The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

So, I Finally Give Up On This Game.

Comments

• Options
    NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    NZsimm3r wrote: »
    I get what you mean. I've been trying to explain this 'thing' to my significant other for some time now. It's almost as if I have to work too hard to create different stories in my head as I play as each sim I play basically does more or less the same thing. I can directly compare this to TS3 most easily as I still play that a lot. In TS3 the differences just naturally occur and so each sim feels unique and quite different, somehow I find that relaxing and enjoyable.

I get tense from fighting against the AI in TS4. I play with free will on in all my games but in TS4 it is often a struggle to get my sim to actually do what I've directed him to do. We can even 'fight' about what radio channel will be on!! Crazy but true! My sim will constantly switch it out to one I don't want to listen to!

A bubble bath will take care of that moodlet for you pretty quick. ;)

:joy: lol very true! :p

@Sk8rblaze yes, it really is not a sandbox game anymore at all.

@Glimmer50 the radio switching gets rather demented on my end... switch...switch back....switch...switch back and so on... lol kind funny when you think about it but very annoying to deal with! :expressionless:
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    urygauryga Posts: 559 Member
    I'm playing it, but I really think I'm done too.
    Don't think I going to spend no more of my money on it.
    I've noticed that the EP's are pretty, but getting less and less of play it your way and more like play it our way.
    I don't like control freek's play style and that's how the game feels now.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    uryga wrote: »
    I've noticed that the EP's are pretty, but getting less and less of play it your way and more like play it our way.

My concern is that the focus these days tends to be on the looks rather than the personality.

I mean the new monorail in City Living looks awesome, but it is just there for the show the same was as the steamer in the base game.

You can see these cool areas but you cannot access them while being able to edit the neighbourhood is almost impossible except for building your own houses on what ever lots there are available and the new apartments' and little more than portals with a view of backdrops.

:disappointed:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    edited November 2016

My concern is that the focus these days tends to be on the looks rather than the personality.

I mean the new monorail in City Living looks awesome, but it is just there for the show the same was as the steamer in the base game.

You can see these cool areas but you cannot access them while being able to edit the neighbourhood is almost impossible except for building your own houses on what ever lots there are available and the new apartments' and little more than portals with a view of backdrops.

How could you expect otherwise in a "game" where stuff packs sell better than the big expansion packs?

It isn't EA's fault that people prefer to buy stuff instead of new gameplay. It is the customers' own fault that this had happened. So we can't really blame EA that also the big EPs now are more about the looks and new stuff than about new better and more interesting gameplay. But personally I don't feel guilty because I never have bought a stuff pack ;)
  • Options
    Erpe wrote: »

How could you expect otherwise in a "game" where stuff packs sell better than the big expansion packs?

It isn't EA's fault that people prefer to buy stuff instead of new gameplay. It is the customers' own fault that this had happened. So we can't really blame EA that also the big EPs now are more about the looks and new stuff than about new better and more interesting gameplay. But personally I don't feel guilty because I never have bought a stuff pack ;)

The customer is always right, unless they play The Sims! :D
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    You know what drives me crazy about this place? Or rather one of the things.

Most of the things that people are critical about with TS4 also happened in TS3, from the 'wooden' sims to the 'repetitive, shallow' play. You can sit and argue with me all day long, but you can't deny that (people will) and yet here we are pretending like they didn't. It drives me completely and utterly round the bend.
  • Options
    simspeaker4simspeaker4 Posts: 5,999 Member
    Arletta wrote: »

Most of the things that people are critical about with TS4 also happened in TS3, from the 'wooden' sims to the 'repetitive, shallow' play. You can sit and argue with me all day long, but you can't deny that (people will) and yet here we are pretending like they didn't. It drives me completely and utterly round the bend.

"People will forget this outrage when the next outrage hits the front page." (Adam Schiff - Law & Order) On the other hand, I personally don't see the 'repetitive, shallow play' or 'wooden sims' in my TS3 game. I enjoy TS3. Yeah, there are glitches that sometimes drive me batty but compared to TS4 I actually care about my sims and see them as distinct individuals. But, according to some people, I am in some weird minority. Oh well.
    I am a perfectly decrepit withered old hag who enjoys self-mockery.

Need help falling asleep? http://wry7000.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    victoriapittvictoriapitt Posts: 33 Member
    Wow, I share the same feelings. I feel like if you've come from TS3, TS4 just doesn't seem like a step forward in the franchise, it feels like its on a different planet to TS3. As a hardcore TS3 player, TS4 just seemed so lack luster; yes the CAS is good and everything looks pretty and generally runs better, but I just don't enjoy it as much, its not as personal and open ended as TS3...
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member

People just expect every new Sims game to be an improvement from the previous one. This was to some extent true from TS2 to TS3 because of the open world even though some of the changes were a step back too. But from TS3 to TS4 it is very hard to find any improvements at all. So there are no compensations for the things which went in the wrong direction for most simmers. Therefore so many simmers have gone back to TS3 and/or TS2 and fewer and fewer of them plan to ever return to TS4.
  • Options
    AshystarAshystar Posts: 182 Member
    I like the sims 3 and 4 for different reasons. Sims 4 plays so smoothly for me but sims 3 is sooo annoyingly jumpy and freezy, so i cant bring my self to play it very often. If they could just squash the sims 3 and 4 together and create sims 4.0 id be happy
  • Options
    CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member

I don't have "wooden" sims, because I use quality CC. I don't have repetitive and shallow play, because I use all EPs and plenty of mods allowing a unique custom gameplay. Your complaint about TS3 is true for CC-free, mod-free base game only.
    I play TS3 since its release and I'm still not getting bored. And graphically, I love it.
  • Options
    Candyd wrote: »

I don't have "wooden" sims, because I use quality CC. I don't have repetitive and shallow play, because I use all EPs and plenty of mods allowing a unique custom gameplay. Your complaint about TS3 is true for CC-free, mod-free base game only.
    I play TS3 since its release and I'm still not getting bored. And graphically, I love it.

I don't use CC and I still dont have wooden Sims :smiley:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member

"People will forget this outrage when the next outrage hits the front page." (Adam Schiff - Law & Order) On the other hand, I personally don't see the 'repetitive, shallow play' or 'wooden sims' in my TS3 game. I enjoy TS3. Yeah, there are glitches that sometimes drive me batty but compared to TS4 I actually care about my sims and see them as distinct individuals. But, according to some people, I am in some weird minority. Oh well.

I am in the same "minority" that you are, then.

• Options
    VoeilleVoeille Posts: 474 Member
    I’m happy with my TS2. I can build apartments, have meaningful relationships, sims aren’t cheaters glued to their phones, they don’t stare into space while eating, I have family play when I feel like making my sims have kids, rotational play isn’t broken... When I feel like open world, exploring, more skills and nice new things like scuba diving I can play TS3. Yes, splicing plants, separate hats and multiple upgrades on objects in TS4 are nice, but that definitely doesn’t outweigh anything that’s wrong with the game. TS4 just doesn’t provide anything that’d make it worth playing over older sims games. It’s just a failed attempt of creating something ‘new and shiny’, and basically everything it has it’s worse than TS1, 2 and 3 except a few things, but again, those things are way too small. There’s no big innovation in TS4, it has nothing special or great to make me want to play it. Hopefully TS5 will be a real sims game instead of a shallow spin-off pretending to be a sequel.
    “Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
    Pond & Sea Water Overhaul (TS2)
    Simblr (my TS2 CC)
    MTS Profile
  • Options
    CharlottesmomCharlottesmom Posts: 7,015 Member

^^^^^^^^^^ THIS Exactly!! Lets put it this way if my Sims 3 game was obliterated in some disappearing file glitch or something and could never be retireved I would literally cry, for probably a long time over my lost Sims.. If my Sims 4 game was obliterated in the same fashion I wouldn't care at all. I had a close call about a year ago when fiddling with my Sims 3 files trying to "fix" something. When my husband got home he looked very concerned as I looked like I was going to start crying because I thought my 4 favorite me made Sims 3 families were gone for good. My lovely and computer savvy husband saved them thank goodness!!

Repetitive, shallow play, and wooden Sims do not apply to my game at all, if you are bored with Sims 3 I have no idea what game you are playing...there is tons of things to do in 3 even if you only have a few EPs.
  • Options
    GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member

Not sure what game you were playing, but I know it was Sims 3.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    WillowG145WillowG145 Posts: 351 Member

Same here. Plus, I return time to time to the sims 2 too, and quite frankly I find the animations more than Ok. I don't see all this quality in the sims 4 animations. I find those very caricatural, overexaggerated, and enter in the uncanny valley for me, expecially the expressions.
    The smiles expecially feel quite creepy half the time to me, mostly because those happen when is unnecessary. Sims in the sims 2/3 smile when they see something they like, or have something to smile to (like a recent engangement or marriage: my sims in the the sims 3 would smile dreamily while seeing their loved one, or admiring their rings, or reacting to a new furniture, but the smile is usually a reaction)
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    edited November 2016
    I don't think I've ever complained about TS3 sims being "wooden" or "robotic" or whatever the latest buzzword put down for TS3 sims is these days.
    I however did complain very loudly about the babyish "safe" gaemplay that was introduced initially with TS3, and in some of the EP's. It felt like it was aimed at kindergarteners. Unicorns for one. I despise them. I am not a five year old girl. I don't need a freaking unicorn. I need more slapping, more fighting, more grit. Never really seemed to get it in Ts3 until later packs.

It still drives me mad that families don't eat dinner together and converse like they did in TS2. That, to this day, alongside being able to bathe your freaking cat but not your toddler in the bath, is my biggest teeth gritting peeve with TS3.

I did watch one of Jo's party comparison videos though, and the TS4 bartender that was just standing there, staring straight ahead and not even moving behind the bar... well... people might want to rethink their ideas on "robotic" because that was the worst I'd seen. Even TS3 robots are less robotic than that.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    SimFan298SimFan298 Posts: 1,079 Member

Wooden Sims? Yes. Definitely.

Repetitive, shallow gameplay? All Sims games have the same type of gameplay, so I don't get it.
    Origin ID: theAidster21

The Sims has always been an important part of my life, and may it continue to be so! Long live Sims!

[Due to some kind of glitch, I am unable to insert photos into my signature for some reason.]
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    Okay I will admit it...LOL I was probably one of those people who thought Sims 3 sims didn't have personality and had too many freaking moodlets.

I finally have my Sims 3 game ready to go and loaded it up today. The first thing I thought to myself is wow my Sim has a lot of personality..LMAO She met a random sim. They were attracted to each other. She started flirting with him on her own. I was like WOW this is awesome. Hey I can admit when I am wrong and yeah I was pretty wrong. Maybe I needed Sims 4 to really appreciate the sims in Sims 3.
  • Options
    One of the robotic things I found about TS3 sims is that the animations don’t seem to be as fluid as in TS2. For example sims pause before using stairs, or need to position their legs before sitting. Someone posted great comparison gifs months ago that showed that very well. Another thing is the walk style, it seems a bit odd, and I don’t recall them doing things like in TS2, e.g. doing something with their hands, saying something to themselves every now and then (my shy sims do that), or making a face expression. Sims in TS2 also turn their head and smile when a loved one passes them, and sometimes they look directly at me, like they were saying “I know you’re there”, and it’s a nice touch; I haven’t noticed TS3 sims doing that. But other than that, I wouldn’t call them robotic or wooden in general, they behave accordingly to their traits, react to events, perform appropriate moodlet animations and so on.
    Simblr (my TS2 CC)
    MTS Profile
  • Options
    SimFan298 wrote: »
    Wooden Sims? Yes. Definitely.

Repetitive, shallow gameplay? All Sims games have the same type of gameplay, so I don't get it.

All sims games are the same genre (or at least are supposed to be), but there are significant differences between gameplay of each iterations.
    Simblr (my TS2 CC)
    MTS Profile