Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I am a toddler-contrarian xD

Comments

• Options
    AthenaOnyxAthenaOnyx Posts: 3,921 Member
    I believe The Sims should be a well-rounded game that should strive to appeal to everyone because it's a game about life and life is everything.

Personally, I doubt I'll ever get into s4 enough to care what they add or don't add to the game. But, I can definitely understand the point of "family players." I have never see a baby just magically poof into an eight year old. It's kind of ridiculous that toddlers haven't been added yet and testament to how lazy EA's gotten.
  • Options
    BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    I am glad you guys are not the in charge for this game or else it would have been ruined!!
    You don't care for a feature is different than not wanting it because others want it. This sounds just too rude.

I feel like It was already ruined now I just feel like people want even less for this game :/
    giphy.gif

• Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    edited November 2015
    I've been saying all the time that toddlers should come next, but should they? At the moment I wouldn't swap Get Together for Generations. One problem is that I've started to long for some more advanced romance options with like system etc. I'm happy if toddlers come next, but I'm probably happy even if it's something else.
  • Options
    Sim_LucentSim_Lucent Posts: 689 Member
    I don't understand the point of this thread at all.

To summarize: OP is making a statement that they want toddlers, but then they don't want toddlers added to the game at all because of a spare few people who want the iteration to end if toddlers aren't added.

And then OP doesn't understand why people take offense to this statement..?

What was the point of creating this thread other than to dredge up even more negativity in the forums?
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    MandylcdMandylcd Posts: 1,713 Member
    Modifien wrote: »
    @HalloMolli Yes, it is, you're very right. I believe it's the vitriol and histrionics that get me. Being a contrarian isn't a virtue. :D

Are you referring to the "family players" when you use the words "vitriol" and "histrionics"? I have seen passionate comments coming from both camps, those who miss toddlers in their game and those who are happy with the way things are right now. Yes, there have been many threads, many comments coming from those who loved toddlers and want them back in the game. There are many threads and many comments about wanting toddlers because there are many Simmers who enjoyed them in their game. But there are also many threads, such as this one, that contain comments from those who don't feel the same way about toddlers-or from people expressing their frustration with the "family players" who communicate their disappointment.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    This thread is a fuzzy ball of crazy :p
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    OP, you realize you made a thread complaining about people that make threads complaining about toddlers while also complaining about toddlers, right? :D:p;):*
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    ModifienModifien Posts: 363 Member
    @Sim_Lucent Mostly to complain about the complainers. Previous to posting, I was reading a thread that had nothing to do with toddlers, that sadly derailed into the usual vitriol and found myself with this reaction.

Sometimes, people who feel really passionately about something, even if it's a good thing, can spoil the entire thought for other people. Unfortunately, that's what's starting to happen to me, and the absurdity of that amused me, because I do actually want toddlers and look forward to them being added eventually.

I forgot that when people are fanatic about something, they often overreact to anything that's toward the opposite end. Especially when someone (me, in this case) says that the fanatics themselves are what's making them feel that way.

I'm not typically a contrarian, so the fact that I'm developing this reaction about this topic took me by surprise. I think it's funny that it's against my own wants and desires. I laugh at myself freely, especially when I'm being absurd, and I typically admit that, too. There are a lot of threads where people laugh at themselves, why not this one?
  • Options
    @Modifien So.. you were hoping to poke fun at yourself by also poking fun at others?

The word 'vitriol' keeps coming up (not just in this thread) and all I can do is shake my head and try not to throw my hands up in the air -- the vitriol that comes about through these heated debates starts with conversations just like this. There is no point to it except to pour some gas and light a match.

We can speak about 'fanatics' and 'toddler lovers' and the 'haters' all day -- at the end of it, you're just making a blanket statement and hoping to punish anyone who wants toddlers in to this one group and label it.

If you're looking to have an in depth conversation about your feelings, I feel like you might have started it in a manner that won't end in a way you are hoping.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    @Sim_Lucent You're probably right. I do wish to clarify that I use the term 'fanatics' to distinguish them from the normal people who comment about toddlers when there's a reason to, and don't go hysterical that the entire franchise is d00med without them. There are both.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    I am glad you guys are not the in charge for this game or else it would have been ruined!!
    You don't care for a feature is different than not wanting it because others want it. This sounds just too rude.

This is weird but I 100% agree with you.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Aine wrote: »
    OP, you realize you made a thread complaining about people that make threads complaining about toddlers while also complaining about toddlers, right? :D:p;):*

I had to read that 3 times to make sense of it ;)

On a serious note, I think it's about time they added toddlers so no one will be able to complain about not having them and then no one will be able to complain about the people complaining :smiley:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    @aine Nope! I made a thread complaining about people complaining about toddlers in threads not about toddlers. :D

Well, actually, I made a thread laughing at my own plum-backward, counter-productive, absurd reaction to the above.
  • Options
    Well, actually, I made a thread laughing at my own plum-backward, counter-productive, absurd reaction to the above.

I don't agree with the way some things have been phrased in this thread, but tbh.. I don't agree with the way things are phrased in the majority of threads.

But in terms of the above in quotes, wouldn't this just be typical human nature on average?

- "I don't have what I want in this game, so I want them to scrap it and move to the next version."
    - "Well I don't want you to have what you want in this game because you want them to scrap the game I like."

Around the merry-go-round we go.. Again, and again..

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    @Sim_Lucent In my view, it looks more like:

"I don't have this one thing I want in the game, so I'm going to scream about it over and over again, despite the fact that it's been screamed about loudly, often, and even acknowledged by the game's developers."

"I'm tired of hearing you scream, and your continued screaming makes me dislike you so much that I dislike your topic by proxy."
  • Options
    @Sim_Lucent In my view, it looks more like:

"I don't have this one thing I want in the game, so I'm going to scream about it over and over again, despite the fact that it's been screamed about loudly, often, and even acknowledged by the game's developers."

"I'm tired of hearing you scream, and your continued screaming makes me dislike you so much that I dislike your topic by proxy."

I have absolutely nothing nice to say about any of that other than the hypocrisy of the statement is interesting. I guess we'll need to agree to disagree.

Have fun with your topic created to continue the screaming about people screaming and moan about the vitriol of the community while serving it up without any hesitance.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    KaiKai Posts: 132 Member
    I swear man,

Talking about Toddlers on this forum is like talking about religion...

No one can be titled to their own opinion.
    img
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    @Mandylcd Oh, no, not at all. I probably consider myself a family player. I love playing house with my sims, and really enjoy it. By histrionics and vitriol, I'm talking about the very rabid people who declare the entire iteration a complete waste and EA is d00med because they're not included, and anyone who feels otherwise has low standards for the game. :P

@Sigzy05 Oh yeah. I think it's going to be very, uh, 'toasty'. That's definitely a good adjective for a flame war.

@sim_lucent Oh dear, am I screaming? That wasn't the intention at all.
  • Options
    PlumbobCrossingPlumbobCrossing Posts: 8,455 Member
    Well hey while were at it lets not add anything that anybody wants to the game. Forget toddlers, infact forget adding any kind of game play for this game completely.. that way everybody can be disappointed and displeased together! Fun times.

tumblr_ljsevez4J01qj7o0ho1_400.gif
  • Options
    KaiKai Posts: 132 Member
    I've been saying all the time that toddlers should come next, but should they? At the moment I wouldn't swap Get Together for Generations. One problem is that I've started to long for some more advanced romance options with like system etc. I'm happy if toddlers come next, but I'm probably happy even if it's something else.

I would LOVE for romance to come before children to be honest. Theres a lot of cool stuff coming with GT and I honestly cannot wait.
    img
  • Options
    edited November 2015

@sim_lucent Oh dear, am I screaming? That wasn't the intention at all.

No less or more than anyone else is.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    PallystylePallystyle Posts: 2,415 Member
    Toddlers, if done right, could add so much to the game. As they do in real life, they add some spice.

I am starting to miss them a bit more. It'll be nice when they come back.
    My Sims 4 Creations= Click Here ;) Find me on origin at Pallystyle
    My Murkland Challenge Adventures: Click Here

• Options
    @pallypoo I agree. Especially if, like someone else said above, they look like that adorable render we saw earlier.
  • Options
    mrswoo5mrswoo5 Posts: 2,143 Member
    I rarely come here anymore because of the toddler posts. Like many I also had a lot of sympathy at first, but it got old fast.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited November 2015
    Toddlers life stage should have been in the base game where they belong. However, they are not. I bought the game after knowing this fact. I bought it on sale because it didn't have toddlers (which were promised, btw) and to me because of that fact it wasn't worth the full asking price. I think for the price 'I' paid it's fair enough for my concerns. There are a zillion things I need improved and changed to suit me. But that won't stop me from playing with parts of the game I do like. And then come back to report bugs or problems and how to improve even those things. :# But I'm not going to promise anybody anymore I won't buy this or that. There were many things I don't like about all of them and many things I love about all of them. TS2 being the best game of all time. I wonder does that hurt Will Wright's feelings? Maybe? But I loved TS2 more than I loved The Sims. Other people love The Sims more, and never moved over to TS2. And TS2 players never moved on to TS3 (some of them)like me until the game had many more things after giving the base game a try. I didn't buy anything else for it until three years later. And I enjoyed those things I did buy.

So, I will always have this argument with myself, which is better? lol But I'm not going to promise anyone anymore because a game doesn't have something in it, that I can't find fun in other areas. I already bought it, might as well play it, and or put it away and wait until they create something later, like they did in TS3 that I did like later. Same difference to me anymore.

I stay here because I 'do' like some things about TS4, not because I want them to kill this game but just improve it 'for me' because it is 'me' playing it. And what other people want is fine, too, but I hope I get the things I want. lol Selfish? Maybe, but that is why we all buy a game to play the parts we want to play. I just hope those things become more evident over time to most.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.