Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Feels too much like 2004

Comments

• kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    My next window of opportunity is Wednesday. Maybe I'll check then. I'm thinking it might be the horror channel.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • SimeggrollsSimeggrolls Posts: 637 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    SimFan298 wrote: »
    Yeah, I know it feels like 2004 because it was MADE in 2004, but a few primal things feel obsolete by today's standards in that game.

Who remembers landlines? I just can't place any in Sims 2 homes now, and I make them use cell phones.

Oh wait, smartphones exist! See the problem here?

Ok first of all I don't know what is your problem. Second of all when were you born? Third everyone I know also has landlines in addition to at least one cellphone here. And honestly Sims 2 cellphones are far better than the annoyance that TS4 phones are. Sims in TS2 don't pop their phones at every two seconds to play a game or text and honestly that is an issue with this generation as well!

It's not about being "advanced" it's about being annoying and that is what the current generation is annoying because they keep their faces attached to the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 phones.

Lol im apart of the generation and it annoys me to no end.I don't even keep up with social media XD. In the sims 2 if you buy them a handheld game they play it alot sigh :neutral:
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Yeah, I know it feels like 2004 because it was MADE in 2004, but a few primal things feel obsolete by today's standards in that game.

Who remembers landlines? I just can't place any in Sims 2 homes now, and I make them use cell phones.

Oh wait, smartphones exist! See the problem here?

Ok first of all I don't know what is your problem. Second of all when were you born? Third everyone I know also has landlines in addition to at least one cellphone here. And honestly Sims 2 cellphones are far better than the annoyance that TS4 phones are. Sims in TS2 don't pop their phones at every two seconds to play a game or text and honestly that is an issue with this generation as well!

It's not about being "advanced" it's about being annoying and that is what the current generation is annoying because they keep their faces attached to the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 phones.

Lol im apart of the generation and it annoys me to no end.I don't even keep up with social media XD. In the sims 2 if you buy them a handheld game they play it alot sigh :neutral:

In TS2 they only play the handheld when fun is not full. Unlike TS4 which will play that phone when fun is overflowing. Keep an eye on their fun if you want them to do something else to have fun. It's not like TS3 or TS4 where they do things just because nothing else is queued. They do it for reasons and fun is dropping if they play the handheld console.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    Why don't you just play TS4, instead of complaining about the other games?

Landlines are still quite common, many households still have them. I do not, but I know many people who do. Any many many businesses still use them. It's not that outdated.

Believe it or not not everybody in the real world has a smartphone either, or a cellphone at all. *Gasp* Not everybody can afford it or even has the desire to have one.

I just got into reinstalling TS2 a few days ago and have been playing it, and I have no issues with this. My sims only have a landline, they don't even have a cellphone... cellphones are so annoying and I kind of like not having one forced on me like in later games. And I have only a smartphone irl it's what I'm used to, but this is only a game. From 2004. What do you expect? Play the more modern game then, if outdated technology, in a videogame, is so bothersome.
  • PlumbobCrossingPlumbobCrossing Posts: 8,455 Member
    Its true more people are getting rid of landline phones, I know quite a few people who don't have one anymore, myself included.
    But I actually like it and don't mind it, it takes me back, I like that it gives me that feeling that I am back in the early 2000's. :)
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Its true more people are getting rid of landline phones, I know quite a few people who don't have one anymore, myself included.
    But I actually like it and don't mind it, it takes me back, I like that it gives me that feeling that I am back in the early 2000's. :)

I think there will be a time when landlines, outside of the workplace at least will decline and would be 'a thing of the past'

At least if you have a mobile, you know who is ringing you and I always ignore unknown numbers and withheld numbers.

The way I see it is, if people really need to contact me and they cant get hold of me send me a text and if I still don't pick up, there is a reason for it ;)
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    I have a landline because it came free with my cable... why not. Sometimes I break things and might need it. :)

I love it in TS2 and the OPTION of having it. :P
    edited February 2016

I think there will be a time when landlines, outside of the workplace at least will decline and would be 'a thing of the past'

At least if you have a mobile, you know who is ringing you and I always ignore unknown numbers and withheld numbers.

The way I see it is, if people really need to contact me and they cant get hold of me send me a text and if I still don't pick up, there is a reason for it ;)

As long as there's an option, I'll never give my landline up. As I said earlier, it's my filter. I do not want people I don't know calling me on my cell. The sound of my phone ringing annoys the plum out of me. Therefore, everywhere that requires my phone number that isn't someone I know personally gets my landline number. If it's an important call I'm expecting within a week or two, I plug my landline back into the wall and let the answering machine get it. I've yet to lose out on an opportunity just because I waited a few hours to return a call.

Cell phone is for texting. Texting only.
  • shadowiciashadowicia Posts: 591 Member
    Doesn't bother me. I don't even have a cell phone in RL LOL. I'm old school.
  • bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    I have a landline because where I live it is a cell dead zone. I can have one bar and sometimes it will ring, sometimes not. Can't talk on it even with the one bar...so landline is a necessity and since I love living on this island I'll deal. :)
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    I don't think cell phones are needed in a life sim, and if anything, they're more of a nuisance, like in TS4.

Who wants to watch their Sim fiddle around with a huge blocky phone, when there are plenty of other things that could be done?
  • willow_kiddwillow_kidd Posts: 45 Member
    Hey guys. I tried to share a link, but apparently 'I've not been around long enough'? I'm a little hurt.

But I tried to share a video of a little girl who didn't know how to hang up the landline phone. This conversation reminded me of it, and I thought you all would enjoy.
    Hey guys. I tried to share a link, but apparently 'I've not been around long enough'? I'm a little hurt.

But I tried to share a video of a little girl who didn't know how to hang up the landline phone. This conversation reminded me of it, and I thought you all would enjoy.

Lol. Reminds of the first DVD I ever watched. I couldn't figure out how to rewind it when I was done :D
  • BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,179 Member
    I wish my sims had the choice again as well. At home i keep a landline as more secure but cellphone for texts from my kids who work out of province. Latest cell thing is someone spoofed my number. Seems they use it to call or text someone and my # is the one that displays. Seriously people get your own life and number.
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,452 Member
    I'm surely thinking this post is full of youngin's. I grew up with ye olde rotary phone and Party Lines! What's that you say? Talk about annoyance. I once grabbed the receiver on the old black phone, with my parents' permission, to call a friend. I heard at least two others talking and chatting away. I must have said something or they heard me making a noise, because they very rudely told me THEY had the line and for me to HANG UP. Party Lines were for us rabble. Private Lines were for those richer than we were at that time, as they cost more to have. But, you had the convenience of using your phone when you wish to, and not having to worry about 'others' being on the line. Eventually, the Big Phone Companies switched all of us over to Private Lines, minus the hefty charge.

Ah, those were the days … :p
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • HermaiHermai Posts: 366 Member
    I have a landline, but we rarely use it. Just to call to other landlines, as calling from a landline to a cellphone can be expensive where I live.

But other than these little anachronisms, I feel like TS2 aged well. It has a timeless feeling.

Won't selfies and constant cellphone dependency feel outdated in a few years as well? :P
  • SimFan298SimFan298 Posts: 1,079 Member
    The reason I complained about this is because the Sims is about playing with life. People don't live nowadays like they did in Sims 2, and it really bothers me.
    Origin ID: theAidster21

The Sims has always been an important part of my life, and may it continue to be so! Long live Sims!

[Due to some kind of glitch, I am unable to insert photos into my signature for some reason.]
    edited February 2016
    Quite a few people do. Several people live in the country where there is no cell service. Their only option is to have a landline. There are also areas around the world where not everyone has cell phones. It's pretty narrow-minded to assume everyone is the same and should all have the same luxuries. The world is diverse, and a simulation should simulate all of that.
    Post edited by kremesch73 on
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Lol! Like TS4 is more like life. :lol:

It''s more than phones that makes a game.
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    Lol! Like TS4 is more like life. :lol:

It''s more than phones that makes a game.

Good point.
  • KatsKatsKatsKats Posts: 976 Member
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    I have a landline because it came free with my cable... why not. Sometimes I break things and might need it. :)

I love it in TS2 and the OPTION of having it. :P

We're the same. We have a landline that came free with the cable. We keep it set on fax because we do a lot of contract stuff, and few people around here use electronic transactions for that. Besides, keeping it on fax annoys the heck out of telemarketers. :)
  • KatsKatsKatsKats Posts: 976 Member
    I'm surely thinking this post is full of youngin's. I grew up with ye olde rotary phone and Party Lines! What's that you say? Talk about annoyance. I once grabbed the receiver on the old black phone, with my parents' permission, to call a friend. I heard at least two others talking and chatting away. I must have said something or they heard me making a noise, because they very rudely told me THEY had the line and for me to HANG UP. Party Lines were for us rabble. Private Lines were for those richer than we were at that time, as they cost more to have. But, you had the convenience of using your phone when you wish to, and not having to worry about 'others' being on the line. Eventually, the Big Phone Companies switched all of us over to Private Lines, minus the hefty charge.

Ah, those were the days … :p

While I don't remember party lines (we had one, but I was really small-too small to use the phone) I remember the rotary phones. Got my fingers pinched in them a couple of times.

There were also rules about how old we had to be to answer the phone-we had to learn phone manners first. I think I was 8 before I was allowed to make my first phone call, dialing and everything. I was so nervous!

You could dial a phone with just 4 numbers if it was local. And long distance was saved for special occasions. There was one telephone company, per state/region and you didn't have a choice. Eventually the phone company was split up because of monopoly laws. If I recall, for a long time, you rented your phone. It wasn't until later we could buy our own phones and styles.

The nice thing was, we weren't constantly bombarded with calls everywhere we went.
  • bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    I personally feel the smart phones should be optional in game anyway as some of us like to play times when there were no phones and is sure is weird to see them whip one of those out in their medieval garb. I still don't leave my smart phone on 24/7. I don't want to be that available to anyone!
    edited February 2016
    bekkasan wrote: »
    I personally feel the smart phones should be optional in game anyway as some of us like to play times when there were no phones and is sure is weird to see them whip one of those out in their medieval garb. I still don't leave my smart phone on 24/7. I don't want to be that available to anyone!

This is how I like to play. There are circumstances where I don't want my sims having any technology whatsoever. Maybe they live far away from civilization. Maybe they're stranded, or just dirt-poor, etc. I never understood why they took this option away. It just seems like I have far more freedom to play the way I choose, despite how 'dated' S2 may be/feel to others.

Plus, I missed having a landline and hated being tied to a cell phone in further iterations of the game.
  • HermaiHermai Posts: 366 Member
    The reason I complained about this is because the Sims is about playing with life. People don't live nowadays like they did in Sims 2, and it really bothers me.

Really? What do you feel are the biggest differences?
    I'm actually curious, but I don't feel like it is that dated, but it is a ten years old game, maybe a should feel it too. What bothers you the most? :)