Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

OMG! Metro UK talks about the problems of The Sims 4 and his team!

Comments

• Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    teaa5 wrote: »
    ejoslin wrote: »
    Sims 4 is not doing as well as expected which is why profits aren't highlighted on shareholder reports. This isn't news. Last shareholder report I read lumped Sims 4 and Sims Freeplay together when talking about growth of the Sims series.

However, since in the past Sims has been a complete cash cow, this hurts them.

if they are limited company they will need to publish a report in some point for the year 2015.. so then we will finally see how bad or good their sales are.. Looking forward to it;)))

They've been publishing reports. But they don't give a breakdown of sales by game. In one of them they admitted that the Sims 4 was not selling anywhere near what was projected but that sales were picking up after GTW. However, then in another part of the report they lumped in Sims 4 and Sims Freeplay together when talking about growth, which made me wonder since they're in separate divisions. At least they were at the time of that report.

Rolling a division into another division and losing the person in charge is not a sign of that division doing well enough to expand.

The only thing I wonder is if they want to go back to making a complete cash cow with no competition to milk (this would require a larger investment in the series) or do they want to dumb it down and hopefully pick up a different market (which would make it compete with another game of the same theme that they already own). Neither path makes much sense, tbh, but it's hard to believe that they would let the PC game go as well since it has made them so much money in the past.
  • Options
    teaa5teaa5 Posts: 1,407 Member
    I've read all posts above and I am thinking... what would happen if there was a room and players (who are happy with the game and disappointed in it) were locked inside... what would happen?
    00.jpg

Origin ID : kateteaa Twitter: MunchPumpkins
    Sims 3 wishlist: http://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=teaa5
    Sims 4 origin wishlist: https://www.origin.com/gbr/en-us/view-wishlist/7a1SQrtJtdHoNce4KS_ZTg--
  • Options
    I've read all posts above and I am thinking... what would happen if there was a room and players (who are happy with the game and disappointed in it) were locked inside... what would happen?

Heh, nothing at all. Ultimately, I think changes in the game are being made, and they're being made because of customer dissatisfaction. But if people don't complain and instead just go away, the devs won't know where the actual issues are. And sales are reflecting that there are issues. I have seen changes that they have made, and it's most likely been based on feedback. I have a sneaking suspicion that GT was pushed back in part because of the lack of enthusiasm, not only on these forums, but in many places that it was greeted by. They need sales to pick up, and if people aren't anticipating the next EP, then they probably won't pick up enough.
  • Options
    KevWalkerKevWalker Posts: 810 Member
    This thread should just be allowed to die, the "EA Crusader" will never stop. Even if you prove to the hilt and beyond that it's black, he/she will still swear it's white. Perhaps it's AW in disguise? Whatever, this "person" is so convinced of it'sabout it indefatigable anti-logic that it will never give up boring on about it, and replying just feeds it's ego.
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,931 Member

If they had nothing to do but play Sims 4 those who are happy with the game would have a good time and the rest would be bored to tears.

What else happens would depend on the personalities and maturity of the individuals and on the amount of time they were locked in.
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    Erpe wrote: »

So EA doesn't need to worry much about its finances and revenue right now even if EA decide not to make any more Sims games for the PC. What does that tell you about your chances to "threaten" EA to use even more money on TS4 or TS5?

Who is threatening EA? Where has @sparkfairy1 stated EA give me this or else? This is your own spin on things twisting others words. If people are dissatisfied with a product that they paid for people have a right to voice their opinion on why they are dissatisfied. They also have a choice to not buy any more product if they are dissatisfied.
    I write "threaten" this way because people here go on implying that EA will lose a lot of money and customers unless EA give us toddlers and other things for free because then people are supposed NOT to buy EA's Sims games anymore. This I see as an obvious "threat" which people hope will scare the gurus and then EA to give them those things.

But my point is that if writing "I won't buy more packs for TS4 before they have finished the game!" should have any influence on EA then it probably won't at all be what people hope for because I actually think that EA's top is studying the sales numbers for TS4 right now to consider if they shall continue the planned expansions for TS4 and maybe begin research for TS5 or just cut down on the expansions for TS4 and cancel TS5. (I don't know the sales numbers though - so I can't guess the result of EA's considerations about those things.) But are you really here every day just to try to influence EA to maybe make the decision that the time is over for making a big PC version of the Sims with many expansions - just like EA has made a similar decision for many other of EA's earlier games?

That's not a threat. That is a fact that EA will and is loosing money off the sims 4 if people are not buying any more for this game. EA lost money from me because I don't like the game and will not continue buying for this game if I don't likeit. There are many others like me. People who have given EA lots of money for previous games. If you don't cater to your loyal fan base they will stop buying.

"Toddlers" is not about toddlers its about its about life simulation. All previous sims games were life simulation with all stages of life and the sims 4 game is not. It has left out all the family players who enjoy life stages, playing many generations. What we call legacy players. I am one of them. All the sims games I have played have always been legacy. I am not one of those people who gets bored and has to play different sims and start new games with new sims. I play generation after generation. They have completely cut out my style of game play and the same goes for other people in this thread.

The other issue is EA charged for a AAA game but gave an incomplete base game not worth the money they charged making promises they would add things they never did.

Never bite the hand that feeds you
    No there wasn't toddlers in neither TS1 nor in the versions of the Sims games for consoles or mobile devices. So Maxis has never seen toddlers as a must but just as a feature which they could include or omit for each game.

I agree partly with you in the fact that a lot of veteran simmers who mainly have played all the Sims games and their expansions now see toddlers as a must even though they didn't have them in TS1. But if only veteran simmers bought the game then the game wouldn't sell in millions of copies. So I am sure that most customers aren't veterans and that even veterans often don't care that much about toddlers. Therefore I actually also think that a GP with only toddlers, clothes for toddlers, interactions for toddlers and toys and equipment for toddlers most likely will get lower sales numbers than most other GPs. You probably disagree in that. But I think so anyway because teens (and many adults) aren't likely to be exited about a GP which doesn't contain anything they didn't already have when they tried TS2 or TS3 one or two years ago. In this forum it is just too easy to forget that most customers don't play the same game for years like most of us do because they want new experiences instead. But EA knows much more about such things than we do because EA has investigated the market. Therefore we can't convince EA to make another conclusion about the game's customers than EA's own market investigations have already shown.

Good point Ts1, we are now 15 years later going back to TS1 in 2015. TS1 had more to offer than TS4 does and I would rather play TS1. TS2 and 3 had toddlers and teens so in that respect we should be moving on from ts1 and progressing not regressing. TS4 is not a mobile game or is it for console. We expect a proper PC game but got a refurbished on line Olympus that was not originally made for PC like all the previous games.

You obviously don't get what "Toddlers" means as I explained in my previous post. Your obviously not a legacy player so why should you care that our style of game play has been omitted. You would just rather disagree with us because our style of game play does not matter to you. No one I know would PAY for toddlers and teens with different height when it should have been included in the base game and it was promised that it would be included just to keep people from cancelling pre-orders.

TS3 is still being sold, people are still playing TS2 and 3. I do but wont play 4 and there are many others like me. All previous games are not the same they are all different, however they are all life simulation games and TS4 is not. No one is asking for the same game but the core base of the game style should be the same but again its not.
    You obviously don't remember how extremely small the Sims 1 basegame was and are therefore instead comparing the Sims 4 basegame with TS1+all expansions instead. But yes I agree that if you do it that way instead then TS1 wins. But is that fair to TS4?

I don't play TS4. But that is for very different reasons. It is also true that I am not a legacy player even though I have attempted the legacy challenge several times in TS3 and especially TS2. The reason that it never worked for me was that I became way too impatient waiting for my elder sims to die so I could move on to the next generation. There were also other reasons though why I became bored every time and started a new game instead.

But I still know the legacy challenge very well and understand fully why toddlers are important for legacy players. Your problem just is that you play the game in a way that wasn't at all the developers' idea with the game. Therefore you also get a lot of problems about your moved out sims being killed or moved automatically out of the game to make room for new NPC sims. Even though the developers found legacy play interesting they obviously still just see it as a very special way to play the game which they seem to think only interests few simmers.

I don't at all want you to stop your way of playing and you are also welcome to keep fighting a complete hopeless losing fight with EA. I just don't understand why you still want to do it. TS4 isn't an ideal game for me either. But I won't even try to tell EA what they should do to keep me as customer because I know that the million other customers (probably a huge number of especially young teens who just want to try the game for the first time) matters extremely much more to EA than I will ever do. Therefore I just keep reading about the game to see what happens while my only current Sims game is the Sims Freeplay.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    All companies welcome feedback, and in fact, the Sims 4 team has asked for it specifically. I'm not sure why anyone would have a problem with unhappy customers giving feedback. If EA chooses to not follow it, then they'll continue to lose those sales. /shrug.

Edit: No one is saying, "Oh, if Sims 4 fails, EA will die!" But the Sims franchise itself has been exceedingly profitable in the past, and I doubt that EA wants to lose that. If they do, they do, and everyone loses on that front. But perhaps EA thinks that they can make more $$ by dropping Sims 4 in favor of Freeplay. Perhaps they think that Sims would make more $$ as a console or tablet port (which ignores that the complexity of the sims is a major point for it). Maybe they hope to get a less demanding but still large market, if that even really exists.
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    @Erpe you don't have to understand why people say what they want. You are not their audience. And like you've been told many, many times people say it despite knowing EA don't care. It's their prerogative. Nothing you say to put others down is working. If you don't like hearing it just put people on ignore because this entire thread shows your persistent approach to try to shame others into not speaking doesn't work, and actually does the opposite.
  • Options
    ejoslin wrote: »
    All companies welcome feedback, and in fact, the Sims 4 team has asked for it specifically. I'm not sure why anyone would have a problem with unhappy customers giving feedback. If EA chooses to not follow it, then they'll continue to lose those sales. /shrug.

Edit: No one is saying, "Oh, if Sims 4 fails, EA will die!" But the Sims franchise itself has been exceedingly profitable in the past, and I doubt that EA wants to lose that. If they do, they do, and everyone loses on that front. But perhaps EA thinks that they can make more $$ by dropping Sims 4 in favor of Freeplay. Perhaps they think that Sims would make more $$ as a console or tablet port (which ignores that the complexity of the sims is a major point for it). Maybe they hope to get a less demanding but still large market, if that even really exists.

Exactly. There isn't an excuse to try to shame others into not speaking when the team themselves have asked people to keep telling them what works and what doesn't.

Funnily enough often those who moan about other people 'complaining' don't see that their own requests are in the same vein. They will happily ask for all sorts in the game-so what exactly is the difference? Yep no difference at all. It's just customers discussing and asking to be considered. When people have a lot of money invested in the sims that's more than fair enough.

Teams that don't take feedback will soon stagnate. They can't read minds and if they don't know what is the most requested features it will be like throwing darts at a dartboard with a blind fold on. Sometimes they'll hit the board, but not as well as if they were truly aware of their surroundings.
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    @Erpe you don't have to understand why people say what they want. You are not their audience. And like you've been told many, many times people say it despite knowing EA don't care. It's their prerogative. Nothing you say to put others down is working. If you don't like hearing it just put people on ignore because this entire thread shows your persistent approach to try to shame others into not speaking doesn't work, and actually does the opposite.

Ditto!
  • Options
    Oh now you are attempting the old "Everybody agree with me!" trick ;)

That trick doesn't work against me because I am a teacher and have way too often seen a student attempt it in situations where actually almost nobody really agreed with the student ;) But it is a nice trick anyway and politicians also often use it :)

"We are many who think.... and therefore you should listen!" ;)
  • Options
    blunote00 wrote: »
    Sort of lurked this thread but I didn't real all of it.

I have never nor will I ever play mobile games on my phone no matter how smart it is. I build my gaming computers/laptops around the games I play, which until recently was just the Sims series. Sims 4 is the only game I did not spend 5K+ in preparation to game and I'm glad I didn't. It is my least favorite of the entire series. There's also no more pre-ordering Sims as that used to be a given.

This time around, most of my gaming budget (yes I have one) went more to console and those games. Yes I do plan on building another gaming desktop but it won't be for Sims. There's too much other stuff out there. If they (EA) wants to have access to my purse again, they'll have to raise the bar and do better.

In all the previous versions of the series, I could and still can sit and play for hours all day. Sorry to say but this series I can't play for more than 30 minutes before I have to log off. In fact, at this point I can't even be bothered to update the game. Right now I'm currently playing Sims 2. For those that know me, that's saying a lot.

I'm sorry to hear that @blunote00 :( it's a shame to see so many sims veterans losing that spark with TS4. That's exactly how I feel, especially in regards to updates. In fact I just uninstalled because in the end the game was taking up space on my PC that I can utilise with better games :)
  • Options
    james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Oh now you are attempting the old "Everybody agree with me!" trick ;)

That trick doesn't work against me because I am a teacher and have way too often seen a student attempt it in situations where actually almost nobody really agreed with the student ;) But it is a nice trick anyway and politicians also often use it :)

"We are many who think.... and therefore you should listen!" ;)

A good teacher is one that don't shame others. Even if you disagree with them. Show me what a degree is worth. I show you that a degree is worth less. A degree can make one smarter or dumb. You can have all the knowledge in the world but without love your nothing. The love I am talking about it called respect towards others even if you disagree with them.
    Using personal attacks against others is not really great. Every time you put others down and shame them. It shows me that your not any different than a bully.
  • Options
    I don't shame others. But I admit that I was naive enough to believe that you wanted this game to continue like I do and didn't just want to go on fighting an already lost fight against the biggest game company in the world. Apparently I was wrong.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Negative feedback about a game won't kill it UNLESS the negative feedback is fully justified and felt by people who both express their dissatisfaction and people who feel the same but just don't buy the product and go away silently.

Frankly, I don't want a game which isn't fun for me. And if the next game in the franchise is a cheap, watered down tablet port, I couldn't care less if it is released or not. I figure the only chance I have of getting a well-funded quality game is to state my opinion. I don't think people just leaving the game without comment is going to help maintain the game. Obviously, exemplary sales for the previous games were not enough to keep the Sims funded with their own profits.

EA is not releasing the Sims as a gesture of good will. It's a product. If more people find it entertaining, then it will sell well. If more people don't, it won't. I wouldn't go to a restaurant that served subpar food at premium prices out of pity for them or hope that they would improve. If I cared about the restaurant, I'd tell them what was wrong. If I didn't, I just wouldn't go and I'd warn my friends not to either.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    MocaJava wrote: »
    I don't shame others. But I admit that I was naive enough to believe that you wanted this game to continue like I do and didn't just want to go on fighting an already lost fight against the biggest game company in the world. Apparently I was wrong.

Why do you care this much? I don't always agree with everything the people who are unhappy with the game say/do, but you've gone way beyond the level of obsession most of them have at this point.
    No I didn't. I just underestimated people's desire to keep believing that they own the game instead of EA. I can now see that they even do it to the extent that they now accuse me of working for EA even though EA isn't my favorite game company either by a long shot. Sims is about the only EA game that I ever have liked. My favorite game companies usually have gone bankruptcy too or became bought by EA. I am just not so naive that I think that I can threaten EA's board by telling them that I might not buy the next Sims game while they are considering to close down the Sims department and restructure their company to increase its billion dollar income by another hundred million dollars each year. But keep fighting them as you please ;)
  • Options
    Gtompkins48Gtompkins48 Posts: 477 Member
    MocaJava wrote: »

Why do you care this much? I don't always agree with everything the people who are unhappy with the game say/do, but you've gone way beyond the level of obsession most of them have at this point.
    No I didn't. I just underestimated people desire to keep beliving that they own the game instead of EA. I can now see that they even do it to the extent that they now accuse me of working for EA even though EA isn't my favorite game company either by a long shot. Sims is about the only EA game that I ever have liked. My favorite game companies usually have gone bankruptcy too or became bought by EA. I am just not so naive that I think that I can threaten EA's board by telling them that I might not buy the next Sims game while they are considering to close down the Sims department and restructure their company to increase its billion dollar income by another hundred million dollars each year. But keep fighting them as you please ;)

You're the only person who is talking about threatening EA's board, Has it gotten to the point where you can only respond to made-up arguments?
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited October 2015

We'd all pee ourselves and then probably starve to death in a matter of days.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5