Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• Options
    DaraB224DaraB224 Posts: 9 New Member
    Hi @SilverDaybreak! I do not have a sim selfie at the moment, but think it would be awesome if a little sim me was seen running around in the background of one of your stories. I'll definitely work on one and will be checking in on your page!
  • Options
    JLBDreamerJLBDreamer Posts: 622 Member
    @CathyTea @DarciTheFox @BabyDollAnne @ThePlumbob @OJenn

I usually give my sims several choices in mate if I am creating spouses. Artificially forced relationships that only exist in a story have no appeal for me. I try to create the stories I do as a rough outline and then let my sims flesh them out being themselves. If a plot idea I had just doesn't seem like it would fit them then it is junked and replaced. So I think it really should be called "Sim Driven" stories.

Sims relationships with each other can be so different than what I expected how could I not show them as they are? I have one pair that literally can't keep their hands off each other no matter how far I turn down the Nraas settings in Sims 3 so when I wrote them that's the way I wrote them.

ts3w-2012-07-07-12-00-28-69.jpg
    If you are wondering what couple its my vampiracy founder Erica Wilder and Vladamir Schlick. I was completely taken aback by how into each other they are and I think it spicied up my story 110% and made it more interesting. When I put them back into the file I expect more of the same. lol.

Another example is in my Build Newcrest. I don't want to say everything yet so as not to spoil the story but I saw Hanna really liked this one sim and they flirted a lot but never did anything more. I decided to give them a little push and a tidal wave happened. They liked each other so much I figured I would lock in an engagement and I took the camera off them and heard the wedding ceremony music. I go back to see the guy initiated an elopement. How can I not use those events in my story?

As far as 100% gameplay driven it is possible but its more of a "day in the life" style of story and if there is any over arching plot its loose. I did this with a few wishacies I played and it was fun and challenging.
  • Options
    DarciTheFoxDarciTheFox Posts: 1,589 Member
    edited March 2016
    I agree, you should let your sims choose the major details and even a lot or most of the smaller details when doing sim-driven stories. How cute of those two that cannot stay away from each other! I plan to do the same when my character is ready to seriously date. I'm going to have people submit bachelors and bachelorettes to put into my town for my sim to consider and then I'm going to have them marry the one they choose and are drawn to. I also want the relationships in my games to be real, not just for the story, but for the sims...it makes the story more real.
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    JLBDreamer wrote: »

I usually give my sims several choices in mate if I am creating spouses. Artificially forced relationships that only exist in a story have no appeal for me. I try to create the stories I do as a rough outline and then let my sims flesh them out being themselves. If a plot idea I had just doesn't seem like it would fit them then it is junked and replaced. So I think it really should be called "Sim Driven" stories.

Sims relationships with each other can be so different than what I expected how could I not show them as they are? I have one pair that literally can't keep their hands off each other no matter how far I turn down the Nraas settings in Sims 3 so when I wrote them that's the way I wrote them.

ts3w-2012-07-07-12-00-28-69.jpg
    If you are wondering what couple its my vampiracy founder Erica Wilder and Vladamir Schlick. I was completely taken aback by how into each other they are and I think it spicied up my story 110% and made it more interesting. When I put them back into the file I expect more of the same. lol.

Another example is in my Build Newcrest. I don't want to say everything yet so as not to spoil the story but I saw Hanna really liked this one sim and they flirted a lot but never did anything more. I decided to give them a little push and a tidal wave happened. They liked each other so much I figured I would lock in an engagement and I took the camera off them and heard the wedding ceremony music. I go back to see the guy initiated an elopement. How can I not use those events in my story?

As far as 100% gameplay driven it is possible but its more of a "day in the life" style of story and if there is any over arching plot its loose. I did this with a few wishacies I played and it was fun and challenging.

i use too then my family tree got complicated. my sim who was a triplet had a wife who slept with his brother. and got pregnant.
  • Options
    ThePlumbobThePlumbob Posts: 4,971 Member
    @JLBDreamer Cathy Tea is a big believer in letting sims determine their own path :)

We've had a lot of sim-drive vs story-driven writing discussions in this thread, and there's definitely benefits to both; it just depends on what kind of story you want to tell - your story, your sims' story or a mixture of both :) Personally I also like to have my sims pick their partners :)

Also, you're doing a Build Newcrest legacy? Is there a story on the way? I love Build Newcrests :)
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    I do a definite mix. Sometimes I need to guide my story, but most of the time I just let my sims do it. I'm about 80% sims driven and 20% planned. I let my sims do all the major life choices like spouse and usually career and pay attention to their wants. This time though, I did choose their careers for them. I needed something that could be done by a homeless sim, my sim started off as a homeless challenge for myself.
  • Options
    VIRTUALEEVIRTUALEE Posts: 2,507 Member
    edited March 2016
    @lisabee2

I wish you wouldn't think of your posts as spam. To me spam is negative filler that is not useful to anyone. Your (our) stories are gifts to each other from each other! They are filled with creativity and inspiration that encourage, entertain, and uplift! <-- And I truly mean that!! <3

Also, do not be afraid to give us more (words and screenshots) to your story. I was the very same way in the beginning and found that our friends and fans of our stories will make time to enjoy the characters they grow to love. In fact they want more time spent with their fav characters. So share your gifts, as frequently and abundantly as you choose!
    Post edited by VIRTUALEE on
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    JLBDreamer wrote: »

I really love seeing the emotion in these Sims' faces! Sometimes I hear people say that TS3 Sims don't show emotion, but it's just not the case. Look at these two!
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    ThePlumbob wrote: »
    @JLBDreamer Cathy Tea is a big believer in letting sims determine their own path :)

We've had a lot of sim-drive vs story-driven writing discussions in this thread, and there's definitely benefits to both; it just depends on what kind of story you want to tell - your story, your sims' story or a mixture of both :) Personally I also like to have my sims pick their partners :)

Also, you're doing a Build Newcrest legacy? Is there a story on the way? I love Build Newcrests :)

It's so cool--with all our talking about this, I see such a mix happen! Like some people are writing Sim-driven stories, but they write them as if they were plot-driven. (I'm trying to do that with my rotation and It. Is. So. Hard. Major Fail. But it's a fail well worth the effort! Because I learn a lot and gain even more respect for those who can pull it off so seamlessly!) And then a lot who started with plot-driven are incorporating more Sim-driven elements. So, it's really cool!

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    So guys, quick discussion about MC Command? How do you all have your settings done? Personally I lowered the potential for making a baby even when trying for baby, make slightly more realistic. Anything you guys have done that changed things a lot?

The main thing I'm interested in is no culling and no relationship culling. I forget my marriage and baby settings--they got a little nuts, then I tweaked them. I'm sort of not invested in anything except the no culling and no relationship culling--that's what I mostly care about.

• Options
    Spottydog714Spottydog714 Posts: 2,518 Member
    Game-driven story advice? I really have no answer to that as, in my main story, L4MM's characters are completely puppets for me. I couldn't really commit to game-driven at the moment. I like absolute power ( >:) ) in my writing. I decide what they are doing and use lots of cheats. I know a lot of you let your sims chose their partners. So, I have a question, to add to @BabyDollAnne 's.
    How do your sims actually chose their partners?
    EkpFDaf.png
    Stories: Looking For Mum's Murderer | The Bachelorette | Fifteen
  • Options
    CathyTea wrote: »
    My one year blogversary is March 11. Can't believe it's been a year!

WOOOT! I'm SO excited for you! What are you doing for the party?

(Should we start a Blogaversary list on our first post here?)

I think maybe have the penguins invite some of my characters for a party.

Let me know if one of those characters could give a speech! She'd love to, and I'd love to transcribe it for her! :)<3

• Options
    Hey guys, would anyone like to test read the first part of the first.. (just kidding, 4th.) draft of my new story? I'll give you a little breakdown of what its about so it'll make sense aaaand you get a sneak peak :D<3 (and i'll love you forever, I normally get Candace to test read it but she's rather unwell at the moment.)

Did you get any takers? If not, I'd probably have a chance to look at something this afternoon (my timezone...)

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Reina got in a major fight with this guy after they got out of jail. I didn't include it in my story because I was so tired and I was already jam-packing pictures in that chapter. Here for you all to see!

9324010_orig.png
    9435158_orig.png
    4802619_orig.png
    9969574_orig.png
    183232_orig.png
    139411_orig.png

Hahahaahahahaha! Look at Hedy!
    3539394_orig.png

I love my story, I love my characters. I swear Hedy makes the most unique and adorable faces of any sim I've ever had. She's truly an oddball of her own kind. Rei is very photogenic as well I have noticed, this whole family is just so fun for me. I'm so glad I came up with these characters and decided to keep going with this story. I just feel it deserves the beautiful ending I had in mind for it. ;)

I don't know if anyone else is like that, I feel like I cheat my characters when I don't finish their stories. :s:'(

• Options
    Hey guys, would anyone like to test read the first part of the first.. (just kidding, 4th.) draft of my new story? I'll give you a little breakdown of what its about so it'll make sense aaaand you get a sneak peak :D<3 (and i'll love you forever, I normally get Candace to test read it but she's rather unwell at the moment.)

Did you get any takers? If not, I'd probably have a chance to look at something this afternoon (my timezone...)

you have a timezone you never seem to sleep. your everywhere.
  • Options
    *bursts into discussion about game-driven stories to drop off a 100% story-driven update* :lol:

Prelude chapter for Gen 3! :blush: The "real" Gen 3 of my legacy starts tomorrow! For today, This chapter kind of helps to bridge the enormous gap between the last chapter of Gen 2 and the start of Gen 3 :)

GWkLFDd.png

Ohmigosh! I'm so excited for this! I took a break after we read this for Book Club so I'd have a bunch of chapters to binge on, and now seems like the perfect time!

(I think I figured out why I have to binge-read your stories, Citizen. It's because sometimes, I just can't bear to stop reading when everything is topsy-turvy. I know I'll be sad or nervous all day if I do so, because your skill with storytelling and character development gets me so involved with your characters! So, when I wait and read after there are a whole bunch of chapters [and preferably, after the completion of a story arc], then I get to choose when I stop. I think that's why I prefer watching shows on Netflix over watching the same shows on network TV broadcasts.)

• Options
    OJenn wrote: »
    BabyDollAnne - My legacy is mostly gameplay driven. Examples of this include the fire in Lee's generation and the love interest of my gen 3 heir, Rhea.

It's so interesting to me when gameplay-driven stories, like your legacy and ra3rei 's Arturo legacy, develop the feel of fiction! I'm really entranced by what goes on in your minds in-between the playing and observing and the telling of the story, for you both craft it together into something that reads like writer-directed fiction. I'm in awe.

For me, it's about having fun while playing and finding a story. Our sims are quite good at telling their own stories visually. And when I am observing I experience so many things. Sometimes shock due to decisions made by my sims and happiness at the potential for storytelling based on those decisions.

One technique you used in your legacy which adds so much to the storytelling was to have your founder tell his story in retrospect. That was brilliant!

• Options
    BabyDollAnne - My legacy is mostly gameplay driven. Examples of this include the fire in Lee's generation and the love interest of my gen 3 heir, Rhea.

It's so interesting to me when gameplay-driven stories, like your legacy and ra3rei 's Arturo legacy, develop the feel of fiction! I'm really entranced by what goes on in your minds in-between the playing and observing and the telling of the story, for you both craft it together into something that reads like writer-directed fiction. I'm in awe.

For me, it's about having fun while playing and finding a story. Our sims are quite good at telling their own stories visually. And when I am observing I experience so many things. Sometimes shock due to decisions made by my sims and happiness at the potential for storytelling based on those decisions.

One technique you used in your legacy which adds so much to the storytelling was to have your founder tell his story in retrospect. That was brilliant!

i did that once but i got depressed. it was the sad news chapter where Isah died and Jacoby was talking about his uncle.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    DaraB224 wrote: »
    Hi @SilverDaybreak! I do not have a sim selfie at the moment, but think it would be awesome if a little sim me was seen running around in the background of one of your stories. I'll definitely work on one and will be checking in on your page!

I think SilverDayBreak also requested mine. I don't think I have it uploaded yet, but I will do so when I get a minute. :)
  • Options

LOL! That's because I'm just one hour off your timezone! So when you're awake, I'm awake. In the summer, we share a timezone! ***squeee****

• Options

i did that once but i got depressed. it was the sad news chapter where Isah died and Jacoby was talking about his uncle.

Your story has really got some sad chapters lately. I could feel so much sadness reading them. Then, you sneak in a funny chapter, and the sun comes out again!

• Options
    lizzielilyylizzielilyy Posts: 4,877 Member
    So is it bad that I'm already super excited for a new project once I've finished my legacy? Even though the whole point of this legacy was to lead into another project? I'm just full of ideas these days! :D
    Gen-6-982x250-1.jpg
  • Options

LOL! That's because I'm just one hour off your timezone! So when you're awake, I'm awake. In the summer, we share a timezone! ***squeee****

thats so cool. squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! my rory imatatation again.
  • Options
    moonswirlsmoonswirls Posts: 2,350 Member

Not really, if you'd like i'll ping it over just now and you can take a look when you're free! <3
  • Options
    SummerFallsSummerFalls Posts: 6,413 Member
    Happy Timezones! I'm currently working on my short story which @CitizenErased14 would be proud of! It's a supernatural ghost-like story, I'm really excited!
    ooh_zpseebomb8i.png
    Origin ID: SummerFalls
    House: Ravenclaw/Wampus - Wand: Alder wood with Unicorn hair core 10 ¾" and Slightly Springy flexibility - Patronus: Neblung Cat
    | Simblr | Youtube | I love creating sims! |

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top