Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I've defended this EP a lot, BUT...

I can cope with apartments being exclusive to SM, and not being able to edit them. But the fact that elevators are not animated blows my mind a little. scratchhead.gif

Comments

• Options
    keylimepiesimskeylimepiesims Posts: 1,908 Member
    Meh I'm not bothered, if they're tied to apartments and penthouses then what would be the point in animating them? Now if we could use them in our own builds, then it'd be a little strange, but this is one shortcut I can let slip.
  • Options
    ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    It doesn't mine. I'm not saying it isn't disappointing but to me, it makes a sad but strange kind of sense.

I was prepared for the possibility. Somebody thought it with the live broadcast where they called the landlord. With each subsequent one they went out of their way to not show us, which spoke louder that it was more than possible.
  • Options
    taigoesrawrtaigoesrawr Posts: 812 Member
    I was really looking forward to some good ol' fashioned elevator woo hoo. It's just another one of the dreams off my wish list that won't be fulfilled it seems. :expressionless:
  • Options
    Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,167 Member
    edited October 2016
    I wish it was the only thing that annoyed me about this EP... But it's basically the first EP (by the start of TS3) that I'm not going to buy on release...
    Post edited by Omri147 on
  • Options
    KiwicantdieKiwicantdie Posts: 1,305 Member
    I wish they were animated and also that they could be used for, you know, woohoo. It bothered me too.
    But they devs chose to use this EP's budget on something else. There are a lot of new animations, in fact: chopsticks, basketball, game consoles, busking, karaoke, blowing bubbles + sparklers, graffiti. Sad that elevators were not one of those, but I can't really say that we're lacking on animations.
    KEBB11a.png
    Origin ID: Kiwicantdie
    Willow Creek | Evergreen Harbor
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,567 Member
    I am reserving my judgement until I have played the ep as a whole.
  • Options
    MrMonty96MrMonty96 Posts: 1,715 Member
    MissCherie wrote: »
    It's too expensive.

The Sims 4 is on a 29.95 budget. Six dollars have been reserved for a SimGuru to go out to Burger King for lunch which a SimGuru is selected in a childish lottery style picking. So expect dogs to meow and cats to moo cause it was too expensive to give animals the right voice tracks for when The Sims 4: Go To Petco is released. Coming to a PC near you in 2019 as the fourth expansion! Cheers! :)

This made my day! :D
  • Options
    CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member
    It's too expensive.

With all the money they get from rolling out those stuff packs like every week?
    giphy_1.gif
  • Options
    DecafHighDecafHigh Posts: 669 Member
    Ciarassims wrote: »
    It's too expensive.

That was the reason given... to pretty much every question asked yeah. Except the one question where they answered the playerbase is just too dumb to understand having more than one way to travel.
  • Options
    Toadette12Toadette12 Posts: 193 Member
    Ciarassims wrote: »
    It's too expensive.

I agree. Also, I wish they would invest more time in EPs than SPs. I know there are different teams working on EPs and SPs but it's just so frustrating when there are so few EPs yet EA keep churning out stuff pack after stuff pack...
    TS4_EP04_WebQuiz_04.jpg
  • Options
    AlanSimsAlanSims Posts: 714 Member
    edited October 2016
    I have no idea how they will work on The Sims 4 but I hated elevators in TS3. My sim would spend like 2 hours trying to get downstars for work or school and always be late. The less buggy things we get, the better.
  • Options
    SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    Meh I'm not bothered, if they're tied to apartments and penthouses then what would be the point in animating them? Now if we could use them in our own builds, then it'd be a little strange, but this is one shortcut I can let slip.

No offence to you personally, but I don't understand this mindset. What's not the point? There is literally no point in having elevators if all they do is teleport to the next floor. I want to see the Sim entering the elevator, getting out, woohooing in it, falling out of it etc.
  • Options
    SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Well, maybe you will see real ones in the game about the time I get toddlers.

Obviously I'm very upset about toddlers, but it doesn't really relate to elevators.
  • Options
    Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    aaronrulz wrote: »
    one of my favorite things in Sims 3 was when Sims would get the door stuck in the elevator and would fall out of the elevator pushing it open. haha

Heh in TS2 you rolled against instant death everytime you got in one. >:)
  • Options
    sportgal18sportgal18 Posts: 113 Member
    Simanite wrote: »
    No offence to you personally, but I don't understand this mindset. What's not the point? There is literally no point in having elevators if all they do is teleport to the next floor. I want to see the Sim entering the elevator, getting out, woohooing in it, falling out of it etc.

I honestly don't care a ton about whether something is animated in this game or not because I'm probably going to get bored of it within two weeks anyway, but I'm confused as to how much animation work would actually be required for elevators. Couldn't they just copy a lot of the animation from closets (such as Woohooing, stumbling out etc.) and use it for elevators too?

I've never animated anything, so I don't know if that would be impossible, but it just seems to me they could use very similar animations, no? Did they just not feel like doing it?
  • Options
    DecafHighDecafHigh Posts: 669 Member
    sportgal18 wrote: »
    Simanite wrote: »

I honestly don't care a ton about whether something is animated in this game or not because I'm probably going to get bored of it within two weeks anyway, but I'm confused as to how much animation work would actually be required for elevators. Couldn't they just copy a lot of the animation from closets (such as Woohooing, stumbling out etc.) and use it for elevators too?

I've never animated anything, so I don't know if that would be impossible, but it just seems to me they could use very similar animations, no? Did they just not feel like doing it?

They said the development costs were too high to do it right. That seems to be the canned answer for everything.
  • Options
    MarnettiMarnetti Posts: 1,047 Member
    You know, I ask why even bother? Why even bother implementing "elevators"? Why even bother modeling, coding, and texturing them? Since they're not gonna animate? I wonder with the TS4 team sometimes…
    ~I just like lifestates. Is that too much to ask for?~
    tumblr_p4xbgrS3wO1tltr42o1_500.gif
  • Options
    sportgal18sportgal18 Posts: 113 Member
    DecafHigh wrote: »

They said the development costs were too high to do it right. That seems to be the canned answer for everything.

Yeah I don't understand why they decided that should be the canned answer because blaming it on costs still doesn't make sense to me. Do their animators get paid per animation? Because I'd think they'd have animators on staff who get paid a set salary no matter how much they animate per day. That's kind of how most full-time jobs work. And given that this is a city living pack set in high-rise apartment buildings which inherently have elevators (or else residents who are in extremely good shape), I'd think 2-3 elevator animations would kind of be a given. So are they trying to say they don't have full-time animators on staff and that's why we don't get a seemingly simple animation?