Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Tell me about mistakes you've made while playing The Sims 3

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Never try to age toddlers up in cas...it will make your game crash instantly! Well at least for me it did..weird.

Have you ever aged up a kitten in CAS? They are freaky looking!
  • Options
    Jemma04Jemma04 Posts: 8 New Member
    going into a new property and always forgetting to install a burglar alarm until its to late... speaking of which I'm now going to check my Sim world to see if I have or not... I never learn from this mistake.
  • Options
    OriginalMaraOriginalMara Posts: 1,669 Member
    Not realizing I had auto roof off, when I put an addition on my Sim's house.

The other day she was in her office (part of the new part of the house), and I was getting the soaked moodlet. And I was like, how is she wet, INSIDE the house, when the rain is OUTSIDE?

But when I looked, I noticed the roof didn't go that far.

OOOPS.
  • Options
    thuggishsplicerthuggishsplicer Posts: 1,747 Member
    When I started playing the game about a year ago, my first character was based on myself and I made him an adult.
    He used to be a single man and I wasn't able to give him a romantic interest because I didn't understand how it worked. Then, I got the message that he would become an elder and I decided to throw a party. But I didn't know how to throw one, so, I ended up invinting the guests over and blew out the candles. When I saw his clothes messed up and the white hair I was puzzled.

I continued playing and one of his friends in the music carreer was too old. I decided to invite him out and they spent some time at the beach. He died there. Actually, it was really cute because my sim was playing the guitar for him at the momment of his death. I wasn't able to give a nice death to any other sim.

A few days later, my sim died as well. In the bathroom after using his toilet. The house was closed and I didn't have enough time to have kids and so on.
  • Options
    thuggishsplicerthuggishsplicer Posts: 1,747 Member
    edited September 2015
    @MissCee , I often save while my sims are sleeping. Sometimes, I save after doing something big, specially, after editing town.
  • Options
    PlumbobCrossingPlumbobCrossing Posts: 8,455 Member
    I installed the teen pregnancy mod, and my first pregnant teen had twins :tired_face:
  • Options
    JessicaSimstonJessicaSimston Posts: 2,519 Member
    When I accidently had my Sim flirt with his wife's twin sister instead of his wife. Kinda like the movie "Double Wedding"
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I was building in the game and forgot to turn the auto-roofing off in the days before I got a Mod to disable it fully.I used to make that mistake a lot before adding that Mod to fix the issue and I won't play without the files for that Mod anymore.I've never forgotten to use floor tiles over a room and forgetting a roof over a new section isn't an issue if I've put flooring over the new room.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    DrewRowlandDrewRowland Posts: 2,057 Member
    edited September 2015
    My actual biggest sims mistake was years ago in The Sims 2. I had a vampire bite Mrs. Crumplebottom. That corrupted my game and I had to reinstall the game.
  • Options
    Okblondee7Okblondee7 Posts: 2,607 Member
    @jessicasimston: The same thing happened to me a few years ago! I was into this thing where I had twins marrying twins. There was a lot of slapping going on until I made sure they didn't wear identical clothing. :/
  • Options
    br560br560 Posts: 1,836 Member
    My actual biggest sims mistake was years ago in The Sims 2. I had a vampire bite Mrs. Crumplebottom. That corrupted my game and I had to reinstall the game.

Well, I bet it was worth it... wait, was it?
    Br560.
    Playing the sims since 2012
  • Options
    DrewRowlandDrewRowland Posts: 2,057 Member
    edited September 2015
    br560 wrote: »

Well, I bet it was worth it... wait, was it?

Not really, she rarely did anything vampire-like. Reinstalling multiple expansions packs plus the base game makes any fun from seeing her walk like a vampire when leaving a lot not worth it. My computer at the time was horrible too, so it took an entire day to install it (I remember those days when installing a game would take an hour or more instead of 1-15 minutes, not something to be nostalgic about :D ).
  • Options
    23kels8923kels89 Posts: 804 Member
    Mistakes I've made while playing The Sims:
    • Building a beautiful house, moving a gorgeous family of six into the home, and forgetting that the game has a habit of crashing. My game decided to crash as soon as I started playing with the household. [Did I ever rebuild the home? Nope. Did I learn to save? Yes!]
    • Accidentally bulldozing the wrong lot.
    • Creating a couple, creating a pretty Sim a few days later and wishing I married off the man with the other woman instead. [I could have divorced the couple and have the man and the other woman date. But I didn't have the heart to break up a happy home.]
    • Not creating a back up file of my saved games, deleting the wrong file, and having to start ALL. OVER. AGAIN.
    • Trying to play with a family of eight in a huge lot. Not fun.
    • So many mistakes to list.

Find me on the Sims 3
    Find me on Origin

• Options
    Distant_Wisteria666Distant_Wisteria666 Posts: 10 New Member
    I hated it when I accidentally typed in "motherlode" instead of "moveobjects on".
  • Options
    blueamberblueamber Posts: 32 Member
    Pressed 'try for baby' instead of 'woohoo' ahahahaha
  • Options
    rubyskywalkerrubyskywalker Posts: 1,174 Member
    Leaving the fireplace on. c: Someday my sims will learn... lol
    Origin ID and TS3 Username: DollyGizzy
    Hoping to complete the Brunch at the Old Mill set for CYS. 16 items left.
    My Sims 3 Store Wishlist: https://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=DollyGizzy
    My TS3 Blog: https://rubysasimslife.blogspot.com
  • Options
    sassygray5sassygray5 Posts: 546 Member
    edited July 2019
    The biggest mistake you can ever make in the Sims: walking away from the game, for even a second, without pausing.

They will always find a way to start a fire XD

Speaking of fires, not on TS3 but TS2 I got myself into quite the predicament. My Sims were leaving for vacation when lighting struck a tree and caught it on fire. My Sims ran right into the flames to do that whole “there’s a fire panic thing” and then the loading screen for traveling kicked in. They had a lovely vacation, but immediately upon returning home were deep in the flames by the burning tree (TS2 saves your last lot state when you leave). As soon as the lot loaded, I had about five Sim minutes to work with before they all burned to death! Took me one quit without saving to time it just right and have another Sim call the fire department. Lucky for my Sims it all worked out!
    Post edited by sassygray5 on
  • Options
    Starting a new game in a new town without removing all forms of marital arts equipment and all forms of chess tables can break the save before the town gets off the ground.I've learned to take all of those items out before starting a new save and to reinstate them after more families arrive in town.
  • Options
    WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 845 Member
    Eer, I think you meant martial arts, marital arts are something else not included in World Adventures :)
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
  • Options
    It's content from World Adventures found in China,butdebug or by using unlocked versions and the other items known to cause issues is having a chess table placed on any lot in the world on starting a new game which is also an issue if any martial arts equipment is placed in a brand new game.I had the issues in Sunset Valley2 and it glitched sims out so the menu on a sim broke.I had to start with removing the objects causing the issues and find placeholders with the option to reinstate the items after more families start arriving in town.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    The chess table and mar-t-i-a-l (not marital) arts issues only arise if there are no other residents in town beyond the active household. This isn't really a bug though, the game was not designed to host a single household world and doesn't know what to do when not a single suitable chess or martial arts opponent can be selected even when the player isn't having their sims pay any attention to those things.

For assistance with marital arts, sims would need to see a counselor from the Health and Wellness EP (that never got produced except in my imagination). ;)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    HillyBethHillyBeth Posts: 3,505 Member
    PalmArrow wrote: »
    When the first Sim I ever played had her first birthday, I accidentally aged her directly from YA to elder. (That is to say, I didn't notice she had already aged up to adult by herself before the guests arrived. I had no idea what that weird shaking thing meant. So I had her blow out the candles on the cake, and she became an elder. On top of that, all the guests thought it was a terrible party. She went to sleep old and unhappy. I deleted the save and started a new game with her.)

In one of my current saves, there is a little boy in a townie family called William Jones Jones. (I briefly added my Sim's friend to her household to help her marry the woman she was going out with and adopt a child, because before I installed NRAAS Story Progression nobody in town got married or had babies. When I had to give the child a name, I thought I had to write both name and surname so I wrote "Willliam Jones". When I saw the poor boy was now William Jones Jones, it amused me so much I just left it that way.)

Tell me about your mistakes! Or, even better, share screenshots!

I can't remember if I ever commented on this, but I once gave two of my sims' five kids(and their spouses) Fertility Treatment and both siblings were responsible for one set of twins, and a set a triplets each, out of 12 grandchildren!
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
    P.A.C.E- Positive Attitude Changes Everything