Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Old Book Club Thread - Check out the New One!

Comments

• Options
    CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    edited February 2016
    @Julyvee94 I will answer these! Yay! (And @VIRTUALEE you always make me blush :lol:)

1) Did you ever plan on bringing in more plot on the other two daughters, Lina and Gabriella? Or do you base that on what happens in your game?

Good question! I always feel so sad for forgetting Lina and Gabriella (Reader Poll: Who even remembered that Mari has two younger sisters? :lol:). I settled on a "traditional" succession law with strict equality, meaning the oldest child of the opposite gender will be the next heir, so I knew from birth that Mari would be the heir, and therefore "set my sights on her" from the get-go.

Because her generation/story is SO drama-heavy (let's be real, I'm basically writing a soap opera plot over here :tongue:), it feels right to just focus on her. Also, the journal aspect of things makes it harder to focus on other characters too! In the future, I MAY end up having a few non-heirs have journals too, we'll see ;) Depends on what's "needed" for each generation, you know?

And I will tease one thing -- One of Mari's sisters will play a significant role in a future chapter. So my spares will eventually serve a real purpose from time to time ;)

2) Most legacies manage a small hut fairly quickly. Why did you let Alex live in a tent for so long? (haha, this is not an accusation I am just curious)

Honestly, I was just trying to be "realistic". Building a house (even a tiny little shack/hut) would cost thousands of dollars, so it would take a long time to save! So I had Alex stay in a tent for about 3 years of story-time, because he was saving! :blush:

I'm looking forward to seeing people's answers to the reader questions :blush: Thank you for another round of great questions, July!

snvAF3B.png
  • Options
    ra3reira3rei Posts: 2,418 Member

1) What do you think got you most invested in this story? The characters? The style? The plot?
    The characters, I'd say. I'm reading because I was curious about Alex and am staying becuase the characters are portrayed so well. They live exciting (and sometimes painful) lives. I guess like @VIRTUALEE that means all three, the characters, their stuggling, and the way it's written.

Aaand since the story has progressed a bit since Friday:
    2) Are you onto the Mari&Humberto (aka Mariberto) ship? Or do you believe, that @CitizenErased14 will crush our dreams once again?

Mariberto!! I love it! I firmly believe Mari will find happiness in her life. As much as Citizen destroys our hopes and dreams, none of her characters have ever (permanently) died unhappy. If they were to do that, I'd fully expect them too meet a grim in the darkness. :P

Check out Raerei's Fortress for Builds, Short Stories, and maybe some longer stuff.
  • Options
    SterretjeeeSterretjeee Posts: 3,019 Member
    And I will tease one thing -- One of Mari's sisters will play a significant role in a future chapter. So my spares will eventually serve a real purpose from time to time ;)

You're going to torture one of Mari's sisters? :s:lol:
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member

1) What do you think got you most invested in this story? The characters? The style? The plot?

I'm a huge fan of legacies--I love the built-in structure and I love to see the individual spins that are put on all the standard elements.

Plus, I really enjoyed getting to know Alex in this new setting. It was neat (from an analytical perspective) to see how Citizen was able to craft a well-told tale from a legacy.

Aaand since the story has progressed a bit since Friday:
    2) Are you onto the Mari&Humberto (aka Mariberto) ship? Or do you believe, that @CitizenErased14 will crush our dreams once again?]

Oooh! I'm not caught up yet! Still, I'd say, knowing that Citizen is a true romantic at heart, but one who likes to leave readers dangling on hooks for a while, that we'll be tortured, crushed, and bloody, and then finally, we'll find a romantic's redemption!
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    VIRTUALEEVIRTUALEE Posts: 2,507 Member
    @CathyTea "...but one who likes to leave readers dangling on hooks for a while, that we'll be tortured, crushed, and bloody..."

This made me snort! So true LOL
  • Options
    DaraB224DaraB224 Posts: 9 New Member
    For some Disney fun, I've really been enjoying @swcheppes SimLits. She just started a Bachelor type series which is pretty entertaining. Her wordpress is SimplyAwesomeStories. :smile:
  • Options
    DaraB224 wrote: »
    For some Disney fun, I've really been enjoying @swcheppes SimLits. She just started a Bachelor type series which is pretty entertaining. Her wordpress is SimplyAwesomeStories. :smile:

I love swcheppes' stories! We read her Archie series over the summer! :)

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    swcheppesswcheppes Posts: 3,027 Member
    @DaraB224 and @CathyTea you guys are awesome!! I would be honored to have my bachelor story be part of book club. I'm pretty sure Gaston wouldn't shut up about it ;)
    suRdkSd.jpg
  • Options
    swcheppes wrote: »
    @DaraB224 and @CathyTea you guys are awesome!! I would be honored to have my bachelor story be part of book club. I'm pretty sure Gaston wouldn't shut up about it ;)

Ooooh! Let's do a Bachelor/Bachelorette theme soon! Maybe we could a "love-theme" and also look at Freezer Bunny! (Though I shouldn't nominate my own project--but in a month or two, we'll have stories by the other franchises...)

I think we've got a few more weeks of Second Wave Legacies, and then let's do Bachelor/Bachelorette stuff! Remind me if I get spacey, ok?

• Options
    Happy Timezones! It's Coffee Hour, and I'm sleepy already so I'll just drop off this hot pot of coffee, this perfectly steeped pot of Darjeeling green tea, this bowl of sliced Arizona red grapefruit, this platter of fresh strawberries, these fresh and steaming English muffins, this dish of cream cheese, lots of plates and forks and knives--oh, and here's a platter of peanut-butter chocolate date balls!

And then I'll leave these questions, then I'll off to bed while you chat away, and I'll catch up with you all in my morning!

So... First up!

Questions for the readers:

1) Are you familiar with Rae's stories? If so, what similarities do you find between the Huffman Legacy and Rae's other writing? What's the Raesqueness of this story?

If this is the first of Rae's work that you're reading, what stands out about it to you?

2) One of the things I love in all of Rae's work is the dialogue that she establishes between screenshots and text. The text never (or seldom) reiterates what's in the pictures--and the both are absolutely essential to telling the story (unless it's a wordless chapter, in which case, the pictures alone tell the story). How does she do this?

And... what effect does this have on you as a reader as you go through an process both words and pictures to form the stories?

3) Who's your favorite character so far, and what do you like best about this character?

4) **bonus question in case questions 1 and 2 feel more analytical than you like** What kind of meaning or message do you get from the story so far? What does it say to you about life, living, and loving?

Questions for Raerei!

1) Who do you love most: Arturo or Bane? LOL! Seriously, tell us about Arturo in comparison to your other characters...

2) Arturo really doesn't feel to me like he's out of CAS--he feels like he's been around a while and that he grew up in game. How is it playing him? And what do you feel you've done as a Simmer and writer to make him seem to readers so rounded and developed as a character?

3) Tell us about your writing/Simming process for this game.

--Ok! I'll see you all in about 10 hours! Please feel free to come up with your own questions and to share other things that I haven't asked about! And aren't we lucky to get to read such amazing stories for free?--

• Options
    BBQPenguinWingsBBQPenguinWings Posts: 3,773 Member
    I have to work all day but I wanted to stop by and answer at least one question.

Arturo is my favorite, of course. I love his name and I love his looks. He is so unique and I adore him. I hope we see his looks in the future generations.
  • Options
    Julyvee94Julyvee94 Posts: 6,694 Member
    1) Are you familiar with Rae's stories? If so, what similarities do you find between the Huffman Legacy and Rae's other writing? What's the Raesqueness of this story?

Rae's storytelling feels natural to me - it just flows you know. And we always get great insight into a characters mind. I read her room challenge before and it's the same thing here with Arturo. We know how he feels and why. I loved the scene where he first saw 🐸🐸🐸🐸 and when he panicked about never seeing her again. Or the scene where he wanted to go to work and refuse to believe he was sick. I really like the way Rae fleshes out her characters! They are so unique. Even 🐸🐸🐸🐸, who - I assume - is a random townie, she gave a distinct character from the beginning. In this story I also enjoy that the story is told from different character's perspectives so we also get insights into 🐸🐸🐸🐸's mind as well as Arturo's.

3) Who's your favorite character so far, and what do you like best about this character?

Definitely Arturo. He is so unique in terms of looks and character. He seemed a bit grim to me first but I soon discovered he can also be hearty and emotional. At the same time his squeamishness has me laughing! (btw amazing how Rae brings out a sim's traits without explicitly mentioning them)
  • Options
    1) If this is the first of Rae's work that you're reading, what stands out about it to you?
    I was totally digging on the founders looks as I am a sucker for prettacy challenges, but as it turns out it wasn’t, so I was curious about this quirky guy named Arturo (also digging on the name since I am Spanish). I love the dance between the beautiful words Rae eloquently shares and the screenshots (which are epically gorgeous). You can’t help but fall in love with Ch4n4, and Sam quickly stole the show as soon as he was born!
    What I love the most about this story is that every installment feels like you are meeting these characters for coffee and catching up on their day to day which is effortless and comfortable.

2) And... what effect does this have on you as a reader as you go through an process both words and pictures to form the stories?
    Oops I think I answered this above, but I have to add that although Rae’s screenshots are one of the best I have seen, the story is strong enough to stand on its own without pics to substantiate it. That being said it is rather nice to have the shots add to an already flawless depiction of this family.

Ok don’t kill me for saying this, (because obviously I love Arturo and his family) but I am SO digging on Bella, the friend with the cute red-headed twins. I loved her carefree and relaxed way of befriending Arturo. It was as if she was his guardian angel, getting him a job, getting him involved with other folks in the community. I feel like we all deserve a ‘Bella’ in our lives to help us land on our feet every once in a while.

4) **bonus question in case questions 1 and 2 feel more analytical than you like** What kind of meaning or message do you get from the story so far? What does it say to you about life, living, and loving?
    I would think my answer will be true to some extent in in all Gen 1 of any legacy in that the story speaks to the rags to riches evolution in their lives. However, here are some more underlying topics I have seen in this story. Tenacity, diligence, peace, laughter, and genuine love.

Note: I just found Rae’s work and am enthusiastic to read more of it.
  • Options
    Jes2GJes2G Posts: 13,032 Member
    edited February 2016
    1) Are you familiar with Rae’s stories? Nope! This is my second one; the first one recent started as well.

If this is the first of Rae’s work that you're reading, what stands out about it to you?

A lot of us do this, but I like the way Rae does it. A lot of us add some realness to our Sims stories. I think it’s more to fill the gap in our own minds than to make the story feel real. Anyway, The Huffman Legacy feels like it was written to be real, but it’s still very much a Sims story. There’s just enough realness to close the gaps between the cartoon-like Sims world and our world, but not so much that it’s serious and potentially takes me out of the story.

2) One of the things I love in all of Rae's work is the dialogue that she establishes between screenshots and text. The text never (or seldom) reiterates what's in the pictures--and the both are absolutely essential to telling the story (unless it's a wordless chapter, in which case, the pictures alone tell the story). How does she do this?

And... what effect does this have on you as a reader as you go through an process both words and pictures to form the stories?

It’s similar to the way I approach my own pictures sometimes, so it’s appreciated and makes for a fluid reading experience.

Naturally, I like Arturo, but I’m supposed to lol. I’ll pick Ch4n4 for my favorite character. She seems like the perfect contrast to him. She’s kind of a happy-go-lucky kind of gal, but she also knows what she wants and goes after it. I like that about her. In their beginning stages when it wasn’t apparent to me yet, I found myself saying, “wow…she really DOES like him!”
    forum_final.png

Read Delicious Dishes & Dreams and more Stories By Jes2G!
    Origin ID: Jes2G | Forum Thread | Twitter | Tumblr
  • Options
    Whoops, didn’t copy everything.

I don’t usually think about life and messages when I’m reading LOL. However, thinking quickly about it now, I suppose there are simple messages about love being blind, messages about fate, and messages about keeping your eyes open. The last message is not as simple as sometimes it’s hard to do. Arturo definitely opened his heart and allowed Ch4n4 in, and she changed a lot of things for him. But at the same time, he often got buried in his own world still. He worried more about their finances for what he felt was important while ignoring what she really really wanted. He didn’t keep his eyes open. Well, his eyes are really small, so we’ll just say he couldn’t see LOL.
    forum_final.png

• Options
    @Jes2G OMG you made me RFL so early in the day!
    "...Well, his eyes are really small, so we’ll just say he couldn’t see..."
  • Options
    VIRTUALEE wrote: »
    @Jes2G OMG you made me RFL so early in the day!
    "...Well, his eyes are really small, so we’ll just say he couldn’t see..."

he he he, you’re welcome!
    forum_final.png

• Options
    I'll answer these first and then go back and chat on some of the answers you've already given (stuck at work so i'm sneaking in a few moments here and there between meetings) Ch4n4!! Finally we can write her name in this form. Such a strange censor for a random townie name...

1) Who do you love most: Arturo or Bane? LOL! Seriously, tell us about Arturo in comparison to your other characters...
    Ooh - Bane just shouted in my head whenever I wrote him so he was hilariously evil to write. Moving to third person makes the story overall easier to write, but you lose a little I think sometimes. Sometimes I start writing in first person with Arturo as well, but since I don't keep it it doesn't feel the same.

Bane and many of my late-(read evil) Pigglewiggles were very self-centered. Ch4na is as well, but Arturo only feels complete with Ch4na or Bella or Samuel next to him. For a guy who doesn't want to rely on folks, he seems to shine the most when he's with others - that's not a Pigglewiggle trait.

The most obvious difference with Arturo to any of my other sims is his appearance - but I've tried to never mention anyone's appearance (I probably slipped up and had Arturo call Ch4na beautiful, but I didn't mean to). That's the main reason I don't call this a prettacy (even though in some ways it is) - because although he's got a unique look and I'm interested in how those traits evolve and move forward, we won't be touching the topic of 'pretty'.

2) Arturo really doesn't feel to me like he's out of CAS--he feels like he's been around a while and that he grew up in game. How is it playing him? And what do you feel you've done as a Simmer and writer to make him seem to readers so rounded and developed as a character?

Funnily, I keep meaning to go back and write his childhood - I have some ideas, but I don't really know what his childhood was like - unhappy of course. He did chose to leave his hometown and move halfway across the world. I even have a little kid-sim version on him with the family he grew up with in my gallery. I'm glad he feels well rounded and developed when you read him - I'll chalk it up to readers filling in the blanks for me - which is what I hope you're all doing.

That why I often play with screenshots and "gap" between the words and pictures you mentioned. I would rather have my readers fill in the extra lines and spaces whenever possible. It'll make the story more real to you than if I have to put everything down.

3) Tell us about your writing/Simming process for this game.
    I'm playing with a different method here than I did for my previous legacy. A method I know others have used. But, basically I play and screenshot and think about what's happening. Then I put that all aside and write, often on paper and away from my screenshots. Then I merge the two.

I am trying to write close moments in life in great detail that illumate the rest of their life. Each chapter might occur weeks apart. I fail at that sometimes ending with a more "overview" post like my last Sam post. I'll keep working on it.

Technically speaking:

For this game, screenshots are actually sorted by location or if it's a particular event (like a wedding) that I know I want to keep together. That way I can weave together all the times Arturo was at the Waterfront club into a single scene if I needed. (And why I'm annoyed now that they have different clothes - you may notice they sometimes change clothes at odd times). I also sometimes can't use certain shots because they're out of the timeline. Events in game don't always happen in the same order as they do in my story. For example at the lovely Estate party where Arturo got drunk, Bella was super pregnant with her twins, so I couldn't use any pictures with her in the background.

Lastly I'm playing with my almost-ended-trial copy of Scribner which is a writing program like Word but designed for authors in mind. I'm mainly just using the "character section" there to keep track of all their friend and their friends families. I attach screenshots to the character bios and when I write something down in the story, like Bella liking sports - I make sure it goes in her bio so I don't forget.
    Check out Raerei's Fortress for Builds, Short Stories, and maybe some longer stuff.
  • Options
    ra3rei wrote: »
    I am trying to write close moments in life in great detail that illumate the rest of their life. Each chapter might occur weeks apart. I fail at that sometimes ending with a more "overview" post like my last Sam post. I'll keep working on it.

I really, really enjoyed the overview!

We hear so much about "scene and summary"--in post-1950 Western lit, there's such an emphasis on scene that sometimes, summary simply feels refreshing!

I personally adore 19th Century British Lit--I love the sweep that George Eliot or Dickens do, where we pan so far back that we see the whole village, then shire, then country then hemisphere, and then we swoop into a pantry, where a quiet moment is happening.

When we lose that overview, I often feel just a bit claustrophobic--I like to remember that there is a world outside the pantry.

That said, I've loved how your first chapters have been centered in scene. And then, when the rare overview comes, it feels SO delicious--we get to see the continuity of time and the larger scope of space. Really nice!

• Options
    "...basically I play and screenshot and think about what's happening. Then I put that all aside and write, often on paper and away from my screenshots. Then I merge the two...."

I never thought of doing this - I may have to try with another project in the future...Its a style very unlike my own, and produces much fear but it will be fun to try something outside of the box.

Also never heard of Scribner will have to look into it.
  • Options
    I love your responses, @everyone! So much fun! @VIRTUALEE - I'm so happy you're joining us! :)

And now... a few more questions for readers...

1) In what ways is this legacy similar to other legacies you've read, and in what ways is it different?

2) We were talking over in "The Art of Storytelling" about inclusion and diversity the other day. I immediately thought about this story and the way that diverse appearances are handled. Rae mentioned that she's intentionally not commenting on physical appearance in this story. What's your response to the ways that some of these Sims fit Western culture's standards of beauty and some don't and your response to the way that physical appearance isn't mentioned in the story?

What does reading this story reflect to you about the ways that beauty is culturally defined?

3) Lighter question: What hopes do you have for Arturo and Ch4n4's future? What do you hope for Sam?

And a few questions for ra3rei.....

1) When it comes to the future of these Sims, how much will be game-play driven and how much will you script? (And please feel free not to comment if you want to skip this for spoilery or other reasons...)

2) Are there any specific inspirations that you have for writing this, SimLit, traditional lit, or otherwise?

3) How conscious are you of the structure of a legacy as you write this? What structures are you relying on to help you craft the shape of the story?

• Options
    CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member

If this is the first of Rae's work that you're reading, what stands out about it to you?

I love Rae's stories! :blush: I would agree with what others have been saying -- Her stories feel very "honest" and "real". I am not quite sure how else to describe it :lol: I feel like I'm reading something that really happened, you know? And The Huffman Legacy is no exception! It's very easy to connect with her writing :blush:

And... what effect does this have on you as a reader as you go through and process both words and pictures to form the stories?

Rae's screenshots are always so beautiful! I love the way they compliment her wonderful writing too :blush: I actually feel I need to do more of this in my own writing -- not always describe the action in each picture, but rather let them speak more for themselves a bit :) She does it so well and it feels very natural. It almost gives a cinematic quality to her stories, I feel.

Somehow, though I am a self-professed "Shallow Simmer", my goodness, I love Arturo. And I know it's the most cliche answer ever, but I really do love him hahaha I even love the way he looks! (But OMG keep those genetics away from MY legacy ;):lol::joy: Rae and I already experimented with Mari and Arturo babies in CAS. The results were not pretty :tongue:).

I just really love his attitude, and I loved seeing how his relationship with *WHY is her name censored?!* affects him. Their love is too adorable and sweet!

Definitely the idea that, to quote my favorite movie ever, "Beauty is found within" (fun fact: I have that quote tattooed on me haha so that message really means a lot to me). I love that no one ever comments on Arturo's appearance. It's such a lovely and unconventional way to look at not just love and romance, but society too. We are so concerned with appearances, and so biased toward others based on how they look. It's kind of a breath of fresh air to have a story where looks are not only not the FOCUS, they aren't even mentioned at all. :)
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options
    I have to work all day but I wanted to stop by and answer at least one question.

Arturo is my favorite, of course. I love his name and I love his looks. He is so unique and I adore him. I hope we see his looks in the future generations.

So do I, badly - those tiny feet, that chin, those eyes...that Sam already seems not to have....there something about his appearance that makes him more precious to me. And I like seeing "normal" expressions and such on him. He puts his own spin on things due to his appearance.

@Julyvee94 Yup Ch4na is a random townie. They all are - I deleted every pre-made for this save.

@VIRTUALEE I'm enthusiastic to have another reader! I'll admit - I try to use his unique look as often as I can to draw folks in. I'm glad it worked. And as I said - it's still kind of a prettacy because it's going to be hard not to loose those looks in ten generations. My "before and after" for this legacy will be quite different from each other this time.

And Bella - she is just wonderful isn't she? I've shamelessly used her all the time. Mainly because she invited Arturo out to the bar that one time. He has a couple other close male friends but they never really invited him places - it was always the ladies who did. Bella and Katie mainly which is why they're such close family friends. It broke my heart when I saw she was an elder in game and really changed my plan. I had intended to give my sims youth potions for their adult lives so they would be around longer - when I realized Arturo and Ch4n4 would live long past all their friends if I did that...I just couldn't do it to them. So if they have youth potions it will only be as an elder.

@Jes2G I do think of this story as set in a sim world myself, so it's interesting that you get the feel that it could be either. I think I like that it's ambiguous. In some of my stories they clearly refer to themselves as sims - which to me is simlish for human. :D So maybe that's why. Even when they use sim words it can correlate to our world? I'll have to pay attention more.

And Ch4na is soo sure of what she wants. She's a very straightforward character for me. I was worried the other day that she was this traditional housewife and maybe she really wanted a job - but looking over the gameplay and how she was playing to me - it was obvious she wasn't wanting a job -she's never whimmed for one either.

And you're so write about Arturo getting burried in his own world - this is of course contrary to what i was saying about him shining around others, but i think that's because when Arturo interacts with others, he really shines. But if he's not then I think he's deep in his own world - in his own head... and yeah lol - tiny eyes! It does make it hard to see sometimes.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    @CitizenErased14 "Somehow, though I am a self-professed "Shallow Simmer", my goodness, I love Arturo. And I know it's the most cliche answer ever, but I really do love him hahaha I even love the way he looks! (But OMG keep those genetics away from MY legacy ;):lol::joy: Rae and I already experimented with Mari and Arturo babies in CAS. The results were not pretty :tongue:)."

OMG this made me ROFL too - good Creator this is the best Friday ever :)

Also - Thank you so much for the welcome @CathyTea
  • Options
    RinellieRinellie Posts: 438 Member
    edited February 2016
    Sorry, I need to head to bed soon, so my answers will be brief. But I wanted to hop in the discussion for a bit :)

First Batch

I've read all but one of her short stories that she has submitted to the short story challenge (I think?), but I have yet to read any of her other longer stories. Her flow stands out to me when I read this legacy. The sentences mesh well together, and the plot points progress very fluidly.

I think this is an example of a SimLit author really embracing the format of SimLit. You can create so many extra layers to a story if your screenshots provide more details than are shown in the words, and it makes for a rich story that rewards close reading.

I'd say my favorite character is Arturo (though Sam clocks in at a close second!). He's just got a very confident demeanor without being in-your-face about it at all. He doesn't seem to fret his decisions too much, and he actually tried to make an impression on Ch4n4, instead of playing the Nice Guy card. I like that his actions just seem so effortless, and he doesn't have to brag about them to anyone.

I feel like Arturo is a man who doesn't sweat the details and just seeks after what he wants. He wanted to get away from his hometown, so he moved to Windenberg. He wanted to become closer to Ch4n4, so he pursued her whenever he had the chance. This is a great message. Pursue your desires!

Second Batch

1) In what ways is this legacy similar to other legacies you've read, and in what ways is it different?

I admit I don't have a ton of legacy story-reading under my belt, but I can say that at least when compared to the more observation-driven legacies, this story is different in that it creates a reason for the founder moving to a new place, despite the fact that he'll have hardly any money. I liked seeing the hints at Arturo's backstory and am curious to learn more about it!

When compared to other more story-driven legacies, this story is similar in some of the themes it shares, like finding yourself and your calling. I think those are themes that are prevalent in many first generation legacy stories though, because of the structure of the challenge.

2) We were talking over in "The Art of Storytelling" about inclusion and diversity the other day. I immediately thought about this story and the way that diverse appearances are handled. Rae mentioned that she's intentionally not commenting on physical appearance in this story. What's your response to the ways that some of these Sims fit Western culture's standards of beauty and some don't and your response to the way that physical appearance isn't mentioned in the story?

What does reading this story reflect to you about the ways that beauty is culturally defined?

Honestly, I'd say most of the sims in the story, save for Arturo, fit western standards of beauty, even Ch4n4, who isn't white. And of course, I don't think that's because @ra3rei is some close-minded bigot or anything. I think it's just kind of the way townies generate, and most of the characters featured besides Arturo are townies. As for Arturo though, I think the way Rae handles his appearance is really touching! The fact that she doesn't mention it at all is very refreshing, since it shows that her other characters are thoughtful people who consider more than someone's looks when getting to know them. It's nice too that the people he interacts with outside of his friends don't treat him oddly either, like the people he talked to when he was selling fish and such to be able to afford the knight statue back when the legacy was just starting. It makes it so that Arturo's appearance is just something that is. It's not a problem, it's not a statement, it just is. And everyone accepts that.

3) Lighter question: What hopes do you have for Arturo and Ch4n4's future? What do you hope for Sam?

For Arturo and Ch4n4, I just want to see them continue to grow their relationship and maybe pop out a few more kids heh. Excited to see baby #2, by the way.

For Sam, I hope he can have a grand adventure growing up that feels like a pirate story to him, just because that'd be adorable :heart: