Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

If This Game Didn't Have the Logo...?

Comments

• Options
    BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    The Sims 4 has always felt like a re-imagining of the original Sims games (before Sims 2).

I feel like people who came into the franchise Sims 2 onwards have a sense of what the "Sims" is, but fail to see The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 drifted from what the game originally was.

If you put The Sims, The Sims Bustin Out and The Sims 4 side-by-side, there are huge similarities.

In some circles within the Sims community TS4 has been referred to as Sims 1.5 and not in a good way.

@JoAnne65 you described the Sims in past games in a nutshell for me. I loved TS2 Sims more than any of them. They had so much charm and character and were always doing the wonkiest things then ever once in a while would look up as if to say, "You didn't really see that, did you?"

As to the original question: I'm sorry I can't answer since I've never played Sims 4. I really don't belong here. I think I see some guys in white coats coming down the hallway now to take me back to the TS3 ward.

*No, no. No need for the straight jacket. I'll come along peaceably.*
    Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    When you are a nerd brain like me, it's hard to play a game and thoroughly enjoy it, if you are thinking grind/chore when things are broken in it. And if I had to sit down and compare TS2 to TS4 and not know TS4 was supposedly created by Maxis I might not believe it. Examples of just brokenness also hurt a game and frustrate players. Therefore, knowing the great work of previous games only hurts TS4's reputation much like it did TS3. (Word of mouth but that didn't stop TS3 from becoming a huge success). Things like skill bobs over Sims' heads long after they have finished doing that skill practice is just one example. Sims going along with their roommate when you didn't tell them to, is another. Sims sitting down before putting away books (and having to go to another room to sit first in some cases) or left overs. I could go on and on.

Then think how long it takes to accomplish anything. In this game you can't casually greet any Sim out on a public lot and hope to be friends by the time you leave. This used to be accomplished more easily in TS2 and even sometimes in TS3 by playing games together, but what games does the base game have (other than chess) that would help with this? None. So, a player has to rely on DLC or another DL EP, to 'add' a few more things to 'play' together however, what happened to 'play' interactions on the Sim itself? Gone with the wind.

I'm not knocking the animations they are good enough, however, clipping makes me think lazy no matter how many ways you say it. It just does. When I know my TS2 Sim can get around the other Sim in tight situation with more ease and not clip at all. I have seen it a zillion times.

So, I'm not understanding how impressive this 'clipping' is supposed to be. It's not like a multiplayer game where I would be more concerned about whether I'm winning or losing, or a tough battle going on and I need to win it and wouldn't care about clipping with a tiny character on a tiny screen. But if I put that game on a big screen there better not be much of it. Then my eyes go to detail. And if those details are skewed heavily then that breaks immersion. Just like seeing a Sim go through another Sim at the elbow, waist, sometimes the rear end, or full body to get to something or somewhere else. It wasn't necessary in 2004 and it's not now. Sims are a game that makes a player want to snap ten thousand pictures and nothing ruins that more than clipping. Forget staged, I'm talking about pausing and snapping a picture for your own memory preservation, and there is the clipping. Ruined the game for that type of player. Or any player. I don't think people want to share clipped pictures with others, either. It only makes it look horrible. It's o.k. on a phone app but not a game like The Sims and frankly never will be.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    The clipping actually bothers me a lot. I had a sim speaking to someone while standing next to them and she kept moving her arm through the other sim's torso while they talked. She didn't move until I made her.

Really wish there was a fix for that.
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited January 2016
    The clipping bothers me too. It makes the game feel choppy like a cheap clay animation film.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    SimmieSimsSimmieSims Posts: 234 Member
    Without the logo, I would have thought this game was an upgraded version of Kudos. A Sim wannabe game.
    "Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning." - William Henry Gates III
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    SimmieSims wrote: »
    Without the logo, I would have thought this game was an upgraded version of Kudos. A Sim wannabe game.

Actually, Kudos is all text-based, so not really a Sims version. And if it were a version of Kudos, I would think the player would have a choice to decide if their character would walk to work, take the bus, ride a bike, or take their car. And there would be a cost for taxi, bus, and car in terms of taxi fare, bus ticket or gasoline/petrol used for their car.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    SimmieSimsSimmieSims Posts: 234 Member
    I spent more time playing Kudos, than I've spent playing TS4. Sad truth!
    "Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning." - William Henry Gates III
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    I'd say, "Step your game Up EA."
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    But that's the whole issue isn't it? The animations aren's slightly strange, they're in your face. I quit playing Sims 1 because I couldn't manage the need bars (or rather didn't like having to manage them all the time), but I loved the atmosphere in it and the humour. The way they handled things. It was all so real, authentic and funny without rubbing it in. It was funny and quirky, not clowny and cartoony. And I don't quite understand why you say Sims 2 didn't have that, because as soon as I opened that game (the Ultimate Collection), I felt that same quirky approach. They're funny without being funny. They're funny among each other and you're allowed to watch and laugh if you wish, but they don't care whether they make you laugh or not, they are what they are. That's the best way I can describe it. In Sims 4 the humour is completely different. It's more like: "Hey hey hey, look at me, look what I'm doing, haha, ain't I funny? Look, I have to go to the toilet so I walk like this see? Haha, doesn't that make you laugh? Look, and now I'm grumpy, look at me being grumpy, woahoahoaaah I'm grumpy and now and now and now... I'm angry - stomp stomp stomp - wooooow watch out, I'm angry, you better not mess with me hahhah." Etcetera, they behave like toddlers (yeah, I know, sick joke) who try to draw your attention by exaggerating.

Sims 3 sims are something else but the funny thing in Sims 2 is, that those sims remind me of both Sims 1 and 3 (and not 4). They are more quirky in behaviour, but overall they very much remind me of my sims in 3. Also because of some copied animations I think, but that's not all. They are quirky, but also serious in a way.
    In Sims 3 they completely lost the quirky bit, which is why the way they act sometimes feels out of place for me, like when they're grieving, or flirting. I can perfectly understand why people dislike them for that, when the quirky part is important for you. It's just not for me, I'd love to see this game with a more serious approach (even more serious than Sims 3). That's personal though.

Sims in 3 aren't quirky because they're more serious, sims in 4 aren't quirky because they overdo it. They're clowns in the circus. Humour and overacting have become the focus and that's never a good thing in my opinion. Being funny is something that has to come naturally, sort of 'accidental' (or at least it must feel that way). Someone who tries to be funny never is. In Sims 1 their being funny had one goal: to highlight human behaviour. In Sims 4 human behaviour has become inferior to acting like clowns.

awsome descriptions, though i have to disagree with the TS3 not quirky at all, they are not that quirky & strange but
    there are some very quirky moments like eg the detective animations & situations, which is my most beloved career probably from TS3

but really your description of TS4 (the bolded part) is just right on spot & it makes me very sad that this game is like this because it is so shallow that way
    there is nothing that i can think behind the movements & behaviour of those sims unlike behind the behaviour especially of TS2 sims
    TS4 sims are what they are & there is no secret, no space to think different stories into them,
    those animations are detailed & scripted to death, they tell only one story & don't leave space for different characters of sims & different stories of sims' life

most unnerving is for me when those sims tell the joke, that one joke with that one long series of animation which is always that one, equal which sim tells it, equal which traits, equal which story i have in mind for that sim, equal in which relationship with the sim hearing the joke
    the sequence of animation, always 100% the same & BOLD & LONG ... unnerving
    or even worse, the first sim tells the joke with that one sequence of animation, both sims laugh & then the second sim tells his joke in exact the same sequence of animation & they laugh in exact the same way as before - this is so horrible to watch :confounded:
    another animations which are unnerving because they are repeated & repeated to death is the chewing & biting of the food, always the same way, no matter the sim, no matter the story ...
    well, the eating has at least some variation depending on the emotion but the character of the actor behind those animations is visible in the way how those animations play & i think this is bad for a simulation to tell very different stories of very different people

the previous iterations were sparse with those animations which were repeated often & this was clever & this let me think that the devs then played actually this game & saw & sensed that those animations don't ought to be more detailed & more characteristic because the more detailed & characteristic one animation is repeated over & over again, the more it draws attention to itself instead to illustrate the sim & situation & the player's story

i think there are just two options for the animations of sims
    * either they are diverse & many, matching every trait, every character & every story (which is of course very costly to make)
    * or they are rather neutral & sparse & don't need to be as many because they contain the space of a blank screen io to contain the projected character & story of the sim told by the player

TS4 doesn't leave space to tell different stories,
    the traits are shallow, the emotions repeat no matter the sim, the animations repeat over & over again
    that's not a good sims game - as simple as that :tongue:

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: »
    ..., however, clipping makes me think lazy no matter how many ways you say it. It just does. When I know my TS2 Sim can get around the other Sim in tight situation with more ease and not clip at all. I have seen it a zillion times.
    that's the sarcastically funny part about TS4
    it was announced as those routing problems that plagued this franchise since day one were now with this iteration completely solved,
    little did we know that it was "solved" by clipping :open_mouth:

i am not saying that i find clipping very horrible, i just find that solution quite laughable because it is just the most simple way how to avoid routing problems, just cut the whole routes out alltogether & let clip everywhere & good is :open_mouth:

• Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    I quit playing Sims 1 because I couldn't manage the need bars (or rather didn't like having to manage them all the time), but I loved the atmosphere in it and the humour. The way they handled things. It was all so real, authentic and funny without rubbing it in. It was funny and quirky, not clowny and cartoony.

And I don't quite understand why you say Sims 2 didn't have that, because as soon as I opened that game (the Ultimate Collection), I felt that same quirky approach. They're funny without being funny. They're funny among each other and you're allowed to watch and laugh if you wish, but they don't care whether they make you laugh or not, they are what they are. That's the best way I can describe it.

In Sims 4 the humour is completely different. It's more like: "Hey hey hey, look at me, look what I'm doing, haha, ain't I funny? Look, I have to go to the toilet so I walk like this see? Haha, doesn't that make you laugh? Look, and now I'm grumpy, look at me being grumpy, woahoahoaaah I'm grumpy and now and now and now... I'm angry - stomp stomp stomp - wooooow watch out, I'm angry, you better not mess with me hahhah." Etcetera, they behave like toddlers (yeah, I know, sick joke) who try to draw your attention by exaggerating.

That is probably the best description of the actions of TS4 ( and TS2 ) sims that I've seen. It's perfectly spot on. That is how I see them too though I was never able to put it into words.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    But that's the whole issue isn't it? The animations aren's slightly strange, they're in your face. I quit playing Sims 1 because I couldn't manage the need bars (or rather didn't like having to manage them all the time), but I loved the atmosphere in it and the humour. The way they handled things. It was all so real, authentic and funny without rubbing it in. It was funny and quirky, not clowny and cartoony. And I don't quite understand why you say Sims 2 didn't have that, because as soon as I opened that game (the Ultimate Collection), I felt that same quirky approach. They're funny without being funny. They're funny among each other and you're allowed to watch and laugh if you wish, but they don't care whether they make you laugh or not, they are what they are. That's the best way I can describe it. In Sims 4 the humour is completely different. It's more like: "Hey hey hey, look at me, look what I'm doing, haha, ain't I funny? Look, I have to go to the toilet so I walk like this see? Haha, doesn't that make you laugh? Look, and now I'm grumpy, look at me being grumpy, woahoahoaaah I'm grumpy and now and now and now... I'm angry - stomp stomp stomp - wooooow watch out, I'm angry, you better not mess with me hahhah." Etcetera, they behave like toddlers (yeah, I know, sick joke) who try to draw your attention by exaggerating.

Sims 3 sims are something else but the funny thing in Sims 2 is, that those sims remind me of both Sims 1 and 3 (and not 4). They are more quirky in behaviour, but overall they very much remind me of my sims in 3. Also because of some copied animations I think, but that's not all. They are quirky, but also serious in a way.
    In Sims 3 they completely lost the quirky bit, which is why the way they act sometimes feels out of place for me, like when they're grieving, or flirting. I can perfectly understand why people dislike them for that, when the quirky part is important for you. It's just not for me, I'd love to see this game with a more serious approach (even more serious than Sims 3). That's personal though.

Sims in 3 aren't quirky because they're more serious, sims in 4 aren't quirky because they overdo it. They're clowns in the circus. Humour and overacting have become the focus and that's never a good thing in my opinion. Being funny is something that has to come naturally, sort of 'accidental' (or at least it must feel that way). Someone who tries to be funny never is. In Sims 1 their being funny had one goal: to highlight human behaviour. In Sims 4 human behaviour has become inferior to acting like clowns.

awsome descriptions, though i have to disagree with the TS3 not quirky at all, they are not that quirky & strange but
    there are some very quirky moments like eg the detective animations & situations, which is my most beloved career probably from TS3

but really your description of TS4 (the bolded part) is just right on spot & it makes me very sad that this game is like this because it is so shallow that way
    there is nothing that i can think behind the movements & behaviour of those sims unlike behind the behaviour especially of TS2 sims
    TS4 sims are what they are & there is no secret, no space to think different stories into them,
    those animations are detailed & scripted to death, they tell only one story & don't leave space for different characters of sims & different stories of sims' life

most unnerving is for me when those sims tell the joke, that one joke with that one long series of animation which is always that one, equal which sim tells it, equal which traits, equal which story i have in mind for that sim, equal in which relationship with the sim hearing the joke
    the sequence of animation, always 100% the same & BOLD & LONG ... unnerving
    or even worse, the first sim tells the joke with that one sequence of animation, both sims laugh & then the second sim tells his joke in exact the same sequence of animation & they laugh in exact the same way as before - this is so horrible to watch :confounded:
    another animations which are unnerving because they are repeated & repeated to death is the chewing & biting of the food, always the same way, no matter the sim, no matter the story ...
    well, the eating has at least some variation depending on the emotion but the character of the actor behind those animations is visible in the way how those animations play & i think this is bad for a simulation to tell very different stories of very different people

the previous iterations were sparse with those animations which were repeated often & this was clever & this let me think that the devs then played actually this game & saw & sensed that those animations don't ought to be more detailed & more characteristic because the more detailed & characteristic one animation is repeated over & over again, the more it draws attention to itself instead to illustrate the sim & situation & the player's story

i think there are just two options for the animations of sims
    * either they are diverse & many, matching every trait, every character & every story (which is of course very costly to make)
    * or they are rather neutral & sparse & don't need to be as many because they contain the space of a blank screen io to contain the projected character & story of the sim told by the player

TS4 doesn't leave space to tell different stories,
    the traits are shallow, the emotions repeat no matter the sim, the animations repeat over & over again
    that's not a good sims game - as simple as that :tongue:

They do make me laugh sometimes. Like when they're turned down in public and start doing that sad walk. But I think it also makes me laugh because it always takes me by surprise, they're all serious and suddenly they walk away like that, completely depressed. They're not covered with quirkiness in general is what I meant. Yes, the hiding behind a bush is real funny as well :D
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    I don't know if people outside the US have similar TV shows but the humor in TS4 reminds me of some shows we have here like World's dumbest or World's funniest. They are a collection of videos people have sent in showing them doing the most ridiculous things. It's things like giving a buddy a paint gun shot to the groin.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    I don't know if people outside the US have similar TV shows but the humor in TS4 reminds me of some shows we have here like World's dumbest or World's funniest. They are a collection of videos people have sent in showing them doing the most ridiculous things. It's things like giving a buddy a paint gun shot to the groin.

Years ago we used to watch "World's Funniest Home Videos" and a lot of the time I found them hilarious because most of the time they weren't staged, they were just things that happened because of a series of events that deviated from the original plan. I've only ever seen videos of Sims 4's "humor" but have witnessed what's supposed to be funny in Sims 3 and it reminds me way too much of "The Three Stooges" and even from the time I was a little kid I never could stand them because everything was so contrived and most of it was just smacking each other around. I don't find hitting people, whether for pretend or real, comical at all. And this goes to the point of what it takes to create real humor, which is an extremely rare gift, and it's not pranks or Sims dying from embarrassment. Usually humor comes out of something totally unexpected, like when in Minecraft I was slamming eggs on the ground to hatch chicks and all of a sudden four chicks popped out of one egg. I so did not see that coming and the babies in Minecraft are so cute anyway, and just out of the blue here are all of these chicks with their too-big heads running willy nilly out of this one egg and I thought it was hilarious. It took me a long time to get to the point where I quit laughing every time that happened. Good humor is subtle and unexpected and fits in with its surroundings.
  • Options
    ..., however, clipping makes me think lazy no matter how many ways you say it. It just does. When I know my TS2 Sim can get around the other Sim in tight situation with more ease and not clip at all. I have seen it a zillion times.
    that's the sarcastically funny part about TS4
    it was announced as those routing problems that plagued this franchise since day one were now with this iteration completely solved,
    little did we know that it was "solved" by clipping :open_mouth:

i am not saying that i find clipping very horrible, i just find that solution quite laughable because it is just the most simple way how to avoid routing problems, just cut the whole routes out alltogether & let clip everywhere & good is :open_mouth:

lol, I should someday post a picture of one of my male Sim's reaching through his wife's rear end to get his juice out of the fridge. That stuff does drive me nuts. Or I know others have posted when they land at a their Sim's house and there is six Sims all melted into two. Or the time I took a shot of the Sims I made pass out with the satellite and found them joined at the heads with butts up in the air.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options

I can not bare those TV shows. And that one guy that used to be the host of one, who used to play on Full House, was the most boring TV host of all time. I just can't stand that stuff.
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    BSIRegina wrote: »

Years ago we used to watch "World's Funniest Home Videos" and a lot of the time I found them hilarious because most of the time they weren't staged, they were just things that happened because of a series of events that deviated from the original plan. I've only ever seen videos of Sims 4's "humor" but have witnessed what's supposed to be funny in Sims 3 and it reminds me way too much of "The Three Stooges" and even from the time I was a little kid I never could stand them because everything was so contrived and most of it was just smacking each other around. I don't find hitting people, whether for pretend or real, comical at all. And this goes to the point of what it takes to create real humor, which is an extremely rare gift, and it's not pranks or Sims dying from embarrassment. Usually humor comes out of something totally unexpected, like when in Minecraft I was slamming eggs on the ground to hatch chicks and all of a sudden four chicks popped out of one egg. I so did not see that coming and the babies in Minecraft are so cute anyway, and just out of the blue here are all of these chicks with their too-big heads running willy nilly out of this one egg and I thought it was hilarious. It took me a long time to get to the point where I quit laughing every time that happened. Good humor is subtle and unexpected and fits in with its surroundings.

I've seen that show but these are a collection of what I can only call bad frat boy humor....really really bad. They put a "friend" into a porta potty and shove them into traffic or fill a car air bag with flour and rig it so it blows up in the face of the person who stars the car. You know....nice, 'sane' practical jokes.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member

I use to watch those shows, but they got so boring and it felt as if I were losing brain cells while watching them. LOL
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    edited January 2016

This may not be funny to most, but yesterday while I was playing, I get a pop up stating that one of my elder sims has passed on. :'( Well, the family that I was playing last night has two elders, and one was building a snowman. As I get the pop up saying one elder has died, the elder sim building the snowman built this one:
    Screenshot-92_zpsmqjw3lxs.jpg

I chuckled at that. I thought it ironic that he decides to make that snowman upon his friend dying.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    InvaderchickycatInvaderchickycat Posts: 809 Member

This may not be funny to most, but yesterday while I was playing, I get a pop up stating that one of my elder sims has passed on. :'( Well, the family that I was playing last night has two elders, and one was building a snowman. As I get the pop up saying one elder has died, the elder sim building the snowman built this one:

I chuckled at that. I thought it ironic that he decides to make that snowman upon his friend dying.

I love that snowman! It is amazing I wish I could build one like that in real life <3
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    ... Or the time I took a shot of the Sims I made pass out with the satellite and found them joined at the heads with butts up in the air.
    :lol::joy:

it's not as funny as it is hillarious & probably very rare
    how often a sim passes away while a relative is building a snowman - sort of easter egg, great catch for you even if it costed your sim a life :smirk:

probably fine humour is also too hard & too expensive meantime :tongue:

• Options
    He was my first elder death in game since 2009. I've always played on epic, and then I adjusted the ages to fit my style or rotational play. So outside of my sims dying by accident or ROS roll, non have died naturally. LOL So this was a first, and to have the other one build that snowman. I couldn't help but laugh. :D
    ... Or the time I took a shot of the Sims I made pass out with the satellite and found them joined at the heads with butts up in the air.
    :lol::joy:

LOL I agree!

it's not as funny as it is hillarious & probably very rare
    how often a sim passes away while a relative is building a snowman - sort of easter egg, great catch for you even if it costed your sim a life :smirk:

probably fine humour is also too hard & too expensive meantime :tongue:

epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    AlanSimsAlanSims Posts: 713 Member
    edited January 2016
    I'd think:

- This is a nice game. It has some beautiful graphics.
    - It works better than laggy Sims 3.
    - If only it didn't have loading screens.
    - The landscape is amazing.
    - These people look better than The Sims 3 and more advanced.
    - Build mode is way easier than The Sims 3.
    - The emotion system is a great idea.
    - I hope this game makes The Sims producers feel competitive so the next release is like this and even better.

And of course, I'd also think:

- Lol, at least The Sims has toddlers.
  • Options
    @GoldenBuffy I'm loving the Grim Reaper snowman. It's great that the Sim built that at the same time their friend died.
  • Options
    juncedajunceda Posts: 2,614 Member
    Asking the OP question, I would have thought OMG someone is trying to emule The Sims, sorry for them, they are far to be not even half the fun and the inmersive that "my" beloved sims are!
    firma_zps7hsuhx2i.png

I can play at last TS2 TS3 and TS4 So great that toddlers are here!!!