Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Keeping entertained despite lack of story progression.

So, I used to frequent these forums a lot, active for several years here. After the sims 4 came out I stopped being involved in the community so much. :o

Sims 4 has some great features, I can’t fault the building or create a sim, and the game play is a lot better with ‘emotions’. It makes it kinda hard for me to go back to sims 3 now. I play sims 3 and I feel restricted with building style and interactions. I play sims 4 and i’m facing other issues which make the game simply unplayable to me.

I don’t play rotationally, at all :( . I only ever play linearly, with one family and onwards… but after the first 2 generations I’m left with a neighbourhood of old people. Having the story progression mod has helped this somewhat, but It shouldn’t be up to modders to make the basics of the game functional.

I'll play sims 4 for a full weekend, check back here hoping theres a update or news on story progression … toddlers?! and then, I am disappointed... forget about it for a few more months .. and repeat.

I understand that the people here, who’ve stuck around must obviously enjoy the gameplay. so is there something which you do to make it more interesting? or to deal with the absence of so many things? I miss how the fun I used to have playing these games.

I’ve tried making my town look more victorian'ish which has been entertaining at least. Along with using the group functionality to create ‘religions’ of sorts.

ncbla1.png

also, It bothers me that my sims are so hard to kill, I always end up having to kill off the grandparents because nobody is dying!! I’ve never seen anyone electrocuted in my game. I’ve never seen a fire....i’ve managed to drown people but that takes ages.

Comments

• Options
    SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    edited April 2016
    I only play legacy with one family too. And I haven't been bored at all. The aspirations and jobs keep me busy.
    Although I wish there were more jobs.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • Options
    drowssapdrowssap Posts: 2,007 Member
    How do you manage to stick to one family? once i get to the 2'nd/3rd generation point and i have a neighbourhood of old folks, I end up frustrated and starting anew ... thus loosing interest. When i focus on aspirations and jobs which I do enjoy, i tend to focus on just one sim, and dealing with more than 1 sim with a career is hard :worried:
    id love to see a military career again! that was my favourite.
  • Options
    dreita95dreita95 Posts: 237 Member
    I LOVE rotational play, it keeps me entertained. Right now I'm playing 5 households all related to each other. I recently downloaded the MC mod & I love it before that I was basically "playing" with the premades just to make them have babies because I noticed that after a while the only kids in town were the kids from the families I was playing. Since I love have them to the social butterfly aspiration it became very hard for them to complete it.
    Analogue at birth, digital by design.
  • Options
    SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    edited April 2016
    drowssap wrote: »
    How do you manage to stick to one family? once i get to the 2'nd/3rd generation point and i have a neighbourhood of old folks, I end up frustrated and starting anew ... thus loosing interest. When i focus on aspirations and jobs which I do enjoy, i tend to focus on just one sim, and dealing with more than 1 sim with a career is hard :worried:
    id love to see a military career again! that was my favourite.

I dunno my game generates all kindsa sims, not just old ones. Sometimes I make cute ones myself and put them in the game. I don't play them but befriend them with my legacy sims.
    I'm able to focus on more than one sim :) But I do send all the kids away who are not the next heir/heiress. I don't like the limited kids' life in Sims 4 so I find them boring and can't divide my attention to all of them.

Military career would be cool yeah :)

edit: I manage one household cause it'sc basically like playing with a single sim. Every new heir/heiress is a great opportunity to enjoy a new gameplay
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • Options
    JuanaJuana Posts: 840 Member
    I can't play rotationally either. I play through the generations of my one family, but I also normally start anew after the 3rd generation. Although my MasterController mod really does the game wonders..

Slightly on the same subject....In a perfect world, I think TS would be cool if you could play TS sandbox as is, but also an actual story within, similar to those Episode games on your smartphone. The Sims community could pitch into different stories as well and you could download Maxis or user generated stories to play. There's other things to focus on for now and they'd probably require a much bigger "investor" for the game, but it's still a cool idea.
  • Options
    Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    I use this mod for story progression: http://modthesims.info/d/551680

It's a really good mod in my opinion and does it's job well, the only thing about it that bother me is that when I'm saving my families to the gallery from a save I used it on, it marks them as if they use CC.
  • Options
    StilleWaterStilleWater Posts: 1,566 Member
    chenmn123 wrote: »

It's a really good mod in my opinion and does it's job well, the only thing about it that bother me is that when I'm saving my families to the gallery from a save I used it on, it marks them as if they use CC.

I don't use MC, but I do use other mods. Recently I started a new game and took out all mods, b4 starting, and all my downloads to the gallery are marked with CC...the only CC used was making the flowers larger and move objects with alt for placement, like I did b4 I started using mods.
    The Sims I make that I save to my library also show CC. So my question is, what is being construed as CC?
    7FXGVZ1.jpg?1
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Yeah I love the MC Command Center mod. It actually helps a lot with several aspects of the game mechanics. I play rotationally, so it was very important to know that there was a way for relationship and general culling not messing up my stories in my game.

Your little church is cute. Have you had any weddings at it?
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    If it wasn't for the MC Command Mod I think I would get bored a lot faster than I do. He is always tweaking it and making it better. Even takes requests. That mod adds to customizing my game play more that EA ever has throughout the Sims series. Every Sunday I get notifications on who married who, who got who pregnant and which family has moved into which home!!! I don't have the death notifications on but I would get those as well.

I do have to admit that the game does lack a lot of things for my play style but the game is just over a year and half old and I was greatly disappointed there wasn't story progression and family tree. Personally; I think a lot of things were deliberately left out just to play the "You spoke, we listened card".

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member

I don't use MC, but I do use other mods. Recently I started a new game and took out all mods, b4 starting, and all my downloads to the gallery are marked with CC...the only CC used was making the flowers larger and move objects with alt for placement, like I did b4 I started using mods.
    The Sims I make that I save to my library also show CC. So my question is, what is being construed as CC?

The game appears to only look for the presence of content in the Mods folder, not for what that content is. Given that there are mods for object placement (adding object slots etc.) that could mess with downloads, I can kind of see why.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    If it wasn't for the MC Command Mod I think I would get bored a lot faster than I do.
    I agree with you on that. I had quite a break from TS4 before I saw this mod. After I downloaded it, it managed to spark my interest in the game for 5 more generations of a family I've been playing for awhile before... :p

• Options
    CementCement Posts: 3,505 Member
    That is such a cute screenshot. <3
    I never had the guts to do a sort of overhaul in the worlds, so everything's mostly generic houses and the like. As for me, I found myself playing rotationally after playing one family--though, I guess I can still say it's the same family since I'm playing their children's children's children. :P

I like to put up challenges for myself, like play a day without using 3 speed or focusing on children. Recently, I found out my main house lost their collection progress due to a whole squatter issue the year before, so I'm getting them all again on a couple of my aliens who aren't gonna be dying any time soon. I usually get burnt out whenever I have a reason to stop (like any game breaking glitches), but I usually end up migrating to my other save where I have set everything CC free and putting in my own townies and making houses. If anything, I'd take a break, play something else completely different like Smite or some random horror game in my Steam library... Then I'll miss how casual the sims is and then I come running back LOL

It just seems like there's always something to do on the sims, regardless of what iteration it is actually.
  • Options
    drowssapdrowssap Posts: 2,007 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    Yeah I love the MC Command Center mod. It actually helps a lot with several aspects of the game mechanics. I play rotationally, so it was very important to know that there was a way for relationship and general culling not messing up my stories in my game.

Not yet, there have been renewed vows though, I modelled the 'religions' after the ones in sims medieval, so thats the peteran church and theres the Jacobans church which the eldest children belong too :D . It works quite well, they meet up .... read books and such.
    incvgi.png
    2wcdxxw.png

The mc mod that was mentioned, I do use that, but I still seem to have the problem with elders taking over. For me, that makes the game playable but .. it's not as natural as story progression was in sims 3. I liked being able to see my sims new 'cousins' just walking about and being like "oh hey I know that last name, awesome".

Doing this ^ thing with groups and changing the towns up abit has kept me pretty entertained, like 'cement' mentioned, doing personal challanges. I've tried adjusting life span to short and playing as many generations as possible.. stuff like that. Im so glad they added a family tree, until the sims started getting culled and I had to get a mod to fix that too :s ! but family trees are a welcome addition.

• Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    drowssap wrote: »
    Scobre wrote: »

Not yet, there have been renewed vows though, I modelled the 'religions' after the ones in sims medieval, so thats the peteran church and theres the Jacobans church which the eldest children belong too :D . It works quite well, they meet up .... read books and such.
    incvgi.png
    2wcdxxw.png

The mc mod that was mentioned, I do use that, but I still seem to have the problem with elders taking over. For me, that makes the game playable but .. it's not as natural as story progression was in sims 3. I liked being able to see my sims new 'cousins' just walking about and being like "oh hey I know that last name, awesome".

Doing this ^ thing with groups and changing the towns up abit has kept me pretty entertained, like 'cement' mentioned, doing personal challanges. I've tried adjusting life span to short and playing as many generations as possible.. stuff like that. Im so glad they added a family tree, until the sims started getting culled and I had to get a mod to fix that too :s ! but family trees are a welcome addition.
    Cool and I'm pretty sure you can change one of the settings to not have the game generate elders I think. Yeah I like family trees too. I just wish the culling for them would go away and relationships could be expanded more for family trees. Like the Sims 3 family tree with very detailed with half siblings and step-siblings and great relationships and in-law relationships. I just wish the Sims 4 was a bit more detailed than that with relationships.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited April 2016
    Hey Drowssap - saw you posting and figured I'd just say Hi -

Also I feel your pain with Sims 4 - I give up and just prefer to play Sims 2 and Sims 3 now - untiil they get the kinks out, and lack of family play corrected - like the vanquished toddlers in this game. I just can't find any enjoyment in it at all. I have tried each pack and several of their challenges - trying hard to like it - and it is just too blah for me either. So I agree with you - it just isn't any fun in Sims 4 ( for me anyway) - not after having all the greatness of Sims 2 and Sims 3 -

You take care - though - hugs to you.... Reggie.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    Cristal_SwanCristal_Swan Posts: 234 Member
    I too dislike how difficult it can be to kill sims sometimes :( I more often than not always have to end up using a cheat.
  • Options
    FallenPrinceFallenPrince Posts: 928 Member
    I hate the fact that it is hard to kill sims. I am a storyteller, so I always have a storyline going and and I created multiple sims that were supposed to be distant relatives- and I had to kill some of them (because I wanted a family tree). I spent like three hours trying to burn them- I tried everything, carpets near fireplace and etc. I ended up using cheats- and even with cheats I discovered that I cannot instantly kill my sims frome lectricity and etc- it just gives you a buff and I had to wait for electronics to break so my simc an repair them.
    I miss story progression a lot myself. I wish developers could bring storyboard back and attraction system. SIms 4 is a great game- I love it very much, but there are things that need to be added.
  • Options
    AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    Yeah, they are pretty hard to kill. Thinking back, I think I've only killed maybe 2-3 sims. :(
  • Options
    Simmer_KatSimmer_Kat Posts: 103 Member
    @drowssap that is what I always say: the game shouldn't need to be modded to have things that should have been included in the base game or patches. I'm like you I like to play with one family and I like to create a lot of my sims to replace households so I couldn't play without story progression because I wasn't going to actually be playing those households. At least mods are so much easier to add in the Sims 4!
  • Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    @drowssap, I remember you very well from TS3, you made some of the most adorable beachy homes. I'm glad to see you are having fun building in 4 and from what I can see you are still a wonderful builder. I hope you find the fun again with simming, the immersion and the pure joy of playing. Best wishes!
  • Options
    SimsFanatic2688SimsFanatic2688 Posts: 222 Member
    Thats a really cool build!!
  • Options
    PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    I know of three mods that will kill a Sim and all of them are at MOTS A suicide mod, Clown Debug and MC Command Center. The suicide and MC mod, they just fall and die. The debug one lets you choose their death. Before I tried those it was extremely hard to kill a sim.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • Options
    Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member

I use this too & love it. With story progression, it keeps my towns thriving. & you're right, it does flag everything as modded even though there's no CC. That's the only down side.