Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA silence on family play and family play fans

Comments

• Options
    ecm18ecm18 Posts: 71 Member
    edited July 2015
    Spa Day is a real thing. And I cannot express my disappointment any more than I can now. I'd much rather have toddlers and more family gameplay instead of the latest pack aimed at the adult stages. Plus I'll probably only use a spa on a few occasions... :neutral:
    Post edited by ecm18 on
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    marcellala wrote: »
    Canes are really missing for me,too. I didn't want to disregard your opinion, just wanted to give them credit were i personally think credit is due. At the moment, i play a lot Sims 4, but as always the more i play the more i miss toddlers. And teens need an overhaul, too.
    Yeah I miss canes. Age spots too. But both I could see being added in a generations EP. That's really cool you are appreciating the elders in the game. But yes I did laugh at the old Nina still trying to strut her stuff. So thank you for sharing the pictures.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Neia wrote: »
    bekkasan wrote: »
    The sad thing that graham and the others involved in development don't understand is I don't want or need another piece of 'visual punch' deco in the game if I don't have the gameplay to make me enjoy the game to begin with. I would rather they have that dude that spent two to three days making a nonessential piece of background garbage that just ticks me off because it doesn't WORK start working on toddlers. When will they understand just how THEY are destroying the Sims.

Problem is, the FX guys don't have the work skills required to make toddlers, it's like asking for the hospital receptionist to start some surgeries because there are too many patients waiting. Unless you want a FX toddler, but I don't think that's the case.
    I think that was what made me wonder about the quote. Is the ratio of developer and FX balanced enough for the Sims 4? I guess that's the business side of my curiousity is wondering if there are enough developers or not to support the Sims 4? I mean I know finances are short because of budgets EA sets, but then EA did decide to move resources from the Sims 4 to Titanfall, so players really shouldn't be blamed if things like toddlers or beards are too expensive to do. I get the challenge part and that developers are probably dealing with a new engine and trying to figure that out. I don't know. It gets very confusing trying to understand their logic sometimes.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    mwyatt139mwyatt139 Posts: 374 Member
    I have uninstalled the Sims 4 after much deliberation with myself. I'll still check in for news and threads I've commented on but I can't offer advice or solutions really because my game is only updated to the most recent patch, I only have GTW and OR installed with it and I can only really give more informed advice if you have a Mac or general question. If you have a question and you have a pack that I don't, I can't help you
    Link to my Facebook feel free to friend me: https://www.facebook.com/Spiritualanddifferent
    Link to my blog: https://www.merismusings.wordpress.com
    Link to my Twitter (used mainly for promoting my blog): https://twitter.com/BridgetW1990
    Add me on Origin: mwyatt139

event.png
  • Options
    rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    On a side note: EA must really be on a tight budget. Even this forum is acting plum lately.

Guess it's too difficult and time consuming to fix. ;)
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    The sad thing that graham and the others involved in development don't understand is I don't want or need another piece of 'visual punch' deco in the game if I don't have the gameplay to make me enjoy the game to begin with. I would rather they have that dude that spent two to three days making a nonessential piece of background garbage that just ticks me off because it doesn't WORK start working on toddlers. When will they understand just how THEY are destroying the Sims.

Problem is, the FX guys don't have the work skills required to make toddlers, it's like asking for the hospital receptionist to start some surgeries because there are too many patients waiting. Unless you want a FX toddler, but I don't think that's the case.
    I think that was what made me wonder about the quote. Is the ratio of developer and FX balanced enough for the Sims 4? I guess that's the business side of my curiousity is wondering if there are enough developers or not to support the Sims 4? I mean I know finances are short because of budgets EA sets, but then EA did decide to move resources from the Sims 4 to Titanfall, so players really shouldn't be blamed if things like toddlers or beards are too expensive to do. I get the challenge part and that developers are probably dealing with a new engine and trying to figure that out. I don't know. It gets very confusing trying to understand their logic sometimes.

Maybe they will need more FX at some point (weather ? new worlds ? magic ?), maybe the FX are less complex/risky so they didn't grow out of scope as much as other fields (and so ended up with "free" time), maybe the FX was less impacted by the Online/Offline transition or maybe they didn't evaluate correctly the number of FX they would need. There is not just FX/developpers though, SimGuruGraham said there was 19 disciplines if I remember right so it must quite hard to balance everything perfectly :tongue:
  • Options
    ThrippaThrippa Posts: 678 Member
    edited July 2015
    They make it sound like it doesn't matter what the game actually needs, these are the people we have available for the project, so we'll cripple the project however much we need to fit the staffing rather than acquire enough of the correct personnel to make it right. Like if with the carport we're trying to replace, the contracter said, "I've got plenty of painters and a few carpenters, but I couldn't find the brickmason and roofer. But that's okay, we have lots of painters so we'll just paint the bricks and shingles on the plywood."

No wonder the game has so many plywood backdrops - they had plenty of 'painters' around, but no 'horticulturists' to grow real 3D trees.
  • Options
    rudolpharudolpha Posts: 998 Member
    Re the canes for elders, I detested having them in sims 3 and do not want them back. They are not typical, of the age and only used by some people in real life. I don't like the droopy shoulders for the elders either, this is not typical for all of that age, just some people. There are huge differences in real life elders between 65 and 85 and I'd rather not see the 85 age group as representative for all. It's as bad to me as seeing babies turn to children or children turn to teens.
  • Options
    MzB06MzB06 Posts: 1,200 Member
    edited July 2015
    Goodywood wrote: »
    MzB06 wrote: »
    Omg @Goodywood I could never get my tot's to do that. After all of these years, that's my first time seeing them escape from their crib lol.

Really?! I remember seeing my toddler do this. They also play in the toilet, so you have to lock that bathroom door or you'll have a big mess to clean. lol

https://youtu.be/18PrLBPWBxo?t=3m29s

@MzB06 They were fun in Sims 2. Sooo adorable. Imagine how cute they can make them now 11 years later since Sims 2?
    @Goodywood
    Yes lol I do not know why I never saw them escape, but I do remember when they would played in the toilet. :D Fun times!

I really would love to see how adorable they would be with the new emotions. Not all of them, but some of the emotions. I mean what would it look like if we had an insane and evil toddler........... tumblr_mqddgfe3sa1s1vnmdo1_500.gif ?????? :s I don't know if I'd let that tot play with any other.I'll pass on the Chuckies. :D
    Post edited by MzB06 on
  • Options
    MzB06MzB06 Posts: 1,200 Member
    I don't remember if I shared this before, but it says why FX effects were included but why pools and toddlers were not.
    Capture3.png

I do not know if I am reading too much into what he is trying to say, but what I interpreted was

"EA fired all of the people who worked on the best features of the game, and they do not pay the current workers enough to focus on what the customers really want out of the game." "We also had to take certain workable aspects/ features out of the base game to sell back later for a higher profit." "To briefly calm down the flack, we released pools, ghosts; build objects, etc... for free because we quickly realized that we were experiencing a large mass of scrutiny after the release of the TS4."

Ok got it!!! awkward.jpg
    :D
  • Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member

Maybe they will need more FX at some point (weather ? new worlds ? magic ?), maybe the FX are less complex/risky so they didn't grow out of scope as much as other fields (and so ended up with "free" time), maybe the FX was less impacted by the Online/Offline transition or maybe they didn't evaluate correctly the number of FX they would need. There is not just FX/developpers though, SimGuruGraham said there was 19 disciplines if I remember right so it must quite hard to balance everything perfectly :tongue:

I'm sure it's a challenge to get the balance just right. But these people are professionals with lots of experience so they should have been able to do it. And if not, they should have hired the correct people to do it and/or delayed the game so they could have released a finished base game. They obviously didn't do that. So they have to take the responsibility. I'm in agreement with @bekkasan, for many of us they are killing the Sims series and it's definitely not the fault of the customers.

@rudolpha I agree with not liking the stereotypes for the elders. I didn't much care for that either. OTOH, we all know that with the exception of children, the other life stages must have been rushed and are also really unfinished. Even the children need more activities to do; I don't think they're fully fleshed out either. And of course I think the whole game needs more focus on family activities and animations. Again with the unfinished base game. :#
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    I actually liked the canes in the Sims 3. They were equipable, so I had the option to use them or not. That's always something that bothered me in the Sims is that it hasn't really supported disabilities yet. I don't know if it is because it is too sad or not, but I kind of would love to have Sims families with disabilities if done right. Let jetpacks on wheelchairs and elders squishing bugs with canes and crutches that lets Sims magnetize to walls and walk on them. Then again, my ideas could just be too weird for the Sims.
  • Options
    SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    edited July 2015
    I actually liked the canes in the Sims 3. They were equipable, so I had the option to use them or not. That's always something that bothered me in the Sims is that it hasn't really supported disabilities yet. I don't know if it is because it is too sad or not, but I kind of would love to have Sims families with disabilities if done right. Let jetpacks on wheelchairs and elders squishing bugs with canes and crutches that lets Sims magnetize to walls and walk on them. Then again, my ideas could just be too weird for the Sims.

I would like it too. I don't understand why disabilities are never represented in the Sims (life simulation). I know that people that have disabilities in real life maybe doesn't want to think about it when playing, but would be a nice way to show the world that they can have an happy and full life. And given the rating of the game, maybe would also teach something.
  • Options
    SiliClone wrote: »

I would like it too. I don't understand why disabilities are never represented in the Sims (life simulation). I know that people that have disabilities in real life maybe doesn't want to think about it when playing, but would be a nice way to show the world that they can have an happy a
    Yeah I have a disability myself, so I'd be ok with it even if it was cosmetic. Others may not be. I think giving special effects would be cool though, because it would give Sims superpowers in a way. It would be really cute seeing a Sim child with a rocket wheelchair. I don't know. Maybe I'm just in a Jimmy Neutron mood thinking of rockets and science and things.
  • Options
    LoveMcQueen5683LoveMcQueen5683 Posts: 3,689 Member
    I would love wheelchairs and crutches and casts.

And being rocket powered would be awesome as well xD
    LR3g0ni.jpg
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    Thank you for keeping the thread going well while I was away everyone! :) you are all awesome! :)

Peter Moore's interview was tragic. Actually tragic. Because if they were truly listening at EA they would know by now exactly what the issue is and that issue is the quality of TS4 base.

Their customers are not to blame for them hiring the wrong kind of staff. Graham actually said a while ago that he had FX guys 'twiddling their thumbs' waiting for work. Now that statement truly worried me-because it suggests they aren't adequately staffed with the proper disciplines. That's not a criticism of FX guys but obviously they need some developers who can handle the bigger picture tasks! The issue would be staff management and one would hope they had learnt some lessons but it doesn't sound like it with that attitude.

But take a look at his other statements-

http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/24/ea-peter-moore-interview-gamescom-2013/

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ea-we-dont-deliver-offline-experiences-any-more/1100-6413672/

He obviously makes a habit of coming out with controversial comments and I find it truly tragic that someone at that level at EA can be so unaware of the real issues because he's essentially confirming that their 'we are listening' statements are meaningless lip service to try to pacify people in the hope they will buy.
  • Options
    JessicaSimstonJessicaSimston Posts: 2,519 Member
    edited July 2015
    Thank you for keeping the thread going well while I was away everyone! :) you are all awesome! :)

Peter Moore's interview was tragic. Actually tragic. Because if they were truly listening at EA they would know by now exactly what the issue is and that issue is the quality of TS4 base.

Their customers are not to blame for them hiring the wrong kind of staff. Graham actually said a while ago that he had FX guys 'twiddling their thumbs' waiting for work. Now that statement truly worried me-because it suggests they aren't adequately staffed with the proper disciplines. That's not a criticism of FX guys but obviously they need some developers who can handle the bigger picture tasks! The issue would be staff management and one would hope they had learnt some lessons but it doesn't sound like it with that attitude.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ea-we-dont-deliver-offline-experiences-any-more/1100-6413672/

He obviously makes a habit of coming out with controversial comments and I find it truly tragic that someone at that level at EA can be so unaware of the real issues because he's essentially confirming that their 'we are listening' statements are meaningless lip service to try to pacify people in the hope they will buy.

Then he should sell the Sims, he obviously doesn't care for it, it's wrong to have it run under his control...I bet he enjoys owning the number 1 selling pc game of all time...but he just takes advantage of it.
  • Options
    EA never sells games @JessicaSimston :( many of my beloved games like theme hospital under Bullfrog they bought up the studio then wrapped them up without any further work on those games :( then they have all the control over the ideas.
  • Options
    JessicaSimstonJessicaSimston Posts: 2,519 Member
    EA never sells games @JessicaSimston :( many of my beloved games like theme hospital under Bullfrog they bought up the studio then wrapped them up without any further work on those games :( then they have all the control over the ideas.

I know :( That's why I'm so upset. The sad part is, other companies who actually listen to fans are living with the fear of being sued if they dare try and save the life sim genre. EA milk games dry, then throw them into the bin. I fear one day they will have control of the whole gaming culture...*shudders*
  • Options
    @JessicaSimston I know. It's heartbreaking :(
  • Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    I don't need an online experience to keep track of game stats in Sims3. I could care less about the achievements or goals that someone else sets for me. I don't care about them on xbox games either. I realize there are people out there that have a need to 'beat' the game that use these as their reason for playing the game. Fine for them, but for a sandbox game...give me a break. It is not needed. I don't care if my sim whoohoos 15 times in a hot tub, etc. I just care if they fall in love or out of love in the story that I make. I don't need stats for that. If you want that kind of gaming experience go play another game. Don't mess with our sandbox game and I'm sorry if y'all feel differently and will hate me cause I feel this way, but, this was the start of the messing up of the game as far as I am concerned. When simmers and the PTB's decided we had to reach goals...the game got worse. At least with Sims3 the achievements are not mandatory in the sense that I don't have to be online to play. I can choose to log in and chat with friends or send gifts and log out without consequence. Yes, I have met some of the achievements because you can with basic game play and I'm online chatting with friends often enough over the years that those were logged. But, I don't play my game to get the achievements. I play to make my story, my world, my sims lives and sometimes just so I can forget the fricking real world. With 4 you have to sign in so the game can then log your experience. You can sign out, but you are still being logged. That is just an invasion of my privacy as far as I am concerned.

BTW, I did notice @SimGuruDrake finally put a thread up yesterday that they are aware of site issues and are looking into it and will hopefully have it fixed soon. As soon as I read it I got the error 502. LOL. So far this morning, it is ok. Bout time after how long has it been messed up? I don't look for anything from them anymore on a timely basis, considering they still refuse to answer a basic question of 'are you going to put toddlers in the game?'.
  • Options
    ShaobunShaobun Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited July 2015
    Achievements are all fine and good as a bit of extra content on a game that already feels complete and fun... but it a horrible basis for a game. Candy crush can get away with it (although I personally never saw the appeal) but for a AAA pc game? No! For a sandbox AAA game? Definately not!

ETA: Actually I changed my mind. Achievements in game like the sims is kinda awful (for me). It breaks the immersion and feels unnatural. I don't want to know. I want to play my game and do what I think is right for the situation and sims I'm playing.
    Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong. ~ Donald Porter
  • Options
    TerrylinTerrylin Posts: 4,846 Member
    edited July 2015

Peter Moore loves nothing better than being condescending, insulting and rude to gamers. He is an egotist that if he was working for me would be fire and flagged as not employee material, keep away from PR!!! It is beyond me how/why EA even lets this man near any screen/interview or close to any general public with his low opinion of gamers. Basically he acts like we are sheep and because EA makes it it is perfect and the best thing since sliced bread! I am not insulting the man, he does it himself in all of his articles/interviews. I am only pointing it out. :/
    He is even condescending/insulting gamers in the apology for SC2013; http://www.ea.com/news/we-can-do-better

EA doesn't sell game producers,,,,,they only milk them to death, ruin them and then close then down. :(
  • Options
    SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    Shaobun wrote: »
    Achievements are all fine and good as a bit of extra content on a game that already feels complete and fun... but it a horrible basis for a game. Candy crush can get away with it (although I personally never saw the appeal) but for a AAA pc game? No! For a sandbox AAA game? Definately not!

ETA: Actually I changed my mind. Achievements in game like the sims is kinda awful (for me). It breaks the immersion and feels unnatural. I don't want to know. I want to play my game and do what I think is right for the situation and sims I'm playing.

Achievements are good for the Talos Principle, for the Sims they are just annoying.
  • Options
    BreKurtz11BreKurtz11 Posts: 3 New Member
    > @ZhakiraP said:
    > I understand what you mean. And I agree.
    > There is definetly somthing missing in the game when it comes to family play. Family trees are a big part of it, and for a lot of people - toddlers.
    >
    > But I think there´s more to it.
    > We need a generations EP.
    >
    > Teens needs to be fleshed out, because at the moment there just isn´t anything to them. They don´t even look like teens, so there isn´t even a "teen-shell". We need family oriented traits, like nurturing. More family aspirations, and teen specific aspirations.
    >
    > I do think this is coming. I think the developers are well aware of the many, many legacy stories from previous installations. I have hope.

I totally agree because I got the game thinking baby then toddler, but no they have the baby in the casuist until it is child where is the fun watching your baby grow up! please fix this SIMS 4!!!!!!!!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top