Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Issue with game freezing

Comments

• Options
    Minimagic782Minimagic782 Posts: 72 Member
    edited March 2016
    Well an update, I threw a bit of a strop with my game so uninstalled and reinstalled yesterday, with 3 less stuff packs and a lot less store cc, I then did all of the above steps, including adding my graphics card to the graphics rules, which means deviceconfig is now recognizing it. I tried to play this afternoon, it froze up twice in create a sim, but the second time I didn't have to shut the laptop down to get out of my game and on the third occasion, success, I managed to play for 4 hours solid, so I will have to see how we go, think its going to be a hit and miss thing really.

One thing I did notice was that although Vsync is on and my refresh rate is set to 60hz, I put FPS on and was running between 30 and 200 fps, it did seem to try and settle at between 160 - 175, until I moved house and then it seemed to drop and was running more at 115 ish. Is this too high? and if so is there anything else I that can try and do to make it lower? I'm playing in fullscreen mode with advanced rendering off and object hiding on, all settings are on low.

Sorry it's taken so long to let you know how things have been going, due to RL, I've not really been able to do much gameplay.

P.S Just want to say thankyou to Igazor, Phobebebe13 and Rulerkelso for your advice and for Rosemow for posting this for me.
    Post edited by Minimagic782 on
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    Well an update, I threw a bit of a strop with my game so uninstalled and reinstalled yesterday, with 3 less stuff packs and a lot less store cc, I then did all of the above steps, including adding my graphics card to the graphics rules, which means deviceconfig is now recognizing it. I tried to play this afternoon, it froze up twice in create a sim, but the second time I didn't have to shut the laptop down to get out of my game and on the third occasion, success, I managed to play for 4 hours solid, so I will have to see how we go, think its going to be a hit and miss thing really.

One thing I did notice was that although Vsync is on and my refresh rate is set to 60hz, I put FPS on and was running between 30 and 200 fps, it did seem to try and settle at between 160 - 175, until I moved house and then it seemed to drop and was running more at 115 ish. Is this too high? and if so is there anything else I that can try and do to make it lower? I'm playing in fullscreen mode with advanced rendering off and object hiding on, all settings are on low.

Sorry it's taken so long to let you know how things have been going, due to RL, I've not really been able to do much gameplay.

P.S Just want to say thankyou to Igazor, Phobebebe13 and Rulerkelso for your advice and for Rosemow for posting this for me.

Your welcome. Are you playing in full screen mode? Your fps should be at 60. Anything higher can be damaging to your video card
  • Options
    Hi Phoebe,

Yep am in full screen when playing, nvidia panel set to vysync on and even set intel to 60, in game set to 60hz, but in game running at above so not sure if you can suggest anything else to try and get it lower?
  • Options
    Hi Phoebe,

Yep am in full screen when playing, nvidia panel set to vysync on and even set intel to 60, in game set to 60hz, but in game running at above so not sure if you can suggest anything else to try and get it lower?

I have a laptop but my intel is disabled while yours is not. My laptop came with intel disabled. @chesterbigbird would be the better person to ask since you have dual cards.
  • Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    Reinstall drivers. o:)
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Reinstall drivers. o:)

Its different on the laptop with two video cards, why I need chester with this one.

You also dont just tell someone to reinstall their drivers without giving them instructions how to do so . They need to do a clean uninstall and then reinstall
  • Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    Its different on the laptop with two video cards, why I need chester with this one.

You also dont just tell someone to reinstall their drivers without giving them instructions how to do so . They need to do a clean uninstall and then reinstall

Sorry. D:

I am not one that is good at explaining things. D:
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    Hi Phoebebebe,

Sorry to ask, do you need me to check with chesterbigbird, if so what would be the best way to get hold of them?

Kind Regards

Minimagic782 :smiley:
  • Options
    Hi Phoebebebe,

Sorry to ask, do you need me to check with chesterbigbird, if so what would be the best way to get hold of them?

Kind Regards

Minimagic782 :smiley:

Chester was on vacation she just got back and will be on the forum later. She is on a different time zone. You can send her a pm and she will answer you. Send message through her profile http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/profile/chesterbigbird
  • Options
    Thanks phoebe, will drop her a message :smiley:
  • Options
    GunsofthePatriotsGunsofthePatriots Posts: 19 New Member
    I'm having a weird issue with game freezes on savegame load, and was wondering if anyone had similar experiences?

With new games I can play reasonably smoothly - a full year's in-game time, then finished a University degree, all for three Sims in the household.

I get occasional instances where the game stutters or freezes for about 1 minute at most, before resuming to run smoothly.

But roughly after the above period, I get issues where the game freezes and hangs indefinitely when I'm trying to save.

The first time, I tried Save and Quit - the game hanged and I had to do a Task Manager Delete process. When I subsequently tried to load the savegame, the game loads on a frozen savegame (like paused without ability to unpause).

Second restart of the game (from scratch), I played more carefully, saving often and not using the Save Game and Quit function. I also took care to delete Featured Items and run CCleaner etc (basically all tips online on running the game smoothly).

However, after a reasonably similar game period passed, I saved the game okay, but when I Quit the game, it hangs again. Ending Process and a reload of the savegame loads into a similar frozen game screen.

I have a pretty high end specc'ed PC that can run games like Witcher 3 on max quality.

I have a number of the EP but not all: WA, LN, Pets, University, Amb, Seasons, Future.

I also have quite a bit of furniture and clothing mods from the TSR.

I have all EPs enabled and run the game on full screen with 2560x1080.

I'm really hoping I don't have to gamble with a third restart >.<
  • Options
    I'm having a weird issue with game freezes on savegame load, and was wondering if anyone had similar experiences?

With new games I can play reasonably smoothly - a full year's in-game time, then finished a University degree, all for three Sims in the household.

I get occasional instances where the game stutters or freezes for about 1 minute at most, before resuming to run smoothly.

But roughly after the above period, I get issues where the game freezes and hangs indefinitely when I'm trying to save.

The first time, I tried Save and Quit - the game hanged and I had to do a Task Manager Delete process. When I subsequently tried to load the savegame, the game loads on a frozen savegame (like paused without ability to unpause).

Second restart of the game (from scratch), I played more carefully, saving often and not using the Save Game and Quit function. I also took care to delete Featured Items and run CCleaner etc (basically all tips online on running the game smoothly).

However, after a reasonably similar game period passed, I saved the game okay, but when I Quit the game, it hangs again. Ending Process and a reload of the savegame loads into a similar frozen game screen.

I have a pretty high end specc'ed PC that can run games like Witcher 3 on max quality.

I have a number of the EP but not all: WA, LN, Pets, University, Amb, Seasons, Future.

I also have quite a bit of furniture and clothing mods from the TSR.

I have all EPs enabled and run the game on full screen with 2560x1080.

I'm really hoping I don't have to gamble with a third restart >.<

what video card/cards do you have have AMD or Nvidia? The game wont work on dual cards, you would have to disable one if you have 2. If you only have one card is it strong enough to game in a higher resolution than 1080p? You may have to lower your resolution. The game also has no fps limiter so vertical sync is a must .
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    @GunsofthePatriots - In addition to checking out your video card config as @phoebebebe13 suggests, which is really important, it sounds to me like you are suffering from ongoing games that work correctly in the beginning but get choked up with impossible to see clutter and broken situations behind the scenes after a certain point. This is very common. If not averse to using mods, NRaas Overwatch and ErrorTrap will go a long way to clean this kind of thing up and point out game breaking errors as they happen that would otherwise get in the way of being able play such saves forward.
    http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Tips+For+Better+Game+Performance
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    Hi All,

Well just an update, FPS issue is now resolved thanks to @chesterbigbird, however the freezing bug still seems to be hanging around, tried to play today, got 15 mins game play, freeze, so had to force a restart, loaded up, about 5 to 10 mins game play then froze again and once again had to forcere-start as ctrl-alt-del would not active, so I thought we'd try for 3rd time lucky as this seemed to work once before and I got a full four hours solid gameplay whilst trying to resolve the fps issue, but nope, not on this round, 15 mins in and we freeze up again.

I have been playing with the Wi-fi turned off to stop anything in the back ground trying to download updates, my graphics card has been updated to the latest update. I don't use the launcher to play either.

I'm beginning to think that I should just take it as it comes and just play when it decides to play lol, but thought I would let peeps know how things are going and just to say once again a huge thank you to @phoebebebe13 and @igazor for their help. Might look into uninstalling a few more ep's and sp's, will have a hunt round the forums as to what each includes and get rid of the ones that don't include things I tend to use in my gameplay.

Kind Regards

Minimagic782
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    @Minimagic782

What world are you playing? Is it winter in your game because heavy snow will freeze up your game Do you use mods? Mods may help but you need @igazor for that

• Options
    OP already has Overwatch. And DebugEnabler, but that one isn't going to help here. I would recommend adding ErrorTrap back in (though they didn't seem to like it much before) and MasterController to do a MC Reset Everything from City Hall on the world being played.

But if exactly the same issues occur on a freshly started game in a known to be usually safe to play world like Sunset Valley, Riverview, or Twinbrook, then the cause really can't be ongoing game bloat and unresolved saved game specific issues. It might be worth testing to find out, though.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Hi everyone, am on my phone so please excuses any errors, I've been playing in sunset valley, have got Errortrap reinstalled and have a saved error script thingy if anyone can translate for me if that can shed any further light. Will have a look at MC. I did try a vanilla game a while back and that worked, no freezes. The one I'm playing was a new start, it froze twice and then played for four hours the last time I played and then today no more than 15mins before a freeze so I'm not sure if its just a hit and miss thing or something hiding in the background causing the freezes that I just cant find.

Sorry to keep pestering, not sure what else to try, am on the verge of doing a complete factory reset of my laptop to see if this resolves anything, doesn't help that my old hp is still running the Sims, with three eps and hasnt froze once, which my darling daughter keeps reminding me of lol

• Options
    The way to get assistance in interpreting NRaas script logs like those from ErrorTrap is upload them to our site, not here, and open a support thread. We would be happy to take a look and tell you if anything seems amiss.

http://nraas.wikispaces.com/How+To+Upload
    (free registration required to upload and post)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    Thanks igazor, will have a look into when I get home :)
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Hi @igazor

I've been on to the website and posted, I hope I've done it ok, will look into to downloading MC and trying that possibly tomorrow or at the weekend, thank you for your help.

Kind Regards

Minimagic782

:smiley:
  • Options
    I've already responded to your post at NRaas. That log isn't indicating anything troublesome, I'm afraid it's just a routine correction log that we all get from ErrorTrap periodically.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    Thanks @igazor :)
  • Options
    AxelTaylor01AxelTaylor01 Posts: 389 Member
    edited March 2016
    Hi, I'm just going to put my two cents in here. I have a GT 650m and had a lot of trouble with my game, ended up having to get a new pc, but I did get another year of life out of it with the Sims 3 by downloading nvidia inspector (v-sync would not work even when on), and setting fps at 58 (fps where always 2 higher than set when in game). It didn't eliminate all freezing and lag, but it certainly helped. I also was able to play with all expansions and stuff packs and my store content, so I don't know if its any help, but maybe op should fiddle around with inspector and see if it helps.
    Post edited by AxelTaylor01 on
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Well I'm just checking in, have been able to play for quite a while over the last few days, though only after an initial freeze up after 20mins, then I restarted the game (didn't need to fully restart laptop to shut game down), and managed to get at least 2 or 3 hours in. Have installed and used @igazor's suggestion of MC and it reset over 15,700 items.

So think we are doing ok at the no, can tolerate the initial freeze, would love to find out what is causing it, but since I can get a few hours game play in afterwards, it's not such a huge problem anymore.

Once again my thanks to @igazor, @phoebebebe13 and @chesterbigbird for all your help and hints.

Kind regards

Minimagic782

:smiley:

@AxelTaylor01 Hi, have got Nvidia inspector downloaded, so will have a look at tomorrow and see what I can do, did try and follow a YouTube tutorial but got a bit stuck as what was on the tutorial wasn't on the version I had downloaded but thanks for your advise :smiley: