Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Interesting answers by SimGuru Grant

Comments

• Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,924 Member
    mirta000 wrote: »
    Arletta wrote: »
    Why should they not include it in an EP? You expect that. I expect swatches of existing objects. The pack in which they come doesn't matter (to me anyway).

because I expect more than just recolours for the price of 40$?

I thought we were getting some new objects. :|
  • Options
    Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    edited October 2016
    RARAW wrote: »
    "we have to take into account not only long standing players but newer players when we create content, we cannot just cater to one or the other"

This statement of drake...

If this statement of drake is true then why does so many long standing players get bored, complain that there hasn't been much improvement from the past sims game, have left the forums, and feel like their feedback are been ignored?

Why haven't we received any toddlers news when it is the news that many long standing players want to know? Why so many content is still missing or cut compared to the past games? Why must we not have transportation because some players will be confused? Is it really confusing to just make transportation only available through subways, buses and cars? If we really going based of people not knowing how to click an option of a car, a subway or a bus to transport, then there shouldn't be so many food quantity, there shouldn't be so many quests or requirements when been promoted in a job etc cuz you know....it could be confusing. It is just an excuse to not use more time and money. Everything in this game is based of "we had to choose one or the other" like an ultimatum as if this is a game made by a very poor or not so popular company. The expansion doesn't seem so bad, but it could have been better. A year it took to do an expansion and it never occured to them to make a system where you can get another roommate and split the bill. I mean they said they were going for realistic, when they explained why they decided to not make it possible to build an apartment, how could they not think realistically of a having a system where you get roommates and split the bill for example...Lets at least accept the fact that newer players definitely are getting priority.

Anyways, shouldn't long standing players should get the priority in our feedback...since you know...we were here before than the new players and know what worked, didn't worked in the past and what should be improved, taken out, or added?Not only that but we have shown our loyalty and thanks to us there is even a Sims 4...

Exactly this comment long time players do feel ignored well myself at least especially on that touchy topic but also from other topics as well I can't speak for others unless they say it themselves but for the last two years I feel that they catered specifically to the "newer crowd" than the "old" I actually feel that way and I hope I'm not the only one but if I am well OK but that's how I feel.
  • Options
    ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    "we have to take into account not only long standing players but newer players when we create content, we cannot just cater to one or the other"

If this statement of drake is true then why does so many long standing players get bored, complain that there hasn't been much improvement from the past sims game, have left the forums, and feel like their feedback are been ignored?

Why haven't we received any toddlers news when it is the news that many long standing players want to know? Why so many content is still missing or cut compared to the past games? Why must we not have transportation because some players will be confused? Is it really confusing to just make transportation only available through subways, buses and cars? If we really going based of people not knowing how to click an option of a car, a subway or a bus to transport, then there shouldn't be so many food quantity, there shouldn't be so many quests or requirements when been promoted in a job etc cuz you know....it could be confusing. It is just an excuse to not use more time and money. Everything in this game is based of "we had to choose one or the other" like an ultimatum as if this is a game made by a very poor or not so popular company. The expansion doesn't seem so bad, but it could have been better. A year it took to do an expansion and it never occured to them to make a system where you can get another roommate and split the bill. I mean they said they were going for realistic, when they explained why they decided to not make it possible to build an apartment, how could they not think realistically of a having a system where you get roommates and split the bill for example...Lets at least accept the fact that newer players definitely are getting priority.

Anyways, shouldn't long standing players should get the priority in our feedback...since you know...we were here before than the new players and know what worked, didn't worked in the past and what should be improved, taken out, or added?Not only that but we have shown our loyalty and thanks to us there is even a Sims 4...

I'm going to be blunt, but no, long standing players feedback shouldn't get prioritised over somebody who's been playing only a few months. Our money is all the same and our feedback is also. We're all people playing a game and it's not right to say I should have more say than anybody else because I played previous iterations.

• Options
    mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    I'm going to be blunt, but no, long standing players feedback shouldn't get prioritised over somebody who's been playing only a few months. Our money is all the same and our feedback is also. We're all people playing a game and it's not right to say I should have more say than anybody else because I played previous iterations.

when they're saying "new players" what I think they mean is "potential new players", AKA people that never played a sims game. On that note, we all used a metro, or a car, so in a game, once you figure out how to click, you should easily be able to travel using different methods. The statement, no matter whom it was addressed at, is still insulting.
  • Options
    lovejess2lovejess2 Posts: 3,049 Member

THIS

Yeah I'm a long term fan (since 2002) but I don't think my opinion should overide other players. Even if they haven't been with Sims for long they are now so thats all that matters. We all play the game and put money towards it so we all deserve to have an equal opportunity to give feedback.
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    lovejess2 wrote: »

THIS

Yeah I'm a long term fan (since 2002) but I don't think my opinion should overide other players. Even if they haven't been with Sims for long they are now so thats all that matters. We all play the game and put money towards it so we all deserve to have an equal opportunity to give feedback.

Sure...but this new version of the game that people complain about is also going down as the worst version of the game. Not only for longtime fans, but within the whole gaming community.

So whatever...have your say about the game. It doesn't change it either way. Most of the old fans just want the same in-depth gameplay we had in previous games. I think that would be a benefit for everyone.
  • Options
    RARAWRARAW Posts: 863 Member
    edited October 2016

Yes, you got a point and I believe all critiques are valuable.

But I'm going to be blunt as well and say, I been playing since just a child and now I'm an adult, and it is obvious that the new players are been catered more than the old ones. Choosing one or the other is not fair, but EA already picked sides. And in my opinion, if EA is going to pick sides in the first place, I would lean to a player who has been playing sims 1 and supporting money wise the sims since the beginning of the era, over a player that has just played 4 months or even a day ago. Many games have done that actually. That is why the next game usually have more improvements etc, because they listened and improved features added, and removed things that older players gave feedback about.

tumblr_n5dt2fzXjY1s7xoeto1_500.gif
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    Goldbear86 wrote: »
    On the other thread similar to this SimGuruDrake said:

1. This was not a 1:1 interview with Grant, it was a round table interview at the event and the "answers" were the interpretation of statements by the site rather than the full answer that he provided.
    2. Grant's comment was not meant as a slight towards players, it is a simple fact that we have to take into account not only long standing players but newer players when we create content, we cannot just cater to one or the other. So while traveling may not be confusing for some it could be confusing for others.
    3. Budget does not refer to money it refers to man hours. You can only schedule X amount of hours in a day for someone to work on X feature and some features are more beneficial to do than others. I do understand that some of you dislike that elevators aren't animated but that time was spent creating animations and working on features for other aspects of the pack.

So with that in mind I feel that this casts a different light on his answers if indeed this is someone's interpretation and not SimGuruGrants answers word for word when discussing toddlers and the elevators etc.

I also don't understand why people are so quick to criticise the developers because of the length of time it takes to make an expansion. Yes we had expansions very quickly in the Sims 3 but the sad truth is I think that was not a good thing in terms of quality control. I'm sorry to say it but there were some bugs there that perhaps had they had more time could have been handled better.

I do understand people's frustration because the pattern of expansions releases have changed, but personally I'm a quality over quantity type of gal. I play a lot of different games besides the Sims, there isn't any other games I play that get monthly updates and free content. I think the developers can't do right for doing wrong sometimes.

What quality are we getting? This is less than we've gotten before. I mean heck, Seasons had better festivals (more new stuff at the festivals themselves) and still added loads more. We already have mini-reviews from people at the City Living hands-on thing in Cologne who say apartments don't feel much different from housing and festivals don't seem entertaining long-term.

I mean if you want to argue quality vs. quantity, it's a bit hard to make a case Sims 4 has more quality OR quantity when, for example, Sims 3 had elevators that functioned and you could even woohoo in them.

And bugs are inevitable with anything. Don't get me wrong, two of those expansions in particular were inexcusably buggy, but Sims 4 has ridiculous bugs too. With the argument that less development = less bugs, well what the heck let's just skip EPs altogether why don't we? If double the expansions provides double the bugs because we get 5 bugs per expansion (for example) and 5 x 2 = 10, then so be it.

I like how this always gets glossed over. There's not a single bug in Sims 4 that has made it unplayable. And yet I've heard time and time again about how in TS3 the houseboats have to be deleted, worlds have to be rerouted, (or my personal favorite) custom worlds are recommended to be played instead of what comes in the official BG/dlc.

I'd say in terms of quality that TS4 is a step above TS3. And to be honest, I'd say TS3 is more the exception than the rule in this franchise. It was a test of new features, and it failed. If open world and all the rest were as good as so many here like to see through their rose tinted glasses, it would've stayed that way this time around.

And you wanna talk about recycled content? How much of TS2 was brought over to 3? How many animations and whatever else? Because it wasn't 0. :|
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    There wasn't a bug in TS3 that made it unplayable for me...ever and that's with all the EP's and a ton of store stuff.... just sayin @TheGoodOldGamer
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    And you wanna talk about recycled content? How much of TS2 was brought over to 3? How many animations and whatever else? Because it wasn't 0. :|

I take a recycle over no animation. How is teleporting elevators acceptable? If a feature is not ready for an expansion, postpone it, or move it, don't implement something so pathetic that an indie dev could do better.
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member

I take a recycle over no animation. How is teleporting elevators acceptable? If a feature is not ready for an expansion, postpone it, or move it, don't implement something so pathetic that an indie dev could do better.

To be fair, I think a bunch of indie devs are working on this game. Mobile app devs, not simulation programmers.
  • Options

In other words, multiple models of the chair still leave you with just the chair.
  • Options
    NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member

I think that's one of the big problems for those of us who are just not willing to over look the omissions... the lack of animating the elevator didn't come as the pay-off of huge in-depth game play, it just seems to have been not done. The devs say it would have been to expensive (as in work hours) so they decided to do other things... but like what? The console? The bubble blowing machine? These things are so trivial and add next to no long term game play.
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

In other words, multiple models of the chair still leave you with just the chair.

is an elevator the same as stairs? If you look at the previous iterations, no it's not. You can woohoo, die, get stuck in an elevator and travel further in less time. We can't place elevators, they have no animations and we can't even move elevators. How is quality level like this acceptable?

edit: also was your point that if they took out all of recolours, they wouldn't have been able to put out new objects? If yes, then how are they competent at developing games?
  • Options
    sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    edited October 2016
    NZsimm3r wrote: »
    There wasn't a bug in TS3 that made it unplayable for me...ever and that's with all the EP's and a ton of store stuff.... just sayin @TheGoodOldGamer
    It's the same for me with TS3 too. I did have some bugs in TS3, but none of them made it so that I couldn't play the game at all.
  • Options
    sunman502 wrote: »
    It's the same for me with TS3 too. I did have some bugs in TS3, but none of them made it so that I couldn't the game at all.

my biggest beef is World Adventures as I keep on experiencing the "No Quests" glitch T_T. For everything else, I've installed an error trapper and everything runs smooth :)
  • Options
    "Multiple copies of the same animation still leave you with the same animation" was my point. You go on and on about how TS4 content is always recycled and how the devs are lazy and blah blah blah, and yet TS3 copied parts of TS2 outright where as with 4 everything has been done from scratch, from the ground up.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    "Multiple copies of the same animation still leave you with the same animation" was my point. You go on and on about how TS4 content is always recycled and how the devs are lazy and blah blah blah, and yet TS3 copied parts of TS2 outright where as with 4 everything has been done from scratch, from the ground up.

recycled? Not recycled, I went on about it being mostly filled with RECOLOURS. RECOLOURS in an expansion pack. Something you are supposed to pay 40$ for! Heck I wish, I WISH it was recycling content. Because maybe then they'll be able to afford seasons, pets and toddlers.

To add: if I build my own engine and make a bad platformer on it due to "engine limitations", nobody will buy my platformer, no matter how proud I am of my engine. So it's nice that they built it from ground up, but they built an inferior product. And that is all a customer will care about.
  • Options
    sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    sunman502 wrote: »
    It's the same for me with TS3 too. I did have some bugs in TS3, but none of them made it so that I couldn't the game at all.

my biggest beef is World Adventures as I keep on experiencing the "No Quests" glitch T_T. For everything else, I've installed an error trapper and everything runs smooth :)
    The only problem with World Adventures that I had was that the game would temporarily stop for a second or two. Maybe if they had spent a year on it like SimGuruGrant had said about EP's taking a year is the new norm in this latest interview. Then perhaps World Adventures wouldn't have been that way to begin with.
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Why should they not include it in an EP? You expect that. I expect swatches of existing objects. The pack in which they come doesn't matter (to me anyway).

because I expect more than just recolours for the price of 40$?

I thought we were getting some new objects. :|

We are getting new objects. Quite a few of them have already been shown in the stream. 5 new beds and so forth. You could reply to that same post again in a week and link with all the new stuff.

• Options
    DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    edited October 2016

That is not smart business.

I am a customer that has existed since Sims 1. I have made it perfectly clear what I enjoy, and I have been a loyal, paying customer for over ten years. Yes, if you want to sell a product, you should absolutely cater to the crowd that would hype your product, be eager for information about it's release and have little qualms about buying it on release day. "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush," as they say. Why gamble on this potential belief the new customers are somehow better or more numerous when they have an established and reliable fanbase that already catapults the Sims up to being one of their biggest cash cows? If the game offers new customers absolutely nothing, then the game will sell just as consistently and reliably as Sims 3 and Sims 2 did. I got news for you, those sold pretty fantastically. Meanwhile, new customers won't be disappointed as they have no REASON to be disappointed. They didn't know the game, they tried it and they didn't like it. No loss. Why is this such a loss if the game already has a huge supportive fanbase? Why do we absolutely NEED to alter how Sims games play simply in the hopes of attracting this new guy? Why gamble with annoying the older fans JUST to attempt to get new?

No matter how you spin it, it's good business to cater to the established base.....unless:

A.) The established base is shrinking. To my knowledge, we have zero evidence that this was ever the case. It was never a concern as this is one of the best selling franchises around.

B.) In their desire for more profit, they willingly shaft the established players knowing they'll buy anyways, catering the product towards what they think new players want, thus attempting to grab as many as possible in one net. The problem is that long-term the older fans get angry with this and realize what's up, start biting through your net, and come Sims 5...? Your established fans no longer exist, and now your franchise may be in trouble. Why a company would do this? I don't know. Perhaps some overly ambitious worker had their named attached to Sims 4 and wanted this particular title to sell outstandingly in order to jetison their reputation in the company upwards and help them land that promotion. Perhaps some "expert" with graphs and charts told them life simulators will be out of style in another 5 years, so they should cash out on Sims 4 now and not bank much on 5. Who knows, but this is definitely not wise.

I am not saying do not try to reach out to new fans at all or give them stuff too. By all means, it is good business to try and expand your playerbase size. However, it is negligent gambling to become so focused on expanding the playerbase that you are gambling with the one you already have and actively damaging the existing playstyles that existing customers enjoy. They stand to lose everything.

And lastly, can someone please point me to these fictional new players that seem to love all these features no one ever asked for!? Can someone show me where these magical unicorn new players no one has ever seen openly state that they despise toddlers and family play and want young adult content 20 times over?? Everyone I see post here, from the people that love the game to the people that hate it...We all seem to be veteran players that have AT LEAST been playing since Sims 2. Is ANYONE here new? Did anyone start with Sims 4??? Where are all these alleged new guys they attracted with these new plans and goals?

I can't help but feel like that's either a baseless claim that serves as little more than an excuse to justify cutting corners, or some "expert" truly can't figure out that no, 12 year old girls doesn't NEED to be your target demographic if you already have people in their mid 20s and older that are willing to reliably buy your product, so maybe it's time to stop doing test groups with just those people. I'm banking on the former moreso than the latter.

I've said this multiple times:

The problem is not the principle of recycling animations, the problem is the size of the animation pool itself. I do not mind ALL animations from Sims 2 being copied in Sims 3. That's a corner I'd encourage them to cut because it lets them focus time elsewhere. I would've encouraged them to recycle Sims 3 animations to Sims 4 as well.

But Sims 4 has like...5 animations total for socializing. Ask about day, Discuss Fitness Techniques, Get to Know, Wake Up Sim (<---Serious 🐸🐸🐸🐸 to that one recycling this animation), Talk about Grilled Cheese....why do these all have the same animation??? And if that wasn't bad enough, Deep Conversation, Discuss Favorite Artist, Discuss TV show and several others do the same thing with another animation.

By all means, recycle animations. That is not the problem. But when you are recycling one of 5 animations and all social interactions have one of five animations because of the recycling, yes, this is a problem. Stop recycling, make some more. Sims 3 got away with it because it recycled Sims 2's ENTIRE ANIMATION POOL. It was a big pool, which meant Sims 3 got a big pool too, and even added onto it too. Sims 4 is being called out on it because the base game animation pool was lacking, and yet they continue to recycle.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    lovejess2 wrote: »

THIS

Thank you :smile: I am new to the series with this iteration.
  • Options
    alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,407 Member
    Goldbear86 wrote: »
    On the other thread similar to this SimGuruDrake said:

1. This was not a 1:1 interview with Grant, it was a round table interview at the event and the "answers" were the interpretation of statements by the site rather than the full answer that he provided.
    2. Grant's comment was not meant as a slight towards players, it is a simple fact that we have to take into account not only long standing players but newer players when we create content, we cannot just cater to one or the other. So while traveling may not be confusing for some it could be confusing for others.
    3. Budget does not refer to money it refers to man hours. You can only schedule X amount of hours in a day for someone to work on X feature and some features are more beneficial to do than others. I do understand that some of you dislike that elevators aren't animated but that time was spent creating animations and working on features for other aspects of the pack.

So with that in mind I feel that this casts a different light on his answers if indeed this is someone's interpretation and not SimGuruGrants answers word for word when discussing toddlers and the elevators etc.

I also don't understand why people are so quick to criticise the developers because of the length of time it takes to make an expansion. Yes we had expansions very quickly in the Sims 3 but the sad truth is I think that was not a good thing in terms of quality control. I'm sorry to say it but there were some bugs there that perhaps had they had more time could have been handled better.

I do understand people's frustration because the pattern of expansions releases have changed, but personally I'm a quality over quantity type of gal. I play a lot of different games besides the Sims, there isn't any other games I play that get monthly updates and free content. I think the developers can't do right for doing wrong sometimes.
    Unfortunately, despite the long development time the quality control in TS4 is not always better. There have been incredible bugs like the nanny that made you immortal or the invisible child searching for voidcritters. There are also bugs that never get fixed like the eternal camping moodlet or problems with brewing herbalism potions on ovens.

• Options

And lastly, can someone please point me to these fictional new players that seem to love all these features no one ever asked for!? Can someone show me where these magical unicorn new players no one has ever seen openly state that they despise toddlers and family play and want young adult content 20 times over?? Everyone I see post here, from the people that love the game to the people that hate it...We all seem to be veteran players that have AT LEAST been playing since Sims 2. Is ANYONE here new? Did anyone start with Sims 4??? Where are all these alleged new guys they attracted with these new plans and goals?

I can't help but feel like that's either a baseless claim that serves as little more than an excuse to justify cutting corners, or some "expert" truly can't figure out that no, 12 year old girls doesn't NEED to be your target demographic if you already have people in their mid 20s and older that are willing to reliably buy your product, so maybe it's time to stop doing test groups with just those people. I'm banking on the former moreso than the latter.

50,000+ of them are playing on any given day according to the counter on the gallery. Oh, and the baseless claim here is that it's "young adult content 20 times over" when: A. You can skip YA entirely and still play the game just fine, and B. Unlike Kid's Room SP, for example, there has been no YA dlc to speak of, because other than Kid's specific content, every pack and the basegame itself is for every aged Sim you can play as. Might wanna go ahead and throw "partying" into your baseless claim line up too, btw. And while we're at it, let's go ahead and also add "magical unicorn\ fictional\ 12 year old girls" insults to the player base that happens to have a different opinion than you too. ;)

I, for one, do not miss toddlers one iota and I was out of high school when Sims 1 came out. Nor do I miss having to wait entire MINUTES on a stupid cab to pick up my Sims from downtown after dates or whatever just to go through a loading screen anyway. I had to get CC teleporters because guess what? It got me past the same loading screens only faster. Oh! And hey, while I'm at it, let me polish my unicorn horn as I say Supernaturals don't appeal to me in the slightest, and I've asked the gurus directly to include an off switch for them, and possibly for alien abductions as well (which by the way, I'm happy for the nerf on that nonsense too!).

There. Happy now? :|