Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What are they doing?!

I supported this game when they launched it, and I bought the line about it being a strong base game that can be built up to greatness. I didn't want to think that The Sims 4 would be a flop.

Now that we're almost a year out from the release, I'm getting more and more disappointed. The new expansion pack trailer even made my husband angry, and he doesn't even play The Sims! I know that it isn't out yet, but I just cannot fathom calling something that only seems to consist of a rabbit hole closet, a few new places to woohoo, a new world, a social club system and a dance floor an expansion pack.

Even if it were an expansion, shouldn't they be releasing this kind of thing toward the end of the game's life cycle, not the beginning? I am praying that in October they're going to say, "Guess what Simmers?! We kept these huge features that you would love and have been asking for in the expansion pack a secret!" I highly doubt that this is going to happen though, because when we saw the poll, everything felt so half baked.

The poll included a lot of core features that people are asking for, but I only saw them taking those things half way, ignoring their real potential. An example would be the weather. "Woooo summer heat and winter fun. Bring these two seasons home with you!" they said (I'm paraphrasing). Really? What happened to fall? What about rain? We already have the sun 24/7 in our game, but I'm guessing they're just going to slap an "I'm burning up, it's hot out here" moodlet on and call it a day.

And for those of you who are over the moon at a mention of the toddlers, if they can't be bothered to do the basic seasons all the way, what makes you think that toddlers will be all you ever dreamed they'd be? They will never quench the need for family play, simply because all your children and babies will grow up completely alone. There still isn't anything near story progression like there ought to be in the game (at least not without mods), since their idea of story progression was to give you the ability to meet friends in school and workplaces and give NPCs jobs and receive birthday party invites. But since the game still culls those Sims you meet after like two days, that fix just isn't an acceptable form of story progression.

If you compare the latest poll of possible expansions to previous possible expansion polls, there is a huge gap in content that is left out for the new expansions compared to the last ones. After seeing the backlash from their fans from the lack of content in the base game and promising to make it so much better by it being a stable base to build on, they sure are completely failing at building on it.
Check out my awesome house Zephyr's Edge -TODAY!

Comments

• Options
    Ponder the SimPonder the Sim Posts: 3,054 Member
    They are doing things a little differently this time. It's not the end of the world.
  • Options
    halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    OP I also feel the same way. I love this game but I think it needs so many different packs to make it better. I'm not wasting my money on something that offers nothing valuable to the game
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    SweetieTreatsSweetieTreats Posts: 2,668 Member
    I agree with @Finbar659 and @ponderberries. Also, shouldn't this be in the Feedback section of the forum. Oh yeah, you werewere being dramatic and looking for attention.
  • Options
    Finbar659 wrote: »
    This is only the second expansion pack, we just need to give the developers more time.

I would think that, given the frosty reception TS4 got at release, and the myriad complaints that have been leveled against it since, the developers would at least be trying to make the first two or three expansions real heavy hitters, with a lot of content like weather, pets, every career imaginable, real story progression etc. The modding community has already shown the Get To Work expansion up to be far less ambitious than what it easily should have been, and this expansion, as far as we can tell right now, barely has any new content at all! It looks like it would be much better suited to being a game pack.

I don't think that it's the end of the world, I just don't think that they're making the right calls as far as expansion pack content and themes goes.

I think you may be forgetting just how long in advance these first couple expansion packs were being worked on. The real crowd pleases wont come until after the pre-planned packs are done.
  • Options
    Megadustrial_SimMegadustrial_Sim Posts: 180 Member
    edited August 2015
    I think you may be forgetting just how long in advance these first couple expansion packs were being worked on. The real crowd pleases wont come until after the pre-planned packs are done.

I just think that the crowd pleasers should have taken greater priority, considering all the negative feedback, but I guess I do see your point.
    Check out my awesome house Zephyr's Edge -TODAY!

• Options
    Alysha1988Alysha1988 Posts: 3,452 Member
    I'm with you. Hey, if they skip over the more asinine pack ideas and go with the better ones like the apartments one or generations (with free toddlers patch) and they actually do those packs right and don't cut corners at every possible opportunity then I would be MORE than happy to eat every word I've said following the release of this survey. As it stands I'm VERY skeptical. I does not really sound like they plan to fully flesh out ideas. It sounds like they want to continue along the path of rushing everything and not even coming close to meeting the full potential of ideas. The latest get together expansion certainly does nothing to inspire confidence. That is literally a pack full of nothing.

I wish I could be on the optimist band wagon and be quick to defend EA, but EA has shown me time and time again that they are not to be trusted and that everything they present should be questioned and that I should expect nothing more than the least possible amount of effort. So far this whole game feels phoned in so... why suddenly after The sims 4 Get together with your cash would they decide to start making great packs?
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Hi :)

Yes, I'm disappointed in the release of only one expansion the first year. Will they make up for it with three next year, I doubt it.

I'm not really liking the theme of the upcoming expansion, it doesn't really add much to the game besides more social groupings. -imo.

Another year of waiting for me. :(
  • Options
    Alysha1988 wrote: »
    I'm with you. Hey, if they skip over the more asinine pack ideas and go with the better ones like the apartments one or generations (with free toddlers patch) and they actually do those packs right and don't cut corners at every possible opportunity then I would be MORE than happy to eat every word I've said following the release of this survey. As it stands I'm VERY skeptical. I does not really sound like they plan to fully flesh out ideas. It sounds like they want to continue along the path of rushing everything and not even coming close to meeting the full potential of ideas. The latest get together expansion certainly does nothing to inspire confidence. That is literally a pack full of nothing.

I wish I could be on the optimist band wagon and be quick to defend EA, but EA has shown me time and time again that they are not to be trusted and that everything they present should be questioned and that I should expect nothing more than the least possible amount of effort. So far this whole game feels phoned in so... why suddenly after The sims 4 Get together with your cash would they decide to start making great packs?
    You can stop labeling people who have a differing opinion that you do. It's really rude.

I'm not defending EA, I'm explaining that they will not drop packs in development because a vocal minority complained. That would be such a waste of time and resources it's not even funny.
  • Options

You can stop labeling people who have a differing opinion that you do. It's really rude.

I'm not defending EA, I'm explaining that they will not drop packs in development because a vocal minority complained. That would be such a waste of time and resources it's not even funny.

You are offended because I used the word "optimist". I'm a pessimist about the situation and you could go right ahead and call me that because that's what it is just as others are optimistic about it. And when did I say they should drop packs in development? I said I don't like the pack and think it adds nothing.

Walks away baffled that someone is offended over the word optimist.
    You used it to lump people together in a derogatory manner.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited August 2015
    Finbar659 wrote: »
    This is only the second expansion pack, we just need to give the developers more time.

I would think that, given the frosty reception TS4 got at release, and the myriad complaints that have been leveled against it since, the developers would at least be trying to make the first two or three expansions real heavy hitters, with a lot of content like weather, pets, every career imaginable, real story progression etc. The modding community has already shown the Get To Work expansion up to be far less ambitious than what it easily should have been, and this expansion, as far as we can tell right now, barely has any new content at all! It looks like it would be much better suited to being a game pack.

I don't think that it's the end of the world, I just don't think that they're making the right calls as far as expansion pack content and themes goes.

I agree with this. :)

Next year we will probably see the packs we are more familiar with in terms of themes. And probably even the Generations pack we all want.

Just because you don't like a pack it doesn't mean it's the end of the world nor does it measn you have to start hating on everything (sorry for my choice of words there). Things do take time you can't really expect to have everything you want right out of the bat and you have to realize some people did enjoy as you say "the party content" untill now.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    Alysha1988Alysha1988 Posts: 3,452 Member

You are offended because I used the word "optimist". I'm a pessimist about the situation and you could go right ahead and call me that because that's what it is just as others are optimistic about it. And when did I say they should drop packs in development? I said I don't like the pack and think it adds nothing.

Walks away baffled that someone is offended over the word optimist.
    You used it to lump people together in a derogatory manner.

Lol ok.

Is literally laughing out loud right now.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Rflong7 wrote: »

Really?

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/13967943/#Comment_13967943

Yup, sick and tired of the negativity. People literally get what they wanted and they still complained.
    PS did you forget about your forum challenge?
  • Options
    ceyricceyric Posts: 1,584 Member
    At first I used to be vocal about my dislike about TS4, but I don't even bother saying anything anymore. What did all of our countructive criticism get us? Nowhere. They just roll out expansions that aren't even close to what we want, and then give us a survey to continue to string out hope.
    keep on keepin' on
  • Options
    staravia81staravia81 Posts: 369 Member

This so much.

I get the skepticism OP. The survey seems a bit ambitious compared to what has been released thus far. But you can't expect for EA to scrap already worked-on content because some simmers might not like it and want something else. If Maxis is already working with a slashed budget, getting rid of content simply because it's not what some vocal fans want isn't exactly an option. It also won't get simmers requested content any faster.
    My builds!
    EA ID: staravia81
  • Options
    edited August 2015

Really?

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/13967943/#Comment_13967943

Yup, sick and tired of the negativity. People literally get what they wanted and they still complained.

Lol! So, lump it all together. If you're sick of the negativity than put out the positivity. Putting out more negativity must be making you more sick. Don't be sad, be happy since you're happy with it. :mrgreen:

*I have literally not gotten what I wanted for this game. So I get to be sick and tired of it. :)
    You're right, I should be more positive. It's really hard to do sometimes when there is complaining everywhere I go about everything.

I was genuinely happy for those who wanted toddlers and then I go over to the thread to share the big news only to find sour faces again. It's tiring.
  • Options
    Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    I agree with @Finbar659 and @ponderberries. Also, shouldn't this be in the Feedback section of the forum. Oh yeah, you werewere being dramatic and looking for attention.

rude

& why do you come into threads of which you know that you dislike them ?
    nothing else to do ?
    i don't go running around in positive threads & whine there about my problems with TS4

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • Options
    Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    You all realize EA has said for over a year that they heard us and are looking into Toddlers. A Year... and now a survey about if we want toddlers? Are you kiddin' me, Maxis? ...

yup, stalling & red herrings

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • Options
    You all realize EA has said for over a year that they heard us and are looking into Toddlers. A Year... and now a survey about if we want toddlers? Are you kiddin' me, Maxis?

So, yesl- some people will still be unsure and some sour faces will still be showing. I'm not even caring about them for me, this game lacks stuff for me and what I liked about the other games yet I will still hold up for those family players.

Bring on the Negative- I much rather hear what people are thinking than to just have a bunch of happy, happy, joy, joy when everything isn't.

What rant? That wasn't a rant... that was my happy face. :mrgreen:
    You have people who have stayed here, asking for toddlers for a year now, claiming that it may be too late once they are done. Im sitting here like .."Really? You waited a year and you can't wait a bit longer? NOW you've decided to leave?"

And there are people who have been banding together demanding toddlers, who REFUSE to go take the survey to cast their vote for toddlers on simsvip over something so random and childish.

It's baffling to me, and it's very telling as well.
  • Options
    SlawfishSlawfish Posts: 431 Member
    People have been begging for information, but individual developers aren't allowed to utter a word on toddlers (especially toddlers). I see this survey as a way for the team to tell us what they are planning without crossing those lines. Toddlers aren't there because they are unsure about them, they are there so we can get at least some word about them.
    As for other so called "half baked" ideas in the survey. It's not just a survey about expansion packs, but other content as well. I wouldn't mind getting a game pack for example, that is about cars. Sounds nice to me!
    As for this new expansion, we know very little about it yet. It might not have a clear theme that we are used to, but the whole club system sounds like a pretty big core game play change.