Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Small update coming to the PC version of The Sims 3

Comments

• Options
    RapunzelRapunzel Posts: 130 Member
    ddutoit wrote: »
    I also live in Africa and our internet costs a small fortune!! So I tend not to play online games. I am giving that update a miss!

Wish I could do that, but they forced that update on me.
  • Options
    SuzyCue72SuzyCue72 Posts: 526 Member
    marstinson wrote: »
    Just as a wild thought, do you think the team might take a stab at fixing the incessant "reset to defaults" with each new graphics driver update? Can't speak to AMD, but nVidia's releasing driver updates a couple of times per month and each time they do, I have to put my graphics settings back (ever seen 1024x768 on an HD setup? It ain't pretty.), opt out of the celebrity system, turn off hail, put game length back where I had it (which requires loading a save - can't do it from the main Options menu), put the seasons back to their proper lengths and whatnot. No other game in either my Steam or Origin libraries does this and it's unnecessary. C'mon, guys. There are these things called .ini files that store things like the user's preferred settings. When an application starts up, it kind of reads that .ini file and then puts the settings to match the user's stored preferences. I realize that this is, like, crazy new bleeding-edge tech that we're talking about, but you really ought to investigate it. Or better yet, implement it.

Try this:

Copy your Options.ini file, and put it in a safe place while you update your drivers, and then afterwards just put it back, and all your settings should return to what they were before they were reset to default.
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    Is there any way to avoid this update with a fresh install? What does this update do exactly? I didn't want to download origin <.<
  • Options
    Kdubz18Kdubz18 Posts: 82 Member
    I have been reading about how you can install with a base game disk pre-2012 and you could be able to superpatch the game to 1.67. I managed to avoid the update but I'm wondering how exactly do distinguish the difference between a pre-2012 disk and a post-2012. Does it have to do with the box artwork and so on? I started playing the sims 3 in 2011. I just want to know, so if I ever switch computers or have to reinstall the game, I can avoid the update still.
  • Options
    Shadoza2Shadoza2 Posts: 1,579 Member
    My game updated itself, and now I can't play without Origin malware that I absolutely DETEST. Thank you EA' you destroyed the last game I like from you. Gamers want FREEDOM to play the games that they PAID for. Is that hard to understand?? I am beyond angry. My DISC is inserted, that should be enough!

Now I am uninstalling my game, with all the expansion packs that I PAID FOR, because I refuse to be forced to use Origin. This patch is a lame excuse to force Origin on a game that was previously free from it.Thank you for nothing, EA.

I wonder what is your thoughts on Steam (I am very curious)... :)

Steam is the same thing as Origin.

One can play games from Steam offline if they choose to hunt down the .exe files. I have had no issues using Steam and do enjoy some of the perks they provide. Origin has provided nothing
  • Options
    FoxifruitcakeFoxifruitcake Posts: 7 New Member
    [quote="ddutoit;14393760"]I also live in Africa and our internet costs a small fortune!! So I tend not to play online games. I am giving that update a miss![/quote]

I have actually not have any problems so far-even with this update you don't need to be online to play-i play completely offline-i have to log into Origin even though I am offline it still asks for me to log in-which I do-it seems its just to get the Launcher going and then after making sure my EP's are all active I have been able to play-completely offline so let's hope it stays good :)
  • Options
    [quote="Rapunzel;14393734"][quote="Foxifruitcake;14389199"]Ok-now don't laugh people. I live in Africa and I actually don't have internet-except on my phone. I have been playing Sims3 offline since I got it and never ever had a problem. Recently my pc had some issues and my pc guru friend fixed everything up and also updated my Sims games. When I got the pc back,I didn't know about this update so when I started the game I got a message that stuff was missing. It took me forever to figure out I had to check the boxes for what EP's I wanted to play-what crock! And now I have to check this every time I launch the game! Just hope none of my games got corrupted-have not had time to play and allmost too scared to but here's hoping that all is well in Sims Valley :)[/quote]

It's just annoying and that CAW isn't working is the worst. I worked on my world since June and I was so proud about it; now it's nearly finished. I'm so afraid that all my effort is gone.[/quote]
    That totally sux :( I would be really annoyed. Its things like that that just makes one want to give up playing alltogether.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Rapunzel wrote: »
    Ok-now don't laugh people. I live in Africa and I actually don't have internet-except on my phone. I have been playing Sims3 offline since I got it and never ever had a problem. Recently my pc had some issues and my pc guru friend fixed everything up and also updated my Sims games. When I got the pc back,I didn't know about this update so when I started the game I got a message that stuff was missing. It took me forever to figure out I had to check the boxes for what EP's I wanted to play-what crock! And now I have to check this every time I launch the game! Just hope none of my games got corrupted-have not had time to play and allmost too scared to but here's hoping that all is well in Sims Valley :)

It's just annoying and that CAW isn't working is the worst. I worked on my world since June and I was so proud about it; now it's nearly finished. I'm so afraid that all my effort is gone.
    That totally sux :( I would be really annoyed. Its things like that that just makes one want to give up playing alltogether.

No need to be sorry. =) I could fix it.
    06Bon06 wrote: »
    Is there any way to avoid this update with a fresh install? What does this update do exactly? I didn't want to download origin <.<

Yeah, there actually is:
    First I saved all my folders I wanted to keep on an seperate storage media, just to be sure.
    Afterwards I went to my liberary and borrowed an sims3 base game from 2011 (green cover with diamond framed sims faces) and reinstalled all my sims3 games with it. I made sure that neither the launcher nor origin were allowed to update themselves without my permission.
    Than I downloaded The Sims3 patchdownloader and started it. Before I downloaded the patches it offered me, I enabled the check-mark at "install automatically". When the files where downloaded, I clicked all the patches before the new update.
    Now I don`t have to worry about origin or CAW. Everything's like it was before. It was some effort, but it luckily paid off. ;D
  • Options
    GancannaGancanna Posts: 36 Member
    edited December 2015
    I wish I had checked the forums before logging in to do the Sims 4 update. Sims 3 was updated then. It's too bad we don't have a rollback feature for these updates.
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    Ok-now don't laugh people. I live in Africa and I actually don't have internet-except on my phone. I have been playing Sims3 offline since I got it and never ever had a problem. Recently my pc had some issues and my pc guru friend fixed everything up and also updated my Sims games. When I got the pc back,I didn't know about this update so when I started the game I got a message that stuff was missing. It took me forever to figure out I had to check the boxes for what EP's I wanted to play-what crock! And now I have to check this every time I launch the game! Just hope none of my games got corrupted-have not had time to play and allmost too scared to but here's hoping that all is well in Sims Valley :)

It's just annoying and that CAW isn't working is the worst. I worked on my world since June and I was so proud about it; now it's nearly finished. I'm so afraid that all my effort is gone.

No need to be sorry. =) I could fix it.
    06Bon06 wrote: »

Yeah, there actually is:
    First I saved all my folders I wanted to keep on an seperate storage media, just to be sure.
    Afterwards I went to my liberary and borrowed an sims3 base game from 2011 (green cover with diamond framed sims faces) and reinstalled all my sims3 games with it. I made sure that neither the launcher nor origin were allowed to update themselves without my permission.
    Than I downloaded The Sims3 patchdownloader and started it. Before I downloaded the patches it offered me, I enabled the check-mark at "install automatically". When the files where downloaded, I clicked all the patches before the new update.
    Now I don`t have to worry about origin or CAW. Everything's like it was before. It was some effort, but it luckily paid off. ;D

Hi, thank you. Unfortunately I very impatient as my game was totally broken and ended up updating. Idk thought because I don't see that new pack selector on my launcher.
  • Options
    marstinsonmarstinson Posts: 367 Member
    SuzyCue72 wrote: »
    Try this:

Copy your Options.ini file, and put it in a safe place while you update your drivers, and then afterwards just put it back, and all your settings should return to what they were before they were reset to default.

Thanks for the tip. I will certainly give it a shot and see how it plays out.
  • Options
    SuzyCue72SuzyCue72 Posts: 526 Member
    marstinson wrote: »

Thanks for the tip. I will certainly give it a shot and see how it plays out.

I hope it works for you. If it does, it will certainly save you some time and trouble.

Good luck! :)

• Options
    They should change it to: HUGE update and put a tutorial in the post, how you get rid of it.

• Options
    SimGuruDrakeSimGuruDrake Posts: 1,648 SimGuru (retired)
    Hello everyone!

I'm hopping in here as a few of you have been reaching out about CAW. We are currently working on fixing the CAW tool, I want to make it clear that this version of the tool will only work for those who took part in the latest update.

For those of you who chose not to update you will still have access to the previous version of the CAW tool.
    Global Community Manager for Maxis / The Sims
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    @SimGuruDrake -Thanks for telling us this.I ended up not getting the new patch and remained at 167.I didn't want to get stuck without CAW in the middle of a project.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    Hello everyone!

I'm hopping in here as a few of you have been reaching out about CAW. We are currently working on fixing the CAW tool, I want to make it clear that this version of the tool will only work for those who took part in the latest update.

For those of you who chose not to update you will still have access to the previous version of the CAW tool.

For once you actually listened to your community, never thought this would happen ever. Thanks a thousand times. That means a lot to me and gave me at least a little hope that EA is turning around to become customer friendly again.
  • Options
    SimGuruDrakeSimGuruDrake Posts: 1,648 SimGuru (retired)
    Hello everyone!

For once you actually listened to your community, never thought this would happen ever. Thanks a thousand times. That means a lot to me and gave me at least a little hope that EA is turning around to become customer friendly again.

We have been working on a fix for the CAW tool as soon as we were made aware that it was not compatible with our update (my apologies on not having updated the original post here as I also had a similar thread in Technical Discussion where I made that announcement.) Again, the fix we are working on will only be fixing the CAW tool to work for those who took part in the last update, we are not doing any fix to the current tool for anyone who may have been having issues with it that did not take part in the update.
    Global Community Manager for Maxis / The Sims
  • Options
    ddutoitddutoit Posts: 147 Member
    Hahaha EA! You haven't caught me yet with that update :) NOT going to happen either. Happy simming .. for me :)
    ❤️✿ I have a speech impediment ... my foot ✿❤️
    http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/ddutoit
  • Options
    [quote="ddutoit;14411546"]Hahaha EA! You haven't caught me yet with that update :) NOT going to happen either. Happy simming .. for me :)[/quote]

The update is not that bad. I have been playing offline my entire. Sims-I don't even have a connection-Update happened because a friend with Internet had to Re-install my games. It requires you to 'LOG IN' to Origen-even offline-but after that everything works fine-just start your game while 'logged in' to Origin and the after your game has started up-you can log out and close Origin if you really want. I have had no problems-just make sure all your EP's and SP's are checked before you start :)
  • Options
    lovescottie10610lovescottie10610 Posts: 31 Member
    > @HillyBeth said:
    > If we're supposed to get Sims points for Registering games purchased through Origin, then where are mine for Pets and Ambitions?
    @HillyBeth
    Any game that I have bought off for instant download I was never able to registered never worked, and once I had a new computer and installed origin none of my downloadable gamees showed up. I tried to call the help support but they couldn't do anything because for some reason when I bought those games there was no "sales receipt" (I cant remember what he called it but sales receipt is the gist of it) from their end to prove it. so I was F***** out of 8 games.
  • Options
    ddutoitddutoit Posts: 147 Member
    Some of us live in parts of the world where the internet either has "issues" or is horribly expensive. We don't all want to have to log into games or do things online. Lol ... some of us live in the third world. There is lots of it still :)
    ❤️✿ I have a speech impediment ... my foot ✿❤️
    http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/ddutoit
  • Options
    ShadowLabrysShadowLabrys Posts: 281 Member
    The update actually helped me I don't need seasons to play it anymore it runs like sims 4. Now wich is great and my mods seem to still work hope your stuffs good guys
  • Options
    DeuceyBabyDeuceyBaby Posts: 289 Member
    edited December 2015
    for those of us who opted out of the update in origin and are still on 1.67 or lower (I have a plumb-ton of awesome scripting mods I can't play without and don't want to take any chances, also I have given gameplay.package an extreme makeover to my EXACT liking where it is in a nearly unrecognizable state and don't want to have to start over) there is a plumbing awesome tool which allows you to have multiple game profiles, which use different mod folders, library files and yes even which installed EP/SP's are associated with it or language (stbl files) it will use.

available at http://www.modthesims.info/d/406814

edit: read all the instructions and use as directed obviously, and you still have to be at least on 1.22 or higher, when generations came out.
    Post edited by DeuceyBaby on
    I've got a double plumicide on 1st and Main. Witnessnes said the sus screamed you mother plumber (at the plumber and her son) and hit both vics with a round of ripe purple plums (plucked from the bountiful barrels of a 9mm shotplum).
  • Options
    HeyImRosieHeyImRosie Posts: 107 Member
    What if we use steam for sims 3?
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited December 2015
    HeyImRosie wrote: »
    What if we use steam for sims 3?
    Steam has its own update mechanism. Players on Steam installs do not get the new Patch 1.69, nor do those on the Mac version of the game. It's delivered through Origin for Windows only.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top