The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

TS4 Sims & Modeling Chat Thread

Comments

• Options
    NShippudenFanNShippudenFan Posts: 3,825 Member
    @rosenero10 thanks so much!
    LOVER of all things cosplay, anime, cats, Shadowhunters, and Sims 4!

Origin ID: Sims4Girl202

• Options
    gramatiquegramatique Posts: 526 Member
    edited December 2016
    HHRNK I actually wondered whether I should make a thread called inspiration board for everyone to share their inspiration but I thought it might be better to just post here.

Sooo, photo-manipulation or composite photos is the art category where I would place Sim editing under. I came across a certain piece of work from reddit and I thought it would be nice to share here, alongside a rant to kind of explain why Sim editing is a secret hobby for me. It's in a spoiler so you don't need to read it LOL
    While this type of art is great and requires a lot of skill to master, there are still some who still have a narrow-minded view of what art is. Some see Photoshop not as a tool - just like a pencil or a paintbrush - but as a crutch, or simply something to add hipster filters or whatever. Which sucks balls, because we all know that Photoshop and the programs like it is very much a tool, and a very complex and expansive one at that. But alas, there are still some who would look at what I do and say "all you're doing is adding so-and-so and some filters to it, where's the art in that?" It's so frustrating to hear because I do spend quite a few hours in some of my entries and simply because I didn't paint them from scratch, it's seen as "lesser." Seriously, art and photomanipulation requires similar fundamental skill set in order to be successful, and there are areas in photomanipulation that I personally find more challenging in comparison to digital art.

For example, finding the right components for a photo. Finding the right stock image is quite difficult, even more so when you do not have access to $$$. Sometimes it's hit or miss for me in photomanipulation. And sometimes, it requires me to change my plans because of it. In art, you can just DRAW DAT SHIET MAN. Plans deviate in digital art (for me) because of laziness, not because of difficulty lol.

And that is why Tique keeps this hobby a secret, because she's afraid to be judged ;___;

Now that that's over (phew), here is an example of an excellent photographer who also does photomanip: Erik Johansson. And here is the art I actually saw that prompted me to rant about it, because well... this is masterfully done, in my opinion. However, there were some individuals who discredited it, thinking it wasn't as great simply BECAUSE it wasn't an oil painting (like wat, do we live in the 1800s or something).

Муза (Muse) by Dmitry Rogozhkin
    pj13o3sgdk1y.png

And here is his Facebook page where you can see more of his work: link

Honestly this is just me wanting to share such a beautiful composite photo, but some of the comments just really irritated me. And I ranted, feel free to discuss and stuff, but I just wanted to share an inspiration to you all. :)

And you're all so creative, please keep doing what you're doing <3

• Options
    FauxEvermoreFauxEvermore Posts: 226 Member
    @gramatique That's a beautiful 'photo' and a great post. Art (intrinsically) should be the product of whatever the artist wants it to be. And again, that 'photo' is stunning and eerie and whimsical and fantastic!

Separately, I was wondering if this is the right place to post this: but could someone please explain what exactly is the difference btw. photoskinning and faceplastering? I've been hearing the terms a lot (and I'm back from the Sims Contest days, before these terms came up lol). What exactly makes something photoskinned? What if something is 100% sim / drawn, except the hair, which is from a google photo? What is that considered?
  • Options
    wrswrs2wrswrs2 Posts: 935 Member
    I am so annoyed by all these adfly links. I find them super sketchy and then some sites like Hallowsims, which makes great stuff, has 2 links! One is more than enough. I won't download CC with the adfly links anymore.
    http://ecoast.tumblr.com/ --- Simblr + Im Kreis Custom Content
    http://tmmts4.tumblr.com/ --- Top Model Magazine Cover Archive
  • Options
    MizoreYukiiMizoreYukii Posts: 6,566 Member
    @gramatique That is so awesome! It's a shame people are saying this is not art, because it really is. Art has changed so much since it was basically first "discovered", so I guess we just have to give everyone time before it's fully accepted, like so many other art forms. :/

@wrswrs2 Oh I know! It's gotten so bad lately. :grimace:

@jpikman Photoskinning – this is taking pieces of skin, hair, eyes, lips, eyebags, pores, etc. from a person and adding it onto a sim (to make them more "real"). It depends on the host, but some will not consider hair as bad and will allow it, so you need to ask before attempting it (unless they already stated their opinion in the rules or a post). Some people refer to taking clothes, objects, etc. from a photo as "photoskinning", but we use "photomanipulation" for that instead to avoid confusion, or just refer to it as "Google" items/props/clothing. Some use the term stock but since they are just from random photos on Google and not a stock website, it's not really a correct term. xD

Faceplastering – (A more correct term is bodyplastering, but the term originated because it started with a face, and in most incidents they stuck to just a face/upper portion of the body.) This involves pasting your sims face, neck, chest, or belly, and even the limbs for certain photos, onto another person's clothed or nude body (either artwork such as 3D, drawn, anime, painted, comics books, etc; other games; or real people). This person's body can either be removed entirely before plastering, or be plastered over (which is also called simmerizing). For the competitions that allow you to use "Google" clothes, all "Google" clothes should be taken apart and placed onto the sim, not the other way around (pose combining/frankensimming, or pose creating, is recommended if you are working with tricky dresses, that way faceplastering is avoided). Faceplastering is not allowed under any circumstances in any of the comps, there's too much wrong with it (including the theft and cheating they are committing).
  • Options
    @MizoreYukii Thank you so much! That's extremely helpful. I guess I have a few more questions.

What about drawing / enhancing pores, eyes, lips on your in Photoshop without taking pieces of photos? How about using photos for reference? (to better understand how lighting reflects on skin)?

Ahh I wish I was a full member so I can provide some examples. I guess, I use photos for reference (I do NOT take pieces of them and blend into my edit). I look at the photos to see how the light reflects in the skin, how the shadows are placed - and then on my own use dodge, burn, sharpen etc. to get the same effect. Is that considered ok? Even if the end results are pretty 'realistic'?

What about using frankensimming(?) to recreate a photo and then drawing / editing in Photoshop to make it look more realistic? (but again, not using parts of the photo in the edit)
  • Options
    @jpikman There may be some instances where you aren't allowed to draw (e.g. in some rounds where only minimal editing is allowed). But, as far as I know, drawing your own stuff from scratch is allowed.

And I'm sure it's alright to use photos as reference or as a study reference! :smiley: Frankensimming (widely known as pose combining in the Sims 3 community I believe) is also a welcome technique. :)

OMG if none of those are allowed I'm pretty much breaking all the rules D:
  • Options
    @gramatique Thank you! That's very helpful to know (and a relief haha). You're edits are amazing btw. And everyone is so good at drawing hair - I just can't get it haha, so end up using real hair :D
  • Options
    I'm sure @MizoreYukii can expand on it and correct me if needed, since she's been around here for way longer than I have :D

And aww thank you, you're so kind :) I'm looking forward to seeing you participate in these contests! Always great to see a new face :smiley:
  • Options
    @gramatique Thank you! Actually, I joined the new Sims Contest Forum (Simmetry Designs) a few days ago and you welcomed me in the Intro section there haha (my username there is Faux_Evermore)...gonna try to change my username here to be consistent lol
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    @jpikman Drawing is allowed in majority of competitions (they usually state yes or no in the rules, but majority don't care. And as long as the majority of your sim is from the game, since drawing a sim from scratch is not allowed, because then it wouldn't be a sim), enhancing (like sharpening, etc.) has always been allowed, and using references is always allowed (and recommended by me, I'm a stickler for realistic stuff like lighting). xD So even if your sims come out more realistic looking after editing, it's fine, just as long as you're not photoskinning, or faceplastering, and the sim is your sim still (you can usually tell when someone photoskins, it's very creepy and off-putting to the eyes).

Frankensimming your sim is allowed too (or pose combining like @gramatique said for us S3 people xD), just as long as it's your sim (and again not photoskinning or faceplastering, everything should be your sim from head to toe, even if some drawing is done). Blending backgrounds (like a garden and sky), or creating backgrounds from scratch, is also allowed in case you're wondering.

Does all of that make sense? :3
  • Options
    @MizoreYukii Yup, I think so - that's very helpful. Thank you! Once I can post pics, maybe I'll just post a couple of my previous edits in this thread to run it by everyone as well
  • Options
    flubber32c4flubber32c4 Posts: 2,583 Member
    a lovely weekend to you ! <3 ladies :3
    X1Iu2Vu.jpg
  • Options

huge :3

...... i hope you like it
    kkWY1ll.jpg
  • Options
    xJojoxxJojox Posts: 6,878 Member
  • Options
    xJojox wrote: »
    like the close up one flubs.
    thank you <3 i adore this hair :3
  • Options
    @jpikman That would be awesome to see!
    Hey I was wondering, do you still play TS2?

@flubber32c4 Great photos! She's so sad though. D:
  • Options
    @jpikman That would be awesome to see!
    Hey I was wondering, do you still play TS2?

@flubber32c4 Great photos! She's so sad though. D:

thank you ! ;)<3
    your avi looks cool !!
  • Options
    ..... and here are some more pics that i made this week ! =)

RW5McVm.jpg
    x71nLpx.jpg
  • Options
    OMG :surprised: :hurrah:
    These emoji's. xD What even man :lol:
    I miss a few of the other ones though. D:

@flubber32c4 Thank you! I love seeing your photos. You're such a great photographer. :smile:
  • Options
    KelebekKelebek Posts: 2,079 Member
    @MizoreYukii Wait,did your PC update?Cos that's when I got new emojis,I like this one the most lolol :angry:
  • Options
    VanadisVanadis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Emojis updating on a forum have nothing to do with your PC updating. They're not in any way linked. It was probably a coincidence.

The new emojis are kind of funny though xD
    She says that love is for fools that fall behind
    I'm somewhere between
    I never really know a killer from a savior
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    @Kelebek Nope! I noticed this transition happened sometime between checking my messages this morning (sometime around 10) and then sitting down for lunch, so 12 ish.....Or it was all in my head and these have been here since earlier. :lol: Weird. :confounded:

It's perfect!!! :angry::rage: Loooool :lol:
    These are kinda awesome, they feel more meeeee :awesome: *Fabulous pose*
    I miss my smile sweat drop though. What will I do now when I am all awkward!? D:
    And I didn't get a chance to use the troll face....*Pouts* :unamused:
  • Options
    KelebekKelebek Posts: 2,079 Member
    How bout this one :proud: and this one :expressionless: I LOVE THIS ONE LOLOL :expressionless: