Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Expensive Starter Homes

124...Next

Comments

• Options
    kingkong192kingkong192 Posts: 953 Member
    I tend to make mine a bit expensive sorry :p . But I never label them as starter homes, I actually don't label them anything except the address.
  • Options
    Sweet_ItalySweet_Italy Posts: 898 Member
    @Audio_5urf. I can't wait to see what you do for the affordable family housing challenge!!

While I am one to build without limits when I build for myself, and often upload those lots (though they are incredibly plain in comparison to a lot of other builds out there) I like the challenge of building and being creative within a set of constraints, and it seems that there are a number of simmers out there who appreciate the variety. one type of build style will not work for everyone, that's why it's great we have the gallery and the forums to find like-minded builders and players to help us find what we're looking for.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Twitch: Sweet_Italy ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Gallery: Sweet_Italy~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Check out my Showcase Thread!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Options
    Audio_5urfAudio_5urf Posts: 655 Member
    eh, i may have to put off that challenge. Just started The Legacy Challenge as a break from my main save.
    Lets make The Sims 4 great again!
    -- Origin ID: Audio5urf --
    Feel free to add me, and check out my gallery shenanigans.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I love finding good starter homes -- yes, under 20,000 simoleons -- in the Gallery. It's amazing to see what creative builders can do. My pet peeve with homes in the Gallery has always been the dearth of mid-range homes. Builders, it seems, either want to do the tiny starter homes, or go all out and build mansions. Most of my sims are ordinary working people who'll never be able to afford a mansion. But after the kids come along, they need bigger homes. Adding on sometimes works, but it isn't always an option. I wish I could find more variety in 3 and 4 bedroom homes at a reasonable price -- one a typical sim family can afford.

Okay, saw you're looking for something in the 40K or so range; I'll keep that in mind as I'm currently working on a house so when I go to furnish it and do the landscaping I'll try to keep it reasonable. It has a small unfinished basement for future expansion as families get more money -- put in a home gym or maybe a playroom for the kids.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    Xdldl.gif
    Something that has irked me so much. Sometimes I find that the house really is around 20k but they put expensive paintings painted by a sim in the house which skyrockets the price.

You can put the building on a lot unfurnished to see what the price actually is, then furnish it yourself to match your Sim's budget. I tend to go light on decor in my builds so that players can add their own.
  • Options
    One other thing I personally find annoying is when you are looking through starters (with the budget tab) and you see an awesome looking home for under 20K... then you click on it and find out it is an empty shell. Grrrr.......!! It's not going to be a starter home once you've paid for the furniture, is it? (And sometimes you even need to put in dividing walls for rooms).

Some of those houses work for Sims who are moving from an existing home and already have furniture, skill objects, etc. so they don't need to duplicate, especially couples that might have been in a starter home but are now expecting their first child so need a bigger place soon.
  • Options
    Mchap353 wrote: »
    I sometimes buy a tent, make a small bathroom and start that way. It was a way suggested in part by a Maxis guru for making quick money in the original Sims game. You bought the computer to get the job and sold it again.

In Sims 4, you don't even need the computer to get a job -- you can find a job on your phone. If it's a job that requires using a computer outside of work hours, like writing or programming, the computers at the library are free as long as you can find an available one (I've usually added a few extra just to help), and you can add other skill-building items to community lots (musical instruments, telescope, etc.).
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,408 Member
    You can set separately in the search functions how expensive you want the lot to be. I usually make starters under 20k, but I have a couple 40k family starters because if you move two sims together then that's how much you have with no cheats. It's also fun trying to build sligthly bigger, but still budget homes.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    It's always a challenge in TS4 to make starter homes. The most expensive starter I have made is about 30,000 with furniture I think. In TS2 you could buy A LOT of cute stuff with the 20,000. Like A LOT. In TS4 if you want something kind of proper looking it's either too expensive or not in the game.

But yes, 100,000 for a starter house is a robbery, that or motherlode.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1