Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How to spend money?

I'm sure a lot of you have faced the problem of having too much money on the sims. How do you guys spend the money/get rid of it?
I have three sims in the household who keep donating a 1000 simoleons as often as possible. It's not enough though.
One of my sims is working in the scientist profession (earning money) cause I don't wanna lose on the gameplay just cause I have too much money. Although I did have a generation which didn't work at all.
I have about 150 000 which is not the most money but it's not challenging enough.
I'm not much of a builder either and have a suitable home for my simmies. It wouldn't house more sims though. Maybe I'll just add a third floor and get more sims to move in and donate.
So... what do you guys do to spend money? I don't wanna cheat though.
Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)

Comments

• Options
    Inna MinnitInna Minnit Posts: 2,008 Member
    I buy retail lots and build them vacation homes. Just put the cash register in a closet somewhere.
  • Options
    jessathemessajessathemessa Posts: 2,342 Member
    If I want my sims to have less money but not a crazy amount of usable items, I decorate. I love having decorations and clutter around the house. I also like to do a lot of outside decorating and landscaping such as trees and flowers. This can take up a lot of money, but not give your sims a ridiculous amount of items they don't need.

Also, if you want to up the difficulty and get rid of some money, you can buy expensive items like statues and keep them in the household inventory. That will both take away money and cause your bills to go up, but won't take up space.
  • Options
    SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    Also, if you want to up the difficulty and get rid of some money, you can buy expensive items like statues and keep them in the household inventory. That will both take away money and cause your bills to go up, but won't take up space.
    Ooh, that's a great idea.

• Options
    WulfsimmerWulfsimmer Posts: 4,381 Member
    If I want my sims to have less money but not a crazy amount of usable items, I decorate. I love having decorations and clutter around the house. I also like to do a lot of outside decorating and landscaping such as trees and flowers. This can take up a lot of money, but not give your sims a ridiculous amount of items they don't need.

Why would having a statue increase the bill tho? No electricity ir water for that needed :confused:
    Random-gifs-random-18723411-368-312.gif

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • Options
    jessathemessajessathemessa Posts: 2,342 Member
    edited August 2016
    Wulfsimmer wrote: »

Why would having a statue increase the bill tho? No electricity ir water for that needed :confused:

Any item your sims own, in personal inventories, household inventories, or placed on the lot, factor into the bills!
  • Options
    Sim2SporeSim2Spore Posts: 284 Member

In real life it doesn't make a lot of sense, but I like to imagine the bills in the Sims as more than just "utilities" and more along the lines of property tax or mortgage tax.
  • Options
    CorkysPetalsCorkysPetals Posts: 1,400 Member
    Back in the Sims2 days I set up this system of sending teens off to Uni with expensive items. Once they moved would sell the stuff and expand their house, add nice furniture open and fund expensive vacations after exams. And because the way the game was set up, each new group who went to Uni would get to stay at the same house.

In Sims3 and Sims4 I've had to change my approach. Now I'll "adopt" worthy (or cute) sims into a household, let them stay long enough to build some skills, get a job, or until I get bored with them, then I put expensive violins in their inventory and move them out. After that, I can play the sims and help them spend their wealth, or let them visit once in a while.

And I have one family that just opened up their 4th restaurant.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Sim2Spore wrote: »

In real life it doesn't make a lot of sense, but I like to imagine the bills in the Sims as more than just "utilities" and more along the lines of property tax or mortgage tax.

+ contents insurance
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,467 Member
    You could cheat the money away? Imagine your Sims have set up a charitable trust, and once every sim week/month, whatever you prefer, have them "donate" something to their trust?
  • Options
    CementCement Posts: 3,505 Member
    My main house has a steady amount of 850k that neither really increases or decreases. I just always end up there. :/ It's old money that raised several children and 4 generations, so no matter what I do it always ends up around there. xD
    I planned on making a bakery for them as a money sink but I didn't have a lot to build it on :(
    The three elders that live there have shrewd and frugal, and since those traits stack, their house bills aren't expensive and they receive about 33-35k from investments each.
    With all that money, I use it to renovate their house, or I "send money to relatives" who seem to drain their funds way too fast or for when I wanna renovate their house. The latter function is available via MC Command, but you can easily just deduct from one house then add to the other via cheats too.

All I know is that once those three die and I don't give frugal and shrewd to anyone else in that house, it'll be about... The later adult years of the second eldest kid in the house when they'll naturally run out of money so I'll just wait for that to happen LOL
    Hooray for bills and expensive houses!
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    renovations,
    buying upgradeable parts
    that's the thing when i am about to start. When I do this, I build the house in full, which requires cheating.
    and my sim(s) is/are usually broke when it's time to furnish, all they have are necessities. and over time we furnish.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    I bought about twenty of those knight statues and my bills doubled. Yay!
    Thanks.
  • Options
    MarleyTheWizardMarleyTheWizard Posts: 962 Member
    download, make or decorate the house in granite falls and take your entire family + friends on holiday there. both actions makes the rent go up
    I Sometimes Tweet About The Sims 4
    Gallery ID: MarleyTheWizard
  • Options
    Swiftlover13Swiftlover13 Posts: 2,369 Member
    I make an inaccessible basement level and fill it with the most expensive objects in the game.
  • Options
    YungGigiYungGigi Posts: 1,083 Member
    edited August 2016
    I make an inaccessible basement level and fill it with the most expensive objects in the game.

But don't the Sims stand around wanting to go to that level and use the objects anyway?
  • Options
    ChloeDeCookieChloeDeCookie Posts: 2,467 Member
    @YungGigi could be decorative items
    To all you beautiful people out there, have a lovely day.
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    Simpkin wrote: »

Try not to have too many stuff tho cuz it might lag your game. So I suggest buying the most expensive things you can find and buy 3-5 of each or so.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    pigsaymoopigsaymoo Posts: 20 New Member

I did this recently. I was doing a Rags to Riches playthrough, and I found a nice little house in the gallery. Nothing huge. I would say barely larger than your average starter, only 2 levels. Unfurnished it all, had about 40k sitting there, and then went nuts on my lower level. Completely renovated the kitchen, living space and included a little study area. I ran out of money on just those three rooms. Had I been able to finish the master bedroom+en suite+upstairs (2 bedrooms and bathroom), I feel like I would have ended up at 150k+, and then there's landscaping on top of it.

I can sink so much money into clutter and silly decorations and renovations. D:
  • Options
    ShareeSharee Posts: 242 Member
    I wish they gave us options like in the sims 3 to be partners in a business. I too find that i end up with more money than i know what to do with. It would be nice if we could buy another house, where we could travel to and have full control over when we get there.
    It would make big legacies easier for me, then i could have more kids and ship the grandparents or adult children to the other house and go there with my main sim to look over things.
  • Options
    YungGigiYungGigi Posts: 1,083 Member
    Honestly I've never had my sims have so much money that I'm annoyed by it. Only 2 families are millionaires and they got that way by me using the free real estate cheat to move them into certain homes.
  • Options
    MarnettiMarnetti Posts: 1,047 Member
    You could cheat the money away? Imagine your Sims have set up a charitable trust, and once every sim week/month, whatever you prefer, have them "donate" something to their trust?

@Simpkin
    You can also have your sims donate on the conputer a certain amount of simoleons. :)
    ~I just like lifestates. Is that too much to ask for?~
    tumblr_p4xbgrS3wO1tltr42o1_500.gif
  • Options
    can you sign up to a book club and get sent books or was that in a previous game?
    either way, there are some silly expensive books you can get.
    ps. do you have dine out?
  • Options
    DeKay wrote: »
    Simpkin wrote: »

Try not to have too many stuff tho cuz it might lag your game. So I suggest buying the most expensive things you can find and buy 3-5 of each or so.
    I keep the statues in my family inventory :) I'm aware of the lag issue though, I have an old laptop.
    Marnetti wrote: »
    @Simpkin
    You can also have your sims donate on the conputer a certain amount of simoleons. :)
    I do it as often as possible but it's not enough.
    Marley V wrote: »
    can you sign up to a book club and get sent books or was that in a previous game?
    either way, there are some silly expensive books you can get.
    ps. do you have dine out?
    I don't think there's a book club. I do have dine out.

• Options
    eat out a lot, bring guests. if you don't have any sim owned restaurants, edit the menu to the most exclusive stuff.
    I took another family to a restaurant that is sim owned, the prices caught me off guard :o
  • Options
    ParmaViolet87ParmaViolet87 Posts: 1,800 Member
    I wish there was some way to give other Sims money, like parents giving their kids a lump sum to move out and start off on their own.
    giphy.gif
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top