Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA silence on family play and family play fans

Comments

• Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    @elanorbreton. I can relate to that. I couldn't get back to TS2 when I got TS3 freedom with the open worlds, even though I loved TS2. What is the things in TS4 that makes you feel that TS3 was kind of spoilt?

I'm curious about that too. I was also never able to go back to TS2 after experiencing TS3. I was so disappointed with 4 that it took me months after it came out to get back into TS3 but after I did, I loved it even more than before. Like I've said before, I've had my share of complaints about the game over the years but after seeing how TS4 turned out I felt it looked and played like a masterpiece of fun, ambitious effort in comparison. And at least I have all of my age stages.

Makes me want to quit trying to even play TS4 in fear of it somehow eventually destroying my love of TS3. Because then I'll have no sims game to play at all, because I doubt that TS4 is *ever* going to cut it for me.

@Simanite I completely understand how you feel because that's how I've always played the sims also. It's almost always revolved around sims finding love and having a family, and they've pretty much wrecked that for me in 4. I know some people play families in this game and like them but for me it's just grossly inadequate and there isn't any improvements in this game that make up for that as far as I'm concerned. I don't especially even like the emotions system and sadly that and multi-tasking is where their time was spent in this game. Oh yeah, and on those silly walks that I could easily live without.

Ugh. Now I'm feeling angry again. Alternately angry and sad. Never would I have thought that the only game that I've ever loved would bring me to this. It's just all part of the grieving process I guess. Goodbyes are hard!

The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    edited June 2016
    @HappySimmer3 I doubt that TS4 would kill your love for TS3. Comparing them is like comparing a day out at Disney Land to a day out at somewhere less exciting (maybe) B)

Post edited by king_of_simcity7 on
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    @elanorbreton. I can relate to that. I couldn't get back to TS2 when I got TS3 freedom with the open worlds, even though I loved TS2. What is the things in TS4 that makes you feel that TS3 was kind of spoilt?
    Well, mainly I love the physical aspects of the sims themselves - the way they look is more diverse and the way they move is more natural. I can still remember when I moved up to TS3 from TS2 and I thought 'OMG, what have they done to the way sims move?!' I got used to it in the end, but now I can see that again.
    I actually really like the art style of TS4, it is more crisp and modern. I do still like TS3 graphics as they are very detailed, but somehow they seem a bit out of date to me now. I also get bugged by the slow loading of textures in TS3, objects are often grey and it takes a while for the textures to load.
    I love the kids! They are so cute in TS4 and have some gorgeous outfits.
    I love that sims will autonomously interact with each other, chat and hug. I am terrible for keeping up relationships in a game and TS4 helps me along with that.
    I adore the gallery and just being able to plop down a house, then think 'nah, I don't like that one' and then immediately plop down another in its place.
    Pregnancy in TS4 is awesome, being allowed to wear any clothing.
    And I love most of the multi-tasking (some of them are annoying, but a lot of them are great).

There are probably a lot of little things too that I can't think of off-hand, I just know that when I get back into a TS3 game I'm kind of disappointed, in the same way as I was when I went back to TS2 and it had things missing from TS3.
  • Options
    simIrrevirresimIrrevirre Posts: 763 Member
    @elanorbreton Thanks for the reply :) I guess one major key is you have to like the art style to be able to appreciate this game. I love cartoony in adventure games for example, so I'm not sure why this style is putting me off so much.
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    @king_of_simcity7 can you please edit that post please? It's likely to upset people and I don't think you want that. Thank you.
  • Options
    @sparkfairy1 Changed it! B)
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    MikiMiki Posts: 1,692 Member
    edited June 2016
    May appear to be off-topic at the start but I intend to tie it all together by the end of this post.

I actually had a couple drafts and pared it down to this. ;)

Family Play fans and others alike would love to see stuff like the return of Tots, Generations, Pets, and even weather but I had forgotten until a recent play session that I don't think we can trust EA to not plum it up, even if they were inclined to deliver such game-restoring content.

They cannot, will not or can't find the time to fix something as simple as Sim reaction to death in a game whose selling points included a vastly improved CAS (even without the color wheel!) and emotions.

Today's glaring example:

Sim is overtired.

Sim has "bed" icon in her queue.

Sim is, unfortunately at a hotel lounge with a pool. Instead of going upstairs to bed she decides to take a nap in the pool, sinks like a stone and bites the dust.

Her friends come to the pool side. Some mourning (what I would expect) while her other friends decided it would be neat to swim in a pool with their dead friend's body still hovering over the bottom.

the reaper takes his time showing up it seems

This broken "death reaction" is not new but with the failure to address it all the while patches, stuff packs and so-forth come out-- just has "Sloppy" written all over it.

This and the other glitches, oversights, unintended programming side-effects, (for lack of a better expression)-- would be carried into anything else they come up with.

It's like adding a floor or something to your house -- without paying attention to your cracked foundation. The trouble multiplies and as we all know, plum floats downhill.

Speaking for myself, I wouldn't want any of these wonderful (potential) additions until they fix what's wrong at the core, and for that I shan't hold my breath because then the real Reaper will be coming for me!!

This is no way to run the railroad.

I'd really love to ask The Drakester if they have anything in the works about these defects, but of late she's kinda been taking it on the digital chin so I'll wait a bit, unless anyone knows if they mentioned a plan to clean up the programming mess already.

EDIT: Plum is plum.. No Worries! "Ain't Misbehavin'!" I wrote the word "plum" in deliberately.

• Options
    SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    Thanks to everyone for the replies, it's great to know other people understand, both who have played the game and who haven't. :heart:

I think liking something is subjective, some people might love the new Sims or graphics while others might hate them, but what we can all agree on is that we should be offered the oppertunity to play in the style we've grown attached to for the past decade.
  • Options
    MikiMiki Posts: 1,692 Member
    Simanite wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone for the replies, it's great to know other people understand, both who have played the game and who haven't. :heart:

I think liking something is subjective, some people might love the new Sims or graphics while others might hate them, but what we can all agree on is that we should be offered the oppertunity to play in the style we've grown attached to for the past decade.

I feel the same way. it's about personal choice and of course by way of "2 posts up" I felt constrained to point out that we should all get a game that works correctly.
    Yes with technology comes bugs but some of the more glaring deficiencies ought not be allowed to remain and contaminate additional work further down the line.

Just looking at the bug thread for Dine Out and, even for those who play vanilla, without so much as a single CC thread of clothing, let's say-- issues that pre-existed its installation have found their way into gameplay with that package.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    @king_of_simcity7 can you please edit that post please? It's likely to upset people and I don't think you want that. Thank you.
    Thanks @sparkfairy1 I had to bite my tongue to ignore that comment. Didn't want to say anything harsh in your lovely thread ;)

So, it's kiddie day today! Sadly I have to get ready and go to work, so I have a good many hours to wait before I can treat my young ones to some new stuff.
  • Options
    coldplay2233coldplay2233 Posts: 451 Member
    I want the kids pack too, but I'm going to wait until we at least see what teaser we get in July. If it's another let down, I'll have made the right decision to wait it out.
  • Options
    christinebremnerchristinebremner Posts: 3,513 Member
    Hello everyone! :) I am just popping into see how you all are, and still here to support this worthy cause!
    My computer has literally been without internet connection and today I my new cable came and I am back online, it feels really great to be able to surf the net again! :smile:

I did buy the Sims 4 when it was on special here for like $23 (its usually $90) and had a good go of it, and play it every now and then. I went there and let my sims have a baby and when it was time for the baby to age up I couldn't watch I had to look away!! lol :blush:
    I must admit the children are really well done, but that stage of toddler is so absent its felt as soon as sims start to have a family.

FEvr1sR.gif
  • Options
    To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    @HappySimmer3 I doubt that TS4 would kill your love for TS3. Comparing them is like comparing a day out at Disney Land to a day out at somewhere less exciting (maybe) B)

TS4 has killed my love for this game in general.

--T
  • Options
    To7m wrote: »

--T

Sorry to hear that

:disappointed:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    edited June 2016

--T

I can understand that. I'm going to try 3 again soon though and see if it feels better. The thing is...there are a few things in 4 that I'd miss in 3. I adore CAS with the hats/hair thing, the walks, the ease of changing a face or body and now the unisex patch....but that's about it. I guess for actual immersive play 2 is still my favorite. TS3 comes in second and 4....well.
    Post edited by PHOEBESMOM601 on
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

--T

Yes, I'm like a woman without a game. Like a man without a country. :/
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

--T

Yes, I'm like a woman without a game. Like a man without a country. :/

I still play Sims 3 but darn, I'm bored. I want to move on. I want new towns and new stuff and new EP/SPs. New gameplay. Darn!

• Options

--T

I can understand that. I'm going to try 3 again soon though and see if it feels better. The thing is...there are a few things in 4 that I'd miss in 3. I adore CAS with the hats/hair thing, the walks, the ease of changing a face or body and now the unisex patch....but that's about it. I guess for actual immersive play 2 is still my favorite. TS3 comes in second and 4....well.

It is a shame that you can not borrow the CAS from TS4 and add it to TS3 even though I do like the TS3 Sims :smile:

Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    clover24clover24 Posts: 887 Member
    @king_of_simcity7 I don't mind sims 3 cas. For me is the little, teeny weeny things that I find annoying when I play s3. Like when I have a sim writing a book on the computer, iN s4 they can still interact but in s3 they can't. And the same with the painting. I love my creative sims and in s4 I find the process of building us those skills and earning a living a much more simple task then in s3, because of that interaction. The love the style of both s3 and s4 so that's not an issue either way, I admit the stretching and pulling is fun. If they had a sims 3 with the tiny things included and the lifestages from s2 I would be a very happy woman.... oh and what ever style as long as the graphics are good. I'm not asking much honest ;)
  • Options
    nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    I don't like Sims 4 sims, they look stretched out, elongated. That and the lego hair. Not for me.
  • Options
    Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    edited June 2016
    heres one example of what I miss as far as family:

xeexpj.jpgv33ddz.jpg9gxzmf.jpg as you can see my sims teen got in trouble quite a bit in TS3. he'd be out past curfew, snuck out and egged someones house and got caught. I want TS4 teens to not only be able to be grounded and disciplined but to also have the option of well being a teen like pranks and get in trouble line normal teenagers.

Edited for typos.... I was trying to put the word "As" not the other word bahahahahahah
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Options
    HIFreeBirdIHHIFreeBirdIH Posts: 1,410 Member
    I do sort of miss the curfew system from TS3, but I do wish there was an option for a Sim to call their parents and tell them they're staying at a friend's house overnight, because I don't remember one at least. It got sort of ridiculous that the game told my teen don't get caught and then 10 seconds later the cops find them even though there was nobody even near them who would even call the police, and that my Sim didn't even go outside. If they made Sim cops "patrol the town" after curfew and you could hide inside or in bushes and stuff, it would've felt a bit more tense for them, rather than knowing you'll get picked up after a few moments.
    Just some random Simmer you probably don't even follow on the gallery! Gallery name's the same as my username! Did I just rhyme there?
    xyIcMqt.png
  • Options
    Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    edited June 2016
    I do sort of miss the curfew system from TS3, but I do wish there was an option for a Sim to call their parents and tell them they're staying at a friend's house overnight, because I don't remember one at least. It got sort of ridiculous that the game told my teen don't get caught and then 10 seconds later the cops find them even though there was nobody even near them who would even call the police, and that my Sim didn't even go outside. If they made Sim cops "patrol the town" after curfew and you could hide inside or in bushes and stuff, it would've felt a bit more tense for them, rather than knowing you'll get picked up after a few moments.

And you are totally right! My teen got all the way home (after hearing the sirens) to go all the way back to be taken BACK home by the cop and in trouble by his parents another flaw was he was out getting drivers training by his,mother and got caught out after curfew and got in trouble by his mother who was with him but hapoen to leave him out and head home without him. I was like seriously?! Poor kid kept getting grounded one after the other. I think he was grounded for like a week lol

Edited: my phone is on something lol
    Post edited by Noree_Doree on
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member
    I miss the curfew in sims 3 they were well more realistic . And gave it more of a town vibe . The vibe I really miss much in sims 4 right now.
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member
    Honestly teens not having curfews is bad enoiugh . But kids no having curphews at all is jut beyond silly . Than again I really dislike how the kids can do a lot of grown up stuff .Like going to a bar, and getting in a hot tiub.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top