Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

This is a vent - regarding forced patches

Comments

• Options
    CharlieGothCharlieGoth Posts: 192 Member
    but it's just a clown lol.
  • Options
    LoveMcQueen5683LoveMcQueen5683 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Gabe_oz wrote: »
    Well i agree they really need to stop giving Npc roles to townies. I thought they were going to start doing so with the introduction of Jasmine Holiday. The possibility is clearly there. I don't know why they don't. I think the tragic clown only shows up randomly on retail lots and obviously he can be summouned through the painting. Though random townies showing up in costumes have been an issue for a long time.

On the subject of forced patches, i think it will be too complicated for them to have multiple versions of the game. Some witj tragic clowns and some withour. It just sounds tricky and Thats probably why they don't do it that way.

You can easily avoid the clown and you can cheat or use the closet to give a makeover to clown townies.

That was fixed with the patch we had when Spooky Stuff came out. All costumes now have a special mark on them so game generated sims will only wear them to certain parties.

Someone on here posted random townies with the clown hair. I would consider that a part of the costume. I don't know about you.
    LR3g0ni.jpg
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    I don't see how one should be deemed easily offended because they are forced to readjust themselves to a game they purchased 60 dollars for, in the name of the company trying to get them to buy more DLC, rather than allowing the DLC to sell itself based off of its own merit. I mean, regardless, everyone should be able to express their opinion without the passive aggressive remarks.

Everyone is definitely welcome to their own opinion; easily offended people just make it worse and ruin things for other people - the LOL/Disagree button is a good example.

I do not see how people can be easily offended by a game; it is just a game - it isn't real what so ever.

The money they handed over to EA was quite real, as was whatever they have done to get that money.
  • Options
    mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    IceyJ wrote: »

Free content was still added in patches, though. I don't remember if it bothered anyone back then.

it bothered me. Especially in two instances:
    1. The patch before Late Night increased the requirements for running the game outright making me unable to play for over a year.
    2. The patch before ambitions gave people gross body hair

Easily offended people are most likely the worst honestly.

People are easily offended over the oddest things, such as the insane trait, bush woohoo, long hair on male sims, shower woohoo, etc. I don't see long hair on male sims and shower woohoo happening due to them.

I don't think that wanting your simulation game to be customizable is being easily offended.
  • Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    mirta000 wrote: »
    I don't think that wanting your simulation game to be customizable is being easily offended.

Agreed. :)

Not really good at explaining things. :D
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited April 2016
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Colton I'm so offended I can't even....you are the worst....so offended....I'm so offended...like...so offended. Justin deserves better!

You can keep Justin (Bieber); I'll keep Justine Keaton. >:)

(Sorry... I had too. :p)

I was talking about Justin Timberlake...

cortes-masculinos-2015-cabelo-justin-timberlake-2015-penteado-masculino-cabelo-masculino-tutorial-como-fazer-alex-cursino-blogueiro-de-moda-fashion-blogger-moda-sem-censura-haircut-hair-style-estilo-masculino.jpg
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    GruffmanGruffman Posts: 4,831 Member
    edited April 2016

Easily offended people are most likely the worst honestly.

People are easily offended over the oddest things, such as the insane trait, bush woohoo, long hair on male sims, shower woohoo, etc. I don't see long hair on male sims and shower woohoo happening due to them.

If you don't want shower woo-hoo, then just don't woo-hoo in the shower. You don't want male sims with long hair ... then don't make male sims with long hair.
  • Options
    Dramatic-GamerDramatic-Gamer Posts: 713 Member
    I'm sure someone before me has grumbled about this already and I probably missed it.

Stop forcing us to update if we don't want to update!

I am not interested in having the tragic clown back in my sims game, I had happily avoided the clown in past versions. But now thanks to how plummed up ea/maxis/origin has made everything in terms of s4 I now have a $70+ s4 base game I can't play unless I install the newest plummed patch!

What happened to the player being in control of the game?!?

My game is not broken, I'm not buying added content that would require the newer patches, so I and other players should not be forced to patch if we don't want to! Especially as most of the current patches really don't do much for vanilla base game copies of s4.

Ea/maxis/origin needs to let players decide if they want the newest patch or not.

Yes I get that it's an option to play as a clown, I don't even want the costume in cas, or view the painting and have a random townie* show up as the clown.

*Seriously a random townie, was it really "to hard" to code an npc tragic clown, which is what the original tragic clown was. That someone on the program team or in management thought it was best to pull a townie. Yes, I'm glaring at the lameness of that bit of coding when I, as well as other simmers, know that better coding is possible, and that per the March patch, plus the patches that have returned gardeners & repair persons to the game it is possible to code new npc's for the game.

As to the list of fixes in the patch notes, none of them are problems I have encountered in game, and to top it off they still haven't addressed the problem of sims sitting down to pick up and put away books. :s

Ea/maxis/origin you want my money then stop acting like dictatorial 🐸🐸🐸🐸 hats!

sincerely,
    one majorly plummed off simmer

This is most beautiful , most professional thing I have ever read on this site... my eyes and mind are so happy that I read this .
    Thank You ♥
    Youtube_Banner_2017.jpg
  • Options
    imhappyimhappy Posts: 1,988 Member
    For all of you who play offline because you don't like patches...

They use what you do online to make decisions for the future of Sims games.

I like patches! They fix things for me. I'm always online! I automatically age any children in game, into young adults! I turn aging off, and my sims party all the time! (can't say I didn't warn you)
  • Options
    Gabe_ozGabe_oz Posts: 1,880 Member
    Gabe_oz wrote: »
    Well i agree they really need to stop giving Npc roles to townies. I thought they were going to start doing so with the introduction of Jasmine Holiday. The possibility is clearly there. I don't know why they don't. I think the tragic clown only shows up randomly on retail lots and obviously he can be summouned through the painting. Though random townies showing up in costumes have been an issue for a long time.

On the subject of forced patches, i think it will be too complicated for them to have multiple versions of the game. Some witj tragic clowns and some withour. It just sounds tricky and Thats probably why they don't do it that way.

You can easily avoid the clown and you can cheat or use the closet to give a makeover to clown townies.

That was fixed with the patch we had when Spooky Stuff came out. All costumes now have a special mark on them so game generated sims will only wear them to certain parties.

Someone on here posted random townies with the clown hair. I would consider that a part of the costume. I don't know about you.

Yeah, I've seen it once. But it's still a hair.
  • Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member

cortes-masculinos-2015-cabelo-justin-timberlake-2015-penteado-masculino-cabelo-masculino-tutorial-como-fazer-alex-cursino-blogueiro-de-moda-fashion-blogger-moda-sem-censura-haircut-hair-style-estilo-masculino.jpg

I haven't heard Justin Timberlake in a long time. :D
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    WulfsimmerWulfsimmer Posts: 4,381 Member
    Wait....it all makes sense now. The tragic clown can be a male and a female, they always have different names, all special interactions could be done when wearing the uniform. OF COURSE IT IS JUST A TOWNIE :expressionless: 🐸🐸🐸🐸 :/
    Random-gifs-random-18723411-368-312.gif

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Wulfsimmer wrote: »
    Wait....it all makes sense now. The tragic clown can be a male and a female, they always have different names, all special interactions could be done when wearing the uniform. OF COURSE IT IS JUST A TOWNIE :expressionless: 🐸🐸🐸🐸 :/

Did you just realise that? :p It's all about the outfit, it's not a "unique NPC".
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    I don't see how one should be deemed easily offended because they are forced to readjust themselves to a game they purchased 60 dollars for, in the name of the company trying to get them to buy more DLC, rather than allowing the DLC to sell itself based off of its own merit. I mean, regardless, everyone should be able to express their opinion without the passive aggressive remarks.

Everyone is definitely welcome to their own opinion; easily offended people just make it worse and ruin things for other people - the LOL/Disagree button is a good example.

I do not see how people can be easily offended by a game; it is just a game - it isn't real what so ever.

We live in the age of the easily offended. Although quite often it's not even that particular person who is offended by what is said or done but they've made a sort of career of being offended for anyone who could possibly be offended by anything.
    IceyJ wrote: »
    Kaantje wrote: »
    Kaantje wrote: »
    There will always be stuff you like and don't like in any game. Like the ice truck in sims 3.
    I also don't like the guy ringing my door bell with the welcome basket of university, but I just accept him knowing
    my sims can go to college and he is just a part of the pack. Just like the clown is a part of the patch.
    I really don't see any reason to open a tread and complain about it. You should be grateful, you get free stuff.

A big one is because for every bit of 'free' content you won't use it clogs up your game-as we run into years of TS4 people will be unable to pick and choose what they install and will have a bucket load of stuff they didn't want in game. It's one thing when it's in an ep-but when it's stuff going on that *could* be optional as time goes on its likely it will start to affect performance for some players.

Not to mention the extra internet data usage. There are people who do not have unlimited internet yet and the patches were starting to impact on the price of their monthly usage. (Not me but I saw a few people discussing this).

It's one thing forced bug patches but when they've offered optional patches for content before its obviously something they could do.

Yeah, but there is also a lot of content you don't want in a game pack or expansion pack, and still people buy it, because there is also stuff you do want. A lot of games have patches with stuff in them, you can use it or not. This game is not made for only a few, but made for many.
    And you can't simply make everybody happy, as this tread proves.

Did you read my post? Your reply seemed to completely miss what I said.

Yes it's made for many-but if people wish to tell EA that the forced patches do bother them which is essentially what this thread is for (The OP even addresses EA!) then that's their prerogative. They may find that there is a 'many' to the people wishing to see optional patches return for the content separately to the bug fixes.

Yes, that's one of the purposes the store served. Free content was there to download or not download.

Free content was still added in patches, though. I don't remember if it bothered anyone back then.

I could be wrong but I remember things like pool blue prints, basements, sliders and body hair in CAS but as far as actual items I only remember things like that being in the store to download.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    Lol. This is why I left the game. Most of the stuff they added in the patches ruined my gameplay rather than enhanced it. It is what it is. Every month. I got tired of being disappointed and upset by content I never wanted nor asked for and lost functionality I enjoyed.

I'm sure you left the game because you can't say anything positive about it, rather than this one issue :p Also, this has been around since the dawn of the Sims. In the early Sims 2 days, I tried to avoid the TurnOff/TurnOn feature, and the "Furious" feature that would both drive me insane in CAS and Live mode, because Sims would become furious in Live Mode a lot, and the original Turn On/Turn Off feature was too specific, so at one point my Sim would only agree to romantic interactions if his gf was in her underwear etc.

I couldn't, because it was included in every patch after Nightlife, and the "too specific" issue wasn't fixed until Pets patch when they added the Werewolf, which must have picked up the issue in testing. I had it introduced when installing Family Fun Stuff despite uninstalling Nightlife because of it (it made life way too hard, Sims would be come furious just by choosing to go on a date with someone else).

The point is, Games have to have everyone using the same core features to avoid bugs. If everyone has different configurations, is more likely to have bugs. Which is why The Sims 3 was an absolute mess, because it had so many check boxes to turn stuff on and off (great in theory) but different configurations, would mean more specific bugs could have appeared, and there's more changes it only affects certain people on certain configurations. Which is why The Sims 2 (and now The Sims 4) pretty much kept it simple.

Also, what's the difference between getting Tragic Clown in a patch, or getting him in an EP? I mean, I didn't buy certain packs because of what they come with. If I liked the idea of living in the city, I wouldn't avoid buying Late Night because of Vampires (which you couldn't turn off until Supernatural).

It comes to a point where it's Tough Luck and move on. Because The Sims has always been this way. Heck, EA didn't even remove the PC that arrives at your doorstep in The Sims 2 by Rob Humble, despite the fact it was supposed to be removed later on.

----

Long story short, people have constantly got CC/Mod related bugs that no one else gets, because slight changes to the game can cause weird bugs. I know of a mod that I downloaded for Sims 4, that was to change the sky, and yet for someone reason, it caused a bug where Sims couldn't sit on Picnic Benches. These are the things that happen when people being able to cherry pick base game content, and that means more chances for bugs, and more chances only the people who have downloaded everything would get them fixed. Everyone would have a different set up, and everyone would have different issues.

There comes a point where users on here, aren't realistic. It already gets hard enough as it is, with different packs conflicting. The best bet would be to mod out something you don't want. Because The Sims 2 and The Sims 4 pretty much follow the same system of "you get everything because it means less issues". The Sims 3 may have allowed you to cherry pick, but it caused nothing but issues. Especially with Store Content. The amount of lag and bugs that would cause (literally removing store content makes your game so much faster) and it's because it's conflicting with each other, but there's too many possibilities to fix it.
  • Options
    ENolanENolan Posts: 2,735 Member
    1196vlf.jpg

Well, this is going as well as I was expecting...
  • Options
    TheSingingSimmerTheSingingSimmer Posts: 3,348 Member

I haven't heard Justin Timberlake in a long time. :D

His next song is coming in (it's gonna be) May!

I had to.
  • Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    All this could be avoided if Maxis just gave us more options to customize features in-game. The they could add features to their hearts content, and people wouldn't have a problem with it as much. What if we could choose to turn off certain NPCs or Supernatural life states like Aliens? The people that didn't want the clown could turn it off, and the people that don't want to play Aliens could turn those off too.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Aine wrote: »
    All this could be avoided if Maxis just gave us more options to customize features in-game. The they could add features to their hearts content, and people wouldn't have a problem with it as much. What if we could choose to turn off certain NPCs or Supernatural life states like Aliens? The people that didn't want the clown could turn it off, and the people that don't want to play Aliens could turn those off too.
    I think that would be the ideal situation too. The game needs options. I wouldn't mind having toggle on and off options.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    Can someone tell me if the Tragic Clown actually appears randomly in the streets if you haven't summoned it yet? It's not really the case in my game so far even tho I have already summoned one.

I don't see why people have to be mad about this kind of stuff. They're free updates and there's always going to be something that you hate that is added to the game that someone else might love. Or just pretend that these stuff were meant to be in the base game and there's nothing you can do about it since you already bought the game, right? Just think about that for a second. Will you still be mad if the clowns were there from the beginning? Maybe, but then you will probably get over it.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »

I'm sure you left the game because you can't say anything positive about it, rather than this one issue :p Also, this has been around since the dawn of the Sims. In the early Sims 2 days, I tried to avoid the TurnOff/TurnOn feature, and the "Furious" feature that would both drive me insane in CAS and Live mode, because Sims would become furious in Live Mode a lot, and the original Turn On/Turn Off feature was too specific, so at one point my Sim would only agree to romantic interactions if his gf was in her underwear etc.

Guess you never read any of my positive posts then. Believe what you want. It wasn't this patch that broke the camel's back for me, and I really don't need to justify myself to you or anyone else either. As for the rest, I really don't care about what you have to say or think about any of it. You're not the one who needs to know what drove me away.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    kremesch73 wrote: »

Guess you never read any of my positive posts then. Believe what you want. It wasn't this patch that broke the camel's back for me, and I really don't need to justify myself to you or anyone else either. As for the rest, I really don't care about what you have to say or think about any of it. You're not the one who needs to know what drove me away.
    Don't even worry about it. "Positive" defense is just a code word for "obey my every word or else" now. The whole positive vs. negative sides discussions are nonsense. Same with the "us" vs "them" things. Anyway the word positive is technically a negative for deviant Simmers like myself. >:) We delight when Sims are unhappy and about to meet the Grim Reaper. So don't sweat it and happy Simming. I hope you don't go anyway by the way. We need a variety of Simmers on forums. Everyone is needed regardless how they feel about any of the games.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    kremesch73 wrote: »

I awesome'd your post. It really deserved it.

I always found the idea of forced content in patches unappealing. Like someone said earlier, the TS3 store was a much better idea, in regards to delivering free content. If you didn't want the freebies, there was no need to go to the store and download it.
    Options are a good thing.

It's a shame there isn't some feature on that gallery or something, or perhaps on the main TS4 page where they could stick the free content instead of forcing people to add it to their games and having those that don't want it scrambling for some kind of way to mod it out, or having to come to complain on the forums.

Also, hello MamaD it's lovely to see you :)
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,161 Member
    Pretty much. If you don't rave about every single thing in this game you are somehow easily offended? How does that make sense? Doesn't anyone remember 'you rule'? This is supposed to be your world. Created and played the way you want. But instead they just force all this junk on you. And if you dare not love it, the same handful of people rush in to put you down, and make sure to point out just how wrong you are about everything. I'm sure the day will come where something is added to the game that really just ruins it for you, and maybe you will remember how awful you were to others, and feel ashamed.
    Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png
  • Options
    Pary wrote: »

I always found the idea of forced content in patches unappealing. Like someone said earlier, the TS3 store was a much better idea, in regards to delivering free content. If you didn't want the freebies, there was no need to go to the store and download it.
    Options are a good thing.

It's a shame there isn't some feature on that gallery or something, or perhaps on the main TS4 page where they could stick the free content instead of forcing people to add it to their games and having those that don't want it scrambling for some kind of way to mod it out, or having to come to complain on the forums.
    That's an interesting idea. I like the idea of using the Gallery for optional downloads.