Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA silence on family play and family play fans

Comments

• Options
    JessicaSimstonJessicaSimston Posts: 2,519 Member
    I just got a text from my sister asking for help.

"Hey Jess, have you got a solution for this? First, my Sims baby got taken away by social services evne though she is ABSOULUTLEY fine, then, the previous generation of my family got culled." The rest of the message was about personal real life stuff, but that message alone highlights EVERYTHING wrong with this game.
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    Aww so cute! Nina is missing out, she's so cute!
  • Options
    ecm18 wrote: »
    Update (if anyone cares): Arabella is basically Don's mini-me. Which is a relief imo, because Nina moved to the other side of town and hasn't seen or spoken to Arabella since she was a baby :/

2ro2wkh.jpg

She looks just like him! I definitley prefer TS2 Don over the TS4 one.
  • Options
    ecm18ecm18 Posts: 71 Member
    @sparkfairy1 Thank you!! I expected Nina to come drop by but you know. At least I can say this game never fails to surprise me!

@JessicaSimston FINALLY someone whose on the same page as me with that. TS4 Don looks very Jersey meathead to me... Especially in his gym gear *shudder*
  • Options

"Hey Jess, have you got a solution for this? First, my Sims baby got taken away by social services evne though she is ABSOULUTLEY fine, then, the previous generation of my family got culled." The rest of the message was about personal real life stuff, but that message alone highlights EVERYTHING wrong with this game.

Update, I posted around various forums looking for help for my sister, only to be told to tell her to "Shut up or learn to like it."
  • Options
    @sparkfairy1 Thank you!! I expected Nina to come drop by but you know. At least I can say this game never fails to surprise me!

@JessicaSimston FINALLY someone whose on the same page as me with that. TS4 Don looks very Jersey meathead to me... Especially in his gym gear *shudder*

Haha, agreed.
  • Options
    KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member

Update, I posted around various forums looking for help for my sister, only to be told to tell her to "Shut up or learn to like it."

Learn to like the game destroying family ties and a feature with an obvious glitch that can hurt the gameplay? Wow. I never imagined there are some people who like game-breaking bugs. Then again, if it doesn't break their game, I guess it doesn't matter and everyone else is just whining. Ugh.
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • Options
    JaciJadeJaciJade Posts: 1,078 Member
    marcellala wrote: »
    Guys, you gotta help me! I'm thinking about getting Zerbu's Go To Schol Mod and i already searched for schools and all the really cool ones apparently use stuff from OR. I also heart that pupil's can go on a field trip if you have OR with this mod.
    This pack is currently at sale and a friend of mine gifted me a kind of pre-paid thingie for helping her move so i could get a game i wanted from Steam, but this was also on sale (and it never costed as much as she gave me in the first place) and i have enough for getting this pack. I'm feeling myself getting weaker and weaker, but i want to not buy it because... EA doesn't deserve the money!!! How can i stay strong?! This question is directed especially at those of you who still haven't bought TS4 or have stopped buying any content at all for it.

You know what? If you want to buy the pack, then I say do it. Life is too short, especially if you like the base game. Enjoy yourself - life can be tough enough as it is. :smiley:

But i don't really want it... i think i'm just having a fit (i hope that's the right Vocabulary) and i would be very angry at myself afterwards. I'm searching for something else to spend it on tomorrow. There's a lot of good games on sale at Steam and i really don't like the base too much either.

ETA: Problem with me is that i'm a very compulsive shopper. It's like "Oh, an almost 200 € epilator. Deal!" And than i use it once and it hurts so much that i never touch it again and get angry at myself. Like a kid or something.

LOL at the epilator, I bought one of those a long time ago. You're not kidding it hurt. Mine went into the trash sad to say.

Thank you EA and thank you Maxis..we got our babies back, Yay!
  • Options

Learn to like the game destroying family ties and a feature with an obvious glitch that can hurt the gameplay? Wow. I never imagined there are some people who like game-breaking bugs. Then again, if it doesn't break their game, I guess it doesn't matter and everyone else is just whining. Ugh.

@JessicaSimston just think those people that said that can't be very nice, best to stay away from them :(

Like @SweetieKaye said this is a huge deal, it goes right to the core of the game and sadly shows their promises of a stable base aren't panning out :(
  • Options
    JenzupJenzup Posts: 1,620 Member
    If anybody wants to see Newcrest and hasn't been able to download it yet, here:

tumblr_npswwmtmyh1up0k3mo1_400.png
    tumblr_npswwmtmyh1up0k3mo2_1280.png

Where's Blossom, Bubbles and Buttercup the Mayor Mrs, Bellum and Mojo jo jo? That is a picture of Townsville correct?

:o They listened and gave us toddlers! Thanks Devs your work is appreciated.
  • Options
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    I clicked on their graves only to have the option to "destroy" them. I can't believe EA stooped so low to edit the culling coding so that the mod wouldn't work! They are so selfish!
    To7m wrote: »
    I clicked on their graves only to have the option to "destroy" them. I can't believe EA stooped so low to edit the culling coding so that the mod wouldn't work! They are so selfish!

Woah! Really? That's very petty if that is the case. They've already given us culling, are they really going to take the Mod away too?

Smh

--T

Ikr. How does what mods we add in OUR personal games effect them in the slightest? Do you think I should make a thread warning people the mod isn't working?
    To7m wrote: »
    bekkasan wrote: »
    I sure hope it works. I thought the culling was not supposed to affect that generation, just much older ones. That is just sad.

Apparently EA have changed the Culling Coding so now it doesn't work with the mod...

--T

That's not been confirmed, it was just a "theory." But as far as I'm concerned, culling wasn't changed with the latest patch, so why are we getting these problems. Ugh. I wouldn't be surprised if EA messed up the mod for their own amusment.

I'm not sure if you know how game programming works, but the developers wouldn't have to change the "culling coding" for the mod to stop working. If the devs fixed bugs in other areas by improving the coding for one area, it can affect how the game works in other areas.
    So it's not that EA changed the coding for how culling works. It's the fact the mod made for the game, no longer works with how the game is programmed.

All you need to do, is revert to an earlier save, and wait for the mod to be updated (it's already been updated 3 times). This has happened since the dawn of Mods for any game. When devs fix bugs, or make improvements, it can mean the way the game is structured changes, and the mod that affects a certain part of the code, doesn't work.

---

I am sorry that you lost your Sims, but I think you're being slightly unrealistic if you think EA are purposely making mods invalid for "amusement" when changing code isn't easy nd has the risk of developers causing major bugs elsewhere.

If anything, you may find if there was tweaks to the actual code that culls in the game, EA maybe slowly working on it behind the scenes to change the way the game removes Sims.

Meanwhile, none of my Sims have been culled and I have the mod installed. And there isn't to many Simmers on Mod The Sims complaining about it not working. Have you got an CC?

All my graves are still intact and none of my Sims have vanished. Unless there is a townie that's gone missing.

So glad I haven't bought the game yet I think I would have murdered someone IRL by now had I had to endure as many problems as I see people complaining about, a game is supposed to be enjoyable not cause people to break down in tears, become frustrated or angry.
  • Options
    I have a family update for you :) My sims went to France because their teenage son rolled a want to go. I edited the town for the first time to set it up as a holiday resort rather than all the daft adventures I didn't want to do!
    I made a camping site at one of the fishing spots and added some fun outdoors store content :)

[img][/img]Screenshot-98_zpsoc5nlh0v.jpg

[img][/img]Screenshot-94_zpsh9wyjtz9.jpg

[img][/img]Screenshot-93_zps4mhsgj3b.jpg

[img][/img]Screenshot-100_zps5mjzrj0f.jpg

I set up a farm at the Nectary and their son loved it!
    [img][/img]Screenshot-102_zpsdqxmfxjt.jpg

[img][/img]Screenshot-105_zpsvlse21kg.jpg

[img][/img]Screenshot-106_zpspayzabuu.jpg

I actually enjoyed it a lot more than I used to with those changes! Some more screenshots to come! :)

Love your pictures but isn't that archery range set up a little close to the hot-air balloon launch/landing area? I realize they are the turned the opposite way but if my sim were in that balloon they'd be more than just a little scared. lol
  • Options
    83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,578 Member

Hi Jess,

culling is a huge problem, I agree, and EA should adress it rather than relying on the modders to fix it. I started this thread in the ideas corner lately (it´s not exclusively about culling though):
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/838274/better-townie-system#latest
    BTW, this is the mod trying to fix the issue: http://modthesims.info/d/545615
    It works better if your sister regularly deletes unwanted townies in Manage worlds.

I never heard of the baby problem yet. I know that there is a severe bug with the babies that they sometimes look as though they were absolutely fine, but they are not. Only thing that hints at your baby being about to starve is a warning poping up on the message board saying that it will be taken away if you don´t feed it. This message can be easily overlooked, but so far, I (for one) always got this message when I experienced this baby bug.
    I personally watch out very carefully for the message board whenever I got a baby in game. Moreover I don´t wait for the baby to cry, but I take care of it even if it doesn´t like I would do with a real life baby. There are babies in real life who stop crying at some point if they are seriously neglegted, so it´s not that unrealistic. Still, I think it´s a severe bug as the babys thumbnail is green so there is no hint at all that it is not well. And there isn´t a mod to fix it, you do have to watch out very carefully. However, your sister could try wether this mod helps: http://modthesims.info/d/545100
    I don´t know whether it applies to bugged babys as well, but it´s worth a try.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Options
    Hey @all thanks for all the nice feedback! I don't care what others think of me if i get the pack, it's more what i think about myself. I got weak with the base ("no toddlers, no deal!" "but it's new and shiny...") and weak with GTW ("Ha, Pre-order cancelled" <Plays the EP at her friends house and gets it on the way back home") and in both cases, it turned out to be not as half as entertaining as i hoped for. I don't know if your normally able to return other Sims 4 stuff than the base, but your definetely not able with this code, so there is no way of telling (my friend who has GTW doesn't have this one).
    All i know is that i didn't want OR when it was announced and i found it to be very shallow in content.
    I know EA won't go bankrupt because i don't buy this thing, but i get angry myself whenever i buy something i don't really use.
    BTW, i don't judge anyone here who buys all TS4 stuff, it's a very personal thing.

ETA: @Scobre thanks for the tips! There are great schools without OR stuff, i just loved the biology lab full of insects from OR and some of the wooden furniture just looks great in it. I think i'm going to download the one i liked so much and try to replace everything that's out of the pack. Frogs instead of insects etc...

Oh no your absolutely right it is a highly personal decision. Just like my decision to not buy would still be in effect even if people were mostly happy with the game. This is so just because of the fact that I got TS3 so late (2012) and still have not finished playing with it. That and I've done enough research (and a bit of personal experience) to know that its better to wait before purchasing a Sims game the longer you wait the better it gets.

I can't tell you how many people posted in the old forums about stuff that was never a problem in my game. When I got 3 it was a very complete game and I played it for a full year before adding any EP's. There were some people who claimed that it didn't play rotationally when I knew it did (well once I figured out I lost their goals/wishes which still stings but at least you can play rotationally) and there were quite a few other claims people made because they had bought early.

When I first got TS3 my telescopes didn't work until a patch and lots of features that came standard with my game I later found out were patched in, so yeah even if everyone were mostly positive about 4 I would still wait but that's just me. I've even seen people talking about having to use mods for (I think it was story progression for TS3) that shocked me cause again when I bought my game it was already in there, so yeah I'm not buying a half finished game that has to be modded or in some other way fixed I'm looking for the premium full price experience. I buy games to play them not find fixes for them.
  • Options
    trollnexustrollnexus Posts: 508 Member
    @Jenzup those are some very wise words, and I wish I knew them before I preordered TS4 all the way back then >.<

Yeah, Story Progression just did not work for me in TS3. It worked splendidly in the beginning, but then after a while all my inactives would do is date, if even that. They wouldn't even get engaged, never mind marry or have babies. That was a huge problem for me, because the combination of no procreation and continued aging meant that my town was soon full of the elderly. It's a sociologist's worst nightmare XD

That's why I had to turn to mods. Looking back, I think it was because EA designed the game to do that in an attempt to accommodate for the fact that my computer wasn't very high-tech back then. Kind of like how they have culling to accommodate low-end computers for TS4. But I feel like it was implemented badly, and although Nraas has warned up and down that using their StoryProgression mod could be a resource drain for a low-end computer, I accepted the risk because I wanted the game to do what I paid for. Now I have a newer computer, though, and it's working better, although I really should get an external fan XD

Honestly, I understand that EA wants to market to as many people as possible, advertising that TS4 can work on lower-end computers, but they really need to admit and accept that The Sims is a game that requires a lot of resources. They should not have pretended that TS4 could reach a broader consumer base, because in an attempt to cater to them, they took out a lot of things that then made the game unsatisfactory (and so not worth $60!!!). The culling is the worst idea ever, for example, but I know there are many other legitimate complaints. Besides, even people with low-end computers probably have difficulty enjoying the game anyway with all the awful bugs, so who's winning here? We all ended up with a rushed, half-baked game that forces a million patches down our throats in the hope that it'll maybe play properly. How is that better than the situation with TS3?

What EA should have done was take their time and develop a full-bodied game that actually works the way it's supposed to. As for people with low-end computers, well, if they wanted the game that badly, then they would have eventually saved up for a better computer and bought it in due time, and by then the game would have been nicely discounted anyway. And if they really couldn't afford to do that, well, then it's not the end of the world; they would continue playing previous iterations of the game or move on to a different game. And I highly doubt they would have blamed EA for their computer's inability to run TS4 at that point, or if they did blame EA it would be in the minority.

And then EA could have swum in a sea of accolades for making a prized game that many people aspired to buy.

But oh well. Like the premades of TS4, all that is just living in an alternate universe XD
  • Options
    Anemone7Anemone7 Posts: 3,950 Member
    edited June 2015
    Update (if anyone cares): Arabella is basically Don's mini-me. Which is a relief imo, because Nina moved to the other side of town and hasn't seen or spoken to Arabella since she was a baby :/

2ro2wkh.jpg

I do see the original Nina Caliente in her nose, though. And i haven't played her TS2 version in ages! TS2 genetics are just the best and make for the closest connection between parents and kids.

@JaciJade Yeah, using an epilator was like playing TS4 for the first time: Just painful.
  • Options
    trollnexus wrote: »
    @Jenzup those are some very wise words, and I wish I knew them before I preordered TS4 all the way back then >.<

Yeah, Story Progression just did not work for me in TS3. It worked splendidly in the beginning, but then after a while all my inactives would do is date, if even that. They wouldn't even get engaged, never mind marry or have babies. That was a huge problem for me, because the combination of no procreation and continued aging meant that my town was soon full of the elderly. It's a sociologist's worst nightmare XD

That's why I had to turn to mods. Looking back, I think it was because EA designed the game to do that in an attempt to accommodate for the fact that my computer wasn't very high-tech back then. Kind of like how they have culling to accommodate low-end computers for TS4. But I feel like it was implemented badly, and although Nraas has warned up and down that using their StoryProgression mod could be a resource drain for a low-end computer, I accepted the risk because I wanted the game to do what I paid for. Now I have a newer computer, though, and it's working better, although I really should get an external fan XD

Honestly, I understand that EA wants to market to as many people as possible, advertising that TS4 can work on lower-end computers, but they really need to admit and accept that The Sims is a game that requires a lot of resources. They should not have pretended that TS4 could reach a broader consumer base, because in an attempt to cater to them, they took out a lot of things that then made the game unsatisfactory (and so not worth $60!!!). The culling is the worst idea ever, for example, but I know there are many other legitimate complaints. Besides, even people with low-end computers probably have difficulty enjoying the game anyway with all the awful bugs, so who's winning here? We all ended up with a rushed, half-baked game that forces a million patches down our throats in the hope that it'll maybe play properly. How is that better than the situation with TS3?

What EA should have done was take their time and develop a full-bodied game that actually works the way it's supposed to. As for people with low-end computers, well, if they wanted the game that badly, then they would have eventually saved up for a better computer and bought it in due time, and by then the game would have been nicely discounted anyway. And if they really couldn't afford to do that, well, then it's not the end of the world; they would continue playing previous iterations of the game or move on to a different game. And I highly doubt they would have blamed EA for their computer's inability to run TS4 at that point, or if they did blame EA it would be in the minority.

And then EA could have swum in a sea of accolades for making a prized game that many people aspired to buy.

But oh well. Like the premades of TS4, all that is just living in an alternate universe XD

Totally agree with this I still am stumped because Sims has always been released on multiple gaming devices like on console, internet games, tablets. There was always different versions of the game so why couldn't they just have released this as a console game or something instead of making it the next sims for pc? I'm not the only one nor the first to ask this. They surely would/should have known (especially as of pre-release many people were making lists of what wasn't going to be in the game and a petition signed to delay it) that such a scaled back game was not going to make the long term fan happy. If they had just released a new console game they could have bought themselves some time to put out the completed computer version, satisfied those who couldn't wait, given a preview of what 4 was going to be like and at the same time created revenue for themselves?
  • Options
    trollnexustrollnexus Posts: 508 Member
    Exactly! Those are excellent ideas you listed! Or they could have even gone through with that online game (haha) and not call it TS4.

Honestly, their market research team failed in whatever predictions they made. Which is understandable, because the market can get unpredictable, and hindsight's 20/20. But I do hope they've learned their lesson :/
  • Options
    83bienchen wrote: »

Hi Jess,

culling is a huge problem, I agree, and EA should adress it rather than relying on the modders to fix it. I started this thread in the ideas corner lately (it´s not exclusively about culling though):
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/838274/better-townie-system#latest
    BTW, this is the mod trying to fix the issue: http://modthesims.info/d/545615
    It works better if your sister regularly deletes unwanted townies in Manage worlds.

I never heard of the baby problem yet. I know that there is a severe bug with the babies that they sometimes look as though they were absolutely fine, but they are not. Only thing that hints at your baby being about to starve is a warning poping up on the message board saying that it will be taken away if you don´t feed it. This message can be easily overlooked, but so far, I (for one) always got this message when I experienced this baby bug.
    I personally watch out very carefully for the message board whenever I got a baby in game. Moreover I don´t wait for the baby to cry, but I take care of it even if it doesn´t like I would do with a real life baby. There are babies in real life who stop crying at some point if they are seriously neglegted, so it´s not that unrealistic. Still, I think it´s a severe bug as the babys thumbnail is green so there is no hint at all that it is not well. And there isn´t a mod to fix it, you do have to watch out very carefully. However, your sister could try wether this mod helps: http://modthesims.info/d/545100
    I don´t know whether it applies to bugged babys as well, but it´s worth a try.

Hiya. I spoke to her on the phone today, she did say the baby was fine but she didn't go into details. I didn't get chance to ask her about the culling. Thankfuly, she told me she doesn't play any household for to long and was planning to move on anyway. All these glitches NEED sorting out, but in my sisters case, no permanent damge done :)
  • Options
    mwyatt139mwyatt139 Posts: 374 Member
    Jenzup wrote: »
    I have a family update for you :) My sims went to France because their teenage son rolled a want to go. I edited the town for the first time to set it up as a holiday resort rather than all the daft adventures I didn't want to do!
    I made a camping site at one of the fishing spots and added some fun outdoors store content :)

I actually enjoyed it a lot more than I used to with those changes! Some more screenshots to come! :)

Love your pictures but isn't that archery range set up a little close to the hot-air balloon launch/landing area? I realize they are the turned the opposite way but if my sim were in that balloon they'd be more than just a little scared. lol

AHH I wish I still had all my Sims 3 stuff!!! When did Archery come in?
    Link to my Facebook feel free to friend me: https://www.facebook.com/Spiritualanddifferent
    Link to my blog: https://www.merismusings.wordpress.com
    Link to my Twitter (used mainly for promoting my blog): https://twitter.com/BridgetW1990
    Add me on Origin: mwyatt139

event.png
  • Options
    ecm18ecm18 Posts: 71 Member
    @marcellala Now that she's a YA I definitely see the Nina in her. She still heavily favors Don to me, but the nose and eye shape are from Nina. I 110% agree with the genetics thing, I always can pinpoint what they got from which parent. That makes me a happy legacy player o:)

19r3wm.jpg
  • Options
    mwyatt139 wrote: »

AHH I wish I still had all my Sims 3 stuff!!! When did Archery come in?

It came with Dragon Valley from the store :)
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member

Where's Blossom, Bubbles and Buttercup the Mayor Mrs, Bellum and Mojo jo jo? That is a picture of Townsville correct?
    Thanks Jenzup. Now I wish the Sims 4 had toddlers so I could make them. XD I loved the Powerpuff Girls. That show was actually inspired by the artist Margaret Keane with her big eye paintings.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    A lot has happened in my Sims 3 game recently, and I've only really showed pictures of one of my Sims, so I'll introduce them properly. It started with Jack Ridley, who is a single dad to a kid called Kaylib, and his mom Anna is currently helping out, but recently 2 new Sims have joined the Ridley household.

o6czev.jpg[/img]
    Jack got himself a new girlfriend named Rosalind.

30a810h.jpg
    He proposed during their date on a hot air ballon. To his delight, she said yes!

vr981w.jpg
    Rosalind soon became pregnant. I was going to wait until they got married to have a baby, but I was so excited to see what their kids looked like I couldn't resist!

2ytu0ax.jpg
    Rosalind gossiping with Jack's mom, with Kaylib playing in the background.

2rd976d.jpg
    After what seemed like forever, Rosalind gave birth to a beautiful baby girl named Chloe :)
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top