Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Prices on TS3 Store

At this point now that TS4 is out and becoming the main attraction, I'd hope that the prices on items, sets, venues, worlds, etc. in TS3 Store would start going down. TS3 is no longer a priority for EA, so why should we still pay $20 for one venue? I have been a loyal simmer since the very beginning, since I was a kid playing the very original Sims. I have probably put thousands upon thousands of dollars into this series (along with SimCity which I've been playing since it was on SNES) and I know many of you have as well, so maybe EA could actually throw us a bone and either drop the prices in the Store or start giving us more free stuff???

It's about time at least.

Comments

• Options
    OriginalMaraOriginalMara Posts: 1,669 Member
    If you click the ads for points, you can get everything for free. :)
  • Options
    lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,289 Member

This.

If you are able to watch the sponsor paid ads, then you get free simpoints without buying the points yourself. I have gotten many venues and other sets along with the worlds from just using them. I have gotten most of my venues and sets through the Daily Deals and from the Sale page for very reasonable prices. Once you get the sets from there, you then can go and check out the compilations to see if the sets that you have brought is in them and if they are, then they bring the prices down using the Complete your Set. Most of the compilations that I have gotten is because of the CYS. If I see a compilation coming up on the DD rotation and it's one that I need, I will wait for it as I can either get them for a few simpoints to the set being free because of the CYS.
  • Options
    AMofOzAMofOz Posts: 856 Member
    I can't recommend the Daily Deal rotation spreadsheet enough, to help you get the very best prices on things. It's like anything in life, you wait for the sale to come around to get it at its best price. Joining competitions and lotto's as well also helps. But mostly just joining in the forum fun and being actively involved and making friends also goes a long way, because people are willing to gift and help out.
    -Ann Maree (AM for short)
    Feel free to add me on The Sims 3 MyPage.
    I now own the store! (apart from avatars and badges)
  • Options
    simsgal2227simsgal2227 Posts: 12,279 Member
    edited November 2015
    That's not really free though. You are watching an ad, which EA was paid to show you. You get compensated through points, to buy virtual objects that was extremely cheap for EA to make. It is essentially work.

• Options
    lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,289 Member
    That's not really free though. You are watching an ad, which EA was paid to show you. You get compensated through points, to buy virtual objects that was extremely cheap for EA to make. It is essentially work.

Free is free.... :/
  • Options
    lisasc360 wrote: »

Free is free.... :/

You are getting paid to work. To get anything worthwhile, you may have had to watch like thirty minutes of ads, depending on the item.

If someone was like, "I will give you five bucks for a dance." And you agreed, pretty sure you would consider that work. Sorry for the example, it was the first that came to mind xD. Sure it's a more distinct example of it, but no, it's not free. Free means I will give this to you, with zero strings attached.

• Options
    AMofOzAMofOz Posts: 856 Member

You are getting paid to work. To get anything worthwhile, you may have had to watch like thirty minutes of ads, depending on the item.

If someone was like, "I will give you five bucks for a dance." And you agreed, pretty sure you would consider that work. Sorry for the example, it was the first that came to mind xD. Sure it's a more distinct example of it, but no, it's not free. Free means I will give this to you, with zero strings attached.

[/quote]

So it's good enough for everyone else but not you...Mkay. Aren't we a special snowflake.

Sorry but I'm in a very grumpy mood today, and these posts have sent me over the edge, so warning that there's a rant ahead...

Creating digital content does take money for them to make, there are many staff and creators who they employ to designed the games and items, all deserving of a wage - there is equipment and maintenance costs for them to work on, probably renting of a space where they work. Costs towards the website being hosted, and running, and the general upkeep of it, and the game itself to make sure it keeps working. Again all run with employees who get a wage. It's not like it's just one guy behind a computer. Even if it was, they are still deserving of charging whatever they like for things they have spent time and money creating and maintaining and keeping running and hosted online.

I mean by the above logic above, because there is a new version you people think you should get everything that came before it for free ? - in what world does this ever happen to anything, ever? Especially games?

We give you solutions on how to get items free or cheap - but it's still not good enough and you want even more than what everyone else already gets without having to do anything at all. Sorry, that's not how the world works, at all - and the sooner you realize that the better.

I'm usually pretty positive and mild mannered, but this has just rubbed me all kinds of the wrong way. Probably because I was already in a bad mood, and I came here looking for some fun and something to cheer me and saw this. So it feels like a slap in the face to see people being so spoiled and disrespectful, after seeing so much support and generosity throughout this forum from long-term members.

All I can say is you're in for a very harsh reality check if you keep up that mentality in life.
    -Ann Maree (AM for short)
    Feel free to add me on The Sims 3 MyPage.
    I now own the store! (apart from avatars and badges)
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    @AMofOz

I am not quite sure if you were only aiming your post at me, but I think you misinterpreted my tone and why I said it. It is a matter of semantics in a way, you can get simpoints without paying, but I don't think they're free, and I've already outlined why. I intended the tone of my post to be logical and methodical, not annoyed, or that I feel entitled to the store for free. I guess it may not have been necessary in most people's eyes to even mention it given what I just wrote, but I tend to point out flaws in logic sometimes. I guess I also wanted to address some people's responses (not just in this thread) to the 'free' simpoints. Many simmers seem to think 'oh alleluia, isn't EA so gracious to give us free simpoints!' When in reality, it's more like, 'this is a nice feature, but at the end of the day it's not really a service to us.' Just my perspective

I agree with you to an extent. EA is a company, and needs to make money. But I don't think it's a secret that many people think the store is over-priced. It makes sense of course that they need to make money, but each PC object, for example, is ~5 dollars. Holy crap. If ep's and sp's were priced similarly, given the amount of content they have, prices would go through the roof. I believe EA gets away with it because a casual sims 3 player will buy the ep's and sp's. But most people that have any large-ish number of content from the store are hardcore players, and are willing to pay the price. It's these people that drive the store and make it so that EA can charge such a high price for everything.
  • Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    At this point now that TS4 is out and becoming the main attraction, I'd hope that the prices on items, sets, venues, worlds, etc. in TS3 Store would start going down. TS3 is no longer a priority for EA, so why should we still pay $20 for one venue? I have been a loyal simmer since the very beginning, since I was a kid playing the very original Sims. I have probably put thousands upon thousands of dollars into this series (along with SimCity which I've been playing since it was on SNES) and I know many of you have as well, so maybe EA could actually throw us a bone and either drop the prices in the Store or start giving us more free stuff???

It's about time at least.

There was a Store sale (~30% or so) in early 2014. I was hoping that was an annual event but I haven't heard of a Store sale like that since. I think I shouldn't have waited and instead worked for those ads and paid attention to the daily deals. That's work too though. Depends on how badly you want a discount.
  • Options
    ajaxpostajaxpost Posts: 4,200 Member
    @AMofOz

I am not quite sure if you were only aiming your post at me, but I think you misinterpreted my tone and why I said it. It is a matter of semantics in a way, you can get simpoints without paying, but I don't think they're free, and I've already outlined why. I intended the tone of my post to be logical and methodical, not annoyed, or that I feel entitled to the store for free. I guess it may not have been necessary in most people's eyes to even mention it given what I just wrote, but I tend to point out flaws in logic sometimes. I guess I also wanted to address some people's responses (not just in this thread) to the 'free' simpoints. Many simmers seem to think 'oh alleluia, isn't EA so gracious to give us free simpoints!' When in reality, it's more like, 'this is a nice feature, but at the end of the day it's not really a service to us.' Just my perspective

I agree with you to an extent. EA is a company, and needs to make money. But I don't think it's a secret that many people think the store is over-priced. It makes sense of course that they need to make money, but each PC object, for example, is ~5 dollars. Holy crap. If ep's and sp's were priced similarly, given the amount of content they have, prices would go through the roof. I believe EA gets away with it because a casual sims 3 player will buy the ep's and sp's. But most people that have any large-ish number of content from the store are hardcore players, and are willing to pay the price. It's these people that drive the store and make it so that EA can charge such a high price for everything.
    Aye, I think it is possible to read your initial posts as a bit 'aggressive' simply because it is difficult to put nuance on a simple statement of opinion or perspective and I believe AM to be a perfectly sane (as much as any of us are) and reasonable and, as she said, was probably not in a mood to add any missing context to what you posted.

If I understand you, it's a bit like what we called "opportunity cost" in economics. By doing one thing you do not have the opportunity to do something else. By watching the ads I am spending time that I could have used to do something useful, productive, or maybe even earn some money. If I decide to stay in and play TS3 I'm not out earning money, so my game has 'cost' me the wages I would have got if I'd gone to work instead. So, even in my own leisure time while the ads do not cost us money they certainly cost us time (and time is money in the market economy!)

That said, we don't spend real money on them (well, unless you pay for your Internet usage by the hour) so in common usage we are getting them for "free".

At least it is not Free* which come with a * - if you spend so much, or buy thus other thing, or agree to sell your soul etc, etc.

Now, the one thing I will disagree with you on ...
    ... virtual objects that was extremely cheap for EA to make. It is essentially work.
    As Ann Maree described, even the simplest Store item costs money to create, even reusing an existing template (hello JCP items!) there are at least ongoing support costs to consider.

Yeah, I imagine they will have recouped a lot of their initial costs so it they could probably cover a Store-wide sale or even a permanent price reduction but, to be honest, I don't think their database could cope with it, most especially a permanent price cut because that would have significant implications on set prices and CYS - there would be chaos! :open_mouth:
    TreyNutz wrote: »
    There was a Store sale (~30% or so) in early 2014. I was hoping that was an annual event but I haven't heard of a Store sale like that since.
    That's it, once TS4 only the most essential support staff were left to look after TS3 and, especially, the Store. From watching the DD rotations over the years we realised that managing the Store and organising special sales is a lot of work and I can't imagine EA have got the staff, or inclination, to tinker with something that breaks so easily.
  • Options
    5W33TH34RT5W33TH34RT Posts: 323 Member
    edited November 2015
    You don't really have to "watch" the ads...

Edit: Maybe there will be a Black Friday sale this year??
  • Options
    SpruceGooseSpruceGoose Posts: 7 New Member
    Whoa, okay, I did not post this so people could have Internet arguments or debate this topic. I was not asking EA to just give me the items for free either. And, I do understand that the ads give maybe 5 SimPoints per view, but to me, that is an epic waste of time in a world where I don't have the time to watch so many ads just to get 1,900 points to be able to purchase one venue for a game.
    All I was saying was that at this point in time, maybe EA should LOWER the prices in the TS3 store since TS3 is now a backburner game due to TS4. I understand that there are sales, daily deals and what not, but I think all items store wide should be cheaper now that TS3 is not the main priority.
  • Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    Ohhh, I love the simpoint ads! I like to queue up up to ten tabs of ads running simultaneously. Well, sort of simultaneously. If you have ever had to suffer through a rousing rendition of Row Row Row Your Boat sung in a round in Kindergarten, you quickly understand why during the times of earning simpoints it is vital to turn down the sound. I tend to let them run quietly while I am poking around the forums, something which doesn't require sound. Sometimes I just grab a quick five points and sometimes I get click happy and get over 1000 in a short time. I have all I want from the store, but I do love to get for others and this has allowed me to do that and for that I am thankful. :)

I do wish the stuff in the store was a lot cheaper by now, and I also wish the Stuff Packs would freaking go on sale already. There are a few I would like but I can't see paying twenty bucks for a stuff pack when they put ITF on sale for 8. I snapped that up pretty quick when I saw it. But I guess the store and the Sims 3 stuff is still such a strong seller that they don't need to lower the prices to get them to sell.
  • Options
    Ohhh, I love the simpoint ads! I like to queue up up to ten tabs of ads running simultaneously. Well, sort of simultaneously. If you have ever had to suffer through a rousing rendition of Row Row Row Your Boat sung in a round in Kindergarten, you quickly understand why during the times of earning simpoints it is vital to turn down the sound. I tend to let them run quietly while I am poking around the forums, something which doesn't require sound. Sometimes I just grab a quick five points and sometimes I get click happy and get over 1000 in a short time. I have all I want from the store, but I do love to get for others and this has allowed me to do that and for that I am thankful. :)

I do wish the stuff in the store was a lot cheaper by now, and I also wish the Stuff Packs would freaking go on sale already. There are a few I would like but I can't see paying twenty bucks for a stuff pack when they put ITF on sale for 8. I snapped that up pretty quick when I saw it. But I guess the store and the Sims 3 stuff is still such a strong seller that they don't need to lower the prices to get them to sell.

The ep's and sp's are really cheap on amazon and ebay right now. I got an origin code for HELS for 2 dollars. The diesel one I saw for one dollar.
  • Options
    AznSenseiAznSensei Posts: 11,789 Member
    edited December 2015
    While we may argue what is considered free and not free, work and not work, etc....

I do want to point out with the lack of support for The Sims 3, at least do a PERMANENT price reduction after a period of time, while still having sales.

Or at least give bigger discounts for really old content.

I mean, it wouldn't hurt if a 1900 Simpoint Venue was reduced to a permanent 1400 Simpoint Venue after a year right? ;)

Taking note they did reduce the price of Expansion Packs permanently, why not the Store Content also?
  • Options
    TheGreatSquarkTheGreatSquark Posts: 77 Member
    I suspect the reason is they don't think it'd generate enough revenue to be worth the effort it would take given that the TS3 support staff is little more than a skeleton crew, and the store is already showing its age.
    Hey TS3 Fans! Don't have Late night yet, or have a friend who doesn't have it yet? I'm giving a spare code away on Christmas Day! Check it out!