Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Relationship culling is a life ruiner. Please stop this or give it as an option. Srsly.

It's maddening when I go all out and create a full house and age them up day-by-day by hand and I leave for two days and come back to see this.

nw0qqr.png

It's like the start of a psychological thriller.
One day I just woke up....
And the people I knew as my family....
I didn't know anymore.

I just don't remember them. I know my name but..yet...I don't have any memories.

It's maddening...
I'm not even a complainer but this is getting to be a deal breaker for me.

Comments

• Options
    mpatty02mpatty02 Posts: 480 Member
    I don't know that this is an exact answer as I'm a noob in the MOD department. I also don't know how you feel about mods? I wasn't keen on the idea up until recently. I downloaded the MCC mod, because my game was NEVER repopulating and my neighborhoods were barren. I'm fairly certain that you can turn off culling with this mod altogether? I wouldn't be the best person to get answers from, but maybe try researching into it if you're interested?
  • Options
    MoonCrossWarrior22MoonCrossWarrior22 Posts: 719 Member
    yea that's why I don't play vanilla anymore is because of the culling issue; sooo I apply the MC mod to disable it and apply story progression onto it.
    If you are interested in challenges; check out the Reincarnation challenge right at this link! here! | If you want spectator mode; go to this link. (for sims 3) here
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    That's relationship decay, not relationship culling. Relationships have decayed to nothing/zero.

Relationship culling is when their images disappear from the relationship panel and you have to reintroduce your sim.
  • Options
    PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    Yeah this seriously needs to be fixed, both relationship decay and relationship culling. Apparently they were looking into changing how quickly it happens, but nothing yet.
    They keep saying "performance, relationships take up a lot of space, etc" which just tells me the game can't handle relationships :|
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
  • Options
    lmkiturelmkiture Posts: 1,206 Member
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    That's relationship decay, not relationship culling. Relationships have decayed to nothing/zero.

Relationship culling is when their images disappear from the relationship panel and you have to reintroduce your sim.

Either way it's still a problem.

I'm was never into mods but even I turned to MC Commander. You might want to try it out. Hopefully the problem will be adjusted so we don't have to turn to mods.
  • Options
    mpatty02mpatty02 Posts: 480 Member
    yea that's why I don't play vanilla anymore is because of the culling issue; sooo I apply the MC mod to disable it and apply story progression onto it.

Agreed! So much agreement! LOL
  • Options
    meuamourmeuamour Posts: 117 Member

I meant both but use that interchangeably.
    My family also has friends throughout their life.
    All that disappears too.
  • Options
    JagwithtudeJagwithtude Posts: 1,452 Member
    meuamour wrote: »
    It's maddening when I go all out and create a full house and age them up day-by-day by hand and I leave for two days and come back to see this.

nw0qqr.png

It's like the start of a psychological thriller.
    One day I just woke up....
    And the people I knew as my family....
    I didn't know anymore.

I just don't remember them. I know my name but..yet...I don't have any memories.

It's maddening...
    I'm not even a complainer but this is getting to be a deal breaker for me.

I see someone suggested MCCC (MC Command Center) to you, good call :) I have been using this mod for a long time and it works great, this is not to push you into anything as it is your game and game play, If you are interested in learning about it or other mods please pop on over
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/837115/need-help-with-mc-command-center-settings-ask-here/p1 and ask any and all questions you have as EG and others would be more then happy to answer them for you.
    "If you could read my mind, I'm pretty sure you'd be traumatized for life"

Join us on Discord for help with MC Command Center @ Discord https://discord.gg/TKp3GqE
    The latest version of MCCC 3.9.6 go to https://www.patreon.com/posts/mc-command-3-9-6-15332977

Rrkznuy.jpg?4

• Options
    edited July 2016
    mpatty02 wrote: »
    I don't know that this is an exact answer as I'm a noob in the MOD department. I also don't know how you feel about mods? I wasn't keen on the idea up until recently. I downloaded the MCC mod, because my game was NEVER repopulating and my neighborhoods were barren. I'm fairly certain that you can turn off culling with this mod altogether? I wouldn't be the best person to get answers from, but maybe try researching into it if you're interested?

I got rid of them all but yeah I already tried/used that Command Center thing but that was a hassle itself.
    I really just want the game to be where it has been in the past for me where it was the only mods I used were clothes.
    I don't like the need to depend on it nor the maintenance just to keep them.
    But thank you I appreciate your attempt to help/advise me.

• Options
    coldplay2233coldplay2233 Posts: 451 Member
    welcome to the mad house
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Polyrhythm wrote: »
    Yeah this seriously needs to be fixed, both relationship decay and relationship culling. Apparently they were looking into changing how quickly it happens, but nothing yet.
    They keep saying "performance, relationships take up a lot of space, etc" which just tells me the game can't handle relationships :|

Really? I never thought to interpret it like that.

I always found it odd how they keep trying to express the priority for lower-end computers to run this game when really it's not that serious.
    They have other spin-off games that people can play already so I see it as shouldn't that take care of those gamers?

People who have been playing the Sim/have played it in the past know what the deal is going in buying a Sims game.
    Build or buy them big & strong for the add-ons. People are more than willing to buy&build computers JUST to run the Sims.
    We are more than willing to spend big cash on them or there wouldn't be business.
    I don't understand the idea of making everyone suffer just to cast a wider net.
  • Options
    nakibotnakibot Posts: 176 Member
    Just when I was finally getting into the game, I discovered this. I tried if I could tolerate it but it deducted from the fun so I had no choice but to use mods.
  • Options
    rodneyclintrodneyclint Posts: 496 Member
    For now you could also cheat and give your Sim the Beloved trait which means that particular Sim's relationships won't decay. It only works for one Sim per household tho.
  • Options
    IfreshyehIfreshyeh Posts: 1,403 Member
    For now you could also cheat and give your Sim the Beloved trait which means that particular Sim's relationships won't decay. It only works for one Sim per household tho.

I'm pretty sure the Beloved trait is broken and has been broken for quite a while now?
    I haven't played in a while bc of relationship decay and culling amongst other things but I'm not sure about this. If anyone could correct me, let me know own if the Beloved trait is working.
  • Options
    slimpotatoeslimpotatoe Posts: 11 New Member
    I have never been great at maintaining relationships in the Sims. In Sims3, I used the long distance friend lifetime reward which was really helpful. But yeah. I might have to look into this MCC mod as well since I hate having to rbuild relationships constantly.
  • Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    Relationship decay is the amount the relationship bars drop over time. Relationship culling is when the bar levels drop to a certain point, the relation is removed altogether and the sim will disappear from the relationship panel.

If you do want to mod it out, I did this for another poster.

Quick and dirty modding guide for MCCC:

Get mod files from here - http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=551680
    Unpack/unzip - don't know what this means - ask
    Put all files into - C:\Users\UserName\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\Mods

Go into Game Options
    Select Other
    Put tick in box: Enable Custom Content and Mods
    Put tick in box: Script Mods Allowed
    Click Apply
    Restart game
    Play

In the game, MCCC options can be selected by clicking on ingame computers, sims and the mail box.

There is a dedicated thread for supporting this mod - just ask any questions here. No such thing as a dumb question there:

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/837115/need-help-with-mc-command-center-settings-ask-here/p1

Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member

I've had both. Fun times.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    To be honest, I kinda like the relationship culling, for sims my active doesn't know well. There must be a limit under which the game stops the decay though, like if you get the friend status. I also fail to understand how calculating the decay for inactive sims help performance compared to freezing them.
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    SiliClone wrote: »
    To be honest, I kinda like the relationship culling, for sims my active doesn't know well. There must be a limit under which the game stops the decay though, like if you get the friend status. I also fail to understand how calculating the decay for inactive sims help performance compared to freezing them.

When the culling first appeared I had a Sim with a large group of different levels of friendship. He also had a fiance. The next time I played him the entire panel was blank. So much for quite a few accumulated hours of game play.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    I have never modded my game before. Last weekend after a severe hit in relationships for one of my main sims I went ahead and modded my game.

The mod I use is:
    http://modthesims.info/d/534925

There are two possible versions. The one with zero decay which is broken and the one that you have to set your own nr which works just fine. Just one small mod that does the trick :)
  • Options
    DivineHysteriaDivineHysteria Posts: 732 Member
    They really need to fix this.
    xo0yscju
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,342 Member
    Polyrhythm wrote: »

I'm not so sure about this. I play Sims 4 on a better potatoe, a six year old laptop that's optimized for browsing, but that can tolerate the occasional game. So I believe I SHOULD notice the oh-so feared performance drop. Only I don't. Earlier this year I was playing around 220 sims in rotation with both culling and relationship culling eliminated (thanks to McCommand, naturally). It didn't slow anything down. What caused the game to lag was the 500 MB winter mod in combination with Get together, so I pulled that mod and everything ran fine again. Free will is another factor that can cause lag for me, but only when I go over the 8-sim-household limit, which isn't supposed to happen in vanilla gameplay.
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    I absolutely hate that this issue has ruined my play style. I can't play rotational any more and drop in on all my households. And I've tried playing a single household and I can't do that because, for me, I find it really boring.

Every time I want to play, I just think about it and decide not to any more.
  • Options
    surraaaaaasurraaaaaa Posts: 859 Member
    I agree, relationship decay and culling don't need to be, and shouldn't, have been added in the game. I'm so tired of constantly having to reintroduce my sims to their friends and neighbors.
    For me, the decay isn't a HUGE problem, as long as I can invite whoever over and chat for a bit. But with culling on top of it, how can that even be possible??
    And I know im not the OP, and its very nice to suggest mods to help with the issue but I refuse to download mods to fix a problem that should be fixed by the developers. And I'm honestly so tired of mods being a sort of fall back for developers, "people have a problem? don't worry, modders can handle it! Not like we get paid to fix things and make a playable game" They brought it in, they can take it out.
    (I'm also computerly challenged, so I wouldn't download mods or cc anyway)
    We've had.... I think 2 patches since the decay was introduced... And culling came in December right? Any word on this getting fixed besides the "low end computer, performance" nonsense?
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    SiliClone wrote: »

I'm okay with that if they're acquaintances and haven't been in contact for a loooong time. But not if they just met or are schoolmates or workmates or clubmates or lived together at some time or were close friends or lovers or enemies once upon a time. My Sims should remember those Sims a lot longer, especially if they were close.

Just a personal illustration: I remember only three classmates from when I was in grade 3 (I changed schools later), back in the '70s: the one who was my close friend for about the next 6 or 7 years (and died a few years ago), the one whose house I went to for lunch every day (my mom had a job, the school had no lunch options), and the one who owned a macaw or parrot and an Easy Bake oven and I used to go to his house to play after school sometimes. I've forgotten the rest, and that's okay, but the first? I hope I don't ever forget her.

So, how would that work in Sims? There's a degree of relationship decay and culling that I could live with when I'm playing in rotation - but only if I have aging on, and it would have to be pretty nuanced. If I'm playing with aging off, I'm choosing a world that isn't passing through time in the same way. There should be no decay for nonactive Sims when aging is off, only for active Sims.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.