Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Death, Graves and Cemetery

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    SimplyToriSimplyTori Posts: 1,804 Member
    SimplyTori wrote: »
    I agree. Sims 4 needs cemeteries or where we can keep the urn....so disappointing that it's not part of the Sims 4.

Also why did they take funerals out of the game?

I don't recall any Sims game ever having funerals.

I'm pretty sure TS3 has funerals or is it TS2? One of them do :)

Now that I think about it, it was probably Sims 3, but somehow I managed to overlook that feature all this time. But then Sims 3 had so much content there are still things to this day I haven't tried in that game.

Yeah I think it's TS3 and your right. TS3 has so much stuff to do and so much content I still have things I've never done either ;)
    justlurking.gif
  • Options
    BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    Sims 2 had funerals.

I'd love to have a cemetery back in the game
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    edited February 2016
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Kalen615 wrote: »
    I didn't play the sims 3 so I'm guessing that the cemetery was a part of that? It's a very good idea anyhow.

Actually Sims 4 is the only game of the series that doesn't have cemeteries. That is part of the issues - seeing The Sims games always had cemeteries.

Sims 2 didn't have graveyards and I can't speak for sims 1.

You could MAKE a graveyard and move their urn there in sims 2, but it'd essentially just be a community lot. It's the same way for sims 4.

That said I would love a graeyard lot with a mausoleum for npc ghosts and more tombstones/urns patched in.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    Raddish4Raddish4 Posts: 54 Member
    I also remember funerals being a thing in TS3. Everyone just gathered and cried at the tombstone/urn.
  • Options
    vampiricdreams31vampiricdreams31 Posts: 219 Member
    It would be wonderful if GP #4 released in October and was themed to cemeteries. It would be the perfect time to release cemeteries, along with an interactive mausoleum/crypt that our sim could actually explore, discover rare relics, and cursed/lucky heirlooms left behind. Since TS4 major theme is "parties" the talent team could create funerals as an "event" that took place at the cemetery. Depending if our sim was well-liked our sims would either speak of good things about the deceased sim, or speak with ill and angry infliction about the deceased sim. Sims could dare another sim to explore the crypt or retrieve a cursed item from the crypt.

A new active job (not a career) could be ghost hunting/paranormal investigating. It would also be great if they gave ghosts their own skill "haunting". It would make playing as a ghost more fun and interesting being able to scare sims, rather than befriending mortal sims. With a cemetery-themed game pack the pack could also include new traits like clairvoyance/medium where sims who possessed that trait could befriend ghosts and free ghosts into the Nether. And last, a new emotion "scared". Of course we could also create ghosts in CAS. New clothing could include some funeral wear and perhaps something along the lines of the Victorian-era.
  • Options
    BOYBOY Posts: 540 Member
    With a cemetery-themed game pack the pack could also include new traits like clairvoyance/medium where sims who possessed that trait could befriend ghosts and free ghosts into the Nether
    i would love something like that!

Fairies & real Plantsims please!
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited February 2016
    I didn't play the sims 3 so I'm guessing that the cemetery was a part of that? It's a very good idea anyhow.

Actually Sims 4 is the only game of the series that doesn't have cemeteries. That is part of the issues - seeing The Sims games always had cemeteries.

You could MAKE a graveyard and move their urn there in sims 2, but it'd essentially just be a community lot. It's the same way for sims 4.

That said I would love a graeyard lot with a mausoleum for npc ghosts and more tombstones/urns patched in.

From the Simswiki:

"A graveyard or cemetery is a home feature found throughout The Sims series, and a type of community lot in The Sims 2 and The Sims 3. In The Sims 3 it is also a lot assignment. They are where the headstones of deceased Sims are placed after they die. Ghosts frequently haunt cemeteries in The Sims series although in The Sims and The Sims Bustin' Out the only lots to contain ghosts are the Goth households."

Also there is a story connected to a certain group of 6 kids at University in Sims 2 with a certain Sim that is in the cemetery in downtown I believe - Jonathan Smith Tricou - as he is their father but all the kids had different mothers. In fact that is only one of many, many stories connected to the dead residents of various Sims 2 cemeteries. Many of us used to have a ball playing with all the stories from the Sims 2 cemeteries and solving their mysteries. So don't tell me there were no cemeteries in Sims 2. You just probably never played that angle of the game, or maybe just stuck with the family cemeteries found on some home lots. I have no clue, but I still play Sims 2 rather regularly. In fact I enjoyed Sims 2 cemeteries better than Sims 3 to me as Sims 2 ones as I mentioned have interactive stories with the dead in their cemeteries that Sims 3 does not. But Sims 3 cemeteries have their own perks - like the Mausoleum and the ability to actually work at the cemetery which Sims 2 did not have.

Also - to the one speculating about the funerals, both Sims 2 and Sims 3 allow funerals - but it was not like programmed play but just something you could do in the game if you wanted to. Sims 3 actually had a video showing a funeral at one point in the development of the game.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    Yoko2112 wrote: »
    I think SimGuruDaniel said he was working on them a while ago. Well @catloverplayer asked him recently on twitter.

He popped into a thread one evening.....I'm guessing it's been over a year now......and I asked him if we were getting cemeteries again. He said it was on his to-do list. Maybe he got sidetracked.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Okay. Now I'm very bummed, angry even.

I never bought any stuff packs until the Romantic Stuff (I have bought the game packs and expansion packs though). After seeing it was quite nice I decided that maybe I've been too harsh on the stuff packs and decided to get the Movie Hangout as well as the Perfect Patio stuff pack as well. I thought I could go and give a makeover to some of the sims I don't really play with much but want to keep in the background. I want people's outfits to match their personalities, so new clothing is always welcome.

So. I went to the Pancakes household thinking their now teenage sons could use makeovers. Bob Pancakes had passed away a while ago and I'd seen him on the family tree. Of course NO GRAVE but at least he was still in the family tree. WELL. This time when I went there, he was just a blank white face.

Eliza Pancakes had also passed away now and luckily not a blank face yet.

So, I downloaded MC Command Center AGAIN and placed the mods and restarted the game AGAIN.

But it really raises some questions. Is this REALLY how this is supposed to be? Are they really saying that the game is working as it's supposed to? There are many helpful people here on this forum, I've noticed @rosemow especially. And all these nice people suggest that I install MC Command Center. Well, I had it installed but missed the point when the game was updated and didn't vigorously and attentively go to my freakin mods folder right that second - and the result is I lose people and end up with yet ANOTHER broken family tree?!

How CAN this be right? Is this how it's always going to be?

I fear asking for a cemetery might really be too much. Right now It would be kinda nice if the family trees stayed intact. At LEAST.

Okay. Ending rant.

*edited for the angry typos
  • Options
    NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    @Raddish4 , you've experienced 'culling'. This is one of the aspects of the game simmers have been very vocal about and have stated time and time again how horrible this is. I'm sure other simmers will link you threads that discuss this aspect... tbh I can't even be bothered to go there. I'm sorry this happened to you, as a simmer who has lost all of her legacy sim ghosts I know exactly how you feel... culling really, really is horrible.
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member

It's not quite the same -- in order to get an urnstone, you have to have the lot active when the sim dies. Then if the ghost is culled, the name is erased from the tombstone. It's actually part of the reason I stopped playing -- the way death is handled. I had a sim whose parents died, and I got the death notification, but she didn't mourn and there were no tombstones. No speech bubbles regarding the death -- it's like it never happened.

I think when people ask for cemeteries, they're asking that death and memories of the departed sim be a part of the game. But this goes to a deeper problem -- that if the lot isn't active, it's not a part of the game at all.
  • Options
    I appreciate the empathy @NZsimm3r. And yes, I'm all too familiar with the term "culling".

It just really doesn't seem right that I have to use a mod NOT to lose people from the freakin family tree.

I want to build a world where there are families with long histories and sort of roots. I want to blend different genes and see the towns and houses change with new generations - but only a little bit. I want to see toddlers children grow up and grow old and see what their children are going to be up to. I want to be able to look at how the families are all tied together and meet an occasional ancestral ghost now and then.

If they cull the people from the family tree it makes that whole experience... empty.
  • Options
    NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    Raddish4 wrote: »
    I appreciate the empathy @NZsimm3r. And yes, I'm all too familiar with the term "culling".

It just really doesn't seem right that I have to use a mod NOT to lose people from the freakin family tree.

I want to build a world where there are families with long histories and sort of roots. I want to blend different genes and see the towns and houses change with new generations - but only a little bit. I want to see toddlers children grow up and grow old and see what their children are going to be up to. I want to be able to look at how the families are all tied together and meet an occasional ancestral ghost now and then.

If they cull the people from the family tree it makes that whole experience... empty.

Opps...sorry I though perhaps you didn't know about culling. I agree though, I hate that my family trees end up blank and empty. :( And I refuse to use mods to correct something that needs a dev's fix.
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,688 Member
    Hello @Raddish4 .
    If the same thing happens again after a patch where you have played the game and haven't reenabled your mods/cc, you could perhaps try rolling back your save game file to an earlier version, before your sims were culled.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/783120/how-to-roll-back-your-save/p1
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice (yet again) @rosemow but I really don't want to do that. It would mean losing a lot of progress in very many other households.
  • Options
    ShinobuTypeErrorShinobuTypeError Posts: 2,838 Member
    It would be wonderful if GP #4 released in October and was themed to cemeteries. It would be the perfect time to release cemeteries, along with an interactive mausoleum/crypt that our sim could actually explore, discover rare relics, and cursed/lucky heirlooms left behind. Since TS4 major theme is "parties" the talent team could create funerals as an "event" that took place at the cemetery. Depending if our sim was well-liked our sims would either speak of good things about the deceased sim, or speak with ill and angry infliction about the deceased sim. Sims could dare another sim to explore the crypt or retrieve a cursed item from the crypt.

A new active job (not a career) could be ghost hunting/paranormal investigating. It would also be great if they gave ghosts their own skill "haunting". It would make playing as a ghost more fun and interesting being able to scare sims, rather than befriending mortal sims. With a cemetery-themed game pack the pack could also include new traits like clairvoyance/medium where sims who possessed that trait could befriend ghosts and free ghosts into the Nether. And last, a new emotion "scared". Of course we could also create ghosts in CAS. New clothing could include some funeral wear and perhaps something along the lines of the Victorian-era.

I would LOVE a a GP like this. Or, if not a GP, these ideas could also work as part of a potential Supernatural EP sometime down the road.
    "It's like there's a pink elephant in the room and no one's allowed to talk about it."
  • Options
    MinecraftdSimmerMinecraftdSimmer Posts: 561 Member
    I really hope they add cemeteries soon! Along with other town places like laundromats, courthouse, grocery store, etc.
  • Options
    I initially thought it could be a part of the Generations EP. But on second thought, if the cemeteries came with some sort of Supernatural pack I wouldn't mind either. The thing is though that the cemeteries themselves might differ a bit? No? My main concern is that we can't manage the dead and that some sims just disappear, not leaving even a tombstone. And later they get culled. And the family trees are broken. This is the bit I'm unhappiest about.
  • Options
    uzumouzumo Posts: 1,836 Member
    edited February 2016
    Also, there should be a funeral home and funeral as an event. Every sim has to wear black at a funeral.
  • Options
    OmpabopOmpabop Posts: 168 Member
    Cementaries would be awesome! I loved hanging out at the cementary in The Sims 3 (mainly because of the collectible items, but still....).

> @uzumo said:
    > Also, there should be a funeral home and funeral as an event. Every sim has to wear black at a funeral.
    Funeral flowers, clothes, hats and veils.... I sense material for an extension pack! You could have actions for giving condolances to other Sims, neighbors could show up at your house with brownies and garden gnomes.