Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

TS4 Sims & Modeling Chat Thread

Comments

• Options
    FauxEvermoreFauxEvermore Posts: 226 Member
    @MizoreYukii Here's the B&A of an earlier version with slightly different hair and less cleaned up. I wasn't happy with it so i kept tweaking lol

31076587220_a881cc7061_b.jpg

And yup, I use dodge and burn (in gimp) with brushes that look "rough" and "grainy" to mimic skin, ie. light doesn't reflect smoothly on skin bc of pores, imperfections, bumps etc. So I try to recreate that effect with grainy highlights and shadows (more so on the highlights)
  • Options
    MizoreYukiiMizoreYukii Posts: 6,566 Member
  • Options
    KelebekKelebek Posts: 2,079 Member
    jpikman wrote: »
    @MizoreYukii Here's the B&A of an earlier version with slightly different hair and less cleaned up. I wasn't happy with it so i kept tweaking lol

31076587220_a881cc7061_b.jpg

And yup, I use dodge and burn (in gimp) with brushes that look "rough" and "grainy" to mimic skin, ie. light doesn't reflect smoothly on skin bc of pores, imperfections, bumps etc. So I try to recreate that effect with grainy highlights and shadows (more so on the highlights)

Yo but that's like amazing,look effortless but you put a lot of work in it!
  • Options
    gramatiquegramatique Posts: 526 Member
    @jpikman YOU GOTTA JOIN A CONTEST ASAP @_@

Also thanks for the grainy tip, I might try that on something fufufu~ I know that this sort of technique was really popular back in the S2 days, so I wonder if it's going to be popular here too. :o
  • Options
    @MizoreYukii thank you so much! Unfortunately, it does take a very long time; there's no set "rule" to where to do the grainy highlights lol

@Kelebek Aww, thank you! Yeah, it's a painfully long process lol :#

@gramatique Thank you! I definitely will join a contest soon! And yep, the grainy / skin-like look was used by some of the editors in the Sims 2 days. I think it eventually transitioned to a bunch of people leaving the community to expand into other 3D graphics (Second Life, Daz, Poser) or become graphics artist (simultaneous with the development of, what is now, simmerizing, photo-simming and faceplastering). For example, one of the best Sims 2 sim creators from back in the day (Jirka), is now apparently a pretty famous graphic artist (not sure if you guys have seen the "Real Life Disney" series, which re imagines Disney characters as real life renditions, but it's is by him - it's wonderful btw)

Thank you so much everyone! I'm really excited you guys like it - I used to love sharing my edits and entering comps (and even hosting comps). It's been a while hahaha
  • Options
    NShippudenFanNShippudenFan Posts: 3,825 Member
    @jpikman what a gorgeous image! I'd love to see you in comps, haha! You're so good! ;)
    LOVER of all things cosplay, anime, cats, Shadowhunters, and Sims 4!

Origin ID: Sims4Girl202

• Options
    peppergirl84peppergirl84 Posts: 255 Member
    @jpikman holy crap you are so good!! Jesus. Please tell me you have tutorial videos or something because I would definitely watch them. It looks so flawless. Roughly how long does it take you to achieve that realness??
    Headshots by T.
    1oGnYH4.png
  • Options
    @NShippudenFan Aww, thank you so much!

@peppergirl84 Thank you! Unfortunately, I don't have tutorial videos, but I'm not opposed to creating them (but they do take a lot of time to create). I do have 100MB Gimp files with like 50 layers though lol. It takes about 5-6hrs straight to create that kind of edit + several days of tweaks
  • Options
    NShippudenFanNShippudenFan Posts: 3,825 Member
    @jpikman that's incredible! Idk if I'd have the patience for that! ;)
    LOVER of all things cosplay, anime, cats, Shadowhunters, and Sims 4!

Origin ID: Sims4Girl202

• Options
    @NShippudenFan Haha me neither sometimes - I think that was part of the reason I left the community many years ago, it went from being a chill and fun activity to being really time consuming and obsessively detailed lol - that's on me lol
  • Options
    Well if you ever did, I would definitely watch @jpikman. I can't wait to see some of your comp work. =)
    Headshots by T.
    1oGnYH4.png
  • Options
    ArtsyAmyArtsyAmy Posts: 1,312 Member
    edited December 2016
    I just wanted to say there are several Photoshop Tutorials HERE for making enhancements for eyes, skin, and more.

And, if you use Gimp, there are some HERE

Several of the ones for IMVU will work similarly for simming. (The tools/process is essentially the same to learn.) :)

LCTYbER.gif
    Judging In: Versace's Finest | Simplistic Magazine Competition-CYCLE 2

"Anyone can criticize; Can YOU inspire?"-unknown
  • Options
    Thanks for the links @ArtsyAmy495! it looks helpful. :)
    Headshots by T.
    1oGnYH4.png
  • Options
    wbombjewbombje Posts: 1,244 Member
    @jpikman Awesome editing techniques! Your models look very realistic. Can't wait to see you in comps :).
    Ayq5S7Y.png
  • Options
    MizoreYukiiMizoreYukii Posts: 6,566 Member
    I'M ON VACATION
    YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Ugh but I have so much side stuff to do though. xD
    BUT SCHOOL IS DONE FOR LIKE 3 WEEKS! *parties*

Now to get organized and start my massive to-do list. But I'll officially do it tomorrow. I'm so tired. ;-;
  • Options
    VanadisVanadis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Ugh boo on you for getting 3 weeks' vacation. I only get 1 week every 3 months. x.x (I go to a year-round university.)

I'm gonna start back in uni soon. I'm thinking April, because March has the 1-week spring break, and ugh. I don't want to have to do an entire CD re-design in 3 weeks. I mean I guess I could... maybe I'll just start whenever they'll let me? I mean I'm gonna die either way so.
    She says that love is for fools that fall behind
    I'm somewhere between
    I never really know a killer from a savior
  • Options
    @peppergirl84 You're welcome! <3:) I just like trying to share anything I can. I know so many graphic artists, photographers, and artists in RL so I know that once you understand the programs you can apply the techniques to any platform or image, and even create some amazing "artwork" from scratch. Also, a lot of people go to school JUST to do this, but everything CAN be learned and developed with practice....it's just time. :)

I am a big fan of Art in any form! <3 I do in RL, I guess what some call "Traditional Art" but also love "Digital Art" too. :)
    LCTYbER.gif

• Options
    Here are pictures from a recent in-game shoot that I did. I missed out on the trailer-chic shoot, so I thought I would try a fun shoot of my own. These are with different models:

30828815204_0dfc8bcbc4_c.jpg

30860104913_72bbd91f17_c.jpg
    Ayq5S7Y.png
  • Options
    @wbombje Very nice! B) I wish that was my weather right now! lol :D
    LCTYbER.gif

• Options
    Jendowoz0612Jendowoz0612 Posts: 8,212 Member
    ArtsyAmy wrote: »
    I just wanted to say there are several Photoshop Tutorials HERE for making enhancements for eyes, skin, and more.

And, if you use Gimp, there are some HERE

Several of the ones for IMVU will work similarly for simming. (The tools/process is essentially the same to learn.) :)

Thank you for these, Amy checked some of them out, they are very well explained.

• Options
    Wow! I think you would've nailed that assignment @wbombje ! So unfortunate you had to drop out then :( still though, they look loooovely <3
  • Options
    @ArtsyAmy I totally understand, like I do this as a hobby but also because I'd like to get better a photo editing in general. I would like to apply these techniques to any photos I edit. Plus since I just finished with college for life I guess I need hobbies now! Lol so this well is one, and maybe I'll get really good at it haha.
    Headshots by T.
    1oGnYH4.png
  • Options
    @Jendowoz0612 You're most welcome hun! <3 Yes, they are pretty neat, right!? B)<3

@peppergirl84 lol, but it sounds like you're off to a good start! And yes, we definitely need hobbies! :D Well, I hope you have big fun developing your hobby & congrats on finishing off your college! Woo-hoo!!! :*
    LCTYbER.gif

• Options
    @peppergirl84 and really anyone who may be interested, there may be an activity up in the near future that is aimed towards those who wish to improve without the time constraint of competitions :) I'm sure @MizoreYukii will add more info in the next few days. :)

(Sorry Mizzie I have to hype it up because it is really exciting! :D)
  • Options
    @artsyamy Thank you so much!
    @gramatique Aww, thanks :). And thanks for the heads up on the activity. Now that I have a few weeks off I want to focus on improving my editing and learning new skills. Sounds great!
    Ayq5S7Y.png