Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Could teens be an afterthought?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    SpidersWebSpidersWeb Posts: 1,027 Member
    Piperbird1 wrote: »
    I wonder if there would be the same outrage if they had included toddlers, but left out teens?

I think it would pretty much be the same. I mean just replace the word toddlers with teens in threads about toddlers.

It would've been way weirder if toddlers were the same height as adults though.
    Hilarious, but weird.
    Performance, Price, Portability - pick two.
  • Options
    emmaningemmaning Posts: 3,407 Member
    mwdonohue wrote: »
    emmaning wrote: »
    Baby: 0-1
    Toddler: 1-5
    Kid: 5-10
    Tween: 10-13
    Teen: 13-20
    YA: 20-35
    Adult: 35-54
    Old person: (or as the game calls 'elder') 54-80

That being said each of the lifestages you pointed out (which IMO is considered the perfect complete lifestage cycle), looks wise, should be averaged out and the age is given at that; Except teens. Many teens look like adults at age 17 (at least where I am). So for example, this would be, in my opinion, the guide to go for, for looks:

Baby: 0-1 (obviously can't change much here)
    Toddler: 3
    Kid: 7 (or eight)
    Tween: 11 or 12 (not much of a looks difference but a very contrasting personality when compared to kid)
    Teen: 15
    YA: 22 (There is a very large contrast between 15 and 22 looks-wise)
    Adult: 42
    Elder: 65-80

Ty :) and yes teens do look very much like adults even at 13/14. The teens should be a tiny bit smaller thn adults but look slightly different. Teens are hugely different from adults in ways other thn looks. As a teen myself ik tht the typical teen isn't a copy paste adult but is similar. They look similar in ways but also different. And I agree, a 15 yr old looks different to a 22 yr old, there is a very defined difference in rl but I still struggle to see it other thn body shapes working differently for them in s4.
    feKqkxf.jpg

My blog: ning's backlog
    Don't forget the forum rules are on the forum- go find 'em!
  • Options
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    See, imo- Teens are Young Adults (in RL and the Game) and we really don't need both. *In Game! XD

TS2 added Young Adults so they could be Different from Teens when they went to University but still limited from Adults. They still sounded like Teens but they walked differently than Adults.

YA added in TS3 are just another age of Adult with less facial wrinkles. So, in TS4- is there any difference between Teens and Adults except they can't have children?

Now, I've been enlightened that children are just shrunk down adults. I can see it now. :lmao: :scream:
    Teens aren't young adults, they're different. You said in rl they're young adults, they're not.
    I hate it myself as a teen when ppl call me a young adult or young lady; I am not tht, I'm a teen and if ppl can't see a difference, are their eyes malfunctioning? Should they go for an eye check? Srsly because I look way different from an adult; so does every other teen and anyone who can't see the difference mustn't be using their eyes (I'm being honest) and age isnt an excuse to see teens and YAs as one. The reason I'm saying age isn't an excuse is because calling a teen a YA or a YA a teen is highly offensive in general. I mean like also just because of age it doesn't mean you can't learn words you don't know of and use them so you don't offend others and are correct.
    No teen is the same as a YA; their personality isn't fully developed yet and they're not fully grow yet either. But you need both YAs and adults aswell as teens as believe it or not in rl all 3 are very different from each other. I find having both YA and adult in game allows me to seperate the 2. Having teens is good too but in s4 I feel they were better done thn other games but they feel like an afterthought :cry: do teens want to be thought of as an afterthought in society? No because teens play this game too; I play it and I'm a teen and I know other teens do too. I know of other teens who play s4 in rl and I've met them on the forums.

Sorry this isn't to offend you and it's nothing personal; you didn't direct it towards any teens (fortunately) so none would be offended. I just wanted to state that YAs and teens are vastly different and make sure you and others who see my post won't mix them up as the same thing.
    feKqkxf.jpg

• Options
    SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    There is a difference between teens, Young adults and adults in the face structure. I took these from my text book

the first one is aged 14-15 and is very different from the rest, the secon one is aged 18-20

2zdu3w9.jpg

first one is 25, the secon one is 30

jtpft3.jpg

there is a huge difference between 18-20 and 25 too. Teens in sims 4 doesn't feel like teens also because of this.
  • Options
    ambrownambrown Posts: 804 Member
    i wish they didn't rush to release the game too early.
    just.make.it.right.

jeez.
    you're ele-phantastic
  • Options
    ambrownambrown Posts: 804 Member
    I wonder if there would be the same outrage if they had included toddlers, but left out teens?

yes! because i think what makes most people mad is that it's a LIFE simulation game and they took away a LIFE STAGE.
    i would be equally mad, you can't just delete a life stage -_-
    you're ele-phantastic
  • Options
    Prettyweed870Prettyweed870 Posts: 832 Member
    I have thought teens and toddlers were an after thought from the very beginning. That and the fact that the game was originally intended to be an online game would explain a lot of the game's short comings.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited July 2015
    According to those two guys that posted about having worked on the online version there was only ya/adults in the online version - no babies, toddlers, kids, teens at all. They did not mention elders though. I know the 4 online versions of Sims from Sims Online through EA Land there were also just adults no other life stages period. So I did not expect an on line version now to be any different and still only have the one type sim. Technically it was not until they decided against the online that they started making the other stages. Judging from the appearance of the child - i would gather that was the first age they worked on. They probably did the child first and then that object baby - then ran out of time so just make the elder and teen using the same info they had for YA and AD - making the teen off the YA and the elder off the adult. Then adding in face lines for the elder and adjusting the teen for slightly smaller shoulders and slightly puffier face capacity.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member

It would probably be more jarring, because there's maybe a 6-year gap between babies and children, and a 12-year gap between children and adults. Just as much outrage, though.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    TeresitaTeresita Posts: 630 Member
    Teens? Oh I think you mean, "Younger Adults" :kissing_closed_eyes:
  • Options
    starcrunchstarcrunch Posts: 672 Member
    edited July 2015
    I've said it other places, but I like the older teens in this game. I do really want tweens to bridge the gap with child as it's jarring, but I really hate deferring some of the social/romantic development stuff to YA that would happen inevitably if teens are pushed into their younger category. In real life people entering YA status should already have started to deal with dating in a serious way - the whole point of this stuff happening while being a teenager is to have the support and guidance of a family while the teen is pushing his/her boundaries and establishing their independence and if this is happening later in life that guidance is absent (if they've move out).

What I really wish is the S4 had more family based rules, punishments, and discussions that parents could use to teach their teens (and I wish they had an AI impact). Also I want tweens - as I really do understand that simmers want the younger teen experience - I just don't want to lose the older teen experience now that we have it because I like it a lot!

Edit: terrible typos!
    Post edited by starcrunch on
    OriginID: CrunchedStars
  • Options
    ASDF0716ASDF0716 Posts: 1,703 Member
    edited July 2015
    icmnfrsh wrote: »
    IIRC, when TS4 was still Sims Olympus, there was only one age group featured (guess which).

One of the gurus also said that teens are the same height as adults so that they could recycle animations from the adult stage, thus saving them time that would've been spent redoing the animations for shorter teens, which would've meant extra work that doesn't add anything new to the game.

So yeah, I also believe teens were an afterthought. The children were surprisingly well-done, though.

Translation: "We are too cheap and lazy to do things correctly for a AAA launch- we really just want your money."
  • Options
    coldplay2233coldplay2233 Posts: 451 Member
    the whole game is an afterthought
  • Options
    AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    My eyes have been opened to the truth!
  • Options
    AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
  • Options
    TeresitaTeresita Posts: 630 Member
    Astro wrote: »
    You need this gif:
    xr8yRq4.gif
  • Options
    InvaderchickycatInvaderchickycat Posts: 809 Member
    See, imo- Teens are Young Adults (in RL and the Game) and we really don't need both. *In Game! XD

TS2 added Young Adults so they could be Different from Teens when they went to University but still limited from Adults. They still sounded like Teens but they walked differently than Adults.

YA added in TS3 are just another age of Adult with less facial wrinkles. So, in TS4- is there any difference between Teens and Adults except they can't have children?

Now, I've been enlightened that children are just shrunk down adults. I can see it now. :lmao: :scream:
    Teens aren't young adults, they're different. You said in rl they're young adults, they're not.
    I hate it myself as a teen when ppl call me a young adult or young lady; I am not tht, I'm a teen and if ppl can't see a difference, are their eyes malfunctioning? Should they go for an eye check? Srsly because I look way different from an adult; so does every other teen and anyone who can't see the difference mustn't be using their eyes (I'm being honest) and age isnt an excuse to see teens and YAs as one. The reason I'm saying age isn't an excuse is because calling a teen a YA or a YA a teen is highly offensive in general. I mean like also just because of age it doesn't mean you can't learn words you don't know of and use them so you don't offend others and are correct.
    No teen is the same as a YA; their personality isn't fully developed yet and they're not fully grow yet either. But you need both YAs and adults aswell as teens as believe it or not in rl all 3 are very different from each other. I find having both YA and adult in game allows me to seperate the 2. Having teens is good too but in s4 I feel they were better done thn other games but they feel like an afterthought :cry: do teens want to be thought of as an afterthought in society? No because teens play this game too; I play it and I'm a teen and I know other teens do too. I know of other teens who play s4 in rl and I've met them on the forums.

Sorry this isn't to offend you and it's nothing personal; you didn't direct it towards any teens (fortunately) so none would be offended. I just wanted to state that YAs and teens are vastly different and make sure you and others who see my post won't mix them up as the same thing.

This is a one hundred percent truth. Plus teens come in all shapes and sizes in my HS there were short teens, tall teens ect. Teens being as tall as adults isn't completely realistic and tell me you never met an adult shorter than you when you were young. People come in all heights, their should have been options are at least make the teens one foot shorter it wouldn't have killed them to try. Honestly it probably bugs me seeing everyone the same height in the game since I'm shorter than anyone in my family so it doesn't make the game realistic to me at all in that respect.

I do believe teens were an afterthought it's very obvious.
  • Options
    xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    I hate the adult-like teens. The majority of teens I know don't look that old unless
    they're seniors.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options
    coldplay2233coldplay2233 Posts: 451 Member
    yes it is the truth and it bothers me.
  • Options

This is a one hundred percent truth. Plus teens come in all shapes and sizes in my HS there were short teens, tall teens ect. Teens being as tall as adults isn't completely realistic and tell me you never met an adult shorter than you when you were young. People come in all heights, their should have been options are at least make the teens one foot shorter it wouldn't have killed them to try. Honestly it probably bugs me seeing everyone the same height in the game since I'm shorter than anyone in my family so it doesn't make the game realistic to me at all in that respect.

I do believe teens were an afterthought it's very obvious.
    You're right. You get teens who are practicly the size of a 8 yr old in rl then there's one tht is a tiny bit shorter than an adult then there's the one a bit taller thn an adult. If they added new heights for teens only, there would be a lot more realism. They could just recycle kids for the short ones but give them the teen voices and for female teens give them breasts. Then for the tiny bit shorter thn adult, they could just tweak the current teen to be a bit shorter and they could also for the taller ones tweak them to be a bit taller.
    feKqkxf.jpg

• Options
    ThrippaThrippa Posts: 678 Member
    The whole fact that they can say the teen-height animations wouldn't have added anything to the game shows that they don't understand the Sims series. This is a people life simulator, and making a life stage clearly distinct from the ones around it doesn't add to the game? I didn't like what they did with YA in Sims 3 because they were not adequately distinct to me from the adults, but I could understand to a degree since they were trying to break them away from the college-age stigma/bonus is Sims 2. (The sometimes issue with University was that Sims who went to college got an entire life stage and thus literally lived longer than Sims who did not go to college. This could be good or bad depending on the player's perception.) But the thing is, if you went to a community lot, you could tell fairly easily which stage was which both by appearance and by actions. YA was a functional stage. Sims 3 made it more of an extension to adult, but Sims 4 wants it to be the only stage worth living apparently, with all the party-it-up stuff, it feels sometimes like they want a frat party flavor without the actual fraternity or college. Children have been improved and expanded in a number of ways, but cut in others (what shall we play? Tag, Mary-Mack, Cops and Robbers, Red Hands, Timle Torneau in the pool, or catch or water balloons in the yard? This game wouldn't be bad as a side game like Sims Medieval; it is not a good progression of the main series.

• Options
    Devynsims00Devynsims00 Posts: 3,392 Member
    TS3 children did not impress me, however TS4 does. Bonus there.

However when it now comes to teen-play, it's a generation I find very dull and usually neglected and near skipped over when I play TS4. Granted I am glad we have them, it could be worse such as NOT having them as we do with no toddlers, however I am far from impressed, as I was with the TS3 children version.
    OJGRGDT.gif
  • Options
    makanivalurmakanivalur Posts: 284 Member
    I hated playing teens - would normally let them be in that stage for about two days and then turn them into adults. It seemed tedious and boring. I must say since that Get To School Mod I almost enjoy playing teens and kids more than adults, something I never did before. If Maxis ever adds schools I'll actually stop updating my game for fear that it'll not be as much fun as that fantastic mod...