Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Which graphic style do you prefer Sims 3 or 4?

Comments

• mmertormmertor Posts: 186 Member
    Definitely Sims 4. Sims 3 is too gloomy and wow-esque for my taste. My Sims look so unique and full of life now in TS4.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Candyd wrote: »
    It's the essence of the 90s in one song, that's why I love it :D (and my teenage years... Barbie contributed to helping kids lose their innocence LOL !)
    And there I was, thinking Nirvana was the essence of the 90s :D:p
    5JZ57S6.png
  • CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    Teens' weird tastes... This and boys bands :s
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    I love this! It sounds like a question from a college aptitude exam. :p

TS4 is to TS3 as Barbie Girl is to

a) Smells Like Teen Spirit
    b) What is Love? (Baby Don't Hurt Me)
    c) Paradise by the Dashboard Light
    d) Total Eclipse of the Heart
    e) None of the Above
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    igazor wrote: »
    I love this! It sounds like a question from a college aptitude exam. :p

TS4 is to TS3 as Barbie Girl is to

a) Smells Like Teen Spirit
    b) What is Love? (Baby Don't Hurt Me)
    c) Paradise by the Dashboard Light
    d) Total Eclipse of the Heart
    e) None of the Above
    A!!!!!

Thanks for asking B)

5JZ57S6.png
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    @JoAnne65 - Wow, that was...amazing. Until now, this was the version I always preferred. Not the video, it's kind of goofy, I mean to listen to.

And then of course there's this one, some would say more true to the original (don't hate me). :p

o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    @JoAnne65 - Wow, that was...amazing. Until now, this was the version I always preferred. Not the video, it's kind of goofy, I mean to listen to.

And then of course there's this one, some would say more true to the original (don't hate me). :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jogcIm3Ezv4
    edited January 2017
    @igazor Lol, she turned it into disco, not bad. The choir in the only other version I love almost equally as the original because it's so different and reveals the sadness of the song, it sort of serves it (heard it for the first time in Montage of Heck, it's a Belgian choir and it's as if they've sent some angels from heaven to sing it one more time for us :p ). The second one I was familiar with, he did more persiflages back in the day :D
    @phoebebebe13 The arrangement of that one is very loyal to the original :)
    Post edited by JoAnne65 on
    5JZ57S6.png
    @JoAnne65 it is close to the original. So is her version of the Scorpions but I still love her version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qnyW2pWME8
    @phoebebebe13 Amazing voice!
    5JZ57S6.png
    @JoAnne65 agree. :)
  • aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    For the graphics, I prefer TS3. There's much more detail in TS3 than TS4 - I'm not sure that can be denied with TS4 having fake backdrops, wonky bowls, no bark on the trees, plastic clay toupees that is meant to be classed as hair, etc.

For art style, I prefer TS3 as well. Much more detail in Sims, much better textures in furniture, and the worlds are GORGEOUS!

I had to chuckle when I read the comment about TS4 Sims being HIGHLY CUSTOMISABLE; now if that's about the push/pull system, I admit that's pretty darn cool in order to make different body shapes, but still, working with sliders on the face of a Sim can be just as good. I don't think TS4 can beat TS3 on customisation.

The pudding face argument is a bit odd because you can take any Sim into CAS and change them. Also @CravenLestat is a good example of how good some premades can be.

For most of TS3, I've steered clear of CC; however I do now use a default skin, eyes, and eyebrows (and some hair). These are a few of my randomised Sims from CAS without me having touched anything on them:

Screenshot-1490_zpsnslsmtt5.jpg

Screenshot-1468_zpstbjxlkcw.jpg

Screenshot-1457_zpsma4qg1oj.jpg

Screenshot-1475_zpsc8gr53f1.jpg

This is a townie that I made over - he has default skin, eyes, and CC hair and beard:

Before:
    Screenshot-1291_zpsbskh9fek.jpg

After:
    Screenshot-1295_zpshubyyftg.jpg

And this is an elder that I made - skin, eyes, hair and beard:

Screenshot-1327_zpsl3w2bpat.jpg

I don't think any of them look alike.

While I prefer a mostly vanilla game, when it comes to Sims, I prefer the look of TS3 Sims over TS4, but think that the devs could take some tips from CC makers regarding hair, facial hair, and skins.

I prefer the way the builds and interiors look in TS3 and I highly doubt that I could do any of this in TS4:

2b947814-e250-4530-a1c4-30d9842d2148_zpsmjaub5xb.jpg

c899e453-8957-43a6-bc85-4680976ffeca_zpst0lzho3d.jpg

Screenshot-1085_zpsystvr4au.jpg

Screenshot-1083_zpskrczypgv.jpg

• WillowG145WillowG145 Posts: 351 Member
    I think the best style, without mods is the sims medieval: the right amount of realism. but between the sims 3 and 4, my vote is the sims 3. i feel too limited in the sims 4 in hair colour and eyes.
  • Odonata68Odonata68 Posts: 1,076 Member
    edited January 2017
    mmertor wrote: »
    Definitely Sims 4. Sims 3 is too gloomy and wow-esque for my taste. My Sims look so unique and full of life now in TS4.

That's kind of funny. I just played my free version of WoW yesterday for the first time in forever. I started a new character in the Blood Elf area and thought it looked like Sims 4 with the bright colors and no real textures and all. :D

@aricarai great sims! I absolutely love your build! <3
    Odonata68 wrote: »
    mmertor wrote: »

That's kind of funny. I just played my free version of WoW yesterday for the first time in forever. I started a new character in the Blood Elf area and thought it looked like Sims 4 with the bright colors and no real textures and all. :D

@aricarai great sims! I absolutely love your build! <3
    LOL, only now do I understand the 'wow-esque' :D Sims 3 is certainly wow for me, but I couldn't imagine that was what the poster meant.
    5JZ57S6.png
    @JoAnne65 :D too funny!
    World of Warcraft has the same kind of cartoony graphics that sims 4 has, in my opinion. Not all areas are gloomy.
    6e25065fc3200ae5a8133b55b8d6c099-d5fbmez.png
  • OilbasedoleanderOilbasedoleander Posts: 2,967 Member
    ._.

Sorry but WoW definitely relates more to TS4 in the cartoonish bit. At least with TS3 you can enter in gothic exteriors and gloomy realistic themes with out it looking like Halloween at Disneyland like TS4 does.
    World of Warcraft has the same kind of cartoony graphics that sims 4 has, in my opinion. Not all areas are gloomy.
    Yes, that definitely reminds me of Sims 4, though the flat branches have a Sims 3 feel to them ;) (one of those things I thought they'd improve in a successor).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member

It looks like a a Sims 4 version of Lunar Lakes !
    edited January 2017
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Yes, that definitely reminds me of Sims 4, though the flat branches have a Sims 3 feel to them ;) (one of those things I thought they'd improve in a successor).

I agree about the flat branches, although WoW and sims 3 are a bit older than sims 4.
  • LinamintsLinamints Posts: 952 Member
    I prefer sims 4 sims and sims 3 world detail. I don't need to modify the sliders ins sims 4 to get sims I like, whereas in sims 3 I downloaded almost every slider I could to get weird of that weird pudge face look to all the sims I made. I do use a lot of CC for sims 4 though as I felt like the hair was too weird for my liking, and when I first started playing there wasn't a lot of modern clothing.
    However, I find the sims 4 environment to be really under detailed. I am slowly working on replacing the default textures with my own, but it's a very slow process.
    "Parenting is just like gardening, except if you let your garden die you don't go to prison." - Anna Blast
    Linamints wrote: »
    I prefer sims 4 sims and sims 3 world detail. I don't need to modify the sliders ins sims 4 to get sims I like, whereas in sims 3 I downloaded almost every slider I could to get weird of that weird pudge face look to all the sims I made. I do use a lot of CC for sims 4 though as I felt like the hair was too weird for my liking, and when I first started playing there wasn't a lot of modern clothing.
    However, I find the sims 4 environment to be really under detailed. I am slowly working on replacing the default textures with my own, but it's a very slow process.
    I think graphics and art style are often confused. Preferring Sims 4 sims and needing more sliders has nothing to do with graphics. The under detailed environment has.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • thuggishsplicerthuggishsplicer Posts: 1,747 Member
    From my personal standpoint, both Sims 3 and 4 are rather ugly. The best graphics are from The Sims 1. You didn't need to spend hours creating your sim and it was easy to reproduce your favorites. The camera could bem better, but I understand the limitations of that time. Some neighborhoods were breath-taking, especially Magic Town.
  • SjappielovePaulSjappielovePaul Posts: 4,794 Member
    My favourite Sims were those of Sims 2, but with a little practice it was easy to make gorgeous Sims in Sims 3. I hate the fact that everything in Sims 4 seems to be a combo of clay and plastic, Sims 4 really Looks (emphasize on looks) cheap to me. While Sims 3 has the most beautifull worlds with the most beautifull places. And CASt allowed us to have so many textures everywhere! I could make medieval houses, haunted houses, farms, ultramodern houses, BauHaus, Scandinavian houses, Mediterranean houses etc. etc. I even built a dive bar/motel in a wore down state! But Sims 4 hasn't given me the freedom to build something old or worn or anything like that just because of the style devs chose... it all has to be perfect, spotless, happy...

Sims 4 is like that pink lady from Harry Potter to me... it forces me to do make everything perfectly happy and dreamy. And it just gets under my skin like the pink Harry Potter lady does. Gush what's her name... Oh I know! Dolores Umbridge... Sims 4 is Doloris Umbridge.
    Don't forget to take care of yourself every now and then in this big chaotic world!
    pkJ66Kv.png
    Some links that helped me a lot:
    Missing Store Stencils / Free Kiddy Stuff / Daily Deals / Daily Deals Spreadsheets / The Gifting Directory
    edited January 2017
    Sims 4 is like that pink lady from Harry Potter to me... it forces me to do make everything perfectly happy and dreamy. And it just gets under my skin like the pink Harry Potter lady does. Gush what's her name... Oh I know! Dolores Umbridge... Sims 4 is Doloris Umbridge.

Oh my gosh! That is a hilarious analogy!
    imelda_potter.jpg