cash.

EA is publishing company that publishes the games that Maxis (game development company) creates.

You can try to stir the pot if you to but if you sit and think about it. The stuff packs are really not that much different then sets one could buy from the TS3 store. Which by the way was nearly twice as much as money for twice as much less content with the greater majority of the sets.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • Options
    I'd pay $100 per EP if that's what they were sold for. The Sims 4 is the best game on the market and I'm more than happy to put money in the developers' pockets.
  • Options
    cameronw209cameronw209 Posts: 1,497 Member
    I don't see how this would be any different to certain "vital" features being EP exclusive. It just so happens this "vital" feature is in a Stuff pack. Either way, it's still DLC. Hardly shocking.

Note: Quoting "vital" due to being unsure as to whom or what constitutes such a vague term.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Prink34320 wrote: »
    May I ask how any of the game-play within Stuff Packs is objectively 'vital'?

Considering the Stuff Packs are half the price of those from the previous two iterations and we get the same, if not more, content with them - as well as additional game-play, how are we only now paying more for less? Especially if you include The Sims 3 Store?

I would really like to see evidence to support your claim by the way.

A lot of people didn't like the TS3 Store but I have no complaints.m

Why buy an EP when you might only want one or two items when the store has some sets, sometimes on discount with good valued items or worlds.m

Roaring Heights is an EP in itself really, if you get the bundle you get the boardwalk (I think you do anyway) and you get new decorative items that you cannot get anywhere else and it is a very large and open world with a lot of charm

It was the last major release for TS3 and helped the game go out with a bang. Funnily enough it still gets played now :smile:

Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    I think the GPS and most of the SPs make up for the lack of hype I feel towards EPs. OR probably wasn't so well received because 1) Camping wasn't always the biggest hype in past games and 2) The concept of GPs were new and no one was really sure how it would turn out. So of course everyone initially was hesitant with OR since it was a first for the series. DO definitely had more hype cause the theme was something everyone overall loved and by then the gurus had an idea of what to do without GPs. There's probably more hype around those types of DLC than there is with EPs.

I'm actually noticing the opposite. We are finally getting more content in SPs and only paying half the initial cost of what you'd be getting from store content from TS3.
    1FKDfKj.png
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    Similar thoughts to my own. The focus is now on smaller GPs with some 'fun' features to get players to try it. I have never played the GPs myself so I cannot comment too much but I have seen mixed reactions towards some of them. I see a lot of players have enjoyed 'Dinning Out' but less praise for 'Outdoor Retreat'

SPs also seem to cover this as well like you suggested. A dishwasher came with the kitchen one although it was actually free in the patch meaning the only things you where paying for was some kitchen items. The kids SP seemed cool with the 'monster under the bed' but I see the hype for that died off months ago

Hi king! Cool kitchen came with an ice-cream maker as a premium object, not a dishwasher. It's actually really cool and has around 20 to 30 flavors. Every single ice-cream can be made in a cup or come and also has around 7 garnishes and 7 toppings you can customize too!

Also the monster under the bed was a patch. Kids room stuffs premium objects were a void critter station which let you collect trade and battle virtual reality cards like Pokemon. The other was a puppet theater where kids could perform plays for other kids and adults. :)
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    Prink34320 wrote: »
    May I ask how any of the game-play within Stuff Packs is objectively 'vital'?

Considering the Stuff Packs are half the price of those from the previous two iterations and we get the same, if not more, content with them - as well as additional game-play, how are we only now paying more for less? Especially if you include The Sims 3 Store?

I would really like to see evidence to support your claim by the way.

A lot of people didn't like the TS3 Store but I have no complaints.m

Why buy an EP when you might only want one or two items when the store has some sets, sometimes on discount with good valued items or worlds.m

Roaring Heights is an EP in itself really, if you get the bundle you get the boardwalk (I think you do anyway) and you get new decorative items that you cannot get anywhere else and it is a very large and open world with a lot of charm

It was the last major release for TS3 and helped the game go out with a bang. Funnily enough it still gets played now :smile:

With all due respect, how is roaring heights EP quality?
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    mirta000 wrote: »

Yes. I can totally see them selling Toddlers this way in a pack too. :/
  • Options
    Aeroprincess87Aeroprincess87 Posts: 6,419 Member
    I don't mind it as long as it means more fleshed out features, which it seems to be now. The butlers from what I saw in the trailer look more posh which is what I'd expect of a butler. Not just some random sim in dressed in a nice pair of tails.
  • Options
    Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    Yes I do see the potential for the mother of all plum storms brewing if they charge for firemen, burglars or toddlers in the future.

But butlers? Not so much.
  • Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    I see no alarm at all. I think every pack I have purchased for Sims 4 was worth my money. I couldn't say the same for all Sims 3 packs or even Sims 2's stuff packs.
  • Options
    mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    To the op, what has been vital? Are pets or seasons being sold in a stuff pack?

Forgive me for asking, but how are we getting less for more when Sims 3 packs contained the same amount of items, was twice as expensive and didn't contain gameplay?

Also we are NOT getting a stuff pack every month, I suggest you edit your post as its incorrect.

Because currently we're getting one expansion pack a year. With how much "effort" they put in those, it would not surprise me if with SPs like that EA's metric would show that SPs are more profitable than EPs and that they would drop EPs all together. It's alarming that SPs are getting more gameplay items and EPs are getting less, because this is the road we seem to be getting to. Everything will likely become more and more bite sized DLCs until we will literally turn into train simulator.
    With all due respect, how is roaring heights EP quality?

What did CL provide? Apartments that you can not place or move, festivals and a town. What did Roaring Heights provide? Apartments that you can place and move, a rollercoaster and a town.
  • Options
    Inna MinnitInna Minnit Posts: 2,008 Member
    I haven't read the whole topic, so this may have been addressed.... but lots of game play is patched in the the basegame for free. Basements, pools, gardeners, group activities. I would think the butler will be a free patch. We will have to wait to see. But seriously... it's $10.
  • Options
    crazycat_135crazycat_135 Posts: 1,349 Member
    I personally like SPs. They cost less than the SPs and store content that we got for ts3. We even get gameplay for less. I remember struggling to even keep up with the store content because it was so expensive. I say the SPs we have now are a win win. Just my OP though. ;)