Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Poll Result from Sims VIP of the best Sims game in the series

Comments

• Options
    HIFreeBirdIHHIFreeBirdIH Posts: 1,410 Member
    I know that the Sims 4 News site reported on news. Then they just stopped...
    Just some random Simmer you probably don't even follow on the gallery! Gallery name's the same as my username! Did I just rhyme there?
    xyIcMqt.png
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    TheSimer wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Is that forum focused on Sims 4?

It is not a forum. It is a news site about the sims.

I wouldn't actually call it news, but an advertising site for EA and those who like TS4. Well, o.k that might be news, but it's a little on the biased side and gushy, mushy. I prefer sites that actually tell me the good, bad and ugly.

I think it is mainly a news site. Yes they do review on packs but everything else is just news. They give you the news and you have to make up your mind how you feel about that news. I would not consider them to be biased to TS4. And if they are giving more news on TS4 that is because older games have hardly anything about them. They report about a patch or something. So if EA will release TS5 tomorrow and ends TS4 then they will give more news about TS5.

My point is that Sims VIP is focusing on what is happening now. And right now it is TS4.

There is a difference in hyping and or telling how something is in reality. And after the invite a few years ago, their site turned into a total ad campaign for TS4. It changed, I never hung out there but I do know after Simmer's camp the site (through links posted here) the site became one big fat ads everywhere instead of what I call 'news' Not saying they don't keep players informed because they do, but they don't actually tell what is not liked by players or what is left out players thought should be in there like other sites do. I just like a little more balance and not a site covered in ads of the game. Banners everywhere, but I supposed that looks good to people who love a game. It doesn't help for those who don't who are just looking for information.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Here's a good question. If the gurus put this poll on this site (not in TS4 section) but for all players who come here to see somewhere easy to spot which game do we think would win it? I would say TS4 wouldn't. I would say TS3 would win with about ten thousand more votes. Because most TS2 players don't hang out on this site anyway. Only a few of us.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Ravager619Ravager619 Posts: 3,738 Member
    You're right. That poll isn't accurate. I didn't get to put in my vote for The Sims 4. ;)
    "That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero." - Stan Lee
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,629 Member
    Every online website poll of this sort is biased by self-selection: who sees the poll, and who chooses to answer it. Unless a survey has been conducted with statistically valid methods, including matching for demographic info, it's just a game. This one says "People who happened across this poll and chose to answer it answered it like this." A poll here would say the same thing. Neither tells us anything about the opinions of all Sims game owners. (That would be complicated to develop a survey for - do you survey only people who have played all four games? Do you find that info out and then report multiple sets of results? Do you correct for demographics of game owners? Do you even have that info to correct for?)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    Every online website poll of this sort is biased by self-selection: who sees the poll, and who chooses to answer it. Unless a survey has been conducted with statistically valid methods, including matching for demographic info, it's just a game. This one says "People who happened across this poll and chose to answer it answered it like this." A poll here would say the same thing. Neither tells us anything about the opinions of all Sims game owners. (That would be complicated to develop a survey for - do you survey only people who have played all four games? Do you find that info out and then report multiple sets of results? Do you correct for demographics of game owners? Do you even have that info to correct for?)

That's why I said the proof is in the pudding and in all fairness TS3's base game out sold everybody even my beloved TS2 base game, in it's first week. So, popularity is in the money not the polling.

In the end, I don't think it matters which one is most popular anyway. If a game has an audience that enjoys it, that's a good thing for that game; and if the audience is big enough to justify the producer creating new content for it, that's great for those players, and probably a good nudge toward keeping the series going. The only reason I can see to care if your own personal favourite is more popular than someone else's personal favourite is if you think it somehow reflects on you,* and why would it do that?

* (not you personally, Cinebar! I'm just building on your comment)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member

I wouldn't actually call it news, but an advertising site for EA and those who like TS4. Well, o.k that might be news, but it's a little on the biased side and gushy, mushy. I prefer sites that actually tell me the good, bad and ugly.
    SimsVIP describes itself as the following:
    Founded in 2011, SimsVIP is the largest news outlet for The Sims franchise. We are dedicated to providing you with the latest news, game guides, tips, tutorials, and original content for The Sims franchise.

This site is not endorsed by or affiliated with Electronic Arts, or its licencors. Trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
    In other words, it's a fan site. Fan sites are obviously biased to some degree because they are built and maintained by fans. But fans can also be more critical than anyone.

I don't think you're going to find a single site that tells you the good, bad, and the ugly without any bias. When looking for opinions on products, it's usually good to get as many varied takes as possible for this reason. Which is pretty much the foundation of online review systems on places like Amazon.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited January 2016
    Only thing about those polls, you have to be a member to vote which I don't plan to be with that site and they ban people that don't agree with them so biased polls towards the Sims 4 is obvious. Anyway my personal favorite is the Sims 2.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    Only thing about those polls, you have to be a member to vote which I don't plan to be with that site and they ban people that don't agree with them so biased polls towards the Sims 4 is obvious. Anyway my personal favorite is the Sims 2.

You don't need to be a member. Anybody can vote. I think it will only registers your IP address
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member

You don't need to be a member. Anybody can vote. I think it will only registers your IP address

That is why you can vote multiple times.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    KatsKatsKatsKats Posts: 976 Member

I think it is mainly a news site. Yes they do review on packs but everything else is just news. They give you the news and you have to make up your mind how you feel about that news. I would not consider them to be biased to TS4. And if they are giving more news on TS4 that is because older games have hardly anything about them. They report about a patch or something. So if EA will release TS5 tomorrow and ends TS4 then they will give more news about TS5.

My point is that Sims VIP is focusing on what is happening now. And right now it is TS4.

Exactly. A lot of Sims 4 players are playing the Sims for the first time, and I'm sure even more than that have maybe played 1 or 2 previous games. Also, many people are comparing 10 year old graphics with today and just judge on that.

Sims 4 is getting all the press, so naturally, people are more likely to vote that way.
  • Options
    Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    I voted 3 in that poll- lol! Sims VIP is a good site but I don't who exactly frequents it- nearly all their focus is, naturally, the Sims 4 through and one would suspect it'd draw mostly Sims 4 fans as a consequence. I'm not surprised by the results.
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member

But if you don't feel welcome you certainly aren't going to go out of your way to participate are you?
  • Options
    MightydanMightydan Posts: 2,983 Member
    All versions of The Sims are pretty decent games.
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    @Cinebar wrote: »

Entirely.

Wrong. It's focused on any Sims news, and has recently talked about new patches for 3, new mods, CC etc.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Ravager619 wrote: »
    You're right. That poll isn't accurate. I didn't get to put in my vote for The Sims 4. ;)
    Did you just say a poll isn't accurate until you voted :D ?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    TheSingingSimmerTheSingingSimmer Posts: 3,348 Member
    edited January 2016
    jackjack_k wrote: »

Entirely.

Wrong. It's focused on any Sims news, and has recently talked about new patches for 3, new mods, CC etc.

Very rarely. I check it for sims news and almost all content is about 4.
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    edited January 2016

That's why I said the proof is in the pudding and in all fairness TS3's base game out sold everybody even my beloved TS2 base game, in it's first week. So, popularity is in the money not the polling.

Hold up, no it didn't. The Sims 2 has sold 6 million on PC. The Sims 3 sold 3 million in the first 3 months, but considerably dropped after the feedback from gamers regarding performance, and it slumped. In total, The Sims 3 has sold 10 million on all platforms as of 2014. EA wouldn't give a PC only number, and so it's hard to know. But the Sims 2 sold 13 million on all platforms as of 2014, so it's safe to say the Sims 2 is the biggest seller, not 3.

Everyone acts like the Sims 3 was bigger than The Sims 1 and 2, but it really wasn't. It had very short lived success because of the feedback. I remember when the Sims 3 leaked and everyone called it a BETA because they assumed based on performance, and yet when the final came out, it was the exact same version number and played exactly the same, and thats where it became a mess.
  • Options
    jackjack_k wrote: »

Entirely.

Very rarely.

Well, there's not as much news about Sims 3 to give, though, honestly. They'd have to be making it up if they were going to balance it with news on a currently-being-added-to game.