Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A question about simlish?

Comments

• Options
    MaroonPantsMaroonPants Posts: 387 Member
    Yibbs?
    11909804_873412349399467_742719380_n.jpg?oh=52e438b18b94d2bf9fc31502acc3571d&oe=55D2753F
    I made art of of a Pepe and Google Deep Dream XD
  • Options
    MaroonPantsMaroonPants Posts: 387 Member
    It means "yes!" as in an exclamation. In my opinion
    11909804_873412349399467_742719380_n.jpg?oh=52e438b18b94d2bf9fc31502acc3571d&oe=55D2753F
    I made art of of a Pepe and Google Deep Dream XD
  • Options
    DawnbreakEdgeDawnbreakEdge Posts: 130 Member
    I think Yibsim means bestfriend. According to a wiki page on Simlish.
    Hey! Follow me on the gallery at: DawnbreakEdge

Follow my Sims 4 Blog on tumblr!: dawnbreaksims.tumblr.com/

My Showcase: Click Me!
  • Options
    xitneverendssxitneverendss Posts: 1,772 Member
    The one that always stood out to me in TS3 was "descroable" which I always figured meant disgusting lol
  • Options
    ericaduhericaduh Posts: 670 Member
    "Yibs" sounds like yes/yup/yeah - to me!
    my simblr - http://ericalovessims.tumblr.com
    origin id & other social networks: ericaduh
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,616 Member
    Aine wrote: »
    'dag' or 'dag dag' is bye.

Why is that sometimes when my sim wants to start a conversation with another sim, they say "Deg deg". It annoys me. I thought "su su" was hello but sometimes my sim says "deg deg" as hello... :(

Also, I like "Anjeeee!" when they take a pic. XD
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    have2admithave2admit Posts: 2,246 Member
    When there's trash on the floor they go "Ahh groooow." (grose)
  • Options
    JuanaJuana Posts: 840 Member
    I don't remember the specific word, but there's another word very similar to "bartender" they use when they're at the bar.
  • Options
    Gnarl_LeeGnarl_Lee Posts: 1,014 Member
    edited November 2014
    as in any language (even fictional ones) its not really the words that matter, its how they are spoken/used...so yeah, there are some consistencies but context and inflection might alter the meaning/usage.
  • Options
    Kamb64Kamb64 Posts: 2,546 Member
    have2admit wrote: »
    When there's trash on the floor they go "Ahh groooow." (grose)

I think it's cute how my sims fuss at me about trash on the floor. It's not like I made that mess!! Lol

As an aside when my sim is working on his rocket ship I saw him stand back and look up at it and say something like"wowzda" really?? Haha
  • Options
    horrorfan1980shorrorfan1980s Posts: 2,900 Member
    I swear I heard giggity a couple of times in Sims 3.
    can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will boxed after sword is out.
  • Options
    DivinylsFanDivinylsFan Posts: 1,278 Member
    DeKay wrote: »

Why is that sometimes when my sim wants to start a conversation with another sim, they say "Deg deg". It annoys me. I thought "su su" was hello but sometimes my sim says "deg deg" as hello... :(

yes in TS1 and 2, dag dag and sul sul was used as both hello and goodbye, there was no telling which it was. That is the point of simlish, to be able to be used randomly in all situations. If you try to make a meaning out of it, you'll be upset when it's used randomly in a situation where it shouldn't mean that, or you don't want it to.

In TS2 however, they did use 'nagouyaw' in their wedding vows, but they probably used it in everyday conversation too.
    Then there was the male saying to the female in bed just before makeout or woohoo, 'dah se de wa la la', that's what it sounded like anyway.

It's like trying to spell the Muppet chef's song, ndee deeum bedishkeeboo ner bosh bong dee deeum mm bork bork bork! hoo de doo dee, de flame is okie dokie. Why would you want to make English words out of that? It was just funny as it was, and the tone.

You can make it mean something to you, at the time, in the situation, but beware applying it to every time it's heard, you'll get confused.
    I remember you from university, I still have your story.
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,616 Member

yes in TS1 and 2, dag dag and sul sul was used as both hello and goodbye, there was no telling which it was. That is the point of simlish, to be able to be used randomly in all situations. If you try to make a meaning out of it, you'll be upset when it's used randomly in a situation where it shouldn't mean that, or you don't want it to.

In TS2 however, they did use 'nagouyaw' in their wedding vows, but they probably used it in everyday conversation too.
    Then there was the male saying to the female in bed just before makeout or woohoo, 'dah se de wa la la', that's what it sounded like anyway.

It's like trying to spell the Muppet chef's song, ndee deeum bedishkeeboo ner bosh bong dee deeum mm bork bork bork! hoo de doo dee, de flame is okie dokie. Why would you want to make English words out of that? It was just funny as it was, and the tone.

You can make it mean something to you, at the time, in the situation, but beware applying it to every time it's heard, you'll get confused.

Haha yeah, I guess the dag dag and su su ones are pretty random due to the programming, probably. And I also like your point of not trying to make a meaning out if it.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    edited November 2014

It's possible that both sul sul and deg deg can be used as both hello and bye. HEh :P But yeah I agree that sul sul was used before in a more greeting way, while deg definitely was bye.

I also credit the differences from previous games to a different 'simlish accent' - just as english has different accents. :P
    - to me, sims 2 had one accent, sims 3 another and sims 4 ofcourse has it's own simlish 'accent'. :D

I think it's natural to try to understand the sims, as that is how our brains work.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    DarkAmaranth1966DarkAmaranth1966 Posts: 13,416 Member
    Let me see.
    Yibbs - Sick, the best, cool, YES!
    Nooboo - baby
    Nek - check
    Nek-ate Checkmate
    Bar-bar fringlenerp - expression of worry
    Boyirthday - birthday
    keeb - good, usually uses as keeb-keeb over great food
    Life is what you make it so, make it good.
  • Options
    JoenielJoeniel Posts: 727 Member
    Let me see.
    Nooboo - baby
    Nek - check
    Nek-ate Checkmate
    Boyirthday - birthday

So in simlish babies are noobs?
    gatitos_zps08y2lsrh.gif
  • Options
    mikmakermikmaker Posts: 2,145 Member
    Joeniel wrote: »
    Let me see.
    Nooboo - baby
    Nek - check
    Nek-ate Checkmate
    Boyirthday - birthday

So in simlish babies are noobs?

yes: my noobs! lol :D
    hey, but I mis the toddlers simlish, like:
    'oewwwáh'
    when they poke their nose and stuff.
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    How many times has your Sim said "give it to me!" when talking with another Sim? They even say it in CAS. (This is in TS4)
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    will681will681 Posts: 319 Member
    it may not exactly fall under simlish, but I recall the first time I heard a sim say 'giggity' (i.e. a word the character Quaqmire says on show Family Guy)...it gave me a good laugh.
  • Options
    catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    I'll be glad when they bring out the singer career, Ogie, ogie, oo, a, ogie, oo, oo.
  • Options
    cherrycat777cherrycat777 Posts: 58 Member
    My child sims say, "Yibs yibs yibs!"
  • Options
    JaysWrxldJaysWrxld Posts: 618 Member
    catitude5 wrote: »
    I'll be glad when they bring out the singer career, Ogie, ogie, oo, a, ogie, oo, oo.

Me too!

• Options
    JaysWrxldJaysWrxld Posts: 618 Member
    Testing..
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited February 2016
    I know that YibSim = Best Friend, so my guess in it means "Great!" or something along those lines.

You can even hear the Sims say "YibSim!" when they become best friends and hug.

I think the Simlish language is one that has been simplified down to maybe a few hundred words, and the combination and inflection implies the meaning. We can see this in how the words are used in various situations. "Nooboo" is used for "baby", but not just for infants - it's used as a pet-name for a lover too, like you might call someone babe or baby.

For example...

Take 4 words - cold, food, liquid, container
    Cold - temperature
    Liquid - runny stuff
    Food - anything edible
    Container - anything that holds anything else
    Cold food container = refrigerator/cooler
    Cold food = leftovers
    Food container = lunchbox/Tupperware
    Liquid food = drink
    Liquid food container = glass

Post edited by EmmaVane on
  • Options
    Swiftlover13Swiftlover13 Posts: 2,369 Member
    If I remember correctly, the Sims team intended Simlish to be complete gibberish. However, they wanted it to sound like a real word language. I think they decided to mix the 2 most nonsense-sounding languages they could, and chose a mixture of Finnish and Welsh, along with some completely made-up words.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top