Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Expensive Starter Homes

Comments

• Options
    MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,177 Member
    @NoWayJose527 What exactly do you call mid-range? I have builds in all price ranges, listed per price catgory in my showcase thread. The list isn't entirely up to date, but aside from my neighbourhood redevelopment project (which also has a variety of prices) and some community lots I haven't built many homes since last updating that list.
    I have these Victorian style family homes that come in a price range of 90.000-150.000 (definitely doable if you play on the long life span).
    59vtd1.png
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    I agree with @NoWayJose527, there isn't that much choice in mid-range budget family houses (3 bedrooms around 40K for example).

Is there a hashtag for that type of houses by the way ?
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    A Starter House is a House a Sim right out of CAS can move into without added money. - to me.

I like making Starters, mainly because I want them ready if I need them and sometimes I don't want to build when I start a new game. I also don't know how much a family of 4 gets out of CAS because I seem to like to start with one Sim. I need to make a Family of 4 to find out and then start- 4 Sim Starter House. XD
  • Options
    Sweet_ItalySweet_Italy Posts: 898 Member
    edited April 2016
    Piperbird wrote: »
    I love to make starter homes. It is a real challenge to make something cute, not boxy, with everything a Sim just starting out might need, and stay under that 20K budget! A huge chunk of that money always goes to a good bed. I think the very most important thing a Sim needs during the first few weeks of a new game is a good bed.

Lol, the very most important thing anybody needs is a good bed. We spend 1/3 of our life sleeping, investing in a good bed is almost a necessity... Its just a shame they are so expensive!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Twitch: Sweet_Italy ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Gallery: Sweet_Italy~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Check out my Showcase Thread!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Options
    MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,177 Member
    Neia wrote: »
    I agree with @NoWayJose527, there isn't that much choice in mid-range budget family houses (3 bedrooms around 40K for example).

Not sure if there's a particular hashtag for that. But since reading a certain discussion on Gallery hashtag search a while ago, I always use #under--K. With the lines being whatever the build costs, including the lot I originally built it on, rounded of to 5K. Not sure if anyone else does that though. So my under 10K starter uses #under10K my most recent build uses #under35K - that's a two bedroom by the way, but you can convert the home office to a third bedroom if you like.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited April 2016
    @Rflong7 It's 20K for the first sim plus 2K for every additional sim (not sure about babies but you can't make them in CAS anyway).

If you make enough space/beds for 2 adults and a child, you could use the budget of 24K and I'd consider it a starter (full capacity).

I use hashtags like #familyof4 to show the capacity because you may have more than one bed/sim per room.
  • Options
    RARAWRARAW Posts: 863 Member
    Apparently it is a starter home for motherlode.
    tumblr_n5dt2fzXjY1s7xoeto1_500.gif
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited April 2016
    @EmmaVane wrote: »
    @Rflong7 It's 20K for the first sim plus 2K for every additional sim (not sure about babies but you can't make them in CAS anyway).

If you make enough space/beds for 2 adults and a child, you could use the budget of 24K and I'd consider it a starter (full capacity).

I use hashtags like #familyof4 to show the capacity because you may have more than one bed/sim per room.

Thanks! I'll save the information. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    NoWayJose527NoWayJose527 Posts: 1,456 Member
    @MDianaSanders As @Neia also mentioned, there's a need for 3-bedroom homes around 40,000 simoleons. That's about all my families can afford after the children come along. They need more room, but sometimes it's hard to find homes that meet their needs -- and mine.
  • Options
    Neia wrote: »

Not sure if there's a particular hashtag for that. But since reading a certain discussion on Gallery hashtag search a while ago, I always use #under--K. With the lines being whatever the build costs, including the lot I originally built it on, rounded of to 5K. Not sure if anyone else does that though. So my under 10K starter uses #under10K my most recent build uses #under35K - that's a two bedroom by the way, but you can convert the home office to a third bedroom if you like.
    EmmaVane wrote: »

ooh, these are both really good ideas.. i think i'll start using these.... ugh, i'd love to add these to my already uploaded houses without removing then reuploading...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Twitch: Sweet_Italy ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Gallery: Sweet_Italy~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Check out my Showcase Thread!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Options
    @NoWayJose527 What exactly do you call mid-range? I have builds in all price ranges, listed per price catgory in my showcase thread. The list isn't entirely up to date, but aside from my neighbourhood redevelopment project (which also has a variety of prices) and some community lots I haven't built many homes since last updating that list.
    I have these Victorian style family homes that come in a price range of 90.000-150.000 (definitely doable if you play on the long life span).
    59vtd1.png

I checked out your thread. You have 1 4-bedroom home in the range I'm looking for. I'm glad to find it. I just wish there were more.
  • Options
    @NoWayJose527 i'm not sure what your price range is, but i have a 4bed at under 75K...

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/14680581/#Comment_14680581
  • Options
    Jesf8312 wrote: »
    @NoWayJose527 i'm not sure what your price range is, but i have a 4bed at under 75K...

How far under? LOL. My families are usually needing 3-4 bedroom homes around 40-45,000 simoleons. 75 thousand is way out of their price range. These are young couples who are just starting families. They're not making much money, but the 1-2 bedroom starter homes are a bit too small. They're ready to move up -- but not up to a 50,000 + home.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited April 2016
    Xdldl.gif
    Something that has irked me so much. Sometimes I find that the house really is around 20k but they put expensive paintings painted by a sim in the house which skyrockets the price.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options

How far under? LOL. My families are usually needing 3-4 bedroom homes around 40-45,000 simoleons. 75 thousand is way out of their price range. These are young couples who are just starting families. They're not making much money, but the 1-2 bedroom starter homes are a bit too small. They're ready to move up -- but not up to a 50,000 + home.

oh, haha, like 74,800. so way out of your price range. lol

i didn't realize there was such a need for those cheaper homes. I kind of want to build a bunch of houses now that will fit that. I just finished a little build project of mine and needed another one... looks like making homes on a budget is going to be it!!
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,567 Member
    My families are usually needing 3-4 bedroom homes around 40-45,000 simoleons. 75 thousand is way out of their price range. These are young couples who are just starting families. They're not making much money, but the 1-2 bedroom starter homes are a bit too small. They're ready to move up -- but not up to a 50,000 + home.
    I am currently filling up all my hoods to make a 'base game' starter to use for all my games. I have tried to have an area in each hood for starters, one for the next slot up (as detailed by you) and one for the slightly more expensive.

But you are right, it is very difficult to find them. Heaps of starters, then heaps of mega expensive mansions, not much in-between and certainly not under 50K.

The price brackets on the gallery make it easier to look, but I never see all choices there. It certainly doesn't bring up ALL houses in the 20K-40K range if that is what is asked for. By now, there ought to be pages and pages of them, I get one page which is not very long.

But I never see expensive 'starter' homes on there as I always search using the price brackets anyway.
  • Options
    AvaTheSimmer123AvaTheSimmer123 Posts: 52 Member
    Ikr I always see lovely homes and I get so excited to download it and play in it, but then my jaw drops to the ground when I see the price. Very sad and selfish that people have to label their creations to false things to grab people's attention.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,567 Member
    One other thing I personally find annoying is when you are looking through starters (with the budget tab) and you see an awesome looking home for under 20K... then you click on it and find out it is an empty shell. Grrrr.......!! It's not going to be a starter home once you've paid for the furniture, is it? (And sometimes you even need to put in dividing walls for rooms).
  • Options

oh, haha, like 74,800. so way out of your price range. lol

i didn't realize there was such a need for those cheaper homes. I kind of want to build a bunch of houses now that will fit that. I just finished a little build project of mine and needed another one... looks like making homes on a budget is going to be it!!

I'm sure a lot of simmers will appreciate it. Some of us like to keep things somewhat realistic. Our sim households are indeed on tight budgets and can only dream of big homes. They work hard to make ends meet. There's definitely a market for affordable homes for new families. Thanks!

• Options
    edited April 2016
    hey! good news! i was going to get started on this starter home and mid-range houses project, and i found a house i built that i had totally forgotten about! i made a few changes and uploaded it. It's $38,600 ($40,600 with lot price) 5 beds, 2 baths... i build it to go in the default empty lot in the BFF neighborhood in Willow Creek... so the first pictures shows the side of the house, thats just because i feel the front of the lot is the long side, when the game says it's the short side, but whatevs... hopefully this will be what some of you are looking for!

https://www.thesims.com/gallery/FE5E1EA3FC2B11E580A23488E20872CE?category=all&searchtype=ea_origin_id&sortby=newest&time=all&searchquery=Jesf8312&max=50&maxis=false
    Post edited by Sweet_Italy on
  • Options
    PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,161 Member
    Sounds like we need to make an under 20K starter home challenge! :)

Here are some of my under 20K houses:

06-28-15_7-37nbspPM_zps4gkl3bm2.png
    06-28-15_7-38nbspPM_zpssne9i3rh.png

07-06-15_8-19nbspPM_zpsomgo8upj.png

[img]http://i1371.photobucket.com/albums/ag300/Liz_Amsden/🐸🐸🐸🐸%20Wagon/06-08-15_5-28nbspPM_zpsv2kuppmv.png[/img]
    [img]http://i1371.photobucket.com/albums/ag300/Liz_Amsden/🐸🐸🐸🐸%20Wagon/06-08-15_5-29nbspPM-2_zpsfhjavhnc.png[/img]

04-22-15_5-42nbspPM_zps7ecswcha.png

05-08-15_2-26nbspPM_zpstkdqpzox.png

They are VERY fun to build!
    Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png
  • Options
    SlawfishSlawfish Posts: 431 Member
    I don't make starter homes very often, but I do believe I have tagged "expensive" houses as starter homes if they are affordable under 20k when unfurnished.
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I've built a lot of small, starter homes on 20x15 lots. I tend to over decorate so the price goes up. Feel free to download any of my lots (#dannydanbo) or anyone's lots in map mode and remove stuff until the price drops. Or just place the house with no décor at all and add what you like when your sim can afford it. I have no problem with players changing my builds to suit their needs (however, please do not redownload without giving me credit). Good luck and happy simming.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    An under 40 or 50k family housing challenge could be good too!!
  • Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    I can't deal with starter homes. I just create and fully furnish the house I want them to live in, put them in an empty lot, give them the amount of money to buy the house plus a couple of thousand to take care of the first bills then move them in.
    Gallery ID: babysquare