Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• Options
    RoryPlaysTheSimsRoryPlaysTheSims Posts: 5,330 Member
    @Penguinwa101 Sooooooooooooooo many exciting announcements came from you today!!!!!! So excited! I Tweeted out your blog post announcement! :)

Awe!!!!!!! @Rorygilmore34 you are such a sweetheart! <3o:)

@Penguinwa101 You have so many things that are coming that are exciting! :) I had to shout it from a mountain top! :)
  • Options
    Lizzie1234 wrote: »
    I need hugs

Oh, @Lizzie1234 ! Hugs. Hugs. Big bear hugs. We love you!
  • Options
    JoieWilderJoieWilder Posts: 2,513 Member
    Oh god oh god I'm paranoid now!!! :lol:

I was talking to my brother about my story and I told him that I'm kind of nervous about a particular chapter that's coming very soon (trying to keep this as vague as possible!) and I explained the situation, and that I'm nervous about how readers are going to react, and he said "wow, I would HATE you if I was one of your readers. I might even stop reading your story after that." And he was not joking or being funny at all.

So basically I'm absolutely terrified and regretting everything right now, but it's too late to change it! Ahhhh. I'm sorry, I had to get that out there. I'm legitimately panicking about upsetting and/or losing readers now... If anyone wants more details or wants to offer an opinion, let me know but for now I don't want to give details so as not to risk spoilers for readers (who may end up being super mad at me anyway haha or maybe it's not as bad as my brother thinks and I've set you up expecting something much worse, meaning you won't be as upset when you see what it really is? Hopefully? :lol:)

I worry way too much about pleasing readers, but I can't help it!

You just need to do what is best for your story. Your real fans will stick with you even if you throw something completely crazy at them. This is reminding me of an author that I read, JR Ward. She got a LOT of hate for killing a main character in her latest book, and people swore never to read anymore of her books just because it was sad. They're not real fans anyway.
  • Options
    JoieWilder wrote: »
    I feel so bad. I'm probably not going to do any writing tonight again. I think I'm just going to settle back and play a fun save.

Also, I found notebooks on sale at Walmart for 50 cents. They were the good kind, too. I bought eight for the usual price of about one and a half. :smiley:

I looooove notebooks, @JoieWilder !!
  • Options
    OJenn wrote: »
    @CitizenErased14 - I have two surprises coming tomorrow! One will be posted to Tumblr and the other on Wordpress.

::::curls up in front of clock in anticipation::: @OJenn
  • Options
    CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member

I was talking to my brother about my story and I told him that I'm kind of nervous about a particular chapter that's coming very soon (trying to keep this as vague as possible!) and I explained the situation, and that I'm nervous about how readers are going to react, and he said "wow, I would HATE you if I was one of your readers. I might even stop reading your story after that." And he was not joking or being funny at all.

So basically I'm absolutely terrified and regretting everything right now, but it's too late to change it! Ahhhh. I'm sorry, I had to get that out there. I'm legitimately panicking about upsetting and/or losing readers now... If anyone wants more details or wants to offer an opinion, let me know but for now I don't want to give details so as not to risk spoilers for readers (who may end up being super mad at me anyway haha or maybe it's not as bad as my brother thinks and I've set you up expecting something much worse, meaning you won't be as upset when you see what it really is? Hopefully? :lol:)

You just need to do what is best for your story. Your real fans will stick with you even if you throw something completely crazy at them. This is reminding me of an author that I read, JR Ward. She got a LOT of hate for killing a main character in her latest book, and people swore never to read anymore of her books just because it was sad. They're not real fans anyway.

Thank you, @JoieWilder ! This was the sort of thing I need to read! (And what I'm doing is nowhere near as drastic as killing a main character or anything either. So that makes me feel a little bit better :tongue: But I'm definitely still nervous!)

snvAF3B.png
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »
    I narrowed 404 (dont ask) pics down to 12. Anyone wanna help me choose?

Do you want to post them here?

Sure. I narrowed them down some more. The theme is picking one that most envokes the feeling/atmosphere of Autumn

BEEE-YOOO-Teee-FULLL!

I vote for this one:

a511.png
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options

Citizen, one of the most important things for you to do as a writer is to be true to your vision and be brave. Tell the story you need to tell.

I am a very emotional reader: I get so invested, and I always respond emotionally. I yell at Charles Dickens when he kills off Little Dombey: "Why did you do that, Charles?" But I know why he does it. The story requires it. I may be mad at him, and I respect him. I respect him so much more for doing what the story required than I would have if he had found a way to keep little Dombey alive.

Oh, and what about my good friend Marty's "The Willow's Way?" @Jes2G and I could not believe what happened to Colleen. And the ending! Oh, man. I was devastated all week. Literally a wreck. Crying as I drove into the office. Crying--weeping, really--on my walks and in the garden in the morning. And. It had to be done.

My respect for him as an artist--which has always been so high--skyrocketed. He did the true thing--he did what his vision of the story required.

And do you know what? You will grow so much as a writer by doing this. You might have some mad readers, your feelings might get hurt and get raw, but as you put your vision in the prime spot where it belongs, you will find that you grow as a writer. You'll be able to write anything after this.

So good for you! Look at all of this as an important step in your career as a writer.

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    RachelRosebudRachelRosebud Posts: 1,103 Member
    edited September 2015
    EDIT: This could potentially lead to a little bit of a discussion -- Has anyone ever received a comment from a reader that maybe made you feel a little bad or you weren't sure how to respond to it? This is the first one that I think has bothered me a little (except that one the other day that came off as a little snarky :lol:). I think it's in part because I love the character so much (I won't lie!) :lol: But I think it's more than that too :tongue:

@CitizenErased14
    Yep! It was one of my Don Lothario chapters, where I was saying he couldn't get a Flirty interaction with Bella to work. She kept rejecting him. I write most of my stuff all lighthearteded and goofy and someone commented how Bella needed to "give it up" and "get into her pants," okay, something like that. For some reason, I felt kinda creeped out, lol, so I think I deleted it. I don't respond to every comment, but I read them all. :)
    That's great you got a new commenter, even if it was a bit strange. It is a good feeling when someone new comes along. :)

• Options

Thank you, @JoieWilder ! This was the sort of thing I need to read! (And what I'm doing is nowhere near as drastic as killing a main character or anything either. So that makes me feel a little bit better :tongue: But I'm definitely still nervous!)

@CitizenErased14 I'll stick by you even if you kill someone off. I'm a fan of anything you write. You have such a talent. :)
  • Options
    Brings in organic, fresh picked blueberries for @CathyTea and giggle-hugs for @Jes2G. I really appreciate your help today. :)
  • Options
    MegglesMeggles Posts: 4,109 Member
    @BBQPenguinWings I like this pose:
    a101.png
    with this outfit and background:
    a511.png

But they're all cute!
    Gifs are broken but click here for my blog with all my stories :)
    House: Hufflepuff | Wand: Ebony wood w/a unicorn hair core, 9 ¾"
    Origin ID: meggles87 | twitter | simblr
  • Options
    Brings in organic, fresh picked blueberries for @CathyTea and giggle-hugs for @Jes2G. I really appreciate your help today. :)

Thanks, sweetie! It was loads of fun! :)

• Options
    sunnyshaysunnyshay Posts: 2,927 Member
    Back home from a loooooooooooong day at my aunt's. I am so out of it. I was supposed to be doing some writing for this weekend but I'm not going to be able to. :tired_face::disappointed:
    Origin ID: Shar1W
  • Options
    BBQPenguinWingsBBQPenguinWings Posts: 3,773 Member
    I narrowed 404 (dont ask) pics down to 12. Anyone wanna help me choose?

Do you want to post them here?

Sure. I narrowed them down some more. The theme is picking one that most envokes the feeling/atmosphere of Autumn

BEEE-YOOO-Teee-FULLL!

I vote for this one:

a511.png

I love that one too. Thanks for your help!
  • Options
    BBQPenguinWingsBBQPenguinWings Posts: 3,773 Member
    Meggles wrote: »
    @BBQPenguinWings I like this pose:
    a101.png
    with this outfit and background:
    a511.png

But they're all cute!

Oooh i like that too!

Hmm. Thanks for the feedback!!
  • Options
    MunterbaconMunterbacon Posts: 5,082 Member
    @Lizzie1234 and anyone else that needs a hug.
    abdmcri.gif

@CitizenErased14

Newcrest Ninjas
    Newcrest Nannies
    Newcrest Noobs
    Newcrest Night
    Newcrest Nandos Chicken

Just a few for you. :D
    dustshaela.jpg
    Origin ID: Munter_Bacon
    Ironbound (end of season break) | STRIKE! (currently updating) | The Colours of my Heart (on hiatus)
  • Options
    Penguinwa101Penguinwa101 Posts: 3,131 Member

I COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND! When i asked my friend about killing off one of my characters in Sul Sul... SPOILER... ok it was when i killed off Terra... she GOT SOOOOOOOO UPSET at me until I explained her WHY and what caused it and who the slasher was and how it makes sense. THEN she realized that event HAD to happen FOR THE STORY to be told correctly and be collectively cohesive... I deal with this almost all the time when figuring out if the death of a certain character will make people upset or even angry BUT in the long run they ended up enjoying the story even though they lost some of their FAV'S along the way... I SAY GO FOR IT! YOU are the writer and if it makes the reader mad or upset, in the end they understand why it had to happen for the story to go on... CAN'T WAIT TO SEE IT!!!!!! <3
    3gXRDPf.gif
    Twitter: @Penguinwa101
    Tumblr: http://penguinentertainment.tumblr.com/
    Youtube: Penguin Entertainment
  • Options
    @Munterbacon I can't believe I missed ninjas!
  • Options
    CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    Thank you @CathyTea @Rorygilmore34 @Penguinwa101 and @JoieWilder (again!) :) I appreciate all the encouragement!

It's nothing as huge as a character death... It's almost something to do more with when/how something happens, rather than WHAT happens... But I have my reasons for why things are playing out the way they are (and why my pacing has been so slow :lol:), and I'm trying my best to stick with what feels "right"... It's just hard feeling like I may make readers unhappy. I wish there was a way to please everyone! :lol:

But everyone's kind comments have helped a lot! :)
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options

If it progresses the story the way you envision it, or you can't see a better alternative then it is the right plot. If someone gets mad, it means they are super invested in your story, but I'm pretty sure they would be mad about the situation and not at you. They might comment on how this character did that, or that person did this, but I can't imagine them getting mad at you personally. I love it when a scene elicits strong emotions from me, so if your chapter makes me mad I will celebrate it! :D
    dustshaela.jpg
    Ironbound (end of season break) | STRIKE! (currently updating) | The Colours of my Heart (on hiatus)
  • Options

It just means they were doing their job well.
    dustshaela.jpg
  • Options
    sunnyshaysunnyshay Posts: 2,927 Member
    To those who don't self-host their blogs and have multiple stories, here's why you may want to consider doing so: Wordpress multisite. Imagine having a different theme / look for each story and all under the same domain. Look it up.
    Origin ID: Shar1W
  • Options
    eXokamikazeeXokamikaze Posts: 3,870 Member
    edited September 2015
    Lizzie1234 wrote: »
    I need hugs

*biggest pig hugs ever* <3<3<3 ( . . )
  • Options

It just means they were doing their job well.

1349633011941.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top