Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

So, I Finally Give Up On This Game.

I'm sorry, I gave this game a chance. Bought it on June 17th 2016, gave up October 17th 2016.

So, why did I give up on this game after just 4 months?

Quite simply, it's because I don't have anything left to do. I've tried everything there is to try. The only things I enjoyed were the new face-moulding tools and the retail system in GTW. Everything else was just a checklist of "Click this fruit 5 times, and get an emotional boost".

However, even though that's what eventually drove me to go back to TS3, I'm still not sure what it is that Sims 4 does so badly that it bores me. In fact, no. It doesn't bore me, it just doesn't feel absorbing and fun. It just feels like a mindless time-killer rather than a game. I'm so annoyed though, because I can't put my finger on what the game does so wrong. I've pretty much concluded that there is one thing that kills the experience, but it's just impossible to find. I CAN'T work it out. I've listened to everyone else's reasons, and they're completely right that those reasons kill the quality of the game, but I don't think anyone has yet found what the draining factor is. And I use the word draining because that's exactly what it feels like when I play Sims 4. It feels draining.

Anyway, I'll likely still be active on the forums, but I definitely will no longer be playing Sims 4.

Comments

• Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 36,022 Member
    I understand how you feel. I've felt that way about other games that I felt obligated to play and enjoy after spending money on them. Inevitably it's a big relief to just say I've had enough, I'm done.
  • Options
    Forest_NinjaForest_Ninja Posts: 1,181 Member
    I'm sorry, I gave this game a chance. Bought it on June 17th 2016, gave up October 17th 2016.

So, why did I give up on this game after just 4 months?

Quite simply, it's because I don't have anything left to do. I've tried everything there is to try. The only things I enjoyed were the new face-moulding tools and the retail system in GTW. Everything else was just a checklist of "Click this fruit 5 times, and get an emotional boost".

However, even though that's what eventually drove me to go back to TS3, I'm still not sure what it is that Sims 4 does so badly that it bores me. In fact, no. It doesn't bore me, it just doesn't feel absorbing and fun. It just feels like a mindless time-killer rather than a game. I'm so annoyed though, because I can't put my finger on what the game does so wrong. I've pretty much concluded that there is one thing that kills the experience, but it's just impossible to find. I CAN'T work it out. I've listened to everyone else's reasons, and they're completely right that those reasons kill the quality of the game, but I don't think anyone has yet found what the draining factor is. And I use the word draining because that's exactly what it feels like when I play Sims 4. It feels draining.

Anyway, I'll likely still be active on the forums, but I definitely will no longer be playing Sims 4.

The 'draining factor' has already been described in great detail and you won't be able to discuss the subject within this forum due to the hostility toward intellectual discussion. In general, the problem is that the industry of origin is transforming and there is no longer common interest in the technological initiatives which were the primary sources of inspiration for 'electronic artists' over that past two decades. The problem is industry-wide and you'll see that the volume of content, functionality, and intellectual depth of all entertainment products have been reduced.

The Sims 4 isn't entertaining because there is no longer anything professional to simulate, and no sign of what was once considered human ambition within public media.
    "Video gaming began as an engineer's hobby and a means of creative expression for those of higher technical inclination. It is expected that those who are capable of higher engineering-related achievements will see value, in electronic entertainment products, where others see failure." -Sasquatch
  • Options
    Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    Yes the game can become a rinse and repeat but it's so relaxing after a morning of killing zombies.
  • Options
    VoeilleVoeille Posts: 474 Member
    I suppose there are several reasons for why you don’t enjoy the game, but there is one reason for why it feels draining – you were trying to enjoy it, instead of having fun naturally because you like the game. I think @simgirl1010 said it well.
    “Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
    Pond & Sea Water Overhaul (TS2)
    Simblr (my TS2 CC)
    MTS Profile
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    Voeille wrote: »
    I suppose there are several reasons for why you don’t enjoy the game, but there is one reason for why it feels draining – you were trying to enjoy it, instead of having fun naturally because you like the game. I think @simgirl1010 said it well.
    Do you really feel obligated to enjoy a game just because you bought it? I don't agree with @simgirl1010 about this because I have bought hundreds of games during the years just because they sounded interesting and because it was my only option if I wanted to try them at all. But I never felt any obligation and I just stopped playing them when they weren't interesting anymore and looked for other games to play instead.

For me it was the same with TS4. I bought it and played it for a few months (which is longer than it took me to stop playing many other games). I didn't feel any obligation to enjoy TS4 at all. But I wanted to because I liked especially TS2 and I tried until I gave up because TS4 took way too long time to play without being enjoyable at all. Instead it mainly just felt like a huge waste of time. So I decided to use all that time on something more enjoyable instead.
  • Options
    Erpe wrote: »
    Do you really feel obligated to enjoy a game just because you bought it? I don't agree with @simgirl1010 about this because I have bought hundreds of games during the years just because they sounded interesting and because it was my only option if I wanted to try them at all. But I never felt any obligation and I just stopped playing them when they weren't interesting anymore and looked for other games to play instead.

For me it was the same with TS4. I bought it and played it for a few months (which is longer than it took me to stop playing many other games). I didn't feel any obligation to enjoy TS4 at all. But I wanted to because I liked especially TS2 and I tried until I gave up because TS4 took way too long time to play without being enjoyable at all. Instead it mainly just felt like a huge waste of time. So I decided to use all that time on something more enjoyable instead.

We're all different @Erpe. Maybe feeling obligated is too strong a word to use. I'm an avid reader and feel the same way about books that I purchase. I've purchased books that I looked forward to and then after realizing it was not quite what I thought had to force myself to keep turning the pages, waiting for that spark to kick in before realizing it's not going to happen.
  • Options

We're all different @Erpe. Maybe feeling obligated is too strong a word to use. I'm an avid reader and feel the same way about books that I purchase. I've purchased books that I looked forward to and then after realizing it was not quite what I thought had to force myself to keep turning the pages, waiting for that spark to kick in before realizing it's not going to happen.
    Yes. I can understand that and I think that it is much more common if we buy books (especially novels) because many novels starts up very slowly before they become interesting. But games usually are different. The only exceptions I have met are a couple of RPG games which I tried where the game started inside a castle or in a cellar where the intention was that you should fight your way out of a complicated labyrinth before you could see the landscape outside and play the real game. I hated those games and I never managed to play them long time enough to escape to the outside.

To feel obligated to play a game just because I bought it would be something I only would do if I had very little money and therefore couldn't afford to buy another game instead. But I have fortunately never been in that situation :)
  • Options
    ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member

Yes. I can understand that and I think that it is much more common if we buy books (especially novels) because many novels starts up very slowly before they become interesting. But games usually are different. The only exceptions I have met are a couple of RPG games which I tried where the game started inside a castle or in a cellar where the intention was that you should fight your way out of a complicated labyrinth before you could see the landscape outside and play the real game. I hated those games and I never managed to play them long time enough to escape to the outside.

To feel obligated to play a game just because I bought it would be something I only would do if I had very little money and therefore couldn't afford to buy another game instead. But I have fortunately never been in that situation :)

And some people can't afford.

For me, it largely depends on how much the game cost vs 'obligation'. I once spent more than was sensible on an MMO (for the sake of peace and quiet I won't say what one but it cost somewhere around the £70 mark). Anyhow, I spent the first month (because it was one of the ones that initially were pay to play) trying to like it. I tried so hard, but I'd spent so much money on it that I felt I should play it. I put the hours in but I still couldn't get on with it. There was just something between me and that game that I couldn't get on with. I thought maybe it was just me. The company's forums were full of glee (along with some complaints about bugs and such) and there was me, who couldn't get on with this game. I paid for another month. Still couldn't get on with it. I gave up. I felt because it was such a great wad of money (or more than I ordinarily spend on a game) that I should play.

People do feel obliged sometimes. It happens.

• Options
    Arletta wrote: »

And some people can't afford.

For me, it largely depends on how much the game cost vs 'obligation'. I once spent more than was sensible on an MMO (for the sake of peace and quiet I won't say what one but it cost somewhere around the £70 mark). Anyhow, I spent the first month (because it was one of the ones that initially were pay to play) trying to like it. I tried so hard, but I'd spent so much money on it that I felt I should play it. I put the hours in but I still couldn't get on with it. There was just something between me and that game that I couldn't get on with. I thought maybe it was just me. The company's forums were full of glee (along with some complaints about bugs and such) and there was me, who couldn't get on with this game. I paid for another month. Still couldn't get on with it. I gave up. I felt because it was such a great wad of money (or more than I ordinarily spend on a game) that I should play.

People do feel obliged sometimes. It happens.
    Clearly.

I have always avoided games that need a monthly paid subscription because I fear that otherwise I could come in a situation where I felt obligated to just keep paying and playing because otherwise all the money that I had already paid would just be wasted. So I don't like monthly subscriptions for games at all.

But if I buy a game instead then I know that I always can play it again later if I should become interested in it again. So the money isn't necessarily wasted just because I stop playing such a game.
  • Options

It's not all about the money for me though. I'm feeling the same sense of obligation about the book I'm currently trying to finish by one of my favorite authors that is now overdue and racking up fines at the library. I'm determined to finish it today. :)
  • Options
    For me a monthly subscription definitely wouldn’t work, because I usually play a certain game for some time, leave it for months untouched and play it again when I’m in the mood for it. I started to play more games than I used to fairly recently (2013), and that works for linear games as well – even when I already won the game before, I can play and enjoy it again after some time. A good example would be Cities Skylines, I played it a lot after I got it, but now I’m just not in the mood for it, however I did get a DLC on a recent sale – I know that after some time I’ll feel like playing the game a lot again, so I regard getting that DLC as a good decision.
    Simblr (my TS2 CC)
    MTS Profile
  • Options
    Also I think that people who try to force themselves to enjoy TS4 don’t do that only because they want to avoid the feeling that they wasted their money, it can be also caused by them being attached to the franchise. They found older iterations great, the game became a part of life for some, and seeing how they ruined the franchise with TS4 is disheartening for them, so they try to enjoy the game and convince themselves that the franchise isn’t ruined at all. I prefer to wait for TS5 instead and hope that they’ll mange to bring back the good quality of The Sims. I wouldn’t want the franchise to end with TS4, and leaving a memory of sims being mindless cheaters glued to their phones.
    Simblr (my TS2 CC)
    MTS Profile
  • Options
    SimsophoniqueSimsophonique Posts: 1,410 Member
    edited October 2016
    However, even though that's what eventually drove me to go back to TS3, I'm still not sure what it is that Sims 4 does so badly that it bores me. In fact, no. It doesn't bore me, it just doesn't feel absorbing and fun. It just feels like a mindless time-killer rather than a game. I'm so annoyed though, because I can't put my finger on what the game does so wrong.

Totally my thoughts and it's so frustrating because I am a fan of the sims , there are a lot of good stuffs in the sims 4 like the searching bar, the cas, the moo, you can make an objets bigger, the build mod especially the fact we can move a full room, dine out and the stunning graphics better than in sims 3 my apologizes for saying this, this game is too much empty.I think this game is more a plateform one.People complainted a lot about how heavy and how buggy the sims 3 was , so this time the gurus made it lighter to avoid serious troubles and everybody complains too.
    Plus you can't sell it .The only wise advice I can tell you is wait and see.You can keep it for building and decorating houses and for creating if you know . A lot of players never play the game.They just decorate and create for.
    Follow and read Miss V Detective (ts3 story)
    on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
    Follow me on tumblr (sims only)
    simsophonique.tumblr.com (please no triggers I am autistic asperger)
  • Options
    (...) People complainted a lot about how heavy and how buggy the sims 3 was , so this time the gurus made it lighter to avoid serious troubles and everybody complains too. (...)

They went too far. They put too many limitations into the game, and watered down or completely removed too many things. If it had CASt and terrain tools, I could just create sims and build, especially if I also liked the art style (I don’t, too plastic). But I don’t have tools I want; if I liked the art style only, I could at the very least load the game to stare at it and take screenshots. I’m fine with limitations in TS2 (like no CASt), because I know it’s an old game; I still enjoy building there, because I know I will be playing there with my sims, as I really like TS2 gameplay. TS4 doesn’t have that, so there’s no point in trying to put up with limitations, and it’s even harder to do it while realising that it’s a 2014 game, not a 2004 one, and they just decided to go backwards instead of improve things that were wrong in older games.
    Simblr (my TS2 CC)
    MTS Profile
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member

It's not all about the money for me though. I'm feeling the same sense of obligation about the book I'm currently trying to finish by one of my favorite authors that is now overdue and racking up fines at the library. I'm determined to finish it today. :)
    My husband is like that. No matter how boring the book, he will finish it. I have much less perseverance and this is proven by the fact I once gave up Sims 1 after about five hours of obsessive playing. I loved it and I hated it (the need bars I hated, the rest I loved). This was reason for me - unfortunately - to never touch the game again. Really, I am like that, a professional quitter. But Sims 4 is something else. Because I completely hate to not like it. I really do, I'm grieving in a way. So I keep holding on to it in a - for me - rather unfamiliar way. I was kind of grumpy and bad tempered even because of my experience yesterday evening.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    I am sorry that you are disappointed but you can always go back to TS3 as that has pretty much everything :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited October 2016
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I must admit that after yesterday, when I opened the game to try out the skulls, I'm very near that final decision you have made. Watching a guy in a nightclub talking to absolutely no-one like the next village-plum, all those sims living in their private bubble doing their thing (making the moves but not living it), my sim friendly smiling at a plate with spoiled food.

18-10-16_21-27-26_zpsovodk3q4.png

The power had been cut because she hadn't paid her bills. Did she care? No, not a bit. I discovered myself because the lights wouldn't go on, but my sim was walking around as if nothing was the matter. It's just so irritating for me somehow.

You and me both. I have loaded this game three or four times in the last four months since June. I see what you posted when I do, I see my own Sims grinning as the same in your picture, no matter what happens, and I just turn it off. The video I did recently were not new videos or pictures but from last May and maybe some footage in June. That says I can't find anything to do to even tell a decent story that I haven't already done, six months ago. Unless I want to add pose boxes and hacks to manipulate poses and emotions. The natural flow of the game is so bad there isn't much left for me to capture if even wanted to continue a video story. Let alone actually play the game like I do the others.

It's like a bad penny I keep visiting to see if I can clean it up and make it shiny but it never seems to work and start to shine. ETA: And if I take screen shots, those, bowls, those bowls are more than I can take not just the jack the ripper grins.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.