Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Gender is almost perfect - ALMOST

We only need one more thing for non-binary and gnder non-conforming people - an 'other' option. The male and female symbols still restrict people like me to making a sim who uses male or female toilets and has she/her or he/him pronouns. We need an 'other' symbol and a pronouns menu for she/he/they.
Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    aavemyrskyaavemyrsky Posts: 143 Member
    Yes, please!! I'm so with you on this. <3
  • Options
    StarbucksLover05StarbucksLover05 Posts: 87 Member
    The pronouns option is a great idea! :*
  • Options
    ULIBABA66ULIBABA66 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Yes please, I would like this as well :)
  • Options
    mkryanmkryan Posts: 172 Member
    Unfortunately, the English language hasn't even figured out a good option yet for gender-neutral pronouns. :|:|:|
    Let's be friends! My Origin name is musikitty :p
  • Options
    aavemyrskyaavemyrsky Posts: 143 Member
    @Arkster93 Your comment made me so sad I'm close to tears. I don't know what to say. I hope one day you'll grow to understand your privilege and take others into consideration.
  • Options
    VoeilleVoeille Posts: 474 Member
    mkryan wrote: »
    Unfortunately, the English language hasn't even figured out a good option yet for gender-neutral pronouns. :|:|:|

At least in English there is they, it isn’t perfect, but it’s something. In my native language the only neutral pronoun is used for a child (specifically when you use the word child), using it while referring to a particular person would be impolite.

@aavemyrsky
    Don’t let a rude poster upset you :)
    “Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
    Pond & Sea Water Overhaul (TS2)
    Simblr (my TS2 CC)
    MTS Profile
  • Options
    Songwolf666Songwolf666 Posts: 141 Member
    a neutral gender door might be helpful - I mean, you'll have to set up a 3rd bathroom for them, but if it makes Simmers happy, it is what counts, correct? I am not sure if I will personality use the feature, but I am glad to see more 'happy' feedback about this then the negative!!!
    EA Account: SunReiShin
  • Options
    More_MooreMore_Moore Posts: 408 Member
    Arkster93 wrote: »
    No we don't need that crap. The new update already messed up everything. There are only two genders, everything else is called being mentally ill. Open a biology book and you might learn something.

Can you please not. It is uncalled for.

I'm also with OP for that option. It'd be cool for genderless/asexual alien species as well?
    Simmer since day one. Owns every Expansion and extras. Even the console games. XD

Feel free to chat me (I like games/RPGs, game dev, and animu/anime)
  • Options
    FluffyStrawberryFluffyStrawberry Posts: 113 Member
    but we have gender neutral bathroom doors? Is it offensive if it is the stereotypical girl and boy on it? Please
  • Options
    mkryanmkryan Posts: 172 Member
    Voeille wrote: »

At least in English there is they, it isn’t perfect, but it’s something. In my native language the only neutral pronoun is used for a child (specifically when you use the word child), using it while referring to a particular person would be impolite.

Hmm.... that's true. It could be made to work. And that's so interesting! What's your native language, if you don't mind my asking?
    Let's be friends! My Origin name is musikitty :p
  • Options
    VoeilleVoeille Posts: 474 Member
    Hmm.... that's true. It could be made to work. And that's so interesting! What's your native language, if you don't mind my asking?

It’s Polish :)
    “Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
    Pond & Sea Water Overhaul (TS2)
    Simblr (my TS2 CC)
    MTS Profile
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member

UK English has always used the singular they for this purpose. US English is rapidly moving the same way - at least one major newspaper made the shift this spring; there may have been others, but I lost track of that for a while.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    IanamusIanamus Posts: 101 Member
    edited June 2016
    I'm more neutral on this. I'm not sure whether it would be a worthwhile addition or not.

First of all, it raises controversial issues. Is this gender option something that has to be chosen/switched to later in a sims life, or can sims be born with it? If the former, at what age is a sim allowed to select this option?

The new gender options allow for all sorts of new customization options, so I appreciate them. But this wouldn't really amount to anything more than a label, so I'm not sure I see the point.
  • Options
    NatKingSimNatKingSim Posts: 757 Member
    In Sweden we recently got a new pronoun that isn't female nor male. Now it is used everywhere and it actually works very well. It can be used in news articles and academic work in order to hide people's gender, because it often is quite irrelevant, or used in everyday language in order to gradually remove the socially constructed differences (partly created and reproduced through language) between males and females. It can also be used by people who simply don't identify themselves as either male or female.

In Swedish:
    she = hon
    he = han
    (new) neutral = hen

My uncle came to visit from Russia a few weeks ago and I tried to enlighten him about this, but he only screamed that "this d**n democracy has gone too far". He continued to admit a lot of outrages things, all in all his world view is very outdated. I got mad at first, but then I realized I can only pity him, because it is really his loss. Having an open mind and an open heart and empathy is truly the beauty of this short life. Making other people feel welcomed, accepted and valued is a gift that you not only give to others, but also to yourself. And it enriches you immensely. I was raised conservative, very traditional, and I have to say I was only half of myself, as I look back at my early teen years. It literally scares me to think that I could have gone through all of my life being only half of me: to never have pushed my mind beyond what was being fed to me, to never have evolved and embraced the world as it actually is. @aavemyrsky, never let yourself cry because of a half-person like that, really, they might seem privileged but they are stuck in a can. It's unfortunate though that they still take up so much space and shout so loud from that can.
    bI7Zx0.gif
    Download below
  • Options
    thesimsisepicthesimsisepic Posts: 102 Member
    edited June 2016
    What is the point of a gender neutral option? What will it add? There is only male and female, woman and man, and that's it. I appreciate the changes made to CAS because I know transgender people exist and I understand feeling like you may not identify as male or a man, but as a female or woman (and vice-versa), but in between?! The whole reason male and female exists is to give different attributes and behaviors amongst to each separately and that is where gender such masculinty and feminity originate from and will stay to be associated with being male and female respectivley. I don't think it would make me half-hearted to believe there is something special about the differences between men/males and women/females. Again I understand and respect feeling like you should have been born as the other, but this whole idea about there being no such biological thing of gender is ridiculous. The game is fine (well fine for TS4 standards) as is, and I am content with the changes that have been given in TS4 and wish it could have been in previous games too.
  • Options
    Aeroprincess87Aeroprincess87 Posts: 6,417 Member
    I don't understand why people can't just create a female if that's what they really want to be in the game. I get having the male and female clothes and hair being truly unisex, because clothes should not be restricted to one gender. I mean I'm a female but love wearing my husband's coats and t-shirts sometimes, but that doesn't make me male.

Anyway, I'm getting off topic. I think the bathrooms should stay the same. After all there is a unisex bathroom if it really bothers someone so much.
  • Options
    MajorTroubleMajorTrouble Posts: 44 Member
    Is it "necessary"? No. But would it be nice? Yeah. I'm genderqueer so this update let me make a simself... only he's a he, and I'm a they. It's not a big deal but it is mildly offputting to see "he" in all my notifications. It, like all these updates, would be off by default anyway, so what does it matter? If you're not going to use it you never have to look at it. If you are, you'll appreciate having the option.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Is it "necessary"? No. But would it be nice? Yeah. I'm genderqueer so this update let me make a simself... only he's a he, and I'm a they. It's not a big deal but it is mildly offputting to see "he" in all my notifications. It, like all these updates, would be off by default anyway, so what does it matter? If you're not going to use it you never have to look at it. If you are, you'll appreciate having the option.

What notifications? When the game refers to my Sim it always uses my Sim's name. I'm not clear about a notification.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    cam94509cam94509 Posts: 3 New Member
    This would be nice.

Also, gender would benefit from separating "can breastfeed" from "can get pregnant / get others pregnant", as there are ways for trans women to breastfeed, and there are definitely trans men who can't breastfeed.
  • Options
    ravamaileravamaile Posts: 168 Member
    Why do we even have "sex" in The Sims?
    - Pregnancy? But male sims can also get pregnant with aliens. And now, with the latest patch, we can decide whether or not a sim can become pregnant. And I don't understand - does it mean that female sims can inseminate others?
    - Body parts? But all sims regardless of their sex are barbie dolls.

So, wouldn't it be better if we didn't have "sex" at all and had only the "gender" option? And it could be neutral.
    If people were not interested in what we were making we wouldn't continue what we are making. Our data shows us differently. (c) - @SimGuruDrake (LINK)
    Complexity is our enemy when building The Sims, so we look for any opportunity to keep it down. (c) - @SimGuruMax (LINK)
  • Options
    urygauryga Posts: 559 Member
    edited June 2016
    like they have in Europe, Men and woman both share the same bathrooms
  • Options
    GozeppelinGozeppelin Posts: 96 Member
    Little changes can go a long way towards achieving the series' goal of inclusiveness.
  • Options
    EloquentMyDearEloquentMyDear Posts: 54 Member
    I'm glad to see so many positive comments on my post, it's really heartwarming and means a lot to me. For those asking what the "point" is, or saying that there are only men and women in the world, please google the terms "intersex" and "non-binary". Even if you don't "believe" (*rolls eyes*) in transgender identities, if you ACTUALLY picked up a biology book you'd see that almost no-one is 100% XX or 100% XY, and biological sex is never as simple as male or female.

Other than that, please continue with the positivity! I'd really love the addition of able to breastfeed or not! And I'd also like it if the 'sex' of sims was removed entirely, and you just choose body variables, pronouns, and which toilet they use. I wish modders had the resources available to do this.
  • Options
    DaemonPawsDaemonPaws Posts: 192 Member
    The thing I was disappointed about was that there was no "both" option under whether your sim prefers masculine or feminine clothing styles xD
    Origin - DaemonPaws
  • Options
    EloquentMyDearEloquentMyDear Posts: 54 Member
    Syllyra wrote: »
    The thing I was disappointed about was that there was no "both" option under whether your sim prefers masculine or feminine clothing styles xD

Same here, but at least all that that changes is the clothing filters, and you can deselect the feminine or masculine option to show all clothes.