Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Technicalities; missing and future content - The difference between!

Comments

• Options
    AlorxicoAlorxico Posts: 360 Member
    @thegummybear13 I love your Loki stuff!
  • Options
    MysticOneMysticOne Posts: 460 Member
    To7m wrote: »
    Another poster bought up an interesting point on another thread which I felt needed further discussion (thanks @bekkasan!)

Now, we all know how tight lipped EA/Maxis are on FUTURE content but can we really count Toddlers and other base game necessities as the same thing? Surely these items fall under the MISSING CONTENT (stuff that should've been in the base game, but isn't) category; which, as far as I know, isn't included in their communication restrictions.

I really think the time has come for EA/Maxis to finally be honest about the whole thing. It's been 2 years (give or take). Do they really expect us to go on another 2 or more years like this?

--T

*Clarification!

That's the realization I have come to as well. I really thought by now the base game would have had lots of added features. I mean, I feel like I'm hanging by a thread.
  • Options
    thegummybear13thegummybear13 Posts: 310 Member
    Alorxico wrote: »
    @thegummybear13 I love your Loki stuff!

Thank you :) loki forever !
    tumblr_o2lz9mNWaj1sbr6who1_400.gif

• Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    I predict that toddlers will be here in late 2017 :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,970 Member
    edited May 2016
    The way I see it when you start putting out opinions as fact provide some links, hard copy or soft copy, because word of mouth does not jive. You can articulate very well and make it sound good to some folks, but you cannot make it sound good to all folks and those same folks want you to back it up. EA/Maxis eating this stuff up if you ask me and I also know they can clean it up as well. EA/Maxis are no angels, they are a business that care about profits and customers are secondary to them. IMHO, Toddlers is only one feature and not the only one and for me adding those in will not change my views on Sims 4. There are other features that can bring more to this game and if they cater to all players, low end, mid range, and high end it would be a better game. I do not believe in the EA/Maxis hype ride because I seen enough to know what real and what's false. The more EA/Maxis remains secretive and hide behind the cloak of the future there will be unrest other companies are happy to share even future projects because refusing to share even future projects gives me the appearance that all is not well or they hiding something they do not want me to know. All of this is going to come to a head sooner or later and some may not like what is coming.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    I just think The Sims Studio don't have the easy game engine they were led to believe they were getting, and they either have to go on just adding fripperies that the game engine *is* designed for, or they have a really bad struggle to work around it, and don't know until the last minute whether they can pull it off.
  • Options
    I don't think there will ever be a cfe either... which I have the satisfaction of knowing Graham will be disappointed about too, as his main interest is the building side of things
  • Options
    ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    Out of curiosity, for those who believe they were promised, what wording would you have preferred they use? When answering it (and if you're going to say 'I don't care because...' don't) remember that you can't say that they're not coming, but you can't promise they will. Now, what wording would you have used in those blogs?
  • Options
    ZafireriaZafireria Posts: 3,640 Member
    Zafireria wrote: »
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    To the people who said that Maxis was doing clever sales tactic and tricks in terms of toddlers being in the base game but then wasn't. (no offence to anyone, I am lacking a better way to call attention to this XD )

Sims 4 was released September 2, 2014, in July the 7th 2014 (so 2 month before the release) Maxis made a blog about what they would include in the game.
    So, rather than include toddlers, we chose to go deeper on the features that make Sims come alive
    Not much to misunderstand from that sentence. 2 month before release they apparently told you guys that toddlers would not be in the game. So can't see why people keep saying to claimed or tricked. They might have at some point said "all life-stages" but all games can change direction. You were given a 2 months to consider if the game were still worth buying or not.

Source: https://www.thesims.com/en_AU/news/whats-out-and-whats-in

And then they made blog posts and interviews and even went on fansites and made forum posts implying that they'd make them a priority.
    Well they changed the direction, which is sucky but not out of the ordinary. Most games that has not yet been released are subject to changes.
    Cinebar wrote: »
    To the people who said that Maxis was doing clever sales tactic and tricks in terms of toddlers being in the base game but then wasn't. (no offence to anyone, I am lacking a better way to call attention to this XD )

Sims 4 was released September 2, 2014, in July the 7th 2014 (so 2 month before the release) Maxis made a blog about what they would include in the game.
    So, rather than include toddlers, we chose to go deeper on the features that make Sims come alive
    Not much to misunderstand from that sentence. 2 month before release they apparently told you guys that toddlers would not be in the game. So can't see why people keep saying to claimed or tricked. They might have at some point said "all life-stages" but all games can change direction. You were given a 2 months to consider if the game were still worth buying or not.

Add the one where they said 'wouldn't be in at launch' and we will talk. :D
    I believe they said all stage would be included, they just never said at launch :P

They absolutely did say "at launch".

---and as for your reply to me...they didn't change direction. They blatantly misled to sell base game copies and then kept going in the same direction. I'd like to start a class action lawsuit against that business practice.
    Well if that is how you feel, I can't stop you. But if they told you guys no toddlers with a 2 month warning, isn't that enough to cancel pre-orders? Or start a riot at their office?
    If they have said that at launch and then kept misleading people until they made that blog. I can certainly understand your anger when you have been told from the start "All lifestage!" and then like 2 month before release they turn around and go "Yeah no..." I am surprised you haven't stormed their office already.

Don't be absurd by suggesting anyone would 'storm their office'. That's wildly inappropriate to suggest.

The reason the 'at launch' caveat means something is because it suggests a temporary situation-reinforced by the ghosts, pools and careers patch announcements and implementation shortly post release. It indicated a move on Maxis part to make good on their base content that they 'ran out of time' for. 'At launch was included in those blogs you keep referencing. That's the point.

They asked their customers to believe in them. Allowing said customers to then feel let down further is absolutely not good for Maxis long term or their customers. It breeds mistrust, makes future sales more difficult, (with EA scaling down on marketing costs existing customers become more important as they are generally loyal and seek out the adverts themselves) leads to further damage to their reputation, and changes loyal business relationships they have been able to rely on in the past an unknown quantity.

A customer should not be made to feel like they did the wrong thing by trying to support the studio down the line. It shows that customer was loyal and wanted the best of Maxis. Instead of derision from others it should be appreciated.
    Think you are taking my post a bit too serious o.O *storming office* and "riot" are more a way of explaining, how you feel in terms of the situation. Here I mean, when you found all this out, you probably wanted to visit them at their office and talk sense into them and make them fix it. Not something you'll ever do, but you have the thought that you wish you could change things just by doing that.
    I am not suggestion people actually went there and caused harm and issues. Its was a rather poor metaphor sort of thing, sorry.

I don't actually think that is Maxis doing, more EA's policy and guidelines. EA isn't exactly the best company, they have a habit of being a company that never talks to their customers, no matter what games. They were probably told to say those things. Of course I do not know the situation, so I can't say for sure, I am just saying what I have seen them do normally.
    I just hope they open communication somehow before their reputation gets worse.
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    Arletta wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, for those who believe they were promised, what wording would you have preferred they use? When answering it (and if you're going to say 'I don't care because...' don't) remember that you can't say that they're not coming, but you can't promise they will. Now, what wording would you have used in those blogs?

I would have liked to see 'won't be in the sims 4' then an explanation warning of this law they've just used to excuse their silence thus far. They should have disclosed that law knowing how much it would affect this game given the rushed release date and base content they were thinking of adding post release.

That way it would have been really honest and if we invested we would be going in with truly open eyes.
  • Options

And then they made blog posts and interviews and even went on fansites and made forum posts implying that they'd make them a priority.
    Well they changed the direction, which is sucky but not out of the ordinary. Most games that has not yet been released are subject to changes.

I believe they said all stage would be included, they just never said at launch :P

---and as for your reply to me...they didn't change direction. They blatantly misled to sell base game copies and then kept going in the same direction. I'd like to start a class action lawsuit against that business practice.
    Well if that is how you feel, I can't stop you. But if they told you guys no toddlers with a 2 month warning, isn't that enough to cancel pre-orders? Or start a riot at their office?
    If they have said that at launch and then kept misleading people until they made that blog. I can certainly understand your anger when you have been told from the start "All lifestage!" and then like 2 month before release they turn around and go "Yeah no..." I am surprised you haven't stormed their office already.

Don't be absurd by suggesting anyone would 'storm their office'. That's wildly inappropriate to suggest.

The reason the 'at launch' caveat means something is because it suggests a temporary situation-reinforced by the ghosts, pools and careers patch announcements and implementation shortly post release. It indicated a move on Maxis part to make good on their base content that they 'ran out of time' for. 'At launch was included in those blogs you keep referencing. That's the point.

They asked their customers to believe in them. Allowing said customers to then feel let down further is absolutely not good for Maxis long term or their customers. It breeds mistrust, makes future sales more difficult, (with EA scaling down on marketing costs existing customers become more important as they are generally loyal and seek out the adverts themselves) leads to further damage to their reputation, and changes loyal business relationships they have been able to rely on in the past an unknown quantity.

A customer should not be made to feel like they did the wrong thing by trying to support the studio down the line. It shows that customer was loyal and wanted the best of Maxis. Instead of derision from others it should be appreciated.
    Think you are taking my post a bit too serious o.O *storming office* and "riot" are more a way of explaining, how you feel in terms of the situation. Here I mean, when you found all this out, you probably wanted to visit them at their office and talk sense into them and make them fix it. Not something you'll ever do, but you have the thought that you wish you could change things just by doing that.
    I am not suggestion people actually went there and caused harm and issues. Its was a rather poor metaphor sort of thing, sorry.

I don't actually think that is Maxis doing, more EA's policy and guidelines. EA isn't exactly the best company, they have a habit of being a company that never talks to their customers, no matter what games. They were probably told to say those things. Of course I do not know the situation, so I can't say for sure, I am just saying what I have seen them do normally.

So do I. I've said many times the poor communication has absolutely made the situation much worse. As someone who invested early despite the issues I expected EA/Maxis to appreciate those customers who did so and not read comments which indicated otherwise.

EA have been making a lot of fuss about improving the customer experience and so I think it's important that when they get it right they hear why and when they get it wrong they do too. It's how things truly change within a company.

Maxis has also had struggles recently-this and SC2013. As someone who has supported the studio since before the sims started I would like to see things improve to regain the great experience I've had from them for all those years which justified the loyalty I had to them. I was proud to be a fan of Maxis-and I always used to say that I knew EA had a bad reputation but I'd never had that trouble while supporting Maxis. Until now. It's just disappointing after so many years to experience such a situation.

I'm also very worried that Maxis will suffer in the same fashion as other studios EA bought that I supported which they just shut down. Maxis has many years of rave successes and I want to make sure EA know how much that means. I don't want it to be absorbed into just mobile gaming. Mobile isn't close to the depth which attracted me to the studio and their products.
  • Options
    ZafireriaZafireria Posts: 3,640 Member

So do I. I've said many times the poor communication has absolutely made the situation much worse. As someone who invested early despite the issues I expected EA/Maxis to appreciate those customers who did so and not read comments which indicated otherwise.

EA have been making a lot of fuss about improving the customer experience and so I think it's important that when they get it right they hear why and when they get it wrong they do too. It's how things truly change within a company.

Maxis has also had struggles recently-this and SC2013. As someone who has supported the studio since before the sims started I would like to see things improve to regain the great experience I've had from them for all those years which justified the loyalty I had to them. I was proud to be a fan of Maxis-and I always used to say that I knew EA had a bad reputation but I'd never had that trouble while supporting Maxis. Until now. It's just disappointing after so many years to experience such a situation.

I'm also very worried that Maxis will suffer in the same fashion as other studios EA bought that I supported which they just shut down. Maxis has many years of rave successes and I want to make sure EA know how much that means. I don't want it to be absorbed into just mobile gaming. Mobile isn't close to the depth which attracted me to the studio and their products.
    Technically Maxis has already been shut down. Maxis Emeryville studio was shut down in March 15th 2015. But then September 25, 2015, Electronic Arts announced that Maxis was reassigned to the EA Mobile division. So they got closed then reopened as a mobile company. I believe its The Sims Studio who runs the show now. Tho the communication was rather poor before they got shut down, I think it started to slowly go down hill after Sims 2 came to an end and Sims 3 began, then when Sims 4 was released it was like someone *gagged* the entire sims studio team. Like I mention before I hope they open up soon about communication.
  • Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member

Has anyone found this 'law' that prevents them from telling us stuff? I can barely google a specific type of cc I want let alone a vague 'law' that sounds like bureaucratic doogy doo. I've followed other threads when members have talked about this law that some guru mentioned, but, not even Jack (sorry, you are usually very detailed oriented trying to prove your points, so I had to use part of your name.) has actually pointed us to a web page detailing it.

I do understand non disclosure agreements and what that entails. I understand that the guru's, dev's and other minions are not allowed to discuss stuff. BUT, the honchos can tell us yes or no toddlers will or will not be placed in the game (unless the 'law' really exists). I've said before I don't trust EA/Maxis, the various spokespeople over the years have stated too many falsehoods, so I'll believe it if I see it in print. IE...'priority' for one. The honchos could discuss it and make the decision to settle this issue once and for all. To be honest, it is what keeps many of us here though, and they really don't want us to leave, because if you are here, you can be tempted by new content, new patches in the hopes that it will be better.

Every log in to origin just to make a sim or build or play the game is another tick in the counts that they can say 'this many are playing the game' If we leave, we find other games to play, we are no longer are tempted by the future content teases and hopes. I've given up on Sims4 for me. I made my stand with my wallet by cancelling my pre order and not purchasing it later. I do have hopes that Sims5 will be better if they are willing to listen to what we want in a game. If they follow a vision that no one else can see...pfft. It won't be the game for me.
  • Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    well, isn't that interesting? More falsehoods/internet myths.
  • Options
    Bekkasan it is looking very much like an accounting decision taken by EA which helps them to keep their quarterly accounts looking tidy. They could tell us what they want when they want but if they tell us things at one time rather than another their accounting sheet and tax returns would be lumpy in the wrong places.
  • Options
    Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    edited May 2016
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    @To7m wrote: »
    @jackjack_k, you do know the meaning of the word 'sequel', right? It wouldn't be spider-man 2 if it was all about iron man, would it?

So yes, I consider Toddlers to be MISSING CONTENT. As Spark said (ETA: Amazing post BTW @sparkfairy1), you're free to disagree but I really don't care. Also, tweet or not, a Guru said ALL life stage were in the game. Fact. Whether it was at launch or not, that, to me, is pretty much a promise. Also considering, oh, you know, things don't generally skip major gaps in their lives.

@SimGuruDrake, that's grand, but they are considered by me to be missing. Like, helloooooooooooo.... It's a game about LIFE for crying out loud. Can we PLEASE get some info that is not a copy and paste comment?

--T

It could be Spider Man without Mary Jane though.

Case in point, The Sims didn't originate as a "family game" that was introduced to the PC version of The Sims 2. The other versions of The Sims 2 also stayed closer to the original Sims.

So just because The Sims 4 doesn't focus on family, like 2 and 3 (although players had to wait with 3 to get something decent), doesn't mean it HAS to be there. The first information EA said on this game, was that it was going back to its roots. Which wasn't a "family simulator" it was a humorous Life Simulator, with quirky, over the top colour, animation and ideas. And The Sims 4 delivers on that. It's just not something fans of The Sims 2 & 3 probably wanted, but that doesn't mean EA's lost it's footing.

May I remind you, the original Sims sold over 20 million. The Sims 2 on PC? 6 million. The Sims 2 on other platforms? 7 million.
    The Sims 3 probably sold less (it sold 10 million on all platforms, and we know the game sold 1 million on Xbox and PlayStation minimum, and over a million on Andorid/iOS. And it sold on really well on DS, which made EA rush release a version for Nintendo 3DS).

But all in all, EA are allowed to try something different. Obviously a base audience of 5 - 6 million isn't that great. A lot of EA's games sell more in their first month. Not only that, but DLC often gets pirated so it's more a case of selling as much of the base game as possible.

And judging by the most recent financial report, The Sims 4 is holding up much better than anyone expected, even EA themselves. They first said last year the game was their biggest game, and now they are saying it's grown by two thirds. They even said along with FIFA, it was their biggest unexpected success last year. And guess what? Star Wars was EA's biggest game this financial quarter, but they were more keen on gushing over The Sims 4.

And you wanna know something even more interesting? The Sims 3 was NEVER mentioned specifically in a financial report after it's initial launch. EA lumped The Sims 2, The Sims 3 and My Sims together.

The fact The Sims 4 is getting it's own shout out is nothing but positive. So yeah, long story short, while it would be nice to implement everything previous games have had, how do you know that is was working for them? I mean The Sims 3's biggest cash cow, The Sims 3 Store made 20 million in revenue in 5 years. The Sims 4 made 75 million in 6 months, base game alone.

The Sims didn't originate as a family game but back before "the sims" was the sims in creation by correct me if I'm wrong Will Wright it was going to be called the dollhouse now the dollhouse consist of a mother, father, and kids isn't that considered a family and oh wait the sims series consists of a mother father and kids or maybe just a husband and wife so that's a family so if it wasn't generated as a family game than what have we been playing all 16 years people in a house?
  • Options
    ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    edited May 2016
    There isn't one. Someone whose name I won't mention has been spreading misinformation like the plague.

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/14732539/#Comment_14732539
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    IngeJones wrote: »
    Bekkasan it is looking very much like an accounting decision taken by EA which helps them to keep their quarterly accounts looking tidy. They could tell us what they want when they want but if they tell us things at one time rather than another their accounting sheet and tax returns would be lumpy in the wrong places.
    Pretty much. They have to make sure the revenues and expenses are kept in the right fiscal quarter. So it is all a balancing of numbers to see how the budget for the quarter.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    There isn't one. Someone whose name I won't mention has been spreading misinformation like the plague.

Still not a law. Just accounting.
  • Options

Law or not if they knew that pre release and that they had a bunch of stuff to implement post release the onus was on EA/Maxis to communicate why they were shutting down on communication. Given that it's suddenly okay to tell us about this law now why exactly wasn't it pre release?
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,629 Member

It's accounting that, when you follow the chain, a law says they have to use.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member

Yeah pretty much. Law, taxes, and accounting go hand in hand sometimes.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member

Law or not if they knew that pre release and that they had a bunch of stuff to implement post release the onus was on EA/Maxis to communicate why they were shutting down on communication. Given that it's suddenly okay to tell us about this law now why exactly wasn't it pre release?

I have no idea why they made that public. Seems like more misleading speak to drive the community to stop asking questions. If I was in charge, this is not something I would ever tell customers or use as an excuse.

Point is, they can tell us what the next EP is and they haven't. I read between the lines here...
  • Options
    Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member

Ok then, then can someone please help and provide a link to the chain & law? I'm not trying to be argumentative, just truly curious here.