Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Feels too much like 2004

SimFan298SimFan298 Posts: 1,079 Member
Yeah, I know it feels like 2004 because it was MADE in 2004, but a few primal things feel obsolete by today's standards in that game.

Who remembers landlines? I just can't place any in Sims 2 homes now, and I make them use cell phones.

Oh wait, smartphones exist! See the problem here?
Origin ID: theAidster21

The Sims has always been an important part of my life, and may it continue to be so! Long live Sims!

[Due to some kind of glitch, I am unable to insert photos into my signature for some reason.]

Comments

• Options
    JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Hi. No I don't see the problem at all. Remember landlines? As far as I know they are not extinct, everyone I know still has one in addition to a cell phone. :D I actually love the fact that my sims don't have a cell phone, smart phone whatever unless I make them buy one, and I never do. :D I am all set with the obsessiveness people have with the dang things in real life, I certainly do not want that in my game. To each there own though, if it bothers you that much, maybe you should stay with a more updated version, where the sims never put the dang things away, much more realistic, unfortunately. :|
  • Options
    Landscapes101Landscapes101 Posts: 91 Member
    Well, those are little things that can be ignored, personally, that hasn't bothered me in the absolute. The Sims 2 has the perfect foundation for a great game and great stories with a little bit of CC it can be a very fun game.
  • Options
    WulfsimmerWulfsimmer Posts: 4,381 Member
    So basically you want EA/Maxis to keep updating the game each time new modern stuff comes? Alrighty then......:lol:
    Random-gifs-random-18723411-368-312.gif

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • Options
    Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    Doesn't bother me but I'm old-fashioned. I hate in newer games how everyone has a cell phone and it won't shut up.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited January 2016
    SimFan298 wrote: »
    Yeah, I know it feels like 2004 because it was MADE in 2004, but a few primal things feel obsolete by today's standards in that game.

Who remembers landlines? I just can't place any in Sims 2 homes now, and I make them use cell phones.

Ok first of all I don't know what is your problem. Second of all when were you born? Third everyone I know also has landlines in addition to at least one cellphone here. And honestly Sims 2 cellphones are far better than the annoyance that TS4 phones are. Sims in TS2 don't pop their phones at every two seconds to play a game or text and honestly that is an issue with this generation as well!

It's not about being "advanced" it's about being annoying and that is what the current generation is annoying because they keep their faces attached to the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 phones.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    I know we have a land line and cell phones. Except I have a d.u.m.b phone. I don't need a smart one and it's not a semi-permanent extension of my hand. Somehow I just don't feel the need to be "connected" at all times and I don't freak out if I'm not.

I do wish Sims having a phone was not set in stone and if we wanted them to have one we'd buy them. We do need landlines for houses too.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    cleo00cleo00 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Wulfsimmer wrote: »
    So basically you want EA/Maxis to keep updating the game each time new modern stuff comes? Alrighty then......:lol:

Oh jeez, that is a horrifying thought!

My house hasn't had a landline in years, and when we did we didn't have caller ID either. Now, if I see an unknown number on my smartphone I am conditioned to not answer it. I'm not even sure how many college scholarships or part time job interviews I've missed from not picking up a number I don't know.
    If we still had that ugly beige-yellow landline I'd have no choice but to get it. I could have a job right now!
    Also, I don't actually know ANYONE'S number anymore. You just click their name. I know my mom's number because she was the first of the 4 of us to have a cell phone back in the day. My younger brother just got his first one a year ago (he's 13), and I could not tell you his number. I just go in my phone and hit "Jack".

As for sims...I had a hack conflict or something in my game for years where the landline didn't work and they just kept putting the phone down so my sims HAD to have cell phones. I recently started from scratch on my laptop so everything works now so I'm kind of excited to let them have landlines again.

I don't think the game feels old or outdated or anything. My newest family, my simself and Michael Cera, we live in an apartment with two cats that I've decorated with 90% IKEA furniture. That's pretty much my dream home - something colorful and IKEA based. He is in the entertainment career and I'm in the adventurer career because that's the closest I think to anything geography related (my college major irl). We don't have any cars, but it is okay, as I can't drive in irl so I don't have a car anyways. My sim can't cook, just as I can't cook. And I do nothing with my life but play the sims 3 on the laptop all day long while Michael Cera goes downtown and makes friends for his career. I mean obviously I don't live with Michael Cera and I still live with my parents at home so I don't have a pretty IKEA apartment...but I think as far as being realistic it sure could be. It doesn't seem 2004-ish to me at all.
  • Options
    residentevilobresidentevilob Posts: 141 Member
    Ugh! I hate the cell phones! With the get together expansion in ts4 it never shuts up about parties! It's just like Preston garvey from fallout 4!
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    I don't see the problem except for posts that put down older games.... So, see the problem? Aren't you having such fun with TS4. You don't have to have a landline in TS2 UC or after Uni. You don't even have to buy them a cell phone. Awesome how there are choices in TS2. :lol: :P
  • Options
    sweetiebabe05sweetiebabe05 Posts: 113 Member

I don't see why everyone thinks you're complaining. I didn't take your post as a complaint, just an observation. I haven't had a landline in over a decade and I don't know anyone who does and if they do its just for telemarketers.

Yes the game does seem a little dated by today's standards. Think of all the things that have happened and been invented since 2004 but its still a good game. Just because they have landlines and computer's with big monitors doesn't make it bad its just what life was back then.
    531d4eef-f8a0-4d53-82d6-46c8f93fe9bb_zpslpma27lv.png

• Options
    joleacojoleaco Posts: 2,250 Member
    edited February 2016

Aaaah 2004....life was so much simpler then. 2004 is known as BC for me (Before Children), when the Sims ruled most of my free time. Anyhow, I digress...

Landlines, still have them here I'm afraid. Cordless, but they do have Bluetooth so I can connect my iPhone to them, but they are landlines nonetheless. Most people I know still have them, so I don't feel that makes TS2 feel like the "olden days".
    YmWXbP5.jpg?1
  • Options
    Joseph15266Joseph15266 Posts: 305 Member
    Things must be pretty different where you live, since I don't know anyone without a landline. Cellphones are the minority. Then again, I do live in rural New Zealand, were technology isn't completely up to date with the rest of the world yet.
  • Options
    joleacojoleaco Posts: 2,250 Member
    Things must be pretty different where you live, since I don't know anyone without a landline. Cellphones are the minority. Then again, I do live in rural New Zealand, were technology isn't completely up to date with the rest of the world yet.

Awww that puppy!!! <3
    YmWXbP5.jpg?1
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited February 2016

I don't see a problem. I have a landline. It's the number I give out to everyone and I keep the phone unplugged. Think of it as a junk filter. Yeah. I pay for it, but it's worth it if it keeps those calls away from my smartphone, which I use primarily as a browser and nothing else.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    EvermoreRocksEvermoreRocks Posts: 83 Member
    my landlines doent even work xD
  • Options
    Just because they have landlines and computer's with big monitors doesn't make it bad its just what life was back then.

I just got rid of my big monitor a few weeks ago :D I'm soooo 2004!
  • Options
    wolfkomoki1wolfkomoki1 Posts: 5,053 Member
    Well duh. The game was made in 2004.
    6JSxk49.png?1
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    TS2 was modern at the time, at least they weren't still clinging into black and white TVs with no remote such as the cheapest TV in TS1!

I mean, who still had black and white TVs back in 2000 anyway ;)
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited February 2016
    Weird. My sims tvs are not black and white in S1. And I play it vanilla. Still.

It's the one and only sims game that never needed mods or CC In order to play it.

It is what it is/was. And that's still good enough for me.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I don't mind them not having smart phones. I prefer it. It feels like In the sims 3 they are on their phones constantly. That annoyed me. I don't see it as much in Ts4. It there but it's not as bad.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

I loved the home phones because if my Sim didn't want to answer the cell (me,lol) I just had the kid answer and say they aren't at home. lol Because both rang at the same time). It was helpful to tell Sims they others weren't at home if I didn't want to be bothered with that needy friend who kept calling saying my Sim hadn't talked to them in the last two minutes. lol
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    stargurustarguru Posts: 2,115 Member
    While I haven’t had a landline myself for some years, most people I know still do. And if you don’t want to use a landline in your Sims game, you can choose to purchase cell phones for your Sims, as you’ve already stated you’ve done.

Options are great, and I appreciate having them in this game. For example, if you want to play a time period before phones existed, you don’t have to worry about a Sims butt ringing and ruining immersion or a screenshot like in TS3 with the forced cell/upgraded Uni Smartphone.

As for not having Smartphones available in TS2, what are some of the reasons you wish your TS2 Sims had them?
  • Options
    RealPollyMogsRealPollyMogs Posts: 478 Member
    There's a lot to be said for the good ol' days, when infants didn't leap from the cradle with a smartphone and when televisions and dishwashers weren't considered necessities. "Conference calls" are a nice option with TS2 landlines too, a great way to introduce other sims in the household to... say... your boyfriend's brother. ;)
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    There's a lot to be said for the good ol' days, when infants didn't leap from the cradle with a smartphone and when televisions and dishwashers weren't considered necessities. "Conference calls" are a nice option with TS2 landlines too, a great way to introduce other sims in the household to... say... your boyfriend's brother. ;)

I loved that in TS2! I wish we had conference calls in TS4 with the cellphones instead of speaking with one sim at a time. :)
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    @kremesch73 iirc at least one of the channels was black and white.
    My laptop had a meltdown at ts1 so I'm unable to play to check.