Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Tell me about mistakes you've made while playing The Sims 3

PalmArrowPalmArrow Posts: 4,329 Member
When the first Sim I ever played had her first birthday, I accidentally aged her directly from YA to elder. (That is to say, I didn't notice she had already aged up to adult by herself before the guests arrived. I had no idea what that weird shaking thing meant. So I had her blow out the candles on the cake, and she became an elder. On top of that, all the guests thought it was a terrible party. She went to sleep old and unhappy. I deleted the save and started a new game with her.)

In one of my current saves, there is a little boy in a townie family called William Jones Jones. (I briefly added my Sim's friend to her household to help her marry the woman she was going out with and adopt a child, because before I installed NRAAS Story Progression nobody in town got married or had babies. When I had to give the child a name, I thought I had to write both name and surname so I wrote "Willliam Jones". When I saw the poor boy was now William Jones Jones, it amused me so much I just left it that way.)

Tell me about your mistakes! Or, even better, share screenshots!

Comments

• Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    I don't have any screen shots, but there was one sim that I had created. I don't remember all the traits I gave her, but she was very mean. She was a criminal and did reach the top of her career. Her favorite pass time was to jog every where, and she lived out by the water fall in Sunset Valley. Once she became an adult it dawned on me that I better get her married to someone, so she would have some kind of legacy to pass on. But the problem was, with the combination of traits that I had given her, there was no option for any romantic interactions what so ever would should. I ended up cheating a bit to give her a slight personality change that would allow for to have romantic interactions. Eventually she found a guy and was married. At the time I did not know how to tell the age of a sim, so I had assumed he was in the same age group as my sim. I gave him grey hair, and later discovered that he was just a young adult. They ended up having one adopted daughter (which EA's story progression later moved out of town), and a son. Later the son got married, and had a son of his own. While the grandson was just a baby, his mother died. She was electrocuted, because I did not know that after the first shock, don't have them do any more work on electrical items.
  • Options
    ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    I was too horrified to get a screenshot, but a few years back, I forgot it's best not to sit things that have flames near the edge of the lot because they're more prone to catch the lot on fire.

It was a children's birthday party out by the pool and my sim child was coming to blow out the candles but this fire started and spread and a few children and adults who were standing close by and they caught on fire and burned to death, a few others standing around freaking out were suddenly on fire, even a firefighter who was using the extinguisher to try to put the fire out burned and died when he caught on fire...

The fire was still going when I quit the game without saving, but if I hadn't I'm sure my sims would've came out fine physically. They got out of the way in time, lol.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    I accidentally locked a vampire npc sim in the University dorm and he turned to ashes in the second day XD
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    mooredt21mooredt21 Posts: 1,105 Member
    I used the fertility reward the first time I played and got either twins or triplets. Big mistake.
    <----LOQUACIOUS LURKER HERE

***Please bring back Sims 2 style storytelling features and make them publishable.***
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    I learned about puddles and fixing broken electronics the hard way. :(

And this isn't exactly related to the game, but one of my main families back in early 2012 was this super-rich family headed by Declan...the matriarch? It took me until I was done with high school and also well-attached to that household to learn that Declan is actually a man's name.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    I just remember my biggest goof up. I had started using mods, and removed the 8 sim limit per household. I started out with a family that had mom, dad, son, and grandmother. For some reason this family was very fertile, and had 2 sets of babies born, both time it was 4 babies, which ended up leaving me with 8 babies, a toddler, mom, dad, and grandmother, and a game that lagged something awful.
  • Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    edited August 2015
    When I first started playing I feared multiple births. But as I got accustomed to the game I decided I wanted twins or triplets. I was using gay male couples which required a mod for same-sex pregnancy. But despite my trying, I only ever got single births.

Then I looked up all the ways to increase the chances of having a multiple birth pregnancy: listening to the kids radio station and watching the kids channel TV. I took my gay male couple I was playing at the time, and got them both pregnant. Then I had them listen to the kids radio station and watch the kids channel on TV as much as possible. I also gave them the fertility treatment LTR, the first time I had use that. Now, the mod I was using allows a 0.01% chance of quads, which wasn't apparent because in the mod settings menu it only shows a 0.00. Both guys had quads. I was floored. I didn't have a problem with the game lagging, but it was a major shock. I started to blog about the experience, but sadly never finished that particular household.
    Post edited by TreyNutz on
  • Options
    EncratyEncraty Posts: 73 Member
    Not really a gameplay mistake, but I overbuilt a house so much that I couldn't even play it. It was a shame as the house was so gorgeously detailed. And I mean DETAILED in every room. All 50+ rooms had a ton of detail. But the game couldn't handle the home and would crash almost instantly upon putting my family in it.. or come up with error code 12 trying to save. I couldn't even run it on a better system.
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    My biggest mistake was in turning that bug-fest know as EA's "story progression" on in my early days before I even knew about Mods.It was a huge disaster and I can't go into details because of the adult content rating it would have though I can tell you it totally ruined my entire game for that save and destroyed the town.I had to delete the save and start over.I also had to change from Norton to AVG so I could download Mods to fix the issues.
    My most recent mistake was in adding extra trait slots using Retuner without disabling the add missing traits to sims feature in story progression.That was enough of a disaster with only two families and it could've been a lot worse if I'd already had dozens of families.
    My third mistake was adding school rabbit holes to Winfield and Glenvale County which forced children and kids into that school.I should have them all in home-schooling before adding the school next time.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    My mistake when WA came out was sending my adventurer sim to every tomb, collecting every relic I could find. Every urn, every dropastone, every gargoyle, she had the lot. At least three of everything, except for the special rewards. I tried to set up a private museum and quickly ran out of space so I attempted to move the family with all the relics in the family inventory.
    I got the never ending loadscreen and had to quit without saving. Then upon reloading the game, whenever I tried to reload their house, I got the never ending loadscreen all over again and had to trash my save.
    I really miss that save. It was so much work.
    Still, it taught me a valuable lesson about not over filling inventories, and moving. Until Twallan, bless the modfather, expanded his entire suite of mods from one single SP mod, to the suite there is now, which helps a great deal.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    wistfoolwistfool Posts: 74 Member
    My biggest mistake was installing Seasons. My teen sim died of starvation (?) while entering a hot dog eating contest. I decided to go check up on her dad's lifetime points to see if he could afford a philosopher's stone, only to find that he was somehow drowning after swimming autonomously in the pool because of the routing issues that the diving board always created in my game. Even cancelling the swimming interaction didn't help, and the poor dad died as well.

... And then Seasons destroyed my laptop's insides and I decided to get a Macbook to replace it, and discovered I couldn't play the game on it at all.

I hate Seasons.
  • Options
    Dark_Tig3rDark_Tig3r Posts: 549 Member
    Biggest mistake I made wasn't on TS3 it was when I first got TS2 and didn't know anything about cheats or mods. I had this nice little sim family in a small house and after having them move into a bigger house realized I didn't even have enough left over to buy the fridge and you know back then you had to have a fridge in order to feed the baby well the baby wound up being starving and exhausted by the time Child Services came and got her. I restarted the game after that.
    The only major oopsies I made in TS3 was waiting three sim weeks to save a file and then only doing so when I decided to travel and watched as the game crashed.
    I'm only living the life to which I've grown accustomed.
  • Options
    DrewRowlandDrewRowland Posts: 2,057 Member
    wistfool wrote: »
    My biggest mistake was installing Seasons. My teen sim died of starvation (?) while entering a hot dog eating contest. I decided to go check up on her dad's lifetime points to see if he could afford a philosopher's stone, only to find that he was somehow drowning after swimming autonomously in the pool because of the routing issues that the diving board always created in my game. Even cancelling the swimming interaction didn't help, and the poor dad died as well.

... And then Seasons destroyed my laptop's insides and I decided to get a Macbook to replace it, and discovered I couldn't play the game on it at all.

I hate Seasons.

I had a sim (Cornelia and Gunther Goth's daughter) die of starvation during an eating contest too. I brought her back to life as a ghost and had her alien husband use the potion that turns them into a temporary ghost until my sim could eat some ambrosia.

My biggest mistake was to reset my sim after they were caught spray painting in university and were about to be arrested. When I reset them their icon disappeared and I had to exit without saving.
  • Options
    figmentzfigmentz Posts: 504 Member

I hate Seasons.

I had a sim (Cornelia and Gunther Goth's daughter) die of starvation during an eating contest too. I brought her back to life as a ghost and had her alien husband use the potion that turns them into a temporary ghost until my sim could eat some ambrosia.

My biggest mistake was to reset my sim after they were caught spray painting in university and were about to be arrested. When I reset them their icon disappeared and I had to exit without saving.

About the dying of starvation thing, I don't know if you already know, but it was a bug, and they eventually fixed it.
    simssignature_zpstlsaiz9k.jpg
  • Options
    DrewRowlandDrewRowland Posts: 2,057 Member
    figmentz wrote: »

I hate Seasons.

About the dying of starvation thing, I don't know if you already know, but it was a bug, and they eventually fixed it.

I know, this happened right after Seasons was released, and that was the only time I had this issue.
  • Options
    br560br560 Posts: 1,836 Member
    When I didn't understand that you could only get a tan in seasons
    So I starved my sim while trying to get her a tan.
    I made her lie on a lounge chair for 3 sim days
    Br560.
    Playing the sims since 2012
  • Options
    AMofOzAMofOz Posts: 856 Member
    Wondering why I couldn't flirt with the babysitter, only to realize they were a teenager. OOPS.
    -Ann Maree (AM for short)
    Feel free to add me on The Sims 3 MyPage.
    I now own the store! (apart from avatars and badges)
  • Options
    cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    edited August 2015
    InfraGreen wrote: »
    I learned about puddles and fixing broken electronics the hard way. :(

1. That was my first big mistake too. When I sent my sim to fix the dish washer a second time they were electrocuted again and then this foreboding music started playing and the grim reaper appeared. When my sim died I was shocked because I didn't realize sims could die. Instead of choosing a new household to play I quit that game in a huff. :)

2. The first time I played a married couple from the start I was so frustrated trying to get them to sleep in the same double bed. I didn't realize their relationship had to advance first.

3. I was completely frustrated trying to get my professional sports sim to win a game while playing with the combined school/stadium from Pets. Even after I found out the problem was a glitch with that building I kept it in that game because I had written the "loosing team" scenario into the storyline. But I never play with that combo stadium any more.
    PalmArrow wrote: »
    When the first Sim I ever played had her first birthday, I accidentally aged her directly from YA to elder. (That is to say, I didn't notice she had already aged up to adult by herself before the guests arrived. I had no idea what that weird shaking thing meant. So I had her blow out the candles on the cake, and she became an elder. ...

I've done that a couple of times too. :) Also so many fires from baby and toddler birthday cakes that I no longer give them cakes. Instead I let them age up automatically.
  • Options
    br560br560 Posts: 1,836 Member
    I was too horrified to get a screenshot, but a few years back, I forgot it's best not to sit things that have flames near the edge of the lot because they're more prone to catch the lot on fire.

It was a children's birthday party out by the pool and my sim child was coming to blow out the candles but this fire started and spread and a few children and adults who were standing close by and they caught on fire and burned to death, a few others standing around freaking out were suddenly on fire, even a firefighter who was using the extinguisher to try to put the fire out burned and died when he caught on fire...

The fire was still going when I quit the game without saving, but if I hadn't I'm sure my sims would've came out fine physically. They got out of the way in time, lol.

I never knew that birthday cakes can cause fires... woahhh
    Br560.
    Playing the sims since 2012
  • Options
    PalmArrowPalmArrow Posts: 4,329 Member
    cwaddell wrote: »
    2. The first time I played a married couple from the start I was so frustrated trying to get them to sleep in the same double bed. I didn't realize their relationship had to advance first.
    Oh, that reminds me! The first time I wanted to make a couple WooHoo, I didn't realise each of them had to get into bed from a different side. One side of the bed was leaning against a wall. So when the guy lay down on the other side of the bed, the woman went outside the house, to the other side of the wall, and began angrily stomping her foot and yelling "Chi waga choo choo!" He fell asleep after a while, and she had nowhere to sleep. That was frustrating because it was her house. He was only a guest!
  • Options
    FleurkweenFleurkween Posts: 235 Member
    edited August 2015
    I made my own family and someone left some mac and cheese in the oven. The house burned down and everyone was killed. :(
    \cat%20with%20tea_zpsejebanah.jpg
  • Options
    cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    PalmArrow wrote: »
    Oh, that reminds me! The first time I wanted to make a couple WooHoo, I didn't realise each of them had to get into bed from a different side. One side of the bed was leaning against a wall. So when the guy lay down on the other side of the bed, the woman went outside the house, to the other side of the wall, and began angrily stomping her foot and yelling "Chi waga choo choo!" He fell asleep after a while, and she had nowhere to sleep. That was frustrating because it was her house. He was only a guest!

Yes that's happened to me too. Also there is one double bed in the base camp in "France" that has a beside table placed incorrectly so that only one sim can sleep in the bed. I've had sims try to woohoo there and go through the same foot-stamping routine you describe. :)
  • Options
    duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    edited August 2015
    br560 wrote: »

I never knew that birthday cakes can cause fires... woahhh

I've had so many birthday deaths... *cry* Those birthday cakes are ebil! Seriously though, my sims often age up without a party if I like them. Don't want them to burn up on their birthday!

That said, I have never had one cause that kind of destruction. Poor ApparentlyAwesome!
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.