Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Frontier Farm Contest *(CLOSED, THANKS ALL!)*

Comments

• Options
    Readalot1Readalot1 Posts: 338 Member
    Wow @simgeek79 that looks fantastic! Totally representative of Little House on the Prairie. When I was little, I used to watch that show all the time! For some odd reason, it was always on at like 8 in the morning before I went off to school. *walks down memory lane*

@StephSteb - I've never had any issues with the forums like that. I was able to log in on my computer without a problem...
    I'm a real girl now! I have a signature!
    My Wishlist here .
    My Thank You Thread here .
    My Top 5 here .
  • Options
    TeaniasTeanias Posts: 2,160 Member
    edited November 2015
    @simgeek79 I used to watch the show to it does look a lot like it!
    The outhouse toilet you used must have come with an expansion pack I was hoping it was a store item. I had to make a my farm modern because I couldn't do a decent out house!
    Post edited by Teanias on
  • Options
    StephStebStephSteb Posts: 2,271 Member
    I must have clicked something wrong in my account settings. I turned off "Login Authentication" and it's working again. lol
    asset_3015__big_no.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    simgeek79simgeek79 Posts: 2,173 Member
    Thanks @Readalot1 and @Teanias <3 yes that was a family classic and never left a dry eye in our house that's for sure.

When I was doing my research for the build, I came across this blog written by someone who had just finished watching all six seasons...it made me laugh, so while it is long, I just had to share it with you...

"I just re-watched the DVDs, seasons 1-6. I really loved this show as a kid, and I still think it's really good. You don't get many heart-warming shows on TV anymore. But I did learn several important lessons from watching 6 years of Little House over the course of a week:

Pa Ingalls invented the open-concept floor plan. Not a wall or door to be found in the “little house.”

Everyone else, no matter how poor, has plastered walls, pictures hanging on the walls, and real dishes. The Ingalls family has partially-plastered, partially bare wooden walls, and no pictures hanging up. The daughters sleep in the loft, under the bare wood roof shingles, and you can even see sunlight through the holes in the roof (but they are never cold at night). They use wood and metal plates and cups. In one episode, Charles bought Caroline a used set of china, but we never saw it after that one episode. I guess it all broke.

If you are under 16, whether male or female, and you get upset, upset enough to cry, you must RUN. I mean run. Run really fast. Run for at least a mile. Run off to the woods, or to the creek, or to a fence, and then cry. Once you’re 16 or older, you can just cry where you’re standing.

Pa must cry at least once in every episode. If it happens to be a lighthearted episode where he doesn’t cry, he must cry extra in the next episode. Really, you could make this into a drinking game. You get to chug a whole beer whenever Pa takes his shirt off to show his tanned muscular chest.

Every season, someone must adopt an orphan. Adopting several orphans is actually preferable. Like kitties.

Walnut Grove is a really, really small town, but in each episode, you’ll meet a character or a whole family that you’ve never seen before, and that you’ll never see again.

The Ingalls family is poor, and they never have the money they need for something really important like surgery, a necessary trip to a distant city, eyeglasses, or shoes (until some miracle happens and they get it). But sometimes, they get something, or travel someplace that must have been really expensive, and there’s no explanation as to how they paid for it. For example, Laura suddenly has her own horse--not a horse that works the farm--just a horse to ride for fun. But it's okay, because it dies after a couple episodes.

Pa is a master carpenter (he is always the first one hired to build or repair a building, he even made and sold beautifully crafted fine furniture. But he never added on to the house as the family got bigger (the small dinky kitchen being the exception, but a handyman really did the work), and he had his family sitting on plain splintery wood furniture made of naked planks. Only the mantel and Ma & Pa’s head board had any carving whatsoever.

If you have a nightmare during the night, it is mandatory that you sit up in bed really quickly and gasp.

Little Carrie is a helpless little pain in the behind. She had an obvious speech delay until at least age 5 or 6 (all she could do was babble incoherently or blurt out one cute but garbled line). Anything bad that could happen to her would happen (falling down a mine shaft for example.) At the same time, Laura and Mary could be trusted to go miles from home, unaccompanied by an adult, and they were only a couple years older than Carrie. Then suddenly when Carrie is about 7, it’s perfectly fine to leave her alone and ask her watch her little sister Grace, as if she’s no longer a helpless little menace who will stumble into the fireplace. "

...Need to check local tv listings for reruns... ;)

So glad you figured it out Steph. The email did look legit but you never know with those things :neutral:
    I now Own the Store!!...Thank you to everyone who helped me get here <3

Are u new to the Store? Then check out: the Daily Deal Thread
    - Cascades & Daily Deals & Love Kids Stuff? Check this out!
  • Options
    @simgeek79 OMG. I was just transported back to 6 years old and we watched Little House On The Prairie all of the time. That's also when my entire room was decorated in Holly Hobbie! lol
  • Options
    lol! I had a Holly Hobby doll and lunch box :blush: It was so much fun putting it together. My favourite photo was the last one I uploaded. Mary having dinner at the kitchen table, Ma rocking Carrie to sleep, Pa playing his fiddle and Laura watching her Pa play with that look of awe in her eyes :smile:

I broke down and reinstalled all of my EPs and SPs to do it though...I was doing okay with just the base game and all my store stuff, but then i decided I just had to have Jack the dog, Pa needed a horse and I really wanted the covered wagon. I didn't want to reinstall out of order so I installed it all up to Seasons. I hope to buy the last couple of SPs I dont own (the movie one and 70s 80s 90s when and if they go on sale Thanksgiving weekend. Then I'll install them and the rest of my stuff.

I thought I would also share something with all of you new to the store folks (seems I'm in a sharing mood today - lol). @kellycot1 a self described "fanatical, disturbingly obsessive Simmer" has painstakingly created The Simdex which is 'home to the Sims 3 Store PDF checklist'. When you have a chance, check it out, download it and then you can 'check' off the items you own. You can also see what things came with what sets / venues / worlds etc...

@Teanias I think the toilet I used came from World Adventures. I'm not sure though...I believe its the toilet used in the Egyptian world...I will check next time I'm in game. :)

• Options
    KtarianKtarian Posts: 314 Member
    @simgeek79 said:
    > lol! I had a Holly Hobby doll and lunch box :blush: It was so much fun putting it together. My favourite photo was the last one I uploaded. Mary having dinner at the kitchen table, Ma rocking Carrie to sleep, Pa playing his fiddle and Laura watching her Pa play with that look of awe in her eyes :smile:
    > I thought I would also share something with all of you new to the store folks (seems I'm in a sharing mood today - lol). kellycot1 a self described "fanatical, disturbingly obsessive Simmer" has painstakingly created The Simdex which is 'home to the Sims 3 Store PDF checklist'. When you have a chance, check it out, download it and then you can 'check' off the items you own. You can also see what things came with what sets / venues / worlds etc...

Holly Hobbie! I have three Holly Hobbie patterns I found on the exchange. I love them to death. When I was a kid I had a Holly Hobbie sheet set for my bed. Loved it.

I'm definitely going to check out the Simdex! Thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    I to had a lot of holly Hobbie stuff as a kid to and loved her bonnet and dress! Years later I read The Adventures of Holly Hobbie which is when I found out she was a ghost! It is a great story and it is a children's story but I was surprised to find out in the holly hobby book she is a ghost!
    I found a bunch of holly hobbie pictures on the site below
    http://www.wallcoo.net/paint/Holly_Hobbie_Calendar/index.html
    Now if I copied some of these pictures and made patterns with them could I upload them to the exchange or would there be some sort of copyright infringements problems?
  • Options
    AMofOzAMofOz Posts: 856 Member
    simgeek79 wrote: »
    When I was doing my research for the build, I came across this blog written by someone who had just finished watching all six seasons...it made me laugh, so while it is long, I just had to share it with you...

"I just re-watched the DVDs, seasons 1-6. I really loved this show as a kid, and I still think it's really good. You don't get many heart-warming shows on TV anymore. But I did learn several important lessons from watching 6 years of Little House over the course of a week:

(snipped)

OH Gosh this brought back SO many memories, too! It was always on repeats here growing up! The same with The Waltons and other similar shows, like Bonanza. etc. I always loved them!

I totally remember in both shows of Little House and The Waltons they were supposed to be really very poor families, and especially with The Waltons in the depression era - but always had a table full of food with large bowls and plates loaded with different food items, at both breakfast, and supper times! Always amazing lol.

Another huge favourite of mine is still the Anne of Green Gables movies!
    -Ann Maree (AM for short)
    Feel free to add me on The Sims 3 MyPage.
    I now own the store! (apart from avatars and badges)
  • Options
    Well I have to say I am very impressed with all of the builds submitted so far. What a great idea this was @StephSteb and you're doing a great job hosting your first ever contest :)

After having so much fun with the Theme Park contest, I just couldn't resist doing this one too. When I read "Frontier Farm Contest", I immediately thought of one of the original frontier farming families, The Ingalls... I have provided a link to just the lot as well as one to the family in case anyone is interested. I didn't fuss too much with their facial features. I just kept it kind of simple and focused more on the house build.

So here is my entry:

Forum name: simgeek79
    Wishlist link: Franny
    Link to Lot on the Exchange: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8791318
    Link to Family on the Exchange: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8791303
    Link to Family Living on Lot on the Exchange: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8791302

This is awesome!!!
  • Options
    we need to make a green gables house now! hehee :relaxed:
  • Options
    KtarianKtarian Posts: 314 Member
    YESSS. A Green Gables house would be awesome. :D
  • Options
    Lol! That's a great idea. Grandpas Grove kind of reminds me of it with its colors. It would be cool to create entire neighbourhoods with lots and families for Walnut Grove and Avonlea. Someone could create the Olesons and build their house /store. Someone else could build Doc Baker and his home etc....

We took the family out to Prince Edward Island (Canadian province where Anne lived) and saw the house, the train station etc...even bought a straw hat with ginger hair / braids attached. It has sat in my room for 11 yrs on a dresser...I keep trying to convince my girls to dress up as her for Halloween or school history projects but nada...so it sits... Lucy Maud Montgomery lived and died in a town about 20 mins north of me...one of these days i need to go check out the little museum they've established in her honour :)

• Options
    djsdragongirldjsdragongirl Posts: 843 Member
    Teanias wrote: »
    I to had a lot of holly Hobbie stuff as a kid to and loved her bonnet and dress! Years later I read The Adventures of Holly Hobbie which is when I found out she was a ghost! It is a great story and it is a children's story but I was surprised to find out in the holly hobby book she is a ghost!
    I found a bunch of holly hobbie pictures on the site below
    http://www.wallcoo.net/paint/Holly_Hobbie_Calendar/index.html
    Now if I copied some of these pictures and made patterns with them could I upload them to the exchange or would there be some sort of copyright infringements problems?

You could do it and not have to worry about copyright infringements, I have seen many people take popular movies and other things and do it all the time. I have seen people do it with Snoopy, Hello Kitty, and many others. I say go for it, I will definitely download them. I never knew Holly Hobby was a ghost and I grew up with her as well.
    Lol! That's a great idea. Grandpas Grove kind of reminds me of it with its colors. It would be cool to create entire neighbourhoods with lots and families for Walnut Grove and Avonlea. Someone could create the Olesons and build their house /store. Someone else could build Doc Baker and his home etc....

We took the family out to Prince Edward Island (Canadian province where Anne lived) and saw the house, the train station etc...even bought a straw hat with ginger hair / braids attached. It has sat in my room for 11 yrs on a dresser...I keep trying to convince my girls to dress up as her for Halloween or school history projects but nada...so it sits... Lucy Maud Montgomery lived and died in a town about 20 mins north of me...one of these days i need to go check out the little museum they've established in her honour :)

This sounds like a wonderful idea for a new contest or just for fun. I'd love to do something like this if everyone agree's to it for maybe the next part of @StephSteb Frontier Farm Contest. :) Just an idea :):)
  • Options
    I have so many build contest ideas. I'm glad I am not the only one who loves building!
  • Options
    Kaela_87Kaela_87 Posts: 520 Member
    edited November 2015
    I just posted my entry but it hasn't appeared! Odd... :/:(

Edit: As advised as my previous post had to be approved!

TS3/Forum Name: Kaela_87

Wishlist Link: My Wishlist

Exchange Link: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8792010

Pictures:

Screenshot_zpssvz935ge.jpg

Screenshot-2_zpshjnoalag.jpg

Screenshot-4_zps1m4ozezq.jpg

Screenshot-3_zpssgypherw.jpg

Screenshot-7_zpsa0qoqmfs.jpg

There are more pictures here if you would like to see: http://s386.photobucket.com/user/machoochoos/library/TS3 Frontier Farm Contest - Pics

Hopefully my entry/post can now be seen! I built this lot ages ago in my game and as the family earned more simoleons they decorated and expanded the farm. I really enjoy playing this lot!

Good luck everyone!
    Post edited by Kaela_87 on
    My TS3 Wishlist: http://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=Kaela_87
    My TS3 Store Top 5: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/14276743/#Comment_14276743
    TS3 ID: Kaela_87
    Origin ID: Purple_Aleakim
    Feel free to add me!
  • Options
    Oh...it needs approving apparently! I missed that message the first time I posted so there will most likely now be 2 posts...I will edit one when they are approved! Geeeees!
    My TS3 Store Top 5: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/14276743/#Comment_14276743
    Feel free to add me!
  • Options
    SjappielovePaulSjappielovePaul Posts: 4,794 Member
    They don't ever get approval :/@Kaela_87
    If you post just a random post and edit that one, you can add your entry
    Don't forget to take care of yourself every now and then in this big chaotic world!
    pkJ66Kv.png
    Some links that helped me a lot:
    Missing Store Stencils / Free Kiddy Stuff / Daily Deals / Daily Deals Spreadsheets / The Gifting Directory
  • Options
    Yes @Kaela_87 that happened to me yesterday. I ended up posting from my phone then I logged in on my computer and edited the post with no problems :) Can't wait to see it!

• Options
    edited November 2015
    @SjappielovePaul Oh really? I will edit a post then and try that way, thanks for your advice!

@simgeek79 Very strange! I am on my iPad now so will see if I can do it now, just so many links to copy! I should be going to sleep really! :p

Edit: It worked! Thanks guys! :)
    Post edited by Kaela_87 on
    Feel free to add me!