Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Interesting answers by SimGuru Grant

Comments

• Options
    MrMonty96MrMonty96 Posts: 1,715 Member
    If we are only getting one EP a year, could they atleast make it the ones we actually want the most... Seasons, Pets, Nightlife, Generations, University .... no more filler expansions cough*GetTogether*cough.

I thought I was the only one that thought Get Together was a filler, it was kind of just "there" with no actual main theme.
  • Options
    lovejess2lovejess2 Posts: 3,049 Member
    MrMonty96 wrote: »
    If we are only getting one EP a year, could they atleast make it the ones we actually want the most... Seasons, Pets, Nightlife, Generations, University .... no more filler expansions cough*GetTogether*cough.

I thought I was the only one that thought Get Together was a filler, it was kind of just "there" with no actual main theme.

Usually the first ep's are filler since they do use some programming and features in future eps. Its also the fact that eps like seasons and pets take alot longer than others so the fact that they show up later is a good thing since I would hate to see those ep's rushed. Sims 3 did a good job with seasons though and it came out towards the end.
  • Options
    Klassickicks22Klassickicks22 Posts: 179 Member
    Why even ask about Toddlers you know you're gonna get the same answer! :D
  • Options
    lovejess2lovejess2 Posts: 3,049 Member

This
  • Options
    sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    Because some people refuse to believe that the SimGurus can not comment on toddlers at this time. So they got to keep on asking about toddlers in hopes to get a straight up answer on them. Which is not going to happen because no SimGuru wants to be fired for commenting on future contents for the game. And that's what toddlers are to them even if the toddlers don't make it in after all. Toddlers are still future contents at this point.
  • Options
    sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    Wulfsimmer wrote: »
    *Sigh* When a mobile game has a fully functional elevator but the pc version doesn't....
    Yeah, that is pretty sad.
  • Options
    Aquarius94Aquarius94 Posts: 505 Member

I was thinking the same thing. Of all the times to ask about toddlers, what made them think they'd get an answer in an interview about this expansion.
  • Options
    iriefthiiriefthi Posts: 1,073 Member
    edited October 2016
    Polyrhythm wrote: »
    IngeJones wrote: »
    I am not picking up on unbridled enthusiasm from the Influencers this time. I think they're expressing "it just stopped short" feelings about many things. People are finding the lack of flexibility in how we can use the features increasingly... can't think of the word. Sort of "Oh."
    Yes, neither SimTimes nor Crinrict are really enthousiastic in their reviews. Everybody is worried about the coming repetitiveness.

And add on top of the repetitiveness, the one-year gap between repetitiveness, so if City Living really is as underwhelming as we think, you gotta wait til next year for another chance at a good expansion. And add onto THAT all the stuff from the interview, it's just insult to injury.

As I said, unless Sims 4 runs until 2021, it's currently set to get less expansion packs than ANY past iteration, Sims 1 included. I highly doubt they plan on running Sims 4 that long, and even if they do...? Even if you LOVE Sims 4, it's hard to imagine wanting it around for that long.
    Given all the topics about Seasons and Pets, I can already see the anger if EP4 isn't either of those...then people have to wait yet another year and hope EP5 will be at least one of them (2018). Those are 2 things I'm certain couldn't fit into a GP.

Why wouldn't a seasons theme fit into an GP?
    I was thinking about it and i think that it could. Maybe the pack will contain 4 seasons only and nothing more in it, just a few clothes and hair i guess. What do you all think?
  • Options
    iriefthiiriefthi Posts: 1,073 Member
    I'm not counting Outdoor Retreat because it was so dull and really nothing more than an overblown stuff pack imo. I do use the stuff in it but I can camp anywhere in the game for as long as I want so I NEVER go to Granite Falls with it's time limits and charges to try and simulate a "vacation" experience. I was really disappointed as I love camping RL and take my son a lot. There's nothing there that I can't have in a park and frankly the secret lot in Oasis or Willow Creek is better done and more attractive. I'm glad you like OR. You're one and Luthrienrising is probably two with EmmaVane being three-lol but seriously I'm glad you like it. For me it was far, far too light to really be a GP and I'll never count it as such. It's just a stuff pack with a park... OH and a bear suit.

Four with me then hahaha

Five with me!!!! :):)
  • Options
    IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    I'm not counting Outdoor Retreat because it was so dull and really nothing more than an overblown stuff pack imo. I do use the stuff in it but I can camp anywhere in the game for as long as I want so I NEVER go to Granite Falls with it's time limits and charges to try and simulate a "vacation" experience. I was really disappointed as I love camping RL and take my son a lot. There's nothing there that I can't have in a park and frankly the secret lot in Oasis or Willow Creek is better done and more attractive. I'm glad you like OR. You're one and Luthrienrising is probably two with EmmaVane being three-lol but seriously I'm glad you like it. For me it was far, far too light to really be a GP and I'll never count it as such. It's just a stuff pack with a park... OH and a bear suit.

Four with me then hahaha

Four then! Send a memo to EA they'll pop the Champagne! That has to be the current record. LOL :p

Nah, no need for champagne! I'm happy enough having the privilege of being satisfied with the game instead of belonging to the frustrated group. Some people come just to complain... I wonder if they have as much fun... Maybe. Anyway, I'm proud of being part of this record! LOL

Yeah, imagine if EA/Maxis had tried as hard to deliver an EP for builders or family players in these past two years as they did story tellers

The thing is, when we had all the flexibility in TS2 to mix and match the different features, like having businesses and ticket machines on home lots, NPCs that would serve behind a counter or chef station no matter what lot you put it on, exchange of inventory items between sims of different families and completely flexible building - we could MAKE our OWN events and challenges and various story themes. Notice I skip back before TS3 because in TS3 it was rather a struggle to get the sims to cooperate with events as they always seemed to dash off to go other places or work etc.
  • Options
    Toadette12Toadette12 Posts: 193 Member
    The fact that we have to wait a whole year for one new EP is pretty ridiculous when in TS3 they were released much closer together, along with SPs and store content. I remember TS3 Supernatural and Seasons were released within 2 months of each other and if you think about it, both of those are pretty big packs. There was just so much more choice of content in TS3.
    TS4_EP04_WebQuiz_04.jpg
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    Toadette12 wrote: »
    The fact that we have to wait a whole year for one new EP is pretty ridiculous when in TS3 they were released much closer together, along with SPs and store content. I remember TS3 Supernatural and Seasons were released within 2 months of each other and if you think about it, both of those are pretty big packs. There was just so much more choice of content in TS3.

I think it is clear that they have neither the budget or the ability to do much with this engine. Everything they are releasing is very superficial. If this game was raking in the dough like TS3, they'd be releasing content at the same rate and overcharging for everything like they did back then. Now they have to give half off to get people to buy these games.
  • Options
    papersuitcasepapersuitcase Posts: 838 Member
    Well, it's only a matter of time until drake closes this thread too. Apparently this article is misleading and does not represent what was exactly said.

I would love to see a transcript of the interview so there are no more miscommunications.
  • Options
    NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    Well, it's only a matter of time until drake closes this thread too. Apparently this article is misleading and does not represent what was exactly said.

I would love to see a transcript of the interview so there are no more miscommunications.

Good luck with that! ;)
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    On the other thread similar to this SimGuruDrake said:

1. This was not a 1:1 interview with Grant, it was a round table interview at the event and the "answers" were the interpretation of statements by the site rather than the full answer that he provided.
    2. Grant's comment was not meant as a slight towards players, it is a simple fact that we have to take into account not only long standing players but newer players when we create content, we cannot just cater to one or the other. So while traveling may not be confusing for some it could be confusing for others.
    3. Budget does not refer to money it refers to man hours. You can only schedule X amount of hours in a day for someone to work on X feature and some features are more beneficial to do than others. I do understand that some of you dislike that elevators aren't animated but that time was spent creating animations and working on features for other aspects of the pack.

So with that in mind I feel that this casts a different light on his answers if indeed this is someone's interpretation and not SimGuruGrants answers word for word when discussing toddlers and the elevators etc.

I also don't understand why people are so quick to criticise the developers because of the length of time it takes to make an expansion. Yes we had expansions very quickly in the Sims 3 but the sad truth is I think that was not a good thing in terms of quality control. I'm sorry to say it but there were some bugs there that perhaps had they had more time could have been handled better.

I do understand people's frustration because the pattern of expansions releases have changed, but personally I'm a quality over quantity type of gal. I play a lot of different games besides the Sims, there isn't any other games I play that get monthly updates and free content. I think the developers can't do right for doing wrong sometimes.
  • Options
    mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    Goldbear86 wrote: »

So with that in mind I feel that this casts a different light on his answers if indeed this is someone's interpretation and not SimGuruGrants answers word for word when discussing toddlers and the elevators etc.

I also don't understand why people are so quick to criticise the developers because of the length of time it takes to make an expansion. Yes we had expansions very quickly in the Sims 3 but the sad truth is I think that was not a good thing in terms of quality control. I'm sorry to say it but there were some bugs there that perhaps had they had more time could have been handled better.

I do understand people's frustration because the pattern of expansions releases have changed, but personally I'm a quality over quantity type of gal. I play a lot of different games besides the Sims, there isn't any other games I play that get monthly updates and free content. I think the developers can't do right for doing wrong sometimes.

thing is, we're getting quantity, not quality. Gender update was half baked, most other updates were limited events and exp boosts. This expansion has many items, very few that actually do anything different. In other words, multiple models of the chair still leave you with just the chair.

They need to either up the production speed or quality.
  • Options
    3PupDLS3PupDLS Posts: 882 Member
    On the other thread similar to this SimGuruDrake said:

1. This was not a 1:1 interview with Grant, it was a round table interview at the event and the "answers" were the interpretation of statements by the site rather than the full answer that he provided.
    2. Grant's comment was not meant as a slight towards players, it is a simple fact that we have to take into account not only long standing players but newer players when we create content, we cannot just cater to one or the other. So while traveling may not be confusing for some it could be confusing for others.
    3. Budget does not refer to money it refers to man hours. You can only schedule X amount of hours in a day for someone to work on X feature and some features are more beneficial to do than others. I do understand that some of you dislike that elevators aren't animated but that time was spent creating animations and working on features for other aspects of the pack.

But Sims 4 is riddled with bugs and low quality also. We can't even get new features that we had in all previous versions because apparently potential new consumers might get confused.

I think people are frustrated and quick to criticize because expansions in the previous versions actually expanded the game and were filled with many more features. They weren't filled with the limitations we get in Sims 4. Seems like all we get now are a few objects and different ways to play with the same content we already have.
  • Options
    ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    edited October 2016
    mirta000 wrote: »

thing is, we're getting quantity, not quality. Gender update was half baked, most other updates were limited events and exp boosts. This expansion has many items, very few that actually do anything different. In other words, multiple models of the chair still leave you with just the chair.

They need to either up the production speed or quality.

*confused* I've never known a chair be more or less than a chair, in reality or the sims. Though if memory serves correctly there was a store one with 3 that was an all singing, all dancing chair. It was still a chair though.

http://store.thesims3.com/productDetail.html?productId=OFB-SIM3:37462&categoryId=13145&section=UpSell

People always want different swatches of the same thing, btw.
  • Options
    Arletta wrote: »
    *confused* I've never known a chair be more or less than a chair, in reality or the sims. Though if memory serves correctly there was a store one with 3 that was an all singing, all dancing chair. It was still a chair though.

http://store.thesims3.com/productDetail.html?productId=OFB-SIM3:37462&categoryId=13145&section=UpSell

yes, store item. Not one of the main features of expansion. Unlike, you know, the talking toilet.
    And it's fine to produce a lot of the same object. However for that we do have stuffpacks. From an expansion pack I always expect more new gameplay elements and features, not recycled old gameplay with lots of object recolours.
  • Options

yes, store item. Not one of the main features of expansion. Unlike, you know, the talking toilet.
    And it's fine to produce a lot of the same object. However for that we do have stuffpacks. From an expansion pack I always expect more new gameplay elements and features, not recycled old gameplay with lots of object recolours.

Why should they not include it in an EP? You expect that. I expect swatches of existing objects. The pack in which they come doesn't matter (to me anyway).

• Options
    Why should they not include it in an EP? You expect that. I expect swatches of existing objects. The pack in which they come doesn't matter (to me anyway).

because I expect more than just recolours for the price of 40$?
  • Options
    edited October 2016

because I expect more than just recolours for the price of 40$?

Did we get recolours of stuff in TS2's EP's? It's a long time ago. I no longer recall.

(I'm supposing I could find a pointless object and/or reskinned in TS3's EP's as well if I were inclined. Not inclined though)