The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Upcoming Forum Changes Feedback Thread

Comments

• Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    I am happy with the forum changes as they are keeping the TS3 GD and only merging some sections as we do not need them anymore which is understandable.

I don't see the need of having separate Stuff Pack pages as after they are released there is never much discussion of them after a few days once players have settled with them.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,613 Member
    These forums seem so much quieter than back in the days when TS3 was in full swing. They probably don't need so many sections cos there is much less chat.

To me, that speaks volumes about the game.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,919 Member
    edited June 2016
    It looks to be a good change but time will tell. At present, you have to go to your profile page sometimes to see where your comment or thread has landed up when it looks deleted from the Category you originally put it in.

I'm all for the complete merging of the British and USA/Canada threads as we all tend to use the US forums anyway to get into the lively debates.

The Technical section should remain as it is for PC/Mac/laptop help but maybe a section just labelled "Game crash help". With a few rules on how to ask properly All those helpful Simmers trying to help those who neglect to say that they are using mods first! (even Pirate copies)!
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 36,309 Member
    These forums seem so much quieter than back in the days when TS3 was in full swing. They probably don't need so many sections cos there is much less chat.

Well there are two possibilities. People are playing more and posting less or people are playing less therefore leading to less posting. For me it's the first but like most discussions on this forum what you believe is probably influenced by how you feel about the game.
  • Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    edited June 2016
    If they're putting all EPs together in their own section, and all GPs together in their own section, I don't get why they're not putting all SPs together in their own section, instead of merging them in with general discussion. I think general discussion is gonna get a bit cluttered.

edit: spelling
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • Options
    SkobeeSkobee Posts: 2,864 Member

.. No. That's not it. When we want to post something we often don't know where to post it, since there are so many topics to choose from, they just decided to make it simpler for us. Lmao, just because they're changing the forums, doesn't mean Sims 4 isn't doing well.

People really can't take it that Sims 4 is a nice game for some people, they're changing the entirety of the forums, not just the Sims 4 topics.
    Origin ID - RosyAngelina
  • Options
    I think it all comes down to exposure. There are some who rarely visit the stuff pack section if they're not purchasing them. I have them all and even I rarely visit those sections. This will be an opportunity for players who regularly visit GD to see what they're missing and possibly convince them to buy.
  • Options
    3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    edited June 2016

Well there are two possibilities. People are playing more and posting less or people are playing less therefore leading to less posting. For me it's the first but like most discussions on this forum what you believe is probably influenced by how you feel about the game.

Well there's also the fact that people in general visit forums less. Especially younger people who missed the heday of forum use on the internet. They're much more likely to go to Twitter or Tumblr to discuss the game then join the official forum and post here unless they're having a technical issue with the game and are directed to a topic here via google (I admit that's how I initally discovered the forum myself).

That this forum still gets the traffic it does is actually pretty surprising to me. I have seen other forums that used to incredibly popular 5-10 years ago that have dried up into ghost towns or disappeared altogether.
    ~ ~ ~
  • Options
    3KNPen wrote: »

Well there's also the fact that people in general visit forums less. Especially younger people who missed the heday of forum use on the internet. They're much more likely to go to Twitter or Tumblr to discuss the game then join the official forum and post here unless they're having a technical issue with the game and are directed to a topic here via google (I admit that's how I initally discovered the forum myself).

That this forum still gets the traffic does is actually pretty surprising to me. I have seen other forums that used to incredibly popular 5-10 years ago that have dried up into ghost towns or disappeared altogether.

Oh yeah. I forgot about that possibility. I rarely tweet but I do follow all the gurus and a few simmers that also post here. Then there's also Facebook.
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    edited June 2016
    I think it all comes down to exposure. There are some who rarely visit the stuff pack section if they're not purchasing them. I have them all and even I rarely visit those sections. This will be an opportunity for players who regularly visit GD to see what they're missing and possibly convince them to buy.

I think you're right, SimGuruGraham said in one of the Kids Room topic that he was moving it back to the General Discussion to give the pack a bit more visibility outside of the Stuff Pack sub-forum (quote below).
    I'm just moving this post back to the General forum so that there's a thread for those who don't normally visit the Stuff Pack sub-forum to discuss today's announcement of Kids Room Stuff.
    Post edited by Neia on
  • Options
    PalmArrowPalmArrow Posts: 4,329 Member
    I agree with everything @mastressalita wrote about bringing the storytelling communities together. I have probably missed on many great story threads in the Sims 4 and Sims 2 sections because the Sims 3 section is the one I use. When I want to read an enjoyable story, the game version is not important. (And, @mastressalita , your index thread and your Reading Roundup have been very helpful because I got interested in some stories I would otherwise have missed!)
    However, if I want to download a house, the exact version of the game is very important, as @Pary said. Sims 2 and Sims 4 houses would be of no use to me. I hope that, within the new Creative Corner section, some forms of creativity will still be separated for easier use!
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Neia wrote: »

I think you're right, SimGuruGraham said in one of the Kids Room topic that he was moving it back to the General Discussion to give the pack a bit more visibilitity outside of the Stuff Pack sub-forum (quote below).
    I'm just moving this post back to the General forum so that there's a thread for those who don't normally visit the Stuff Pack sub-forum to discuss today's announcement of Kids Room Stuff.

I saw that too.. I guess he answered that question ;). The stuff pack excitement doesn't last that all that long but it's more like right now news.
    In my opinion so is the release of anything new for the game, but I can see why EP's and GP's need to keep a separate space.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    Hermitgirl wrote: »

I think you're right, SimGuruGraham said in one of the Kids Room topic that he was moving it back to the General Discussion to give the pack a bit more visibilitity outside of the Stuff Pack sub-forum (quote below).

I saw that too.. I guess he answered that question ;). The stuff pack excitement doesn't last that all that long but it's more like right now news.
    In my opinion so is the release of anything new for the game, but I can see why EP's and GP's need to keep a separate space.

I think one topic to discuss the "announcement" of any EP or GP in general discussion would be great too, with the dedicated sub forum to talk about further details, exchange about gameplay ideas, etc.
  • Options
    It could also be a tactic to try and suppress some of the negative threads that pop up. With discussion of 6 stuff packs, soon to be 7, I can't see any thread lasting too long on the first page. Other than the Happy Play thread of course. :p
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    edited June 2016
    It could also be a tactic to try and suppress some of the negative threads that pop up. With discussion of 6 stuff packs, soon to be 7, I can't see any thread lasting too long on the first page. Other than the Happy Play thread of course. :p

Lol, I didn't want to bring that up and I agree... I kind of think it is. Awesome idea by the way @Neia. I just don't get running to other (sub forums) when the news is whatever is being released right now.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    edited June 2016
    I'm pedantic enough to complain about them merging most of the sections into one parent area, but practical enough to shrug and declare "Well, if there's not enough traffic...". It isn't that too huge of a change to warrant grumbling for, and given the amount of SP's it seems there's going to be, it make sense. Perfectionism is wonderful is all.
  • Options
    uzumouzumo Posts: 1,836 Member
    I feel like the forums is fine the way it is.
  • Options
    Pegasus143Pegasus143 Posts: 2,490 Member
    i think any merging of the different games will have more negative impact than positive because it is confusing

just few minutes ago i surfed on the net new CC for TS4, found a beatifull patio thing sorted under TS4
    i was confused if it was actually for TS4 since it was from a site about TS3 content, so i went to see & it was actually a patio for TS3

The mods/cc forums will be left the way they are now.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,613 Member

.. No. That's not it. When we want to post something we often don't know where to post it, since there are so many topics to choose from, they just decided to make it simpler for us. Lmao, just because they're changing the forums, doesn't mean Sims 4 isn't doing well.

People really can't take it that Sims 4 is a nice game for some people, they're changing the entirety of the forums, not just the Sims 4 topics.
    Well, I always know where to post stuff and where to look for stuff. Everything seems perfectly clear to me, so that 'we' you are talking about can't apply to everyone.

And I know the game is nice for some people. It's nice for me. I play it and enjoy it, it doesn't stop me from thinking the forums are a lot quieter than they were for previous versions. And I never mentioned anything about TS4 not doing well. Paranoid much?
  • Options

Well, I always know where to post stuff and where to look for stuff. Everything seems perfectly clear to me, so that 'we' you are talking about can't apply to everyone.

And I know the game is nice for some people. It's nice for me. I play it and enjoy it, it doesn't stop me from thinking the forums are a lot quieter than they were for previous versions. And I never mentioned anything about TS4 not doing well. Paranoid much?
    I'm not paranoid but I can understand how one might reach the conclusion that you implied the game isn't doing well. You said the fact that there is much less chat therefore the many sections aren't needed speaks volumes about the game. What does it say about the game?
  • Options
    LoveMcQueen5683LoveMcQueen5683 Posts: 3,689 Member
    The stuff pack isn't active at all. Even when a new SP is coming, There's only like 5-10 threads talking about it.

It's not really needed.

@SimGuruDrake consider moving the Sims 4 Help Center boards down below after the Sims 4 boards. That placement really bothers me.
    LR3g0ni.jpg
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    I would guess that if the sections were busier with discussions they would remain separate. It seems like once the newness of a pack wears off, usually a few days to a week, the discussions drop off.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options

I think you're right, SimGuruGraham said in one of the Kids Room topic that he was moving it back to the General Discussion to give the pack a bit more visibility outside of the Stuff Pack sub-forum (quote below).

Yeah, and I've seen comments from simmers who say they don't visit certain forums, or go into the picture threads because they don't want to be tempted to make a purchase. Who knows. Maybe the stuff pack discussions will increase once they're moved to general discussion. I know I only visit the stuff pack forum when a new pack is announced and released or if I'm specifically looking for an answer to a game-play question. I think I'd be more inclined to post on general stuff pack threads if they were in general discussion.
  • Options
    gramatiquegramatique Posts: 526 Member
    I wonder if this can be solved by the use of prefixes. Posters who create a discussion can have a choice to add a prefix in their title, and we as readers can filter it out based on those prefixes. It seems like Vanilla forums allows this feature, perhaps it can be used? Or will it just cause more clutter?