May 23rd - It's time for a new Laundry List! You can read more on what's coming next here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Don't Stare at Cats

WooftheWolfieWooftheWolfie Posts: 388 Member
If they continue to stare back for a long period of time they'll jump at you and hiss. I know because my sister's cat does that and he's very scary. It's a big problem for me because I love to stare at cute animals. So cute cats!

Comments

• Options
    xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    My dog does that too. Except he doesn't hiss, he just barks. I think I read somewhere that some animals consider staring to be provocation, but that was a long time ago so don't take my word for it. Maybe stare from far? Or put a mask over your head or something.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options
    rosey1579rosey1579 Posts: 6,272 Member
    If they continue to stare back for a long period of time they'll jump at you and hiss. I know because my sister's cat does that and he's very scary. It's a big problem for me because I love to stare at cute animals. So cute cats!

Oh no!
    Everyone shield your eyes! @WooftheWolfie 's profile pic is near!
  • Options
    SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    My friend's dog was like that too. I'd deliberately stare into her eyes just to 🐸🐸🐸🐸 her off. She was such an annoying little piece of work.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,916 Member
    The best thing to do with both cats and dogs is to ignore them entirely. That puts you at the top of the Pack with dogs and not threatening with cats. Staring is a "Power Struggle".

I don't particularly like cats but they unerringly come and sit on my lap without any encouragement when I visit friends or relatives' houses. Then they turn round and round making themselves comfortable and me having to sit without moving for minutes at a time. :#
  • Options
    I'm trying to intimidate my dog by staring at him but he's just looking away. Does he know my plans?! :'(
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options
    br560br560 Posts: 1,836 Member
    xBob18 wrote: »
    I'm trying to intimidate my dog by staring at him but he's just looking away. Does he know my plans?! :'(

Usually, when you look into a dog's eyes, they think you're going to try and fight them so they'll either look away and be polite or they'll begin to act viciously towards you.
    Br560.
    Playing the sims since 2012
  • Options
    br560 wrote: »

Usually, when you look into a dog's eyes, they think you're going to try and fight them so they'll either look away and be polite or they'll begin to act viciously towards you.
    I guess it depends on their mood. My dog's pretty chill right now haha
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,916 Member

He is acknowledging you as Pack Leader. Probably is a bit worried about the stare too.

• Options
    Mchap353 wrote: »

He is acknowledging you as Pack Leader. Probably is a bit worried about the stare too.
    Awe! I taught him well.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options
    Dogs and cats are so cute.
  • Options
    Fairy_HappyFairy_Happy Posts: 8,912 Member
    edited July 2015
    LOL they consider it a challenge if you stare into their eyes.

Brownie's the same way, but he's start growling or looks away. But he's usually growling lol.
  • Options
    aleneghan619aleneghan619 Posts: 4,947 Member
    my cats come and sit on my lap when i stare at them.

My dog gets so embarrassed when you stare at her, she looks and then awkwardly looks away, and keeps glancing back to see if you are still staring. it's quite funny.
    tumblr_inline_movqnq54lT1qz4rgp.gif

• Options
    Fairy_HappyFairy_Happy Posts: 8,912 Member
    edited July 2015
    My sister had a Maine C.oon cat that would sit on top of the bookcase and stare at YOU, not the other way around. lol

Edit: The censored words? Really?

• Options
    SimSwim2SimSwim2 Posts: 2,481 Member
    If I meowed at my cat he would meow back.
    Origin ID: StripedRainbow
  • Options
    rosey1579rosey1579 Posts: 6,272 Member
    I'm too busy hugging and stroking my dogs when they're awake.
    When they're asleep I'm too busy taking pictures of them:
    29nj77p.jpg
  • Options
    Sue_D_NimSue_D_Nim Posts: 2,553 Member
    On the other hand, if your cat stares into your eyes and does a slow blink with both eyes, it means "I love you." You should definitely do it back.
  • Options
    @Sue_D_Nim I know about that and I always tries to do it often but he never does it back! Bad Mittens!
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Yeah, dogs interpret eye contact as a sign of aggression. That's why you shouldn't stare at unfamiliar dogs at an eye-to-eye level. There have been stories of security dogs attacking people who did this.

If they think you're the pack leader, they'll probably be more subservient, I believe.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    OuterseOuterse Posts: 289 Member
    If I stare at my dog too long she'll duck her head between her legs and whine then walk over and lay on my feet after I look away.

My cat on the other hand just stares back...she must really enjoy staring contests (its probably because she always wins)
  • Options
    puddleduck1puddleduck1 Posts: 179 Member
    icmnfrsh wrote: »
    Yeah, dogs interpret eye contact as a sign of aggression. That's why you shouldn't stare at unfamiliar dogs at an eye-to-eye level. There have been stories of security dogs attacking people who did this.

If they think you're the pack leader, they'll probably be more subservient, I believe.

Totally true, although if I stare into my cats eyes, she gets cutie pie and cuddles closer.
  • Options

Totally true, although if I stare into my cats eyes, she gets cutie pie and cuddles closer.
    I wish my sister's cat was like that. I like loving cats.
  • Options

I wish my sister's cat was like that. I like loving cats.

I like fluffy cats, like Scottish Folds. :3 I wish cats and dogs would just get along.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    I think dogs and cats can get along just fine if you raise them together while they're still babies.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options
    emmaningemmaning Posts: 3,407 Member
    I hate cats & dogs tbh.
    Altho there is more thn one type of stare.
    They look different.
    Aggressive stare
    Aww tht is cute stare
    Shocked stare
    Annoyed stare
    Loving stare
    Really? stare
    Embarrassed stare
    Flirty stare
    Etc etc
    feKqkxf.jpg

My blog: ning's backlog
    Don't forget the forum rules are on the forum- go find 'em!
  • Options
    I think dogs and cats can get along just fine if you raise them together while they're still babies.

That's what I heard. Of course, most of my family also dislike cats, so there's no chance of that happening. :p