Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Which graphic style do you prefer Sims 3 or 4?

Comments

• Options
    fxchrfxchrfxchrfxchr Posts: 329 Member
    edited March 2016
    I never got into Pokemon

Wrong thread. Take a left turn then look for the appropriate thread.

really? isn't that the way Sims 4 is leaning?

Don't even think of starting a flame war.

many people have said it looks like My Sims, and they provided pictures, which is a Japanese cartoon style art, like Pokemon, and the art style is what this thread is about. The title of this thread is: WHICH GRAPHIC STYLE DO YOU PREFER SIMS 3 OR 4?

Uhmm..

As a fan of pokemon sims 4 looks nothing like it.

I agree that Pokemon isn't the right comparison but I think he's trying to say that TS4 is more cartoonish in style than TS4. Just as some people prefer more "realistic" anime compared to other styles of anime.
    Firby nurbs!
  • Options
    GITTE2001GITTE2001 Posts: 2,638 Member
    fxchrfxchr wrote: »
    I never got into Pokemon

Wrong thread. Take a left turn then look for the appropriate thread.

really? isn't that the way Sims 4 is leaning?

Don't even think of starting a flame war.

many people have said it looks like My Sims, and they provided pictures, which is a Japanese cartoon style art, like Pokemon, and the art style is what this thread is about. The title of this thread is: WHICH GRAPHIC STYLE DO YOU PREFER SIMS 3 OR 4?

Uhmm..

As a fan of pokemon sims 4 looks nothing like it.

I agree that Pokemon isn't the right comparison but I think he's trying to say that TS4 is more cartoonish in style than TS4. Just as some people prefer more "realistic" anime compared to other styles of anime.

*TS3 for the second one
  • Options
    BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
    TS4 doesn't look like anime to me. I play Pokemon and there's nothing similar in the art styles. TS4 looks more like art from the 1950s and before, which if what one "guru" said is true is exactly what it was designed after.
    Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    In terms of graphics that goes to TS3 hands down without a doubt.
    In terms of art style which are two different things in my opinion... TS4 art style fits the nature of sims better. (cartoony)
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    I think blunt negative is all TS4 deserves. It's a shell of a game with a hideous art style. People love to throw the word "stylised" around, but it isn't even that. It's just cheap, plastic and nasty.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    DivinylsFanDivinylsFan Posts: 1,278 Member
    edited March 2016
    To me it looks like it's leaning towards anime, especially with the terrain and flora looking just like My Sims, as though it's trying to compete with anime, a popular style with nothing wrong with it, but I've believed Sims has it's own style and even genre, you may disagree, which pulls it's fans more than well enough without taking from other semi-mass or mass markets. It was or is supposed to be the number one selling game, they shouldn't need to be doing that.

yes that was my meaning, Pokemon being an exaggeration.
    I remember you from university, I still have your story.
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    To me it looks like it's leaning towards anime, especially with the terrain and flora looking just like My Sims, as though it's trying to compete with anime, a popular style with nothing wrong with it, but I've believed Sims has it's own style and even genre, you may disagree, which pulls it's fans more than well enough without taking from other semi-mass or mass markets. It was or is supposed to be the number one selling game, they shouldn't need to be doing that.

The sims has always been cartoony..
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    mmoblitzmmoblitz Posts: 479 Member
    I like sims 3 style over sims 4. I don't like the cartoonish feel of the art in sims 4, though it fits with sims 4 I think. Look at the two games and how they play, then try to picture them with the art styles of the games switched. For me, it just wouldn't fit on how the games play.
  • Options
    KatNipKatNip Posts: 1,067 Member
    @KatNipples I have Richonne (Rick + Michonne) still on the brain, and looking at your sig. I'm like: "Oh, look. It's Rick spinning Michonne around!" *gets the warm and fuzzies* smh ROFL You probably have no idea who I'm talking about.

Lol! I don't know who that is. What show/movie?
  • Options
    KatNipKatNip Posts: 1,067 Member
    mmoblitz wrote: »
    I like sims 3 style over sims 4. I don't like the cartoonish feel of the art in sims 4, though it fits with sims 4 I think. Look at the two games and how they play, then try to picture them with the art styles of the games switched. For me, it just wouldn't fit on how the games play.

Agreed. It would bug me completely.
  • Options
    Dylan.WalshDylan.Walsh Posts: 115 Member

I love the Sims 3 and if you have mods like sliders, lighting, fixes and a great system The Sims 3 just droop The Sims 4 out of the wagon.

12794901_1715946481980989_2870279215512560305_o.jpg

12513904_1722401094668861_5118873066998652004_o.jpg

12795043_1722401298002174_6174137442341489256_o.jpg

1909389_1722401428002161_5890521388229593459_o.jpg

• Options
    candy8candy8 Posts: 3,815 Member
    I have SIms4 the graphics are better for the Sims themselves their clothing and hair, but the rest of the graphics is poor. The background is of poor quality not like in Sims3 which is much better in Sms 4 the scenery looks amateurish and the furniture is boring not much detail. I think the Sims 4 team was focusing on the Sims themselves and not much else.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member

Not to the same extent as they are now I think. They were really funny in 1 and 2, but that's not necessarily cartoony. I always said 'and they're not funny in 3', but I must say - now that I pay a bit more attention to things like that, due to what's said on these forums - I find myself laughing about my sims in 3 as well and quite a lot too. In Sims 3 the laughter is caused by the fact you don't really expect it (because they're basically a bit more serious). But being cartoony seems to be more present in Sims 4. It's in their overall behaviour and in the art style.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    alliehuealliehue Posts: 16 Member
    I prefer S3 graphics over S4. It's been a few years since I played S4, i went back to S3 the month after I purchased S4, it had to do with how the sims were just not as 'Real' as their predecessors.
  • Options
    FairyLights1FairyLights1 Posts: 759 Member
    sims 4 has really pretty landscapes (if they were more than just a fake background that would be great). But as for Sims look themselves, I prefer 3, cause the sims look different from each other. In 4, their faces are too bright, I can't see the details I made in CAS, and, they all look the same, cause they have basically the same 3, or 4 facial expressions..

4 stinks.
  • Options
    I prefer this style:
    es90xx.jpg
    Firby nurbs!
  • Options
    BrianAndreeBrianAndree Posts: 422 Member
    edited April 2016
    And 3's Sim structure is pretty realistic too.

ozLqJwh.jpg
    k9Jn9pn.jpg
    SnSSWmB.jpg
    Z07yT6S.jpg
    Q9LPIXv.jpg
    xQ27Z9n.jpg

^ Yes, the above photos are edited too, and my Sims are obviously covered in tons of CC, but I'm mainly focusing on the Sims here and showing the flexibility of TS3.

What is that CC hair on the girls? I love it
    Post edited by BrianAndree on
    Orgin: BrianAndree
  • Options
    AntiSocialSim72AntiSocialSim72 Posts: 186 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Not to the same extent as they are now I think. They were really funny in 1 and 2, but that's not necessarily cartoony. I always said 'and they're not funny in 3', but I must say - now that I pay a bit more attention to things like that, due to what's said on these forums - I find myself laughing about my sims in 3 as well and quite a lot too. In Sims 3 the laughter is caused by the fact you don't really expect it (because they're basically a bit more serious). But being cartoony seems to be more present in Sims 4. It's in their overall behaviour and in the art style.

OMG someone else said it!! FINALLY!!

Seriously, look back at the graphics for the other games, keeping in mind when they were made. I'm not going to post any pictures because I have better things to do and you can easily find them yourselves, but they are not cartoony they way 4 is! They might not have been uber realistic, but keeping in mind the graphics of the tims they have always been realistic. The actions and gameplay were (are) often funny, and could be seen as cartoony, but not the graphics. Saying the graphics of 4 are fitting because "Sims has always been cartoony" is missing the point entirely.

Personal preferences aside, this argument holds zero water and is one of my personal peeves. I can't speak to which graphics are technically better since I don't have access to the raw graphics files for 4 (but comments from CC creators lead me to belive that whether you prefer 4 or not they are not better technology-wise) but I can say with abolute certainty that the style of 4 is far different from the other 3. Personally, I don't believe the graphics should have changed to "match" the actions, it's part of what puts the game into over-the-top, annoying, childish cartoonishness. Those funny actions from the previous 3 games were funny in part because the sims themselves were realistic.

I despise the look of 4. I've never watched a Pixar movie (I adore them, FWIW) and thought to myself "Hey that's what my Sims should look like, only with worse texture and shadowing!"
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Personally, I don't believe the graphics should have changed to "match" the actions, it's part of what puts the game into over-the-top, annoying, childish cartoonishness. Those funny actions from the previous 3 games were funny in part because the sims themselves were realistic.

I agree - the actions and colouring of TS4 make me think they were originally trying for a mobile version of the game as these need to be over-exaggerated and bold to be seen on a 4 inch screen. But after the fiasco of Simcity they changed their minds about the mobile part but were stuck with the original graphics design due to time and budget constraints. There's nothing subtle about TS4 which is maybe why some people like it more but, like you, I think "realistic" sims are funnier (and funner!) than a caricature that tries to be funny.

Firby nurbs!
  • Options
    AntoninkoAntoninko Posts: 4 New Member
    well , i need to chose 3 or 4 ... so 3 .
    but if i could chose every sims i would chose 2
  • Options
    Kylieb191Kylieb191 Posts: 4,653 Member
    Sims 3 for definite as I like the more realistic look
    Friends?: http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/Kylierose19
    Proud member of the "I own the store" club
    Zpj9msL.png
    The real me:https://twitter.com/CupidStupidLov3
  • Options
    CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    edited July 2016
    Sims 3 Sims just look freaking good even without CC,look at ones from 4 and honestly they need it.The hairs are really bad looking "All my opinion fact and opinion are 2 different things".Straight vanilla right out the gate 3 has a huge advantage already in sims looks.

This is a EA made sim using EA hair EA clothes her default hair color and default makeup..no CC period no editing on my photo.Compare that to a Sim from the 4th installment.Peep the detail on clothing it too already has an advantage.

Screenshot-3709_zpsgwp01jja.jpg

Graphically love three sims 4 may have pretty backdrops in some cases but these are just illusions kind of like the fake stickers on the back of a fish tank to make it look like a ocean even though it is a square glass box.

I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    ... these are just illusions kind of like the fake stickers on the back of a fish tank to make it look like a ocean even though it is a square glass box.

That comparison is almost poetic.
    (love your girl, as ever, beautiful screen)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    @JoAnne65 Thank you that is Lotta Greaves from Bridgeport just toss the India set hair on her and done deal. <3
    I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • Options
    JBalJBal Posts: 74 Member
    This is probably an unpopular opinion, but I prefer the style of The Sims 4 more. Even though I don't play it because I'm very against it and like 3 better, I will admit, to me, 4 has a much better style.